Animal Crossing: New Horizons (20 March 2020) OT - Island Getaway

I was thinking about how addictive this is, and yet, how limited the game is in some ways.  Then I thought, why hasnt Sony or Microsoft made an attempt to copy this formula, but adding to it.

I thought of this concept, Microsoft's Sea of Thieves Engine.  Instead of it being based on combat, have it mimmick Animal Crossing's systems.  No fighting, just fishing, hunting, collecting items and decorating your island.

Every player has their own Plot on the map with their island.  When you load in, it assigns you an empty plot on a random server that has an opening.  You can take your ship which is extremely customizable as well, and sail around visiting other peoples islands.  Can also play offline with just your own little plot if you'd rather not be online.  I feel like there could be so much potential for cool things.  Could even add limited combat, dungeons, treasure hunting, ect which Sea of Thieves has.  

With how well Animal Crossing always does, just surprised more haven't tried to do what it does and expand on it some.

4 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I was thinking about how addictive this is, and yet, how limited the game is in some ways.  Then I thought, why hasnt Sony or Microsoft made an attempt to copy this formula, but adding to it.

I thought of this concept, Microsoft's Sea of Thieves Engine.  Instead of it being based on combat, have it mimmick Animal Crossing's systems.  No fighting, just fishing, hunting, collecting items and decorating your island.

Every player has their own Plot on the map with their island.  When you load in, it assigns you an empty plot on a random server that has an opening.  You can take your ship which is extremely customizable as well, and sail around visiting other peoples islands.  Can also play offline with just your own little plot if you'd rather not be online.  I feel like there could be so much potential for cool things.  Could even add limited combat, dungeons, treasure hunting, ect which Sea of Thieves has.  

With how well Animal Crossing always does, just surprised more haven't tried to do what it does and expand on it some.

People seem to have tried, but when the question of what to add comes up can change the formula substantially. Add combat and it's an entirely different game. Add farming and it starts veering into Harvest Moon territory.

Nintendo views the game as a game you only okay for like an hour everyday for years. That said, I did notice I haven't seen any of that "meet me here at 8pm" stuff. When was that removed from the series?

11 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

minor discoveries from today..

-u can close the window blinds of your house

-u can poop out the “effects” of fruit u eat..

i miss the “big” fish like sharks and Nintendo items... everything else in the game is a massive improvement...(rip streetpass)

I'm pretty sure sharks are primarily in the Summer, so you'll see them later.

And who knows what they'll add with DLC down the line.

7 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I think the missing ingredient is charm. AC just oozes it and makes the game a real jem.

I like Animal Crossing, but I feel like it really lacks the elements that make a game satisfying (for me) to play. The new crafting system is a nice upgrade, but getting furniture that really has no function is weird. I have a dartboard, but "using" it has the darts disappear and re-appear. I'd love to play a little darts mini-game with my friends. I got a beachball, using it makes it bounce -- I'd love to roll it around. Have all the furniture that should have similar functions do that, and I'd really be hooked. As it stands it all just kind of feels like shallow window-dressing. Like fishing, how it's designed visually (pretty sure it's been like this since AC1) makes it look like you should hammer the button to reel in the fish, but of course just tapping the A button once will reel in anything.

It all lacks just that little bit of depth that I find really draws me into games. In the first game, the NES titles did that. They were super rare pieces of furniture, and were full-fledged NES titles. That made them exciting. I get that we'll likely never get anything like that again, but I'd like it if the rest of the game stepped it up a notch. Again, just a bit. AC is supposed to be relaxing, but what better way to relax than enjoying the fruits of your labor? My dartboard makes a nice little decoration, but it'd make for a heck of a fun little way to pass time with friends on my island. A few more pieces like that being "playable" would do wonders for my enjoyment of each play session.

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I saw someone catch a shark last night, or they posted on twitter they had. They're still in it.

spacer.png

From what I understand they took Gyroids out, now that's just sad. :(

That person may have their game set to the Southern Hemisphere, too.

I am sad about the lack of gyroids. And Nintendo items. Maybe they can add them down the line.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I like Animal Crossing, but I feel like it really lacks the elements that make a game satisfying (for me) to play. The new crafting system is a nice upgrade, but getting furniture that really has no function is weird. I have a dartboard, but "using" it has the darts disappear and re-appear. I'd love to play a little darts mini-game with my friends. I got a beachball, using it makes it bounce -- I'd love to roll it around. Have all the furniture that should have similar functions do that, and I'd really be hooked. As it stands it all just kind of feels like shallow window-dressing. Like fishing, how it's designed visually (pretty sure it's been like this since AC1) makes it look like you should hammer the button to reel in the fish, but of course just tapping the A button once will reel in anything.

It all lacks just that little bit of depth that I find really draws me into games. In the first game, the NES titles did that. They were super rare pieces of furniture, and were full-fledged NES titles. That made them exciting. I get that we'll likely never get anything like that again, but I'd like it if the rest of the game stepped it up a notch. Again, just a bit. AC is supposed to be relaxing, but what better way to relax than enjoying the fruits of your labor? My dartboard makes a nice little decoration, but it'd make for a heck of a fun little way to pass time with friends on my island. A few more pieces like that being "playable" would do wonders for my enjoyment of each play session.

Yeah, I would love some mini games, even if they were ridiculously simple. A simple beach volleyball would be cool. Maybe some overly basic soccer in the summer and hockey on the winter?

I would love to see arcade games actually be playable or a return of the consoles. Like, maybe if you have an active account you can get an SNES or NES that just plays the games you already have in your switch. It's stupid, but that's the kind of silly/cute I'd like to see in this game.

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I agree completely..

its so weird that with each iteration the obsession is in trying to find the next minuscule bit of interactivity with the objects in the game. Its ridiculous, yet here i am yet again a servant to Tom f’n Nook

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That person may have their game set to the Southern Hemisphere, too.

I am sad about the lack of gyroids. And Nintendo items. Maybe they can add them down the line.

yeah, I was visiting an island in Australia yesterday and snagged a crapload of bugs/fish we don't have around here right now. Dude's island was also incredible. I can't even imagine how much time he spent organizing/designing it...made me feel like mine is crap :cry:

I had the same exactly comment when visiting an island with a small group of friends.  I was like, they have Mario Party, how hard would it be to implement a few mini games to have something more interactive to do with visitors and friends.  Something to drive you to collect more items that give you these mini games.  

I don't know if there is a basketball hoop, but a timing based shooting game, there is a soccer net, so some basic PK thing.  Anything to just have a little more to do and interact with.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

I had the same exactly comment when visiting an island with a small group of friends.  I was like, they have Mario Party, how hard would it be to implement a few mini games to have something more interactive to do with visitors and friends.  Something to drive you to collect more items that give you these mini games.  

I don't know if there is a basketball hoop, but a timing based shooting game, there is a soccer net, so some basic PK thing.  Anything to just have a little more to do and interact with.

they definitely missed an opportunity to take the game up to the next level with actual multiplayer 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Is anyone else just getting an error when trying to connect to the internet at the airport? I downloaded the game via the eshop so the console is definitely connected to the internet. 

Saw threads online with multiple other people having the same problem but it looks like rebooting the Switch (hold the power button for five seconds) fixed it. 

On 3/27/2020 at 9:03 AM, Chris- said:

Alright y’all, my Friend Code is 6810-5428-6602. Come on over to Gullagulla Island and get your dicks out, my gates will be open all damn weekend. 

Sent you a request. 2345-1795-7699. Come visit Craggy Island Parochial House!