Animal Crossing: New Horizons (20 March 2020) OT - Island Getaway

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Has anyone else been painfully disappointed by the Nook Miles trips? My girlfriend and I have probably gone on three dozen trips between us, and almost nothing has been unique...We got one island with a new fruit, another with unlimited tarantulas (big money), and I think she might have caught a new fish or two, but other than that they've all been the same. I realize they won't all be that different, but still, it's been so bad that I kind of don't look forward to going on them anymore. 

I'm disappointed because unlike in New Leaf you can't put items in a bin and take them with you to the island.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

My wife's been loving this game but she was confused when she saw an article talking about the game getting low scores.

Turns out gamers have been review bombing this because it only allows you one island per console, and no other users can play it. I've never played this series, so I have no idea if that was even an option in the past, but on the surface it sounds really entitled.

I want to say the 3DS version was only one area per console, but I don’t know for sure.

At least people are reacting rationally and not completely entitled and immature about it though. 

My wife's been loving this game but she was confused when she saw an article talking about the game getting low scores.

Turns out gamers have been review bombing this because it only allows you one island per console, and no other users can play it. I've never played this series, so I have no idea if that was even an option in the past, but on the surface it sounds really entitled.

On other recent systems, the save was per game. So if a family shared a 3DS but everyone had their own cart, they’d all have their own towns. It does stink that if you have a couple kids and only one Switch, the island can only “belong” to one decision maker and every other player has much less control. I don’t know about it being an entitled attitude, it’s a big change for the series. 

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

On other recent systems, the save was per game. So if a family shared a 3DS but everyone had their own cart, they’d all have their own towns. It does stink that if you have a couple kids and only one Switch, the island can only “belong” to one decision maker and every other player has much less control. I don’t know about it being an entitled attitude, it’s a big change for the series. 

Sounds like, at least according to the bombcast, that if you have two people on one switch the second person doesn't even get to experience all of the narrative stuff, they are just another person gathering things for the main person

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Sounds like, at least according to the bombcast, that if you have two people on one switch the second person doesn't even get to experience all of the narrative stuff, they are just another person gathering things for the main person

More or less, yeah. 

Animal Crossing has always been weird about data... not saving, changing the time, etc. But you could almost always have several towns if you had multiple copies... or multiple memory cards back in the GameCube era. I THINK the Wii version was the only one that worked kinda like New Horizons... but that was because of the aforementioned data weirdness. 

but on the surface it sounds really entitled

It's not. Like, imagine if you only had one save slot on Mario 64 and you had to share it with your sibling or parent except your sibling/parent can't progress in the game, only you can. Seems like major BS if you ask me. If a parent buys this game for their two kids and they only have one switch, one kid is getting a vastly inferior experience. 

My girlfriend doesn't mind not being able to move forward the narrative, but what is annoying is the online play...We can't connect online while we both play, nor can she use Switch Online through her character/profile (even though it is linked to my console). Dumb. I'm probably going to end up getting the Switch Online family plan just so her account can use it, which isn't a huge deal since it's only a couple bucks, but still highly inconvenient.

14 minutes ago, Chris- said:

My girlfriend doesn't mind not being able to move forward the narrative, but what is annoying is the online play...We can't connect online while we both play, nor can she use Switch Online through her character/profile (even though it is linked to my console). Dumb. I'm probably going to end up getting the Switch Online family plan just so her account can use it, which isn't a huge deal since it's only a couple bucks, but still highly inconvenient.

How would you connect online to play together using one switch?

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

No. You need multiple Switches. The islands are saved on the console, so multiple carts on the same Switch won’t cut it. 

Huh. I guess the Switch carts don't store any data, even for DRM purposes. I remember games on the Vita doing that.

Just now, Reputator said:

Huh. I guess the Switch carts don't store any data, even for DRM purposes. I remember games on the Vita doing that.

Yeah, it’s a combo of saves living in the system / not living on the cart and Nintendo not allowing different user accounts on the same Switch discrete Animal Crossing saves like they do with other games. No idea if the latter is a technical limitation or a design choice.

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, it’s a combo of saves living in the system / not living on the cart and Nintendo not allowing different user accounts on the same Switch discrete Animal Crossing saves like they do with other games. No idea if the latter is a technical limitation or a design choice.

As far as I'm aware, it's a complete design choice. They literally just like the idea of someone building a bridge or planting some flowers and then having another player pop up later and being surprised by the new bridge or watering the flowers planted by the other player. Nintendo very much views Animal Crossing's towns as a living world and the player has no right messing with the passage of time. That's why their tight control on saves is so draconian.

