Update: RIP in Peace, Marvel's Avengers

6 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

I guess the main story can be beaten in 10hrs if you rush through on easy. The main story is well over 10 hours long bpt to mention each characters unigue stories take up even more time.

And you do know that all of those multiplayer missions(minus the raids) can be played solo with AI companions made up of your other characters that you level up? 

Sounds good, I'll probably buy it sooner rather than later after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kotaku's Tips For Playing Avengers

This one jumped out...

Don’t stress over the microtransactions.

Seriously, they’re not that bad. As far as big-budget online games go, they’re minimally invasive, and can only be used for cosmetic options—emotes, outfits, and the like. No one’s paying their way to victory here.

:whistlin:

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Why not? It's an annual sports game that  is a big seller.

I thought it would be a bigger seller is my point. According to that article, its sales are DOWN like 37%.

Rounding off the all-new Top Three is NBA 2K21. The game hasn't got off to the best start in physical sales, with week one sales down 37% compared with NBA 2K20. Of course, it must be noted that digital sales are not included in these charts.

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well it is the UK. Do a lot of people care about the NBA in the UK?

Don't know... but apparently 37% less care this year than last year which is what jumped out to me because that is a BIG drop. That is why I wondered if that's reflected more in the increase in digital sales and not because of other factors.

33 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Don't know... but apparently 37% less care this year than last year which is what jumped out to me because that is a BIG drop. That is why I wondered if that's reflected more in the increase in digital sales and not because of other factors.

Is 2k doing the Free Upgrade for next gen? I know they plan to charge $70 for next gen versions.  Maybe people are waiting?

I'm only a couple hours into the campaign, so I haven't seen much of Captain America.  But I've figured out what initially feels off about him for me.  While each of the Avengers gives me an uncanny valley feeling because they are close to, but not exactly like, their movie counterparts, Captain America's model reminds me too much of Homelander (The Boys.  I swear in a a cutscene he had some crazy eyes going on too (probably a bug).

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'm only a couple hours into the campaign, so I haven't seen much of Captain America.  But I've figured out what initially feels off about him for me.  While each of the Avengers gives me an uncanny valley feeling because they are close to, but not exactly like, their movie counterparts, Captain America's model reminds me too much of Homelander (The Boys.  I swear in a a cutscene he had some crazy eyes going on too (probably a bug).

Yo he kinda does :lol: Sounds like him too... Nolan North is Tony Stark and Troy Baker is Bruce Banner and they are both awesome in their roles. Whoever is playing Kamala is great too and I don't know who is playing Black Widow but I recgonize the voice from somewhere. They guy playing Thor is the same guy who's been playing him for the past several years on various cartoons.

Game Information

Game Title: Marvel's Avengers

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Sep 4, 2020)
  • PC (Sep 4, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Sep 4, 2020)
  • Google Stadia (Sep 4, 2020)

Trailer:

Developers: Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal

Publisher: Square Enix

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 68 average - 43% recommended

Critic Reviews

Battle4play.com - Spanish - 93 / 100

Marvel's Avengers manages to present a story worthy of the brand, entertaining with lots of easter eggs. All the characters look spectacular. It remains to be seen how multiplayer fares in the future.

Gamerheadquarters - 9 / 10

Marvel’s Avengers is a generally fantastic and expansive experience that can provide countless hours of gameplay.

GotGame - 9 / 10

With an endearing story and much deeper multiplayer experiences, Marvel’s Avengers is well worth another look. It’s clear that this game is a passion project for fans, by fans. Even if you think the developers didn’t have the fans in mind, the game asks you to think again.

Hynerd.it - Italian - 9 / 10

Marvel's Avengers is immature but has the potential to become one of the best games as a service on the market. Crystal Dynamics does not betray its soul and packages a product that steals the best from the competition, implementing the best of its resources.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 89 / 100

Marvel´s Avengers is a very ambitious game, with a spectacular single player campaign and multiplayer designed as a MMO, with enjoyable combat system and the promise of lots of content and new heroes incoming. Some missions can get repetitive.

Game Informer - 8.8 / 10

The amount of depth can be confusing at first, but you have plenty of reasons to keep playing in the endgame

XboxEra - 8.8 / 10

Despite a rocky reveal Marvel’s Avengers is a fun, and gorgeous game that is a blast to play both solo and with friends. Featuring a campaign with emotional heft and multiplayer that is built to last, it is an easy recommendation for any fan of either the genre or the source material.

