83% of gamers potentially interested in streaming services

Pikachu

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

We've been able to do that with PS Remote Play and Steamlink for years

To a PC, or a Steam link (which I do own). Steam link for iOS only just launched, so I haven't had a chance to try it.

What I'm most interested in is having games be more like movies in that basically every screen I own can play that content. Almost every screen or device can play Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc. That is far from the case with games, though steam link is getting closer now that it works on iOS.

1 hour ago, Dexterryu said:

I don't think you're looking at all the facts and technology progress. For instance, I agree with the sentiment of people owning something but also early on it was the same... people wanted "dvd" quality at the time and didn't think streaming could deliver it. As we all know a little time and technology progress and now it far exceeds it. Now most people prefer it. The same will likely be true of game streaming. Physical media for films (non-compressed 4k blu ray) is still the best, but for most people streaming 4k60hz content off of youtube is damn near indistinguishable.

I am considering technology progress: I'm specifically talking about the hurdles it faces now and probably for a few more years at least. I was a pretty early adopter of video streaming without any initial reservations. In contrast I *do* have reservations about game streaming because the technology hurdles it faces right now are more significant than those faced by video streaming even when video streaming first started.

As for satelites, you're a little off the mark here. Current satellite technology does in fact introduce a lot of lag. That's because of the distance of the satellite orbit (very high) and the fact that your backhaul is back down and across wires. The Starlink and OneWeb satelites are going to be much lower orbit and use laser connections between them as their backbone/backhaul. This is actually testing out to be faster than fiber: https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/11/spacex-low-latency-starlink-satellite-network-will-be-massively-profitable.html

I'm not familiar with this effort, so thanks for sharing. That said, it doesn't sound like their aim is a resolution to what we need here. Note the qualification of its comparison to fiber:

"They conclude the SpaceX Starlink network can provide lower latency communications than any possible terrestrial optical fiber network for communications over distances greater than about 3000 kilometers"

3KM is 1864 miles. That's not the target we should be aiming for for video game streaming. That target is great for minimizing latency on a global scale, but we really want far closer systems. For video games, I still think the best solution is denser data centers.

With the majority of hosting moving to massive AWS / Azure / GCP datacenters scattered across the world latency is going to drop significantly due to the combination of data gravity (data being on extremely fast SSD arrays near directly attached to storage) and laser based satellite backbones. The stuff that clouds can deliver are already outperforming almost anything you can build in a datacenter. It only gets faster once you move client processing (aka streaming) to be hosted along with the server processing.

Right, aiming for a data centers in every city is what I proposed. When that day comes, or when we start approximating it well, this might push through! But we're not there now. We also need these connections to be reliable. Right now, the internet is not. Less than stellar reliability of connection is another example of the difference between video games and video (video doesn't demand it because it can buffer ahead).

Question, outside of America, where else has broadband data capped? I have unlimited, 49.27Mbps download and that seems fairly standard in the UK for not that much money (I pay £38 a month and could get the same result, for cheaper if/when I switch with my contract renewal).

57 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Question, outside of America, where else has broadband data capped? I have unlimited, 49.27Mbps download and that seems fairly standard in the UK for not that much money (I pay £38 a month and could get the same result, for cheaper if/when I switch with my contract renewal).

Canada.

I left Brazil a few years ago, and it had pretty significant data caps.