Rumour: PlayStation 5 Is More Powerful Than Xbox Scarlett, According To Devs

AbsolutSurgen

Who to trust...

Journalists (plural) who are hearing murmurs from devs directly

or

A frankenlist of unsubstantiated rumors dumped on twitter and reddit on different occasions

Hmmmm.  Real toughy.

... It’s early.  Things could change.  But if there’s more to the story, we could expect to hear it from other journalists repudiating the claims.

On 6/17/2019 at 2:39 PM, Paperclyp said:

1. I would be pretty surprised. 

2. Moriarty is bad. 

How is he bad? He was certainly the best of Kinda Funny before they turned on him like wild dogs for a joke that was actually offensive to nobody. At least he ain’t licking bags like Greg and Tim. Nick is ok and knows nothing about games.

At least Colin is measured and honest when he talks about games.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:34 PM, TomCat said:

not sure why people are tripping about early dev kits.  none of them have any final silicon in them.  so why are people tripping about whats in them right now.  Wait til the final kits are released to worry about power.  the SOC's are not even in production yet.   

I dont believe that Sony will have the better system.  MS has stated that they will have HARDWARE RAYTRACING    Sony has not mentioned any kind of Hardware raytracing.

@AbsolutSurgen  custom architecture from MS was proven with the 1x.  they did alot of customizing to the acrhitecture to remove Hundreds of bottlenecks to make the system perform better.  Allowing it to be able to achieve NATIVE 4k  on games that people said it had not chance of achieving 

Sony hasn't said anything about Ray Tracing because they literally haven't said anything yet. Its absoilutely ridiculous (and a lot sad) how you stan for microsoft. Devs are saying PS5 is more powerful, and you are screaming "Ray Tracing" and making ridiculous points. 

Look, power means almost nothing, it's all about the games. And when it comes to the games on Xbox right now, I have to say my Switch is the better console. Its not the more powerful console (fucking obviously), but it is better, for me and millions of others. The way you fellate microsoft, i'd swear that you either A) Work for them, or B) Are a 15 year old child who needs to pick a side because mom and dad bought him an xbox, and his thing needs to be the best. 

Seriously, you ignore facts all the time to make ridiculous claims, and it just makes you look ridiculous instead. 

Native 4k. LOL. Not happening with either. 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

Idk about Moriarty’s video game takes but he’s a fucking moron when he talks about politics and race

In what way is he a moron? Because he isn't a progressive, and believes in positions on both sides of the political spectrum? Sounds like most sane people to me. 

And bullshit on the race stuff, Colin has never said anything racist. I'm not even really a fan, but the ridiculous left wing hit job on him is absolutely disgusting. 

41 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Who to trust...

Journalists (plural) who are hearing murmurs from devs directly

or

A frankenlist of unsubstantiated rumors dumped on twitter and reddit on different occasions

Hmmmm.  Real toughy.

... It’s early.  Things could change.  But if there’s more to the story, we could expect to hear it from other journalists repudiating the claims.

Obviously we believe reddit, because Tomcat wants us to believe the xbox is better without evidence or proof! 

1 hour ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Native 4k. LOL. Not happening with either. 

Like this gen, it’ll vary game by game.  Same goes for framerate.

A game that doesn’t resort to raytracing, for example, would be much more likely to hit a native 4K standard consistently.

If the PC space is any indication, raytracing will go will hand in hand with temporal reconstruction.  (Checkerboarding, or some sort of DLSS equivalent?) Possibly lower upscaled resolution targets too.

If the consoles DON’T go there, then Nvidia will be the real winner, bang for buck.  That could already be the case if AMD can’t sufficiently strike back against tensor cores.  On the negative, that could leave more developers opting not to focus on raytracing because of a high performance cost on consoles.

It’d be hilarious if a Switch successor was better optimized for raytracing than these new machines.  Although I highly doubt Nintendo would go there.

Sony hasn't said anything about Ray Tracing because they literally haven't said anything yet.

Stretching the truth there... 

The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

That info was relayed to Wired via Cerny. 

In what way is he a moron? Because he isn't a progressive, and believes in positions on both sides of the political spectrum? Sounds like most sane people to me. 

And bullshit on the race stuff, Colin has never said anything racist. I'm not even really a fan, but the ridiculous left wing hit job on him is absolutely disgusting. 

I never said it’s bad to be in the middle and never called him racist. Lmfao 

I’ll still wait and see. I doubt the kits devs have for both PS5 and Scarlett are final yet. Sony could scale back somewhere to cut cost or to reallocate resources for the OS. MS too. Or both could see a bump from what devs have now because some of the tech isn’t finished yet. The current kits could be based on what 

Sony/MS is aiming for. 

I was expecting MS to have a next system that is stronger but closer to the 1X for around $400. Then a lower quantity, more “pro” version that would be $600 for early adopters. Like the difference between the 1S and 1X, the pro version capable of hitting higher resolutions and frame rates more consistently with some added visual settings also turned on. 

The one thing about staying with Xbox going to Scarlett that I am looking forward to is the way MS is handling hardware compatibility and library migration. With my entire game library on external HDD and SSD all  I will have to do is plug in those drives to Scarlett and I can still play any game. 

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Damn... that sentiment sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder where I heard it?