But Why Tho? - 8.5 / 10

Marvel’s Avengers is a fun, heartfelt action RPG that is filled with promise. A few technical hiccups and bland enemies aside, this game delivers the wonderful moments and great gameplay these characters have always deserved from a video game title.

Digital Chumps - 8.5 / 10

In spite of its rough edges and games as a service trappings, Marvel's Avengers triumphs against most overwhelming odds by allowing players to live out a multi-faceted superhero fantasy with friends.

GameBlast - Portuguese - 8.5 / 10

The expectation for Marvel’s Avengers was huge. At the end of the day, it was met in large part, especially in the excellent campaign with great characters, fun and functional gameplay and variety of customizations. The biggest problem is that the multiplayer, although promising, needs care to be more interesting. Given the title's potential, I believe it will find its way and become an even better game in the future.

Heavy - 8.5 / 10

Marvel’s Avengers is still worth a recommendation and looks to be even more worthy as it throws free DLC at players over time.

PlayStation Universe - 8.5 / 10

With a stellar campaign and set pieces that rival anything in the MCU, Marvel's Avengers already delivers a ton of value. But add on the endless multiplayer and future characters, and this game is poised to be a classic. Some early bugs distract from the fun, but the bones of the game are solid. Marvel's Avengers is an amazing achievement.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Marvel’s Avengers is a great superhero game. His story is really well built, leaving really spectacular moments, especially in its final part, which will get to stay in the retina of Marvel fans.

Worth Playing - 8.5 / 10

Marvel's Avengers is an enjoyable Avengers-themed brawler that's tied to an untested multiplayer mode. If all you want is to play through the video game equivalent of a Marvel movie, then it does an excellent job. If you're hoping for something you can play for infinite hours with constant updates, the truth is that it's too early to tell. What we played was fun for a few hours of co-op, but I have my doubts about its long-term viability. It's by far the best Avengers game ever made, and with the exception of Hulk (whose Hulk: Ultimate Destruction remains the pinnacle of Hulk gameplay), it features the best video game version of the superheroes to date.

Areajugones - Spanish - 8.4 / 10

In general, Marvel's Avengers is a more than correct game that entertains and will give us many hours of entertainment with friends. The campaign mode is the best it has, although you must improve the multiplayer incentives if you do not want to be forgotten.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 84 / 100

The recurring failures in games of the genre do not take the shine from Marvel's Avengers. In addition to unparalleled potential, a well-presented universe, sharp gameplay and the possibility to enjoy in different ways for countless hours, the Crystal Dynamics title can achieve, in general, the success that other games have achieved only in a more restricted audience.

GameCrate - 8.3 / 10

Marvel's Avengers isn't quite a slam dunk, but as a co-op friendly superhero game it does a lot more right than wrong.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Marvel's Avengers is a strange and somehow unexpected hybrid. Considered on its own, the campaign is an excellent action adventure, able to capture the spirit of Marvel characters both in battle and in everyday demeanor with an enthusiastic cinematic approach. The forced mashup with a Destiny-like multiplayer, however, does not benefit the game as a whole: online features are just weak, to the point they partially water down the singleplayer campaign.

Cheat Code Central - 4 / 5

The game is amazing for a weekend, but for several months? For the moment, it seems unlikely. Hopefully that will change.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

Whether you’re an avid Marvel fan or simply enjoy sinking numerous hours into action RPGs, there’s a lot to love about Marvel’s Avengers. Its characters and its world have been brought to life with a lot of care and detail, making it a pleasure to spend time with.

Gamers Heroes - 80 / 100

The future of Marvel's Avengers ongoing success will be completely dependent on the quality and regularity of content. However, as a game available today, it's a solid entry into the loot and shoot RPG space. The single player story is worth the price of admission alone, leaving the fun but dated approach to multiplayer a welcome addition for fans of the looter style approach.

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

The campaign is brilliant, and despite its flaws I've had a great time with Marvel's Avengers - and I'm not done yet

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

You come to Marvel's Avengers to play their campaign and leave it a few hours later, fed up with repeating tedious missions just to get that gear or skin that you think you need.

Inverse - 8 / 10

This could have been a disaster. Thankfully, Avengers is simply a blast to play.

