Rumour: PlayStation 5 Is More Powerful Than Xbox Scarlett, According To Devs

AbsolutSurgen

PlayStation 5 Is More Powerful Than Xbox Scarlett, According To Devs

On the latest episode of his podcast, former IGN editor Colin Moriarty revealed that the PlayStation 5 is more powerful than the Xbox Scarlett, judging from reports of developers who have received the developer kits for both systems. While it’s true that the final specs of consoles are different from the ones seen in the dev kits, there’s a good chance that this report is right, as this isn’t the first time we heard that the Sony next-gen console is going to be the more powerful than Microsoft’s system.

I’d expect these things to be damn near identical this time around.  Microsoft ain’t gonna be messing around with Kinect and TV stuff.  I’d really be shocked if one was substantially more powerful than the other.

I did also see rumors Xbox scrapped the cheaper weaker box and are just building one console.

8 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I’d expect these things to be damn near identical this time around.  Microsoft ain’t gonna be messing around with Kinect and TV stuff.  I’d really be shocked if one was substantially more powerful than the other.

I did also see rumors Xbox scrapped the cheaper weaker box and are just building one console.

Maybe. 

1) Sony may have been able to leverage higher volumes to negotiate a lower price

2). Even though they are using same tech, Sony may have larger chip

I could easily see one console be 20%+ faster than the other. 

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Dang, I really thought they would admit that it's not more powerful.

"Our most powerful console ever" has been in all the marketing.  As opposed to "the most powerful console ever."

They're covering their bases, so its not an outright admission.  But they do probably know most of what Sony is doing regardless.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

"Our most powerful console ever" has been in all the marketing.  As opposed to "the most powerful console ever."

They're covering their bases, so its not an outright admission.  But they do probably know most of what Sony is doing regardless.

Phil Spencer claimed not to know in his Bomb @ nite interview. 

I feel their only time being clearly the most powerful was the first generation they entered. The second time, the awful PS3 architecture allowed the 360 to provide superior performance. This gen they had the most power during the refresh. At the beginning, PS4 was more powerful.

I still remember Ground Zeroes being 720p on the One.

So I wouldn't be surprised. We'll see!

49 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

It could be a Crackdown 3 like situation where the cloud+native hybrid idea isn't working out like they anticipated.  Or maybe they're just keeping Sony guessing.

For the main box, any power differential in the PS5's favor stands to hurt Scarlett... You'll be able to play Halo 6 on PC at launch.  You might even be able play it streaming from the cloud.  I think there's going to be a sizable audience that avoids purchasing a brand new machine just to try it.  Even if it means a less than ideal experience. 

Scarlett really needs to stand apart from the competition, like the X.  If it's not more powerful, it better be one hell of a deal by comparison.  I could see them trying to undercut Sony's price tag by a significant margin.

The PS5 very well could be more powerful, but I would give MS the benefit of the doubt when it comes to managing that power. Sony's got a brute force approach that works. MS has custom architecture experience that also works.

At the end of the day, both consoles will give the devs plenty to work with to do what they want to do. I'm just hoping MS doesn't compromise the ease of development in exchange for some proprietary mumbo jumbo. They hit a sweet spot with the X so hopefully they'll keep that together. The easier both consoles are to develop for the more accessible it will be to the smaller devs as well.

Well at least this is interesting. I think the trick is MS will have 2 boxes at launch.

If I was either one I would keep those specs under warps until the last minute. Also keep a little head room. Nearly impossible task. 

What we heard is Scarlet is 4X more powerful than the One X so that Leaves the PS5 maybe somewhere north of this.

For me if the PS5 does turn out to be completely backwards compatible with all numbered PlayStations then I will buy no mater what someday.

24 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Scarlett really needs to stand apart from the competition, like the X.  If it's not more powerful, it better be one hell of a deal by comparison.  I could see them trying to undercut Sony's price tag by a significant margin.

Xbox already has it. It’s their Game Anywhere initiative. When you buy a game digitally, you can play your game locally on Scarlett and PC or stream it from any device like your phone, tablet, Roku or Nintendo Switch. All progress is saved to the cloud. You no longer quit your games. You just suspend it in the cloud until you pick it up again.  All Game Pass games are compatible. All this is built into Xbox Live so no additional cost to online users. 