On 6/18/2019 at 2:34 PM, TomCat said:

not sure why people are tripping about early dev kits.  none of them have any final silicon in them.  so why are people tripping about whats in them right now.  Wait til the final kits are released to worry about power.  the SOC's are not even in production yet.   

Oh yeah... THAT'S where I heard it :p

I’ll still wait and see. I doubt the kits devs have for both PS5 and Scarlett are final yet. Sony could scale back somewhere to cut cost or to reallocate resources for the OS. MS too. Or both could see a bump from what devs have now because some of the tech isn’t finished yet. The current kits could be based on what 

Sony/MS is aiming for. 

Here too :p

1 hour ago, Rodimus said:

Is it possible they are talking about Lockhart low end model of the next xbox?

Very possible the kits are based on the now defunked lockhart and not the Anaconda. Oh my the Crow that will be eaten.   Me myself I like to listen to the people making the systems.  MS execs have said that they are aiming to have the most powerful machine.  They cant declare its the most powerful until they see actual specs from sony but they have a damn good idea.

2 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Is it possible they are talking about Lockhart low end model of the next xbox?

Probably not.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Damn... that sentiment sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder where I heard it?

Oh yeah... THAT'S where I heard it :p

Here too :p

They are just talking about the relative power of the dev kits.  However, power of dev kits TENDS to be linked to the expected power of the final product.

No one can talk with confidence about ANYTHING on these new consoles until July/August of next year.  (Even their release dates.)

19 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Probably not.

They are just talking about the relative power of the dev kits.  However, power of dev kits TENDS to be linked to the expected power of the final product.

No one can talk with confidence about ANYTHING on these new consoles until July/August of next year.  (Even their release dates.)

Yes but by all accounts, the dev kits themselves aren't even final yet... so again, what exactly are people arguing about?

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes but by all accounts, the dev kits themselves aren't even final yet... so again, what exactly are people arguing about?

Of course, final dev kits are based on  final silicon.  The pre-release dev kits are based on PCs that are specced to represent target performance.  People are discussing the rumours.

My money is they are gonna be damn near identical.  Each will have some special sauce marketing hype, but end of the day, they will be so damn close, especially these days where the differences are harder and harder to really visually see.

If one tries to "win" it'd probably be on price.

3 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

My money is they are gonna be damn near identical.  Each will have some special sauce marketing hype, but end of the day, they will be so damn close, especially these days where the differences are harder and harder to really visually see.

If one tries to "win" it'd probably be on price.

You are probably right but right now I'm of the belief that ps5 is using navi10 and Xbox will use navi 20. I think xbox is using navi 20 because they said they will have HARDWARE raytracing. According to amd's roadmap you only get that with the full rdna navi 20    the Navi 10 will use software raytracing

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

I’ll call bullshit on this.

This same thing is said at the beginning of every console generation now.  I expect the same parting lines to be drawn as usual: resolution and framerate.  That won’t change.  Perhaps to a lesser extent, raytracing performance.  We’re guaranteed to see some developers overextend this next gen, especially on the weakest platform.  Something will give.

Even more to the point, there will be more mid-cycle refreshes.  The weakest machine will look like a chump after then, because of moving targets.  Hell, this generation the S became thought of as the lowest denominator, not the original One.

I wouldn’t want to own the weakest console if history repeats itself.  It’s also why I’ll likely wait for the mid-cycle.  That, and for exclusives and larger discounts on early gen titles.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

I’ll call bullshit on this.

This same thing is said at the beginning of every console generation now.  I expect the same parting lines to be drawn as usual: resolution and framerate.  That won’t change.  Perhaps to a lesser extent, raytracing performance.  We’re guaranteed to see some developers overextend this next gen, especially on the weakest platform.  Something will give.

Even more to the point, there will be more mid-cycle refreshes.  The weakest machine will look like a chump after then, because of moving targets.  Hell, this generation the S became thought of as the lowest denominator, not the original One.

I wouldn’t want to own the weakest console if history repeats itself.  It’s also why I’ll likely wait for the mid-cycle.  That, and for exclusives and larger discounts on early gen titles.

phil has said no midgen refresh this system will be strong enough that it wont need one

13 minutes ago, TomCat said:

phil has said no midgen refresh this system will be strong enough that it wont need one

He didn't say that.  On the Giant Bomb interview he said it wont be the last console, and depending on where technology and expectations go, they'll do what is needed.

People will still claim superiority of course, but the difference of 1080p vs 720p are a lot more apparent and obvious than a 4k vs 4k checkeroarded or whatever the differences might be going forward in future hardware.

The higher and higher resolutions we get, you keep getting diminishing returns.  With all the different rendering techniques they use too, its difficult to figure out exactly what is what anyway.  

360 vs PS3 was mostly an architecture disparity.  Cell sucked to work with, 360 was easy for developrs.   Sony learned their lesson.

XB1 vs PS4 was a staight up power issue along with architecture.  PS4 was a dream to work with, XB1X was an underpowered convuluted multimedia device.  Microsoft learned their lesson.

Now unless one of them are dumb enough to repeat old mistakes, I expect both to have a very developer friendly box, both 100% focused on game performance.  I think one of the main differentiators maybe PSVR, and what MS is goign to do about VR.