MonsterVine - 4 / 5

Marvel’s Avengers is an all-around fun title that does justice to the Avengers name.

NaviGames - Spanish - 8 / 10

Marvel’s Avengers is a great starting point for the franchise that may need bit more time to show its full potential.

PC Invasion - 8 / 10

Marvel's Avengers is a very entertaining game that makes great use of its characters. The PC version gave me some problems and many others are having similar issues, but it's an enjoyable time with a lot of value.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

Quote not yet available

Skewed & Reviewed - 4 / 5 stars

Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics have combined to create one of the most enjoyable Super Hero games ever and one of the more enjoyable gaming experiences of 2020.

We Got This Covered - 4 / 5 stars

Marvel's Avengers is a triumph of a superhero team-up game, with tight gameplay, tons to do and collect and the promise of more to come in the future.

Just Push Start - 3.9 / 5

Marvel's Avengers has a good campaign, and I'm surprised by how much I liked the overall game. Sure the gameplay can feel repetitive, but I enjoyed playing as many different characters. The main thing that disappointed me though is the lack of offline multiplayer and the repetitive endgame content. Aside from that, I still enjoyed beating up bad guys as the Avengers.

MondoXbox - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Marvel's Avengers nails plot and characterization, giving us an absolutely lovable Kamala Khan and delivering some stunning and single-player missions. Where the game disappoints is in the many co-op missions, which feel too repetitive and uninteresting, and in a bit too many bugs. The end result is a mixed bag between a great single-player third-person action-adventure and a disappointing GaaS experience.

Video Chums - 7.8 / 10

The story campaign in Marvel's Avengers is a wonderful treat for fans of Marvel as it's full of superhero fun. Beyond that, the experience unfortunately doesn't quite maintain its level of excitement in its multiplayer component.

CGMagazine - 7.5 / 10

Marvel's Avengers at launch is a solid-foundation for Crystal Dynamics to build upon and develop into a fantastic live-service title that joins the ranks of Warframe and Destiny 2.

DASHGAMER.com - 7.5 / 10

It’s not quite everything you imagined and there is surely more action to come, but for now, there are plenty of chips and dip on the table, so don’t mind me while I dig in and dance around with my friends.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 7.5 / 10

There are moments, when Marvel’s Avengers shines really brightly. About a year from now, the game will certainly be less Thor: The Dark World and more Thor: Ragnarok, hopefully shining at all times. The developers need to polish the interface, fix some technical issues and add some more "stuff." Until then, we get a product that's more than satisfying.

GameGrin - 7.5 / 10

An excellent campaign diminished by the intrusion of the game's multiplayer elements. Some peculiar bugs and sloppy proof-reading can pull you out of the experience but enjoyable combat and an excellent take on some Marvel staples make for an overall fun but grindy core gameplay loop.

GamingTrend - 75 / 100

With a great campaign, and engaging (albeit repetitive) multiplayer, Marvel's Avengers is a fun title with cosmetic-only games as a service components bolted onto it. The innumerable bugs hide what could be an amazing and ever-expanding universe -- I just hope the team at SquareEnix is up to the challenge. I want to "do this all day"...but right now we are in the "you hope for the best and make do with what you get" stage.

Oyungezer Online - Turkish - 7.5 / 10

Amazing performance in campaign mode, but multiplayer side is too repetitive. If it can break the current repetitive cycle, Marvel's Avengers can be a big hit in the future.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 7.5 / 10

For all of my criticisms, Marvel's Avengers is still a game I can't wait to get back to playing. While there's a lot of work to do, it gets one main thing right: it's fun to be an Avenger. Crystal Dynamics captured this incredible feeling of being a superhero and distilled it into a digital environment. Combat is deep and nuanced, with far more complexities and character than your traditional superhero brawler. Right now, Marvel's Avengers is a bit rough around the edges, but "good isn't a thing you are. It's a thing you do." If Crystal Dynamics can smooth performance and squash bugs, as well as build out a more compelling endgame experience, it has a lot of potential to be one of the most memorable and replayable loot brawlers of this generation and next.