16 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

As far as I'm aware, it's a complete design choice. They literally just like the idea of someone building a bridge or planting some flowers and then having another player pop up later and being surprised by the new bridge or watering the flowers planted by the other player. Nintendo very much views Animal Crossing's towns as a living world and the player has no right messing with the passage of time. That's why their tight control on saves is so draconian.

Yeah. It’s just odd that they retired Resetti and don’t give a shit if you’re date scumming, but do care about multiple islands on the same system. Both? Sure. Neither? Better. One and not the other? So weird. 

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah. It’s just odd that they retired Resetti and don’t give a shit if you’re date scumming, but do care about multiple islands on the same system. Both? Sure. Neither? Better. One and not the other? So weird. 

Save scumming is why the game doesn't allow for cloud save backups. The game is actually constantly saving unlike previous titles that only saved when you shut off the game. That's where Resetti came in. You can't save scum, but you can date scum. Presumably, that should mess with your ability to play online, but I haven't read much about it.

Game got patched. Looks like it is supposed to fix an item dupe glitch

A new patch for Animal Crossing: New Horizons appears to have fixed a pretty massive hole in the game's economy. The version 1.1.1 patch is said to fix a "serious bug affecting game balance," and many players have said this refers to the game's item duplication bug, which apparently no longer works.

The item duplication exploit became widespread quickly, allowing players to make copies of high-value items and sell them off infinitely. This made it easy to make tons of money much earlier in the game than intended, letting you pay off your house payments and buy tons of new items with alarming speed. That ability now appears to be gone.

It's far from the only exploit, though, as players have also been known to "time travel" to impact the game economy as well. That involves tricking the game's clock to make timed events pass more quickly or happen more frequently than they would in normal play. Of course, there are plenty of legitimate ways to make money too, if you're a smart (and scrupulous) investor.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/animal-crossing-new-horizons-update-is-live-report/1100-6475250/

Man, 

I got this a few days ago and I am just loving it.  I am not loving that they block off a chunk of the island by rivers initially, but still I am loving it.  I played the 3ds version and put tons of time into it..and i will be doing the same here.  However, I do not do online play.  So I will never use those features.  Mainly because of the post about cheating. people are crap. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My residential center is closed today for an upgrade and I've got over 300k bells sitting around waiting to pay off my most recent house upgrade. :(

There is no reason why Nook can’t just operate out of his shop while it’s being upgraded. He is just hoping you spend your bells on other things at the shop since you can’t upgrade the house. I DONT TRUST HIM.

I’ve never played Animal Crossing, but I got the new switch one. What the hell is this game? You’re in some sort of debtors prison island where they just make a currency you don’t have and give you a bill after the fact? Is this some meta commentary on the US healthcare system?

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I’ve never played Animal Crossing, but I got the new switch one. What the hell is this game? You’re in some sort of debtors prison island where they just make a currency you don’t have and give you a bill after the fact? Is this some meta commentary on the US healthcare system?

It's a commentary on capitalist consumerism. Your character is always yearning for more. It's never even enough; even if it means digging up weeds too earn some frequent flyer miles you use to fly to a tropical island you visit to do more yard work for additional frequent flier miles. Meanwhile you're in debt to a sleepless raccoon who should be the wealthiest on the island, but doesn't look it an certainly isn't happy about his lot in life. All the while, neither you, Nook, or any of his accursed spawn will ever be as happy as the gorilla in a luchador mask sitting on the beach, watching the waves.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's a commentary on capitalist consumerism. Your character is always yearning for more. It's never even enough; even if it means digging up weeds too earn some frequent flyer miles you use to fly to a tropical island you visit to do more yard work for additional frequent flier miles. Meanwhile you're in debt to a sleepless raccoon who should be the wealthiest on the island, but doesn't look it an certainly isn't happy about his lot in life. All the while, neither you, Nook, or any of his accursed spawn will ever be as happy as the gorilla in a luchador mask sitting on the beach, watching the waves.

Yo fuck Tom Nook and his whole vertically integrated, nepotism fueled, company store, ouroboros frequent flier, bullshit operation. Dude has had me by the balls since 2001 and frankly I'm sick of his shit. That said I can't find tarantulas, which is ALSO bullshit.

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yo fuck Tom Nook and his whole vertically integrated, nepotism fueled, company store, ouroboros frequent flier, bullshit operation. Dude has had me by the balls since 2001 and frankly I'm sick of his shit. That said I can't find tarantulas, which is ALSO bullshit.

I finally caught three of the fuckers last night. I see then plenty, I’ve just always gotten bit. 

8000 bells per spider, baby. 

42 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

And yet, the saddest this game will make you is the day he no longer has anything to sell you.