Astral Chain - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

GameXPlain

Preview: Astral Chain Mixes Bayonetta, Wonderful 101 And Metal Gear Rising, And You'll Love It (Nintendo Life)

In this way, Astral Chain is best recommended to hardcore action fans. The gameplay is even deeper than, say, Platinum’s Bayonetta, while at the same time maintaining that series’ silky smooth comboing feel and end-of-chapter grading system. That’s a huge compliment, given how satisfying Bayonetta makes button-pressing feel, and Astral Chain is no different in that regard.

Really, Astral Chain is the uncanny and not subtle combination of Platinum Games’ greatest hits: the fighting mechanics of Wonderful 101, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and Bayonetta, with a lot of the tactical and visual elements of Nier: Automata (that game’s celebrated designer, Takahisa Taura, is at the helm of this one).

Astral Chain Is Not the Platinum Game You're Expecting (Video Games Chronicle)

The Nintendo Switch exclusive may sport all the characteristics of a typical Platinum brawler including stylish moves, slick movement and deep combos, but this time the action feels like it’s set to be just one part of an overall more diverse adventure.

Astral Chain could be Platinum's most out there game yet (Eurogamer/Digital Foundry)

If you've seen the trailers, however, it might not be entirely clear what sort of game we're dealing with here. Indeed, when I had a chance to sit down with Astral Chain last week, I really had no idea what to expect. I knew there would be action but everything else was up in the air. As I left the demo station, I couldn't help but consider the most ridiculous of comparisons. Yes, there's plenty of Platinum-style action within but everything else suggests some sort of unholy fusion between Deus Ex, Batman and The Legend of Zelda. Perhaps that's a stretching it but stay with me - there's a lot going on here.

Astral Chain Hands-on (RPG Site)

Astral Chain is a beautiful amalgamation of all things Platinum with a few new added features, creating a new sense of depth between exploration and combat that hasn’t been seen in any of their titles. While it is undoubtedly stylish and carrying the definitive features of being a Platinum title Astral Chain has proven to be much more than that. I’m eagerly anticipating to see what the full release of Astral Chain will be like, as this hands-on definitely left me with an incredibly positive impression of PlatinumGames’ latest original IP.

For a game that we knew literally nothing about at the beginning of the year, this seems really ambitious. I'm pretty intrigued, and I have it pre-ordered...but I think I would still appreciate a demo of some kind to really help me understand WTF this is. 

With everything going into it, no wonder Bayonetta 3 is taking so long. :p 

5 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

For a game that we knew literally nothing about at the beginning of the year, this seems really ambitious. I'm pretty intrigued, and I have it pre-ordered...but I think I would still appreciate a demo of some kind to really help me understand WTF this is. 

With everything going into it, no wonder Bayonetta 3 is taking so long. :p 

Can’t wait to play it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not me. I don't really enjoy the gameplay of games like Bayo, DMC, and old GOW. I like the gameplay for 2-3 hours, but I get bored of it pretty fast. This doesn't seem to just be another hack n slasher, but I'll pass for now at least. 

Game Information

Game Title: Astral Chain

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Aug 29, 2019)

Developer: PlatinumGames

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 87 average - 98% recommended

Critic Reviews

Nintendo Insider - 10 / 10

Astral Chain is yet another addition to the Nintendo Switch library that will be fondly remembered for decades to come.

Atomix - Spanish - 96 / 100

Astral Chain is a reminder of why this form of entertainment is so special.

Nintendo Enthusiast - 9.5 / 10

Stop what you're doing and play Astral Chain

CGMagazine - 9.5 / 10

Astral Chain is a fantastic character action game that reimagines the subgenre at its core with a completely original and immensely satisfying combat system

Areajugones - Spanish - 9.5 / 10

Astral Chain is one of the best experiences of the genre for Nintendo Switch. PlatinumGames has been able to revitalize the gameplay and take complexity and sensations one step further than in previous works of the study.

