Witcher 3 on Switch will be 540p handheld, 720p docked, dynamic resolution enabled

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, Man of Culture said:

540p in Handheld Mode = :sick:

If DOOM 2016 and Wolfenstein 2 are anything to go by, handheld mode is going to look like dog vomit.

Hide contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

These are from handheld mode while standing still. Once you begin moving it turns into a blurry mess of pixels that barely resemble the game they're trying to portray. JFC, like.. Kudos for trying, but please don't.

They should go back to what they used to do in the SNES days and ship it on a cartridge with an extra GPU soldered onto the board. :daydream:

53 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

What's going to happen when most games are designed for the next generation later next year and Twitch can barely play current generation games?

If they  aren't releasing a "Pro" model, then I guess it will go back to the days when Nintendo had shitty 3rd party support.

The switch will be fine, with or without 3rd party AAA titles. Its well past its critical consumer market penetration needs and as long as Nintendo keeps offering up great 1st party IPs and Indies keep pumping out surprising and cool new smaller games, the Switch will continue to have a great life. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Play the damn game. 

And not on Switch. 

Is it okay I haven’t played the previous two games yet?

Bah, who am I kidding I’ll never play the game. I’ll buy it, play an hour or so, then forget it forever. Just like I did with Breath of the Wild.

5 hours ago, Dre801 said:

If they  aren't releasing a "Pro" model, then I guess it will go back to the days when Nintendo had shitty 3rd party support.

Eh it’s not like they’re getting the lions share of third party stuff now anyway. 

A lot of the appeal of the switch is playing older games and indie games on the go, and there’s not going to be any shortage of those any time soon. 

7 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

What's going to happen when most games are designed for the next generation later next year and Twitch can barely play current generation games?

Release Tegra 2 edition and carry on as before. There was the report of the two new SKUs going into development.

12 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

In that case, I redact my statement to say 'whichever is the somewhat current Tegra.

The current (the one in the Switch) is the Tegra X and it’s only a bit less powerful than the launch Xbone iirc (when running at full-boar). The next Tegra will likely be based on the current RTX cards and be dubbed the “Tegra RTX”, no clue on when that actually comes out... but, Nintendo could simply play with the current design and up the clock speeds to create a “Switch Pro”. Using the next iteration of Tegra for an updated Switch would be an odd choice, IMO, as that would be better used on a new console altogether considering the huge performance jumps between each Tegra iteration - I’d expect the next Tegra generation to be meeting or exceeding PS4 Pro (possibly XboneX) performance.

18 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Is it okay I haven’t played the previous two games yet?

Bah, who am I kidding I’ll never play the game. I’ll buy it, play an hour or so, then forget it forever. Just like I did with Breath of the Wild.

It's perfectly fine to skip the first two if you don't have any interest in them. Although, you will be missing out on a few things as certain choices do carry over and somethings will be different depending on what you did in The Witcher 2. However, it's not crucial.

• Like 1

Heh. Re-reading through this thread...it's funny to me that screen resolution is such a big deal. I mean, I know it's 2019, and we're talking about the Switch (a handheld/console hybrid) and times/tastes have changed...but wow. I remember back in the day I picked up games like Contra III, The King of Fighters '95 and Battletoads & Double Dragon - for Gameboy. If screen size or resolution (or even color, lol) was as big of a deal to me then as screen resolution is to y'all now...yikes. I would have missed out on some great portable games.

2 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Heh. Re-reading through this thread...it's funny to me that screen resolution is such a big deal. I mean, I know it's 2019, and we're talking about the Switch (a handheld/console hybrid) and times/tastes have changed...but wow. I remember back in the day I picked up games like Contra III, The King of Fighters '95 and Battletoads & Double Dragon - for Gameboy. If screen size or resolution (or even color, lol) was as big of a deal to me then as screen resolution is to y'all now...yikes. I would have missed out on some great portable games.

I'm starting to see some of that stealth trolling people are talking about...