Update: RIP in Peace, Marvel's Avengers

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

A new character when they need actual endgame content... SE in touch with fans as always 

it's not just a new character... it's more missions and story content. Did you not watch the vid before commenting? Over on the REDDIT for the game this is EXACTLY what fans of the game have been waiting for. Each character will drop with more story content... that's why I want this game to succeed. What they have planned is promising. And I take back what I posted earlier about someone needing to lose their job. That was harsh and didn't take into account the difficulties of finishing the game during Covid and the California wildfires which affected them directly.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

it's not just a new character... it's more missions and story content. Did you not watch the vid before commenting? Over on the REDDIT for the game this is EXACTLY what fans of the game have been waiting for. Each character will drop with more story content... that's why I want this game to succeed. What they have planned is promising. And I take back what I posted earlier about someone needing to lose their job. That was harsh and didn't take into account the difficulties of finishing the game during Covid and the California wildfires which affected them directly.

Funny, what ive seen is “great. More story and no endgame content”, with a few, including Kinda Funny and Whats Good Games communties saying “Yeah, I want to do the story, but I don’t feel like levelling another character to 155 with the same content.”

The video was just Kate and her single player story when i watched (most of) the livestream.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I saw that somewhere else too. So that means they would be selling off Crystal Dynamics? Which would be Tomb Raider and The Avengers for sure... is Deus Ex Crystal too? Did that series underperform as well?

Deus Ex is Eidos Montreal which I assume would be part of the sale.

Yeah, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided underperformed commercially as well because it was split into two games.

Now do both regular and deluxe boost you to the next gen version or just the deluxe? Tempted to buy but which system, Xbox (hoping to series x system soon, have live) or PS4 as I already have a PS5, like the haptic rumble (next gen rumour to get) but don’t have a PSN account (which I’m also tempted to get) 

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Now do both regular and deluxe boost you to the next gen version or just the deluxe? Tempted to buy but which system, Xbox (hoping to series x system soon, have live) or PS4 as I already have a PS5, like the haptic rumble (next gen rumour to get) but don’t have a PSN account (which I’m also tempted to get) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, silentbob said:

Well while I would want more players on the Xbox version you should know that the Playstation version has Spiderman as exclusive dlc at some point. All versions get the free next gen upgrade.

15 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Interesting because between the Reddit and The Discord, I;m seeing folks looking forward to the content... the people who have actually played the game and are fans of it that is :shrug:

Yeah, people definitely want to do it. The campaign is good. But its gonna be a couple of hours of new story and then the same grind. Thats what ive heard in the two communities I support both on patreon. 

All im saying is its not enough to drive longtime engagement. They’ll pick it up, do the story, and not look ar it again till next time. I kinda think player numbers prove it. Theres no hook to keep people invested.

Kids nowadays get bored too easy.

I remember when the Atari and NES was the current generation and you'd pay $50 for a game, you'd beat it in 8-10 hours but still be happy.

I played Avengers for probably 30-40 hours and feel happy and like I got my monies worth even if I never touched it again. Whatever content they want to release for free i'm all for it.

On 11/20/2020 at 6:22 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I guess this is one way to deal with this game's commercial underperformance:

Imagine the company that made the worst MMO of all time that had to be rebuilt over several years and rereleased as a new game trying to sell other divisions of its company because products "underperformed."

Fuckin Square Enix, man. 

And now, completely counter to the point I just made...

4 hours ago, ARZ said:

Kids nowadays get bored too easy.

I remember when the Atari and NES was the current generation and you'd pay $50 for a game, you'd beat it in 8-10 hours but still be happy.

Now think of all the games where I don't have to invoke gaming from 30+ years ago and how we used to love our busted shitty games when we were stupid kids who didn't know any better. Be it base game or post-launch content, there are just way too many superior options to Avengers right now. 

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Imagine the company that made the worst MMO of all time that had to be rebuilt over several years and rereleased as a new game trying to sell other divisions of its company because products "underperformed."

