Pleasant Suprises of E3

crispy4000

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is at the top of my list:

They could have easily just shoehorned their 3D movement into a 2D platformer, but it looks like they've revamped and reconsidered the moveset.  It all looks suprisingly fluid and fun.  I like the look of the overworld sections too.  I love it when games that do that, and they're fleshing it out nicely.  The idea that you can attempt the last level first is also a neat hook.

It could have ended up looking like a weaker DF:TF copycat, but its avoiding that pitfall so far IMO.

Trials of Mana, the 3D remake.  Like FF7R they've revamped the combat system, but on the whole the look of it feels more faithful than the latter.  Most people won't understand that, not having played the original.  There's parts of this game that look exactly like I would expected the original art to look in 3d.  It's still not a huge budget affair, given that its also targeting Switch, but they've perfectly managed the scope here.

The Tales of Arise trailer impressed me much more than I expected.  I'm getting Xenoblade series vibes from some of the environments, and I really like the look of the combat and all its pyrotechnics.  Tales may have finally crept back to AAA status for the first time in ages.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Tales of Arise

Yep, that is my top one I think. Didn't even expect a new Tales of game. 

FE:3H having JP dub is great news along with some of weeb shit returning. And, if people aren't lying, Nintendo did some house cleaning after Fates so this game could be good.

FF7R's combat wasn't awful. It didn't look bad. 

Banjo for Smash.

Not sure of this is E3 or not, but the PC game pass is great news as well. 

Elden Ring would have been, but everyone knew about it before E3.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:21 PM, crispy4000 said:

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is at the top of my list:

They could have easily just shoehorned their 3D movement into a 2D platformer, but it looks like they've revamped and reconsidered the moveset.  It all looks suprisingly fluid and fun.  I like the look of the overworld sections too.  I love it when games that do that, and they're fleshing it out nicely.  The idea that you can attempt the last level first is also a neat hook.

It could have ended up looking like a weaker DF:TF copycat, but its avoiding that pitfall so far IMO.

Trials of Mana, the 3D remake.  Like FF7R they've revamped the combat system, but on the whole the look of it feels more faithful than the latter.  Most people won't understand that, not having played the original.  There's parts of this game that look exactly like I would expected the original art to look in 3d.  It's still not a huge budget affair, given that its also targeting Switch, but they've perfectly managed the scope here.

The Tales of Arise trailer impressed me much more than I expected.  I'm getting Xenoblade series vibes from some of the environments, and I really like the look of the combat and all its pyrotechnics.  Tales may have finally crept back to AAA status for the first time in ages.

What is DF:TF?

Easily for me Nintendo’s 2019 lineup. Before Nintendo’s Direct, everything that interested me is 2020.

Nintendo’s releases for 2019:

Mario Maker 2

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Fire Emblem 

Astral Chain

Daemon X Machina

Link’s Awakening

Luigi’s Mansion 3

Pokemon Sword

Now not all of these games will be great, but the lineup is diverse.