Sirus Gaming - 7.5 / 10

Overall, I really enjoyed Marvel’s Avengers. The story, the action-packed battles. The freedom of flying as Thor or Iron Man. I believe these parts of the game make it very enjoyable. Especially for Marvel fans out there. There are a few technical glitches here and there where I experienced some frame drops when there’s just too much happening in the screen but it’s nothing that a future patch can’t fix. I’m excited to see where this game leads and I would recommend it if you are looking for that superhero fix.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.4 / 10

Marvel's Avengers has a shallow and linear campaign, saved only by a brilliant start and the exciting finale. Multiplayer mode offers a good mission variety, but the success of the game con be already compromised by the repetitiveness and the generic combat system.

Gamersky - Chinese - 7.3 / 10

Playing Marvel's Avengers is just like chewing the gum, it tastes sweet at the beginning but plain in the end. The story of the campaign is fun and the superheroes are vivid. But the repetitive missions, worthless loots, and tons of bugs will eventually let you down.

Atomix - Spanish - 70 / 100

Marvel's Avengers has a great main campaign accompanied by great potential, but in the end it is overshadowed by technical errors and an unnecessary GaaS section.

Attack of the Fanboy - 3.5 / 5 stars

Marvel's Avengers is not particularly great at any one thing. Instead, it's just okay at a lot of things, and that's all it really needs to be.

BaziCenter - Persian - 7 / 10

Marvel's Avengers, as a package that tries to offer solid single-player action and durable multi-player experience, is a failure at its current state. It's not necessarily a bad game and it's actually fun and entertaining to interact with many of the super heroes from the Marvel's universe, but the final product can't keep up with the expectations.

COGconnected - 70 / 100

Although my ultimate verdict is weeks of multiplayer away, the first slice of this cake is a tasty one. Even casual Marvel fans would do well to keep Marvel’s Avengers on their radar.

Checkpoint Gaming - 7 / 10

Coming out of Marvel’s Avengers, I’ve surprisingly been won over. With a charming set of characters both familiar and new to me, loot to keep me going and a solid promise of its future, it’s a game I’ll absolutely be keen to return to. That does come with a caveat. There are some glaring and testing faults the game exhibits. If you plan at all on jumping in and donning that cape, then do so. Just maybe keep your non-superhero day job at the ready.

Critical Hit - 7 / 10

Marvel's Avengers is both a fantastic story and a dead-average grind for meaningless loot. When everything comes together, it's a brilliant power fantasy with heart and a true passion for its source material. Those moments are fleeting though, held back by a range of technical issues, shockingly sloppy design, and no solid idea of what kind of game it really wants to be. Some assembly, definitely required.

Filmweb - Polish - 7 / 10 stars

Maybe not the best looter shooter but Avengers fans should be pleased.

GameSpot - 7 / 10

Avengers feels like two separate games smashed together, and while they don't always sync up, both parts are linked by deep, intelligent combat spread across varied heroes.

GameZone - 7 / 10

Marvel's Avengers only just staggers its way to being a game worthy of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. An incredibly compelling story, rich characters, and some moments fans have always longed for only carry it so far. The competing visions for an online and single player game make for a confusing, uneven experience.

Gamefa - Persian - 7 / 10

Marvel’s Avengers is a good game but it had many potentials to be a perfect game. The story and character development are fascinating and has more deep than I expected from this game, and the base core gameplay and combat mechanics are done very well. Still, unfortunately GaaS elements had affected most parts of the gameplay, from level design to the overall experience. There are also some technical issues, especially in console versions, that hurts the overall experience. The game didn’t realize its full potential, but it can be enjoyable for marvel comic fans and it of course improves through time.

Gamer Guides - 3.5 / 5 stars

I thoroughly enjoyed the story of the campaign, the combat is very well done and fun to play, with an interesting skill system which accompanied it but the mission variety and level design let the game down while the multiplayer needs a lot more content.

Hey Poor Player - 3.5 / 5

Marvel’s Avengers turns a childhood dream into a reality by letting us fight as our favorite Marvel superheroes. Like candy, the game is an incredibly fun treat best consumed over time and in small doses.

Impulsegamer - 3.5 / 5

Marvel's Avengers seems uncomfortable with itself. The single player campaign is charming and only lags in the areas that feature dull loot collecting sections. The post-game features fun combat in a co-op setting but can be a genuine drag to slog through. Overall the game is lacking a sense of life and variety to compliment the fun combat. It's a shame because playing as the Avengers is a delightful experience, with each hero having its own endearing play quirks. Perhaps future updates will nail the balance, but right now it's not quite worthy of lifting Thors Hammer.

