Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) may retire before this Congress ends, may run for governor

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Too true. 

Hope a real Democrat snags the seat and he loses the election for governor. Guy sucks.

If you think a real Democrat can win a Senate seat in WV, I have a dilapidated coal mine to sell  you.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

If you think a real Democrat can win a Senate seat in WV, I have a dilapidated coal mine to sell  you.

I absolutely think it's possible with the right messaging, but I doubt that will happen, I agree. If a Republican gets the seat well at least everyone knows it's the R it's always been then. 

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I absolutely think it's possible with the right messaging, but I doubt that will happen, I agree. If a Republican gets the seat well at least everyone knows it's the R it's always been then. 

Any Democrat who advocates for addressing the climate (which, I would argue, is an essential aspect of being a 'real' Democrat) is dead-on-fucking-arrival in that state. No amount of messaging will make up for that.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Any Democrat who advocates for addressing the climate (which, I would argue, is an essential aspect of being a 'real' Democrat) is dead-on-fucking-arrival in that state. No amount of messaging will make up for that.

Disagree actually - from interviews I've seen of West Virginia residents during the 2018 midterm election I think depending on how you frame it it wouldn't be dead on arrival. If you promise that you'll take care of them and their kids with Medicare for All, get them an education with College for All, and that pivoting on climate will create innumerable new jobs in the region if wind and solar are embraced would vibe with a lot of them. I agree with your conventional wisdom, but I think it can be done (with difficulty). Most of these people are poor, family-oriented, and uneducated. You promise them healthcare, education, jobs, and money, and you explain with simple but effective messaging how that's going to happen whilst empowering them and not talking down to them, they'll listen. 

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Disagree actually - from interviews I've seen of West Virginia residents during the 2018 midterm election I think depending on how you frame it it wouldn't be dead on arrival. If you promise that you'll take care of them and their kids with Medicare for All, get them an education with College for All, and that pivoting on climate will create innumerable new jobs in the region if wind and solar are embraced would vibe with a lot of them. I agree with your conventional wisdom, but I think it can be done (with difficulty). Most of these people are poor and uneducated. You promise them healthcare, education, jobs, and money, and you explain with simple but effective messaging how that's going to happen, they'll listen. 

It's going to have to be done. Rip that bandaid off now. Keep campaigning with that same message. There will be a come to Jesus moment. I just hope it's sooner than later.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Disagree actually - from interviews I've seen of West Virginia residents during the 2018 midterm election I think depending on how you frame it it wouldn't be dead on arrival. If you promise that you'll take care of them and their kids with Medicare for All, get them an education with College for All, and that pivoting on climate will create innumerable new jobs in the region if wind and solar are embraced would vibe with a lot of them. I agree with your conventional wisdom, but I think it can be done (with difficulty). 

Medicare for All? Education? New jobs for wind and solar?

After Trump was elected, there were sob stories in the Times and Post about disabled coal miners losing black lung benefits, because they didn't realize Obamacare and the Affordable Care Act were the same thing, and that repealing it would jeopardize their care. Teachers had to do a state-wide strike for a 5% pay increase. The federal programs for retraining coal miners - which already exist - are perennially under utilized, because they would rather wait for coal to come back.

You're a smart guy and I love you, but you are out of your fucking mind.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Chris- said:

After Trump was elected, there were sob stories in the Times and Post about disabled coal miners losing black lung benefits, because they didn't realize Obamacare and the Affordable Care Act were the same thing, and that repealing it would jeopardize their care. Teachers had to do a state-wide strike for a 5% pay increase. The federal programs for retraining coal miners - which already exist - are perennially under utilized, because they would rather wait for coal to come back.

I bet they'd take straight-up welfare doe. If we're spending the money either way I'd rather just give it to them directly instead of propping up the coal industry.

1 hour ago, Jose said:

I could see a socially conservative fiscally liberal candidate kill it in WV.

What you've described are essentially the Catholic/Christian Democratic parties in Europe, especially the ruling Law & Justice Party in Poland.

In the United States, the closest is perhaps the American Solidarity Party

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

Right, that's why I said the messaging would have to be done in a specific way that is geared towards appealing to WV voters whilst changing their mind. I don't think it's crazy to suggest it can be done. 

But I of course agree that it's an uphill battle, but if you listen to interviews of actual residents, those are the things they care about. It's the messaging that's the issue, not the policies. 

On 6/13/2019 at 12:00 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Disagree actually - from interviews I've seen of West Virginia residents during the 2018 midterm election I think depending on how you frame it it wouldn't be dead on arrival. If you promise that you'll take care of them and their kids with Medicare for All, get them an education with College for All, and that pivoting on climate will create innumerable new jobs in the region if wind and solar are embraced would vibe with a lot of them. I agree with your conventional wisdom, but I think it can be done (with difficulty). Most of these people are poor, family-oriented, and uneducated. You promise them healthcare, education, jobs, and money, and you explain with simple but effective messaging how that's going to happen whilst empowering them and not talking down to them, they'll listen. 

I met a guy in WV that was unemployed for 5 years because he was waiting on the steel mill to open back up. He somehow was able to have money to be at the strip club we were both at though. 

• Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, Snaynay1 said:

I met a guy in WV that was unemployed for 5 years because he was waiting on the steel mill to open back up. He somehow was able to have money to be at the strip club we were both at though. 

He's on the government titty more than the stripper titty.

26 minutes ago, Snaynay1 said:

I remember you said this years ago and it's actually a story I've shared with people when we talk about what drives the economy in some small towns in the rust belt.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I remember you said this years ago and it's actually a story I've shared with people when we talk about what drives the economy in some small towns in the rust belt.

Yeah it was 2002 my first night ever in WV wondering WTF had happened to my life getting sent there as a recruiter. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Snaynay1 said:

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I got sent to some hellhole in WV for work a few years ago. My two defining memories of that are all of the "hotspots" we saw driving around looking for a place to eat (we were unclear on whether they were strip clubs or just bars), and this absolute hellscape "downtown" seeming to have way more Italian restaurants than could possibly be supported by the local population if they weren't money laundering fronts (and EVERYTHING coming with a day's worth of Calories in the form of fries regardless of whether it said it came with fries).