I think the above would make a compelling case for Microsoft and set them up for the future.  

It's going to come down to features.

Who can off more features/tie-ins, etc. Realistically, next gen will probably be a carbon copy of this gen.

Regardless...If MS can have X1 and all BC games on the next one, i'll happily upgrade.

If PS5 can get my dead PS3 library back up and running, more than happy to upgrade my PS4 as well :)

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I feel their only time being clearly the most powerful was the first generation they entered. The second time, the awful PS3 architecture allowed the 360 to provide superior performance. This gen they had the most power during the refresh. At the beginning, PS4 was more powerful.

I still remember Ground Zeroes being 720p on the One.

So I wouldn't be surprised. We'll see!

PS3 was supposedly awful to code for, BUT, the first/second party devs that knew how to did tend to offer better visuals than what was on the 360, IMO.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

PS3 was supposedly awful to code for, BUT, the first/second party devs that knew how to did tend to offer better visuals than what was on the 360, IMO.

You're probably right, actually. I think Cerny said that in this talk. I don't know the time stamp, but it's a good listen if you're interested:

tl;dw: Sony First Party devs had early access to dev kits and could share resources. :p 

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

It could be a Crackdown 3 like situation where the cloud+native hybrid idea isn't working out like they anticipated.  Or maybe they're just keeping Sony guessing.

For the main box, any power differential in the PS5's favor stands to hurt Scarlett... You'll be able to play Halo 6 on PC at launch.  You might even be able play it streaming from the cloud.  I think there's going to be a sizable audience that avoids purchasing a brand new machine just to try it.  Even if it means a less than ideal experience. 

Scarlett will have Games Pass which is easily the best deal in gaming. 

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Xbox already has it. It’s their Game Anywhere initiative. When you buy a game digitally, you can play your game locally on Scarlett and PC or stream it from any device like your phone, tablet, Roku or Nintendo Switch. All progress is saved to the cloud. You no longer quit your games. You just suspend it in the cloud until you pick it up again.  All Game Pass games are compatible. All this is built into Xbox Live so no additional cost to online users. 

I think the above would make a compelling case for Microsoft and set them up for the future.  

The issue I see is that they risk de-incentivizing their hardware.  Why buy a new $500 console for Halo 5 when you could just sub to Games Pass for a month (and xCloud, if needed)?  Host streaming isn't some killer app when xCloud and PC parity exist.  I think that's why we all assumed it would be more powerful than Sony's machine.  They needed a better hook.

It also isn't something only Microsoft can do.  Valve just launched a similar service in Beta this past week.  It wouldn't be surprising at all if Sony follows suit. There will be competition there, just as there will be with Google vs xCloud on the cloud subscription end of things.  Or publishers like EA and Ubisoft competing with Games Pass.

Ultimately, Microsoft loses out on royalties if they struggle to sell hardware.  I think their long game might be a transition to selling other publishers cloud services instead.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Scarlett will have Games Pass which is easily the best deal in gaming. 

Games Pass won't be exclusive to Scarlett any more than the next Halo or Forza will be.  Plus costs you $5 more a month there if you want online multiplayer.

I think they run the risk of many people just forgoing their consoles entirely from now on. 
They're giving us too viable options other than buying an Xbox.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Regardless of one being slightly more powerful than the other, the difference will be sufficiently small that you'll have to look really hard to find any real world difference. 

If it comes down to resolution or number of rays cast, I'd say yes.

If it comes down to framerate (which hopefully it doesn't), that'd be a different story.

What were the expectations when Spencer announced that all first party games will release on Xbox Game Pass at launch?  Expectations were that sales would suffer and yet based on Spencer’s comments, sales have been really good.  

I don’t expect the X-Cloud streaming will have a material impact on Scarlett sales. People who want to play locally will continue to buy hardware.  It’s a good feature to include Day 1 and will allow Microsoft to build its ecosystem so that when the industry moves to streaming, X-Cloud will have a massive user base with an extensive library of games that people will want to remain in. 

30 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

If it comes down to resolution or number of rays cast, I'd say yes.

If it comes down to framerate (which hopefully it doesn't), that'd be a different story.

Let’s bet a 20 on that! I doubt you’d see more than a 5fps difference between the two. :p