LevelUp - Spanish - 7 / 10

The current state of Marvel's Avengers is not much different of how we find Bruce Banner in the game's campaing. They are both in a bad position and they don't shine as bright as they should. However, they also have the potential to be something bigger, stronger and special. In Marvel's Avengers you will find a brilliant really good campaign and a competent looter multiplayer, but Crystal Dynamics still has work to do.

Noisy Pixel - 7 / 10

Marvel’s Avengers isn’t the superhero adventure I was hoping for, but it is an adventure I didn’t mind playing through. There are moments of gameplay where you feel like a member of the Avengers, but that requires you to look past some repetitive stage designs and surface-level combat systems. Regardless, there’s no doubt that there’s plenty of fun to be found here, and I’ll for sure keep my cape ready for any future experiences this game offers.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

A range of technical issues are holding it back at launch, but a combination of satisfying combat and likable characters has delivered the foundation of an excellent superhero game.

Press Start - 7 / 10

A great campaign and excellent gameplay can't keep Marvel's Avengers from feeling like lost potential. Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix seem to have big plans for the game, but right now the multiplayer-focused Avengers Initiative mode feels nothing more than a monotonous, boring old grind.

Pure Xbox - 7 / 10

Marvel's Avengers is sprawling and spectacular, messy and bloated all at the same time. There's a surprisingly fun and lengthy campaign here, excellent writing and acting and some of the best superhero brawling in the business. It excels at allowing you to really feel like you're fighting alongside your favourite superheroes as you decimate enemies and destroy scenery, but it loses some of that swagger as it enters its online endgame. There's a half-baked gear system, convoluted menus and questlines and some technical issues that make fighting online feel a little rough around the edges at this point in time. However, with a couple of patches, with the right support down the line in terms of new heroes, costumes, bad guys and story beats, Crystal Dynamics could be on to a winner here. This is a properly solid start and a pleasant surprise.

RPG Site - 7 / 10

Earth's mightiest heroes... eventually.

Rocket Chainsaw - 3.5 / 5 stars

It’s off to a shaky start, but if the game can survive the next generation launch and assemble a community with a diverse range of superheroes and missions, there’s no reason that this game can’t be great in the not too distant future.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 7 / 10

As a Games as a Service offering featuring cinema's hot new franchise this is a bit of a letdown, not because of a lack of spirit or ideas, but because of a lack of polish and direction.

Softpedia - 7 / 10

But even these moments cannot make me forget about the technical issues, and the sacrifices made to turn the game into a live service. The lack of variety may get addressed by future free or paid updates, but you remain with the feeling that if the effort would have been invested in focusing on a single-player experience Marvel's Avengers could have been truly great. Instead, we received a mixed bag of experiences that vary from great to downright monotonous.

TechRaptor - 7 / 10

Marvel's Avengers has a great campaign that is held back by a repetitive multiplayer aspect.

TheGamer - 3.5 / 5 stars

Every looter struggles in the early days, and it would be naive think a studio that's never made a game of this type before would nail it right out of the gate. That being said, it's already in way better shape than I ever expected it to be at launch, and, most critically, the combat — particularly in multiplayer — is an absolute blast. I'm hopeful, and I'll be sticking around to see where things go from here.

TheSixthAxis - 7 / 10

Past its flaws and behind the grind, Marvel's Avengers is still a fun superhero brawler that has plenty of room to grow in the coming months.

TrustedReviews - 3.5 / 5 stars

Marvel’s Avengers has proven to be a pleasant surprise, even if its live service identity arguably hinders the true potential of its world, story and characters. Engaging combat and rewarding progression have established a solid foundation for Crystal Dynamics to build upon with new heroes and scenarios in the months and years to come.

VideoGamer - 7 / 10

There may well be the feeling of a missed opportunity here, but no matter. Almost worthy is still pretty good.

Xbox Achievements - 70 / 100

At its core, Marvel's Avengers is so very nearly there, and while there are some glaring similarities to Anthem – BioWare's maligned attempt at aping Destiny – it's still an enjoyable and addictive game, for the most part, with a compelling gameplay loop that makes it easy to overlook the lack of multiplayer mission variety. If you were just to play Marvel's Avengers for its campaign, you wouldn't feel too hard done by, but clearly this is something that's built to last, and on that front we're unsure of where the game's fortunes will ultimately lie.

