Update: RIP in Peace, Marvel's Avengers

55 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Probably nameplates or other throwaway stuff. I don't think they've done a good job of explaining that 95% of the unlockables in the game you can get just by playing.

I'm not sure what exactly you can realistically earn.

Each Character does have a "Battle Pass" of sorts to unlock a bunch of emotes, skins, and other things unique to their character.  It's 40 Free unlocks, of which I think about 7-8 are skins, 3-5 emotes, and the rest Name Plates, resources, ect.

My guess is all the good skins will be in the Premium store.  It seems you can earn Premium Currency from just playing the game as well, so you can earn even those items just playing, but I'm not sure at what rate or how quickly that'll happen.

You can't buy the currency in the beta so it's tough to judge the costs of the skins.  If its 100 = $1, then the "Legendary" skins wil lbe going for $14ish a pop.

Also wonder if they will have updates where current characters get new "Battle Passes" with new unlocks.  Or if it's a one time thing per character.

43 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I'm not sure what exactly you can realistically earn.

Each Character does have a "Battle Pass" of sorts to unlock a bunch of emotes, skins, and other things unique to their character.  It's 40 Free unlocks, of which I think about 7-8 are skins, 3-5 emotes, and the rest Name Plates, resources, ect.

My guess is all the good skins will be in the Premium store.  It seems you can earn Premium Currency from just playing the game as well, so you can earn even those items just playing, but I'm not sure at what rate or how quickly that'll happen.

You can't buy the currency in the beta so it's tough to judge the costs of the skins.  If its 100 = $1, then the "Legendary" skins wil lbe going for $14ish a pop.

Also wonder if they will have updates where current characters get new "Battle Passes" with new unlocks.  Or if it's a one time thing per character.

According to Arrekz' videos, the battle passes and buying of currency are just shortcuts to getting stuff you don't want to grind for. He DID say that there will be premium skins that you can ONLY buy from the store with cash but the 95% number I gave or whatever came from him. He also did say that he could be wrong or that Square/Enix may change some stuff.

6 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Battle/Season passes

Agreed. I finally hit my limit with season passes. I've only really invested in Rocket League and Apex Legends. But the thought of having time for any other game is laughable. It's so tempting to drop that extra $10 to keep unlocking stuff but it's never anything that amazing. And it's never unique since everybody else is unlocking the same stuff anyway.

This Avengers game could be especially dirty with the amount of characters they have.... thats a lot of "premium" costumes that can pop up to tempt you to buy. 

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

According to Arrekz' videos, the battle passes and buying of currency are just shortcuts to getting stuff you don't want to grind for. He DID say that there will be premium skins that you can ONLY buy from the store with cash but the 95% number I gave or whatever came from him. He also did say that he could be wrong or that Square/Enix may change some stuff.

Maybe there are more systems not in the beta, but it seems like it follows just about every other popular game with a Battle Pass system from what I've seen in the beta.

I'm guessing with each characters story arcs you can prob earn additional skins as well as rewards.

I doubt the Skins in the Premium store will ever be attainable in game though as rewards.  And most likely those will be some of the cooler more unique skins.

Just now, DarkStar189 said:

Agreed. I finally hit my limit with season passes. I've only really invested in Rocket League and Apex Legends. But the thought of having time for any other game is laughable. It's so tempting to drop that extra $10 to keep unlocking stuff but it's never anything that amazing. And it's never unique since everybody else is unlocking the same stuff anyway.

This Avengers game could be especially dirty with the amount of characters they have.... thats a lot of "premium" costumes that can pop up to tempt you to buy. 

For the record, these "Season/Battle Passes" are free.  They basically just slowly unlock things per character as you play and do challenges each day/week.  I don' t think there's any time limit on it either, which is why I don't think it's a Seasons Pass, but just a way to give each character a bunch of unlocks to work towards.

The Beta did enough to get me more excited for the game in a few weeks.

Initially I wasn't too impressed after the intro and first few story missions.  I had way more concerns than excitement.

As I played more, learned the combat more, and kept pushing forward, it started to scratch the itch of the Loot Games I always enjoy.

I'm not even a big Marvel fan, but playing the different characters was fun, and the prospect of additional characters constantly being added is a big plus in this game, as many times these Looter games start with limited classes, and hardly add to them.  We will have to see how quickly they are added, and if they feel like worthy additions, or reskins of current characters.