Wccftech - 9.3 / 10

Astral Chain is, without a doubt, one of the best games ever released by Platinum Games and one of the best Nintendo Switch exclusives to date.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 93 / 100

Astral Chain is a brilliant action adventure game, with everything you could expect from a PlatinumGames title: fast and deep combat, rich visuals and a surprising story that reminds us of Nier Automata,

COGconnected - 91 / 100

Astral Chain is an excellent action game that uses the Switch’s unique hardware in creative ways. It fits handsomely in PlatinumGames’ excellent catalog and should satisfy anyone who likes Japanese action RPGs, or third-person action games. It is a wholly satisfying experience.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9.1 / 10

Astral Chain is something special that only Platinum Games could develop: a game both satisfying and tough.

WellPlayed - 9 / 10

Astral Chains is a tour de force of potent writing, sumptuous presentation and multifaceted gameplay that stands up with the best that PlatinumGames and the genre have to offer

We Got This Covered - 4.5 / 5 stars

Astral Chain combines all the best impulses of Platinum Games with a unique combat system and rich RPG mechanics. The world, story, and atmosphere are icing on the cake - this is one of the best overall packages from the studio and a remarkable directorial debut for Takahisa Taura.

FNintendo - Portuguese - 9 / 10

Astral Chain may be a game that combines action and RPG elements in an excellent way but merely stating this would be a serious understatement. Nearly everything in Astral Chain drips with quality, labour and dedication, from its intense and frantic combats to the exquisite art style and wonderful soundtrack, this is without any doubt the finest new IP to reach the Nintendo Switch and another reminder of why Platinum Games deserves all the praise it can get.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

Whatever criticism you can throw at Astral Chain, you can't say it isn't unique. In the first few hours, I was all over the place when it came to an assessment, as it can take some time to really turn it up. But when it does it just clicks, and I don't want to stop playing it.

Nintendo Life - 9 / 10

With its amazing visuals, fantastic presentation, varied gameplay and deep, rewarding combat, Astral Chain could well be PlatinumGames' most accomplished game yet.

Game Informer - 9 / 10

Astral Chain is fun from start to finish, and gives the player plenty to chew on in terms of side missions and post-game content

Metro GameCentral - 9 / 10

Another classic action game from Platinum that's so full of ideas it seems fit to burst and yet everything not only works perfectly but is filled with an infectious sense of goofy fun.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

Astral Chain could is one of the best games on Nintendo Switch, period. PlatinumGames has proved, once again, that no one does stylish action games better, and I sincerely hope we get to return to the Ark again someday.

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Astral Chain represents PlatinumGames in top form, bringing a phenomenal action adventure game and engaging narrative to the Nintendo Switch.

Glitched Africa - 9 / 10

Astral Chain is something truly unique. Its characters, combat, world and how it is all brought together made it an action game I could not help but love. Its a meaty game with a lot to experience with every moment filled with something exciting to do.

IGN - 9 / 10

Astral Chain is every bit as awesome as it looks in motion, which is to say it's downright incredible.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

A brilliant game that's deep and offers accessibility for people who struggle as well as people who want to master every inch of the combat. In a crowded marketplace, Astral Chain stands out as a unique, interesting game that you'd be foolish to pass up on.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 9 / 10

As it is Astral Chain is still a massive exclusive and one of the best video games of 2019: not bad for an absolute debut!

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

Astral Chain is an another victory of PlatinumGames, which did not copy the usual formula of Devil May Cry and tried to do something new. The emphasis on adventure, interesting story, stylish action, unusual battle system and atmospheric locations are capturing all your attention. It is not just what the fans were waiting for, it is even more than that.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 9 / 10

Astral Chain really is another classic from Platinum Games with top notch combat system, beautiful art and interesting story.

LevelUp - Spanish - 8.8 / 10

So, it goes without saying that I recommend Astral Chain to all fans of PlatinumGames' work since it takes everything that makes most of their games special but adds a unique flavor that will remind you why it is such a beloved studio. Also, I consider it an appropriate title for the owners of a Switch who are in search of something frantic and novel.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8.7 / 10

Platinum Games is victorious in a risky bet, although with certain aspects to improve in its rhythm of play.

NintendoWorldReport - 8.5 / 10

Given your character's role as a police officer, I found the gradual de-emphasizing of the investigation mechanics to be a tad disappointing. A few areas of the visual design could also use work, but they'll hardly affect enjoyment of the game. Ultimately, what we're left with is one of the most exciting and original action games on Switch, if not the most.

