Xbone S/X getting Dolby Vision

Spork3245

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/07/11/new-preview-1810-system-update/

Xbox is committed to bringing rich entertainment options to our fans. Today we are excited to announce our latest entertainment option, Dolby Vision video streaming support across Xbox One S and Xbox One X! Dolby Vision enables select TVs to take HDR up a notch with scene-by-scene precision and accuracy versus standard HDR which uses one setting for the entire movie/show you are watching. If you have a TV that supports the latest version of Dolby Vision and a Premium Netflix subscription jump in and experience Dolby Vision for yourself in the coming weeks!

:pratt: 

I think you are missing some of the actual statement. While this is great news (and I had posted about Xbox getting DV support before the great D1P collapse of 2018).... I believe only streaming services, read: netflix will now support DV. There is no word whether or not blu-ray support for DV will happen. We can only hope. 

10 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I think you are missing some of the actual statement. While this is great news (and I had posted about Xbox getting DV support before the great D1P collapse of 2018).... I believe only streaming services, read: netflix will now support DV. There is no word whether or not blu-ray support for DV will happen. We can only hope. 

No I saw that, I was commenting on the wish of it being enabled for games/UHD-BD playback. :p 

8 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

This is great news. Dolby Vision has been great. Now this is making it harder not to get this as a 4k blu0ray player. I'm sure I will find a reason not to get one for 4k blu-rays. I do have a TV that supports Dolby Vision.

The $30+ price for a UHD movie is what makes me not care.

• Like 1

So they enabled DV only for streaming services? That seems odd. I'm starting to buy some movies in 4K blu ray, but I don't yet have a player. I was thinking about upgrading my OG Xbox One mostly for that purpose, but it doesn't seem worth it if it doesn't support both formats.

16 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

So they enabled DV only for streaming services? That seems odd. I'm starting to buy some movies in 4K blu ray, but I don't yet have a player. I was thinking about upgrading my OG Xbox One mostly for that purpose, but it doesn't seem worth it if it doesn't support both formats.

I’m guessing it’s a “test” atm and hopefully UHD-BD DV support follows.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

they already look great with hdr10 or whatever it is called.  They will look very slightly better with DV - so I'm still looking forward to it.  But it is a small difference that should not factor into your buying decision.  Also everything I have seen says it is coming for games and UHD.  Just not on this release.

1 hour ago, eggydoo said:

I don't buy much physical media, but I do have a few UHD movies.  Only my very favorite movies, and then only the ones that look great on UHD.  

Also I have never spent more than $15 per movie.  Don't buy them on release day.  Wait for sales.  This Monday on Amazon will be a great day to buy a few if you are at all interested.

3 hours ago, eggydoo said:

I have seen them as cheap as $17 but those don't come with all the other old formats but include a digital copy with the disc. Also this all gets cheaper over time. and @number305 pointed out you can rent them like from Redbox. 4k is nice but HDR is what really interests me more.

3 hours ago, Rodimus said:

I have seen them as cheap as $17 but those don't come with all the other old formats but include a digital copy with the disc. Also this all gets cheaper over time. and @number305 pointed out you can rent them like from Redbox. 4k is nice but HDR is what really interests me more.

The couple that I've gotten have been $15-19 and have come with a digital copy + HD-BD along with the UHD-BD (The Fifth Element and Die Hard - the former had a lightning sale on Amazon on Wednesday). If you look on eBay you can find tons of people dumping either the UHD discs or the digital codes for $10-15, btw. :) 

22 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’ve noticed that Dolby Vision HDR tends to look a bit better/clearer than HDR10 content.

It should.  Dolby Vision is 12-bit instead of 10-bit like HDR 10.  All those extra colors help make those gradients nice and smooth. 

29 minutes ago, TomCat said:

haha I came to tell you guys the news but you already know about the UHDBD rom support.    MS is on top of things Fellas

If they were then the HDMI-In would be a 2.0 port capable of 4k HDR pass through instead of just 1080p. :nottalking: