Update: RIP in Peace, Marvel's Avengers

Play the Beta first on PS4. Pre-Order for Beta Access at https://playavengers.games/E3Trailer-YT

Marvel’s Avengers begins at A-Day, where Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor are unveiling a hi-tech Avengers Headquarters in San Francisco — including the reveal of their own helicarrier powered by an experimental energy source. The celebration turns deadly when a catastrophic accident results in massive devastation. Blamed for the tragedy, the Avengers disband. Five years later, with all Super Heroes outlawed and the world in peril, the only hope is to reassemble Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. 

Marvel Entertainment and Square Enix are excited to unveil Marvel’s Avengers, an epic action-adventure game that combines cinematic storytelling with single-player and co-operative gameplay. Developed by Crystal Dynamics in collaboration with Eidos-Montréal, Nixxes Software, and Crystal Northwest, Marvel’s Avengers will release simultaneously for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X, Stadia, and PC on May 15, 2020. 

It's going to get some push back just because it's not using the actors and designs from the MCU, but those character models just don't look good. I also kinda hate these trailers that want to just hint at what gameplay could be, but aren't actually ready to show it.

The Marvel's Avengers E3 gameplay demo didn't exactly look superheroic (PC Gamer)

It sounds ambitious, but what I saw at E3 doesn't really hint at that ambition. It just looks like a short slice of a decent enough third-person action game that happens to feature multiple characters. The reveal would've benefited from being more comprehensive in my opinion, connecting the dots between this one level of set pieces and the scope of this overall years-long plan. A game starring these characters, by this collection of strong developers, should be a surefire win. Hopefully, as we learn more about what sounds like a massive game, it will start to come together.

We Saw 25 Minutes Of Avengers Gameplay – Here's What You Need To Know (Game Informer)

Amos didn’t answer many of our questions (including if four people could all be the Hulk), and instead wanted the demo to speak for itself. While the game looks a little rough at this point, the scale of this experience cannot be denied. The amount of action unfolding at once is impressive, and I really want to see just how much damage Hulk can deal. We unfortunately have to wait until next year to see how the game turns out. 

Marvel's Avengers developers talk multiplayer, monetisation and the lack of MCU (Eurogamer interview)

Again, I was left with more questions than answers. Crystal is showing this particular level but talked earlier this week of a much larger plan for the game, one which turns it into a co-op games-as-a-service vehicle. And, while a generous-sounding plan for post-launch DLC was promised, it remains to be seen how any of the game's multiplayer sections actually work.  And then there's the faces. Seeing an Avengers cast not look like the actors we've all watched on the big screen this year remains jarring.  I caught up with Crystal Dynamics' lead designer Philippe Therien and senior producer Rose Hunt after the presentation to put some of those questions to them.

• Thanks 1

I don't care that they aren't using the MCU likeness-versions of characters...in fact, I think going in a different direction is good! Having said that...this is some uncanny-valley shit and it doesn't look good. IMO they should make it more comic-y (think Overwatch) and over-dramatic in terms of how the characters look.

Something Feels Off About The Avengers Gameplay Demo (Kotaku)

Crystal Dynamics’ take on Avengers looks like a slightly skewed version of the Marvel Cinematic Universe—just similar enough to pique your interest, but just different enough to make you feel itchy. Five of the most film-famous Avengers star in a 25-minute gameplay demo that Kotaku saw behind closed doors at E3: Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, and Black Widow. In action, their moves look great, but visually, it all feels ever so slightly off.

I’m worried about this ‘Marvel’s Avengers’ game (Engadget)

Behind closed doors at E3, however, the team walked me through a gameplay demo that demonstrated what Marvel's Avengers is. If you're expecting cinematic set pieces, superhero quips, fluid combat and plenty of goons to punch and blast, you'll get all of that.  But why am I still so worried about this game?

I don’t really understand why these companies even bother with these secret behind the screens demos.  If you have gameplay to show certain people, just show it to everyone. 

Now people are stuck reading these cryptic, It kinda looks great but also we think it’s gonna suck articles.  I’d think developers should have less faith in gaming “insiders” than they do the general public to see footage and judge for themselves.

• 2 months later...

That looks awesome!  Voice acting is just kinda ok.  I think the models look pretty good, I feel like people think they look off just because they don't look like the MCU actors.  Which unless they were getting all those actors to voice themselves in the game then I think they made the right choice going away from their look.  Nothing worse than actor impersonators, its always so distracting.

It looks like it sticks pretty well to the formula of the previous games, but while I enjoyed some of them (to various degrees), I'm also a bit concerned about a superhero game that's setup like a Tomb Raider title. In Tomb Raider the confined spaces and corridors of baddies were mostly fine (though the more open parts were generally better), but in these demos they just look small. It's one thing if you're this lone person trying to make it through a jungle of terrorists. It's another if you're freaking Iron Man, being rushed to a given location, and you're stuck in a box.

Then again, the only level we've seen is this intro. It's quite possible the rest of the game opens up significantly, which would be typical of Crystal Dynamics previous efforts. The combat looks expected, but solid. They're not doing anything revolutionary here, but if it's executed well it could be a worthwhile playthrough.

49 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

That looks awesome!  Voice acting is just kinda ok.  I think the models look pretty good, I feel like people think they look off just because they don't look like the MCU actors.  Which unless they were getting all those actors to voice themselves in the game then I think they made the right choice going away from their look.  Nothing worse than actor impersonators, its always so distracting.

I agree that it's best that they don't make them look like carbon copies of the MCU characters if the game isn't in the MCU. The problem is everything is so close to the MCU. I know these are characters with long histories of mild revisions, but at this cultural moment the MCU versions are the canonical incarnations of these characters. I feel like they might have been better served by doing the "Miles Morales" versions of characters, or at least find some variations on familiar characters that are more visually distinct. The way it is, it's hard for a casual fan to escape the feeling that these are the "store brand" versions.

So this was what journalists were shitting on back at E3?  They must not have been able to get over the likeness thing, and decided it was worth dog piling on the rest of Crystal Dynamic's work.

I wouldn't expect anything less than a flashy, cinematic, linear as hell stage demo from a superhero property.  It's the nature of the thing, and this was pulled it off well, if not perfectly.

If journalists had their way at E3, everything would be like that Cyberpunk story trailer with a celebrity cameo at the end.  I'm convinced now that the reception would have been reversed if the likenesses were there.  And that's exactly what journalists should have reacting against: the presses' obsession with celebrity, and how it clouts their judgement.  Or how little they value seeing a stage demo vs a story trailer.

I was expecting this to look like hot garbage from how it was described.

15 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I know the Thor voice is the guy who does him on the Marvel Disney Cartoons... I'm all over this though. Game looks awesome... and the girl narrarator is Kamal Khan aka Ms. Marvel. I hope we get plenty of characters in this game... I already know Ant Man will be DLC. I expect Dr. Strange, Black panther and Captain marvel to make appearances too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...