Fuckin Square Enix, man. 

Now think of all the games where I don't have to invoke gaming from 30+ years ago and how we used to love our busted shitty games when we were stupid kids who didn't know any better. Be it base game or post-launch content, there are just way too many superior options to Avengers right now. 

I don't know what the worse MMO of all time is... but to @ARZ's point, if you bought the game and played it JUST for the campaign you got your money's worth and that's if you didn't bother to max out any of the six characters that are there now who all play pretty differently. Every year it seems there's a game that gets dogpiled on before it comes out and never recovers from it because of bad press or perception. This year the Avengers is definitely that game. In a couple of weeks when more gamers play it after picking it up cheap, look for the deluge of "This game is no where near as bad as the press made it out to be" threads and posts. Mark my words. Never fails. It will join Shadow of War, Days Gone and a couple of other recent games that "gamers" arbitrarily decided to pass judgment on before playing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't know what the worse MMO of all time is... but to @ARZ's point, if you bought the game and played it JUST for the campaign you got your money's worth and that's if you didn't bother to max out any of the six characters that are there now who all play pretty differently. Every year it seems there's a game that gets dogpiled on before it comes out and never recovers from it because of bad press or perception. This year the Avengers is definitely that game. In a couple of weeks when more gamers play it after picking it up cheap, look for the deluge of "This game is no where near as bad as the press made it out to be" threads and posts. Mark my words. Never fails. It will join Shadow of War, Days Gone and a couple of other recent games that "gamers" arbitrarily decided to pass judgment on before playing.

The worst MMO of all time is FFXIV 1.0.

And you can find plenty of people who played through the entirety of the Avengers and did not enjoy it very much at all.

And the few that do outside of the dedicated fanbase every single game gates are annoyed because the combat only starts being good long after you beat the campaign and finally start getting endgame abilities, which are still completely ignored by enemies that can't be stunned/juggled.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

The worst MMO of all time is FFXIV 1.0.

And you can find plenty of people who played through the entirety of the Avengers and did not enjoy it very much at all.

And the few that do outside of the dedicated fanbase every single game gates are annoyed because the combat only starts being good long after you beat the campaign and finally start getting endgame abilities, which are still completely ignored by enemies that can't be stunned/juggled.

Enemies can totally be stunned and juggled... depends on your build and how you spec characters out. The game has a pretty devoted fanbase even with all its problems and I hope it can grow if they are able to release content that they have planned. Any game that comes out, you can find people that didn't like it. But if Anthem can get a chance to reinvent itself, then this game DEFINITELY should because it is a far more complete experience than Anthem was out the box... and I played the hell out of that game too.

18 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Fuckin Square Enix, man. 

People still talk about Golden Eye, Ninja Gaiden (NES and Xbox). Tekken, TIE Fighter, Final Fantasy etc. 

Games look prettier and are longer, but longer doesn't mean better. How many complaints about Assassin's Creed and other games out now are bloated bullshit quests that just pad gametime? I've seen you mention an issue like that in the new Yakuza game thread even.

Yes games now are great, but all I was trying to say is that even only 20 years ago....games were shorter, just as expensive and still fun. If you sink 20-30 hours in a game, you must have enjoyed it to a degree, because there's a ton more games out there to try and play where you could have spent that time instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I started the new content, did the first 2 missions. 

+ Kate feels fun to play.  Love the bow and her melee and abilities are fun. Only Level 11 or so, so still lots to unlock.

+ The cinematics and story introducing her and bringing her into the fold is nicely done.

- So far, the added story content mission structure is basically the same areas where most of the end game content takes place.  I haven't finished yet so not sure if any new areas were introduced.

8 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

I'm sure Kate is cool and all but I've already platinum'd the game and I'm going to be spending all of my time in Cyberpunk. I'll probably return to Avengers when Spider-Man shows up. Great game though, very few flaws. 

Glitches and bugs we're pretty bad. They've solved that for the most part though.  Kate plays Great though. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with these other characters.

• 2 months later...