Cerealkillerz - German - 6.9 / 10

Marvel’s Avengers is an ambitious project that wants to pull players in with well known super heroes. Sadly it shows pretty quickly its weaknesses in terms of gameplay and the lack of endgame content. Besides the surprisingly good story the bad parts predominate throughout the whole game including the matchmaking in the multiplayer.

PC Gamer - 69 / 100

A well-told campaign and story do their best to mask a rather scrawny service game beneath.

Cultured Vultures - 6.5 / 10

Marvel's Avengers is held up by a surprisingly excellent single-player campaign and let down by its stagnant gameplay loop and widespread technical issues. We definitely can't do this all day.

Game Debate - 6.5 / 10

As a standalone, single player adventure, Marvel's Avengers is a great experience that is well worth it for major fans of the Marvel universe, Movies and all. However, the majority of endgame content suffers from repetitive and uninspired missions, making the progress from vigilante to superhero a boring task. Though the promise of free post-launch content for 2 years is enticing for even the most hardcore and dedicated Marvel fans.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 65 / 100

Marvel's Avengers has a depth combat system. But if it's were in the cinematic universe, it would probably worse than Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Demon Gaming - 6.3 / 10

Let’s talk about the story! As we all know from the initial trailer, the game opens up with a massive Avengers-themed Con where the biggest fans gather in celebration of the Earth’s Heroes. The main narrative of Marvel Avengers is told through the eyes of Kamala Khan, also known as Ms. Marvel. Kamala is an interesting character to play as because at the beginning of the game, she has no powers and is just an average you teenager with a big love for comic books. As we know though, this celebration is disrupted and a catastrophic event happens, which is blamed on The Avengers, causing them to disband. The main game takes place a few years later with the focus of reuniting the team and persuading the world of The Avenger’s innocence.

Daily Mirror - 3 / 5 stars

If you have even a passing fondness for these legendary Marvel characters, you'll likely have a blast with Avengers' campaign, but the relentless enticements for virtual wares might put you off hanging around afterwards.

Destructoid - 6 / 10

When Avengers isn't getting in the way of itself with its tacked-on campaign, it's a bit of silly arcade fun. If a lot of these concerns are answered via post-launch patches and the DLC characters are fun to play, there's plenty of room for improvement with Avengers. At launch, it's not going to wow everyone. Maybe Marvel wanted this out as soon as possible, but it could have used another delay.

DualShockers - 6 / 10

Earth's Mightiest Heroes gather for a well-crafted single-player adventure but a middling multiplayer experience in Marvel's Avengers.

Gadgets 360 - 6 / 10

It's nowhere as annoying as the problems with combat though. If you can look past the latter — and it's not easy — you'll find a story that's largely well done, especially when it comes to Kamala's role in it. Its best moments are the narrative interludes, be it the early fun, charming, and giddy moments she shares with the Avengers or the quiet moments

Game Revolution - 3 / 5 stars

Marvel’s Avengers is an identity crisis of a game. Moving from some excellent linear missions that capture Marvel fandom from the point of view of the fantastic Ms. Marvel, to a sudden smattering of seriously generic co-op missions featuring the most boring of enemies defending the most tedious of objectives, made me feel like I was moving between two entirely different games.

GameMAG - Russian - 6 / 10

Marvel's Avengers is a typical holiday blockbuster with bright special effects, explosions, chases and familiar characters, which periodically descends into dullness with boring missions and tasks. Without all this tinsel and service elements, Marvel's Avengers would probably be a much more complete and interesting game. At the same time, Crystal Dynamics managed to create a really interesting character with Kamala Khan, who deserves much more attention than the rest of the Avengers squad.

GameWatcher - 6 / 10

A superhero game where heroes are quite fragile, Marvel's Avengers is constantly in doubt of where it wants to go and ends up arriving nowhere.

Gameblog - French - 6 / 10

Marvel's Avengers allows players to play through an entertainment main story but is held back by its uninspired Destiny-like gameplay and numerous technical issues. Square Enix should have allowed Crystal Dynamics to create a more full on AAA single player game instead.