While not a fan of the way loot is handled, I do like they have all rarities drop at all levels.  Too many games tie Legendary's or Exotics or whatever to only the highest Max Level Gear, and that's never fun in these games.  I enjoy getting them throughout my leveling process.

I do think they could add a bit more splash when loot does drop.  Currently there's no real sound indication or anything that really makes it pop. 

I upped the difficulty to Brutal, and it seems like you can play Brutal Difficulty at anytime really, as it just ups the Levels of enemies to +10 of your current level.  So if you're 1, they will be 11.  Its definitely difficult, but still very doable, and it did feel like the rewards were quite a bit better, and made the combat more interesting as you had to think a bit more about encounters.

I'm not sure if you will have a chance to change the LB/RB/Ult abilities each character has.  I hope you can cause that will add a lot more customization to the characters.

I still have some concerns on longevity, but still had enough fun with the beta to want to dive into it more with the full game.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/08/17/list-of-17-leaked-unlockable-avengers-raises-questions-about-the-game/#454480993d4a

Dataminer u/RoboMatters (via Eurogamer) found a list of 17(!) characters currently not in the game that are listed as “Unlockable” in the files, which raises a whole bunch of questions about how expansive this roster is going to get, and what that means for gameplay.

Here’s the list:

Ant-Man
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Doctor Strange
Falcon
Hawkeye
Hulkbuster
Kate Bishop
Mar-Vell
Mockingbird
Quake
Scarlet Witch
She-Hulk
Vision
War Machine
Wasp
Winter Soldier

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I could have SWORN I posted this late last night... must have been later than I thought. Mockingbird could essentially be a Black Widow Skin. Dr. Strange and Scarlet Witch could share movesets but be unique to themselves. Black Panther would probably be a unique character so would Captain Marvel. Marv-el could be a Skin for her. Quake could be pretty unique too.

4 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

If Quake looks like Chloe Bennet, it will go a teensy bit toward making me want to play the game.

Or they could base her off of Quake's original inspiration Angelina Jolie

We also need an Agent Coulson, because at this point why the fuck not.

I expect Nick Fury will be an unlockable at some point so Coulson could easily be a pallette swap with him.

22 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I don't get it. Thor set his hammer down on Steve's monument and walked away? Why would he do that? Avengers might be disbanded, but he doesn't have to stop being Thor. Hell, he doesn't have to stay on Earth. Granted, it's not like anybody's gonna run off with it, but still.

He gets to fulfill his lifetime dream of being an EMT.

5 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I don't get it. Thor set his hammer down on Steve's monument and walked away? Why would he do that? Avengers might be disbanded, but he doesn't have to stop being Thor. Hell, he doesn't have to stay on Earth. Granted, it's not like anybody's gonna run off with it, but still.

Because he wants to get fat and play video games all day. Haven't you seen the movie?

I'm not sure how true it is, but it's said to have a pretty lengthy single player campaign as well.  I cant remember where I saw it, but i thought I read between 10-15 hours of single player type campaign missions that tell the story and unlock the world/characters, then all the extra War Zone things to do co-op, then the Raid coming.

I actually really enjoyed all the different characters in the beta.  It's hard to choose which I liked the most or would want to main based on what I played so far.  The prospect of regularly added new characters is a bright spot for the game if its done well.  If I can look forward to a new character being introduced every 3-6 months or so along with the typical content updates these types of games receive, I think it could be a good Looter for some time to come.

As with all these types of games though, need to wait until players hit End Game and see what that type of content and grind is like.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I'm not sure how true it is, but it's said to have a pretty lengthy single player campaign as well.  I cant remember where I saw it, but i thought I read between 10-15 hours of single player type campaign missions that tell the story and unlock the world/characters, then all the extra War Zone things to do co-op, then the Raid coming.

I actually really enjoyed all the different characters in the beta.  It's hard to choose which I liked the most or would want to main based on what I played so far.  The prospect of regularly added new characters is a bright spot for the game if its done well.  If I can look forward to a new character being introduced every 3-6 months or so along with the typical content updates these types of games receive, I think it could be a good Looter for some time to come.

As with all these types of games though, need to wait until players hit End Game and see what that type of content and grind is like.

If all I get out of this game is the single player campaign I'm good with that. Like I said in our other chat, each character plays like the star of their own single player action game. The multiplayer and loot stuff is a bonus for me.

• Like 1