Stevivor - 8.5 / 10

While Astral Chain‘s storyline is filled with anime archetypes and familiar plot tropes, it all works well as an overall experience.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Astral Chain is a detective story of the near future, a game with a crazy rhythm and direction. However it is around the gravitational field of his combat system that sensational qualities and unexpected flaws rotate. We're still talking about a memorable, amusing, tachycardic experience, doped by a techno-aesthetic power that flexes Switch's muscles like only Nintendo managed to do. Despite certain flaws endemic to their work (unmanageable camera on all), PlatinumGames confirms itself as the king of stylish action games.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.5 / 10

Besides a lack in meaningful detective/police quests you'll get the usual high quality gameplay mix from the studio that fans would expect (If you give the game enough time)

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Astral Chain it's another great game from Platinum Games, with a great worldbuilding and a fine combat system.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Astral Chain is a unique experience from beginning to end, but some strange choices in the way it tells its story and major pacing issues in the third act bring it down. Regardless, Astral Chain fits right in amongst the Platinum greats, offering a fun and unique battle system that does a fantastic job at differentiating itself from its contemporaries.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

I am insanely impressed with the world that Platinum has built-in Astral Chain overall. It is gorgeous, the plot is intriguing and it feels like something new when it comes to the investigations and police work.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

Astral Chain boasts the same winning elements of Platinum's finest work – exhilarating combat, characterful visuals, and a compelling story – but it loses a bit of personality. Where Bayonetta and 2B provided an emotional centre point for the fantastical storytelling, Astral Chain's unnecessarily silent protagonist is a charmless creation saved by an utterly charming world.

USgamer - 4 / 5 stars

Astral Chain is the directorial debut of Nier Automata designer Takahisa Taura, and it proves that he's a creator worth paying attention to. Part melodramatic anime, part overly complicated Tamagotchi, it's an eminently playable action role-playing game that delivers the pleasure of good teamwork in a way few singleplayer games accomplish. Building on action design ideas seeded in Nier, Astral Chain encourages you to bond with your beloved pet cybermonster both on and off the battlefield. Then, it teaches you how to fight as one.

EGM - 8 / 10

Astral Chain is loud, brash, exciting, and, in the end, a warning about the dangers of unquestioned loyalty. Its hyperkinetic action sequences and colorful characters might make the game seem like it isn't interested in offering more than intricately designed fights and a straightforward genre story, but stick around for its entirety and its cast of 2070s police officers show themselves to be more than just cartoon cut-outs of sci-fi cops.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Nintendo Switch exclusive Astral Chain elevates the stylish action genre with an inventive, gratifying combat system and an unrelenting sense of style.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Occuring in a beautiful anime setting, Astral Chain is a real treat for the players. The gameplay mechanics, focused on the link between the main character and its Legions, are really engaging, but only in solo mode unfortunately. With this game, PlatinumGames confirm their status as masters in Beat'em all games making.

JVL - French - 16 / 20

Far from being a little game while waiting for the main course, the new license for Platinum Games has a universe and original gameplay mechanics that we only ask to see again in another episode more balanced in its structure.

Critical Hit - 8 / 10

Astral Chain is one of Platinum Games' most complex and satisfying action games to date, with combat that's suitably fast but far more purposeful and careful in execution. Its gorgeous world and enticing premise are betrayed by an uninteresting story and characters, but there's little else to fault when you're teaming up with your legions and solving cases across different dimensions.

Digitally Downloaded - 4 / 5 stars

Astral Chain is both beautiful and mesmerising. You’re not likely to come across a better action gameplay system for quite some time – likely until PlatinumGames’ own next effort. Truly this is a developer that understands the principles of movement in action better than any, and while its games might struggle in other areas to meet the brilliance of the action, every second with that action is satisfying, exciting, and a very pure form of entertainment. 

Eurogamer - Essential

Sprawling, varied and constantly stylish, Astral Chain is a very different breed of action game that ranks with Platinum's best.

Polygon - Unscored

Astral Chain is the best new Nintendo franchise since Splatoon

GameXplain - Liked-a-lot

Video Review - Quote not available

I was hoping this game would be good, but this looks to be way better than I could have anticipated. It's already loaded up on my Switch, so I guess I just now have to wait. I already finished one play through of Fire Emblem, so I guess some random Mario Maker courses will have to hold me over for the time being.