Hernia Surgery - Have You Had It?

SoberChef

My dad has had two hernia surgery’s. The biggest limitation is is not being able to pick shit up for a while. His doctor cleared him after 6 weeks but before that it was like first two weeks nothing more than 5 pounds or something. The pain for him wasn’t bad. More like annoying I guess. 

Yeah I have to always be doing something and having that taken away from me, just the thought of it drives me to the brink of insanity! That said, I've been so busy with work and things that perhaps I'll dive into a couple games I've neglected the last few months and just enjoy the downtime to the best of my ability?

9 hours ago, best3444 said:

I had it done before. Can't lift certain weight etc. Recovery was fine. I was on heavy pain medication and beat ninja gaiden on xbox. 

How long was your recovery time? I took the following week off of work just in case but yeah.

15 hours ago, SoberChef said:

How long was your recovery time? I took the following week off of work just in case but yeah.

Is your job physical? If it is I would say you need more time off or to at least adjust your duties for a few more weeks. 

20 hours ago, SoberChef said:

What changes to your diet did you have to make either leading up to, or post-op!?

Can't remember preop but post op was (iirc) 1 week liquid diet, minimum 2 months pureed diet. The surgery involves them tightening the esophageal muscle so you literally can't get anything down that isn't pureed. 

• Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, Rev said:

Can't remember preop but post op was (iirc) 1 week liquid diet, minimum 2 months pureed diet. The surgery involves them tightening the esophageal muscle so you literally can't get anything down that isn't pureed. 

If you dont mind me asking, what were the circumstances that led to this? I had an endoscopy done anyway and a half ago for ongoing heartburn issues.

1 minute ago, Jose said:

If you dont mind me asking, what were the circumstances that led to this? I had an endoscopy done anyway and a half ago for ongoing heartburn issues.

I started getting acid reflux (heartburn but more toward the throat area) in my mid-to-late teens. It got worse and worse until about 10 years ago I went in and had an endoscopy where they discovered I had a condition called sliding hiatal hernia. It's a hernia in/near the esophagus. I've had a surgery on it once already, but it relaxed too much over time and now I need to get it again. I'm currently doing the pre-surgery testing.

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/hiatal-hernia#1

On 6/18/2019 at 10:28 PM, Rev said:

I started getting acid reflux (heartburn but more toward the throat area) in my mid-to-late teens. It got worse and worse until about 10 years ago I went in and had an endoscopy where they discovered I had a condition called sliding hiatal hernia. It's a hernia in/near the esophagus. I've had a surgery on it once already, but it relaxed too much over time and now I need to get it again. I'm currently doing the pre-surgery testing.

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/hiatal-hernia#1

Sorry to hear that man. I thought I might have one of those about two years ago when I had all these stomach and heartburn issues crop up. I had an endoscopy done and it turns out it's just mild gastritis from me being a fatty.