Jump to content

Xbone S/X getting Dolby Vision


Spork3245
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/07/11/new-preview-1810-system-update/

Quote

Xbox is committed to bringing rich entertainment options to our fans. Today we are excited to announce our latest entertainment option, Dolby Vision video streaming support across Xbox One S and Xbox One X! Dolby Vision enables select TVs to take HDR up a notch with scene-by-scene precision and accuracy versus standard HDR which uses one setting for the entire movie/show you are watching. If you have a TV that supports the latest version of Dolby Vision and a Premium Netflix subscription jump in and experience Dolby Vision for yourself in the coming weeks!

 

:pratt: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you are missing some of the actual statement. While this is great news (and I had posted about Xbox getting DV support before the great D1P collapse of 2018).... I believe only streaming services, read: netflix will now support DV. There is no word whether or not blu-ray support for DV will happen. We can only hope. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I think you are missing some of the actual statement. While this is great news (and I had posted about Xbox getting DV support before the great D1P collapse of 2018).... I believe only streaming services, read: netflix will now support DV. There is no word whether or not blu-ray support for DV will happen. We can only hope. 

 

No I saw that, I was commenting on the wish of it being enabled for games/UHD-BD playback. :p 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

This is great news. Dolby Vision has been great. Now this is making it harder not to get this as a 4k blu0ray player. I'm sure I will find a reason not to get one for 4k blu-rays. I do have a TV that supports Dolby Vision.

The $30+ price for a UHD movie is what makes me not care.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So they enabled DV only for streaming services? That seems odd. I'm starting to buy some movies in 4K blu ray, but I don't yet have a player. I was thinking about upgrading my OG Xbox One mostly for that purpose, but it doesn't seem worth it if it doesn't support both formats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

So they enabled DV only for streaming services? That seems odd. I'm starting to buy some movies in 4K blu ray, but I don't yet have a player. I was thinking about upgrading my OG Xbox One mostly for that purpose, but it doesn't seem worth it if it doesn't support both formats.

 

I’m guessing it’s a “test” atm and hopefully UHD-BD DV support follows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

So they enabled DV only for streaming services? That seems odd. I'm starting to buy some movies in 4K blu ray, but I don't yet have a player. I was thinking about upgrading my OG Xbox One mostly for that purpose, but it doesn't seem worth it if it doesn't support both formats.

they already look great with hdr10 or whatever it is called.  They will look very slightly better with DV - so I'm still looking forward to it.  But it is a small difference that should not factor into your buying decision.  Also everything I have seen says it is coming for games and UHD.  Just not on this release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eggydoo said:

The $30+ price for a UHD movie is what makes me not care.

I don't buy much physical media, but I do have a few UHD movies.  Only my very favorite movies, and then only the ones that look great on UHD.  

 

Also I have never spent more than $15 per movie.  Don't buy them on release day.  Wait for sales.  This Monday on Amazon will be a great day to buy a few if you are at all interested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, eggydoo said:

The $30+ price for a UHD movie is what makes me not care.

I have seen them as cheap as $17 but those don't come with all the other old formats but include a digital copy with the disc. Also this all gets cheaper over time. and @number305 pointed out you can rent them like from Redbox. 4k is nice but HDR is what really interests me more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rodimus said:

I have seen them as cheap as $17 but those don't come with all the other old formats but include a digital copy with the disc. Also this all gets cheaper over time. and @number305 pointed out you can rent them like from Redbox. 4k is nice but HDR is what really interests me more.

 

The couple that I've gotten have been $15-19 and have come with a digital copy + HD-BD along with the UHD-BD (The Fifth Element and Die Hard - the former had a lightning sale on Amazon on Wednesday). If you look on eBay you can find tons of people dumping either the UHD discs or the digital codes for $10-15, btw. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

 

I’ve noticed that Dolby Vision HDR tends to look a bit better/clearer than HDR10 content.

It should.  Dolby Vision is 12-bit instead of 10-bit like HDR 10.  All those extra colors help make those gradients nice and smooth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, TomCat said:

haha I came to tell you guys the news but you already know about the UHDBD rom support.    MS is on top of things Fellas

 

If they were then the HDMI-In would be a 2.0 port capable of 4k HDR pass through instead of just 1080p. :nottalking: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...