GamesRadar+ - 3 / 5 stars

A snappy, fun campaign full of great VO ends too soon, and the game-as-service that comes after is paper thin

Hardcore Gamer - 3 / 5

Marvel's Avengers clearly wants to be something great, but it can't answer what that something is.

IGN - 6 / 10

Marvel's Avengers' campaign is fun and endearing, but the loot-based post-game meant to be the meat of this meal is unrewarding and overly repetitive.

New Game Network - 60 / 100

Marvel's Avengers has some good ideas, a satisfying campaign and enjoyable combat across a variety of heroes. But it suffers from repetitive and shallow missions, borrowed mechanics that aren't executed particularly well, and not least of all, pronounced technical issues.

PCMag - 3 / 5 stars

Marvel's Avengers is a cinematic action game featuring Black Widow, Captain America, Iron Man, and other popular superheroes. It's packed with cool, customizable loot and punchable bad guys, but the action drags.

Push Square - 6 / 10

Marvel's Avengers' least advertised aspect turns out to be its greatest asset, and it's exactly what hardcore fans were craving the most. The story and everything that comes with it is a real highlight, allowing the exceptional Kamala Khan to take the lead and bring with her enjoyable combat systems and fun parkour. The shocking framerate, along with bugs and glitches, should be fixed in the near future, but it's what the game has you do after the credits roll that quickly becomes its biggest downfall. Marvel's Avengers has a single player campaign that thoroughly excites, surprises, and delights. What follows brings it crashing back down to Earth.

Screen Rant - 3 / 5 stars

If players are just interested in the story of Marvel's Avengers and like what they've seen in the commercials and prereleases streams, the game provides just that. There isn't much more than that, unfortunately, and the multiplayer side of things doesn't seem to offer that much more in terms of variety or novel experiences. As a standalone Marvel experience, this gets the job done, but it certainly wasn't worth the years of buildup or the epic placement it has as one of the top AAA games of 2020. It's less of an Avengers: Endgame and more of an Ant-Man and the Wasp, a perfectly serviceable comic adventure that will draw players in when there's a new story available, but probably not before.

The Escapist - 6 / 10

With a substantial amount of new content in the future, as well as some variety in mission objectives, Marvel’s Avengers could be worth a player’s time and effort. At the very least, the roughly 8-10 hour campaign is worth experiencing if only for the amazing portrayal of Kamala Khan. Right now, though, you may want to steer clear until more updates arrive.

The Outerhaven Productions - 3 / 5 stars

Welcome to the Avengers Initiative where you will be tasked to head from one end of a post A day globe to another taking down threats to the peace and to bring AIM to its knees in an effort to bring the Avengers back from the shadows.

Twinfinite - 3 / 5

Marvel’s Avengers is a game of two halves, and neither are anything special available.

Bazimag - Persian - 5.6 / 10

Marvel's Avengers is a soulless Game that feels like more care has gone into the game’s economy than its experience and as expected a disgusting microtransactions features.

GamingBolt - 5 / 10

There have been plenty of moments during my time with Marvel's Avengers where I've genuinely had a great time. But this game keeps finding ways to drag itself down- at times it almost feels like it goes out of its way to do so. There's just so much here that I can't overlook, no matter how hard I may try. An unnecessary and broken loot system, a litany of horrible technical issues, uninspired and one-note mission design, and a story that fails just as much as it succeeds- it doesn't matter how mindlessly fun the combat is, it isn't enough to overcome such a heavy list of problems.

Kakuchopurei - 50 / 100

There are shades and traces of a simple yet heartfelt action game buried underneath Marvel's Avengers' corporate-driven money-grubbing muck that clearly needed a few more months of QA and technical fixing. Until its updates and content elevates the base experience and assuming the Day One/Week One patch fixes a LOT of these game's grievances, you'll have to settle for Earth's Mediocre Heroes.

Metro GameCentral - 5 / 10

A jumbled mess that's trying to be at least three different types of game at once, drowning out the enjoyable combat with a tsunami of repetition and meaningless loot.

Niche Gamer - 5 / 10

There is some enjoyment to get out of Marvel’s Avengers. The single player campaign has some enjoyable sequences. Unfortunately, the constant barrage of cues to grind or buy in-game currency is extremely alienating and off-putting. At its highest highs, Avengers is generic.

RedTieGuy - 5 / 10

Video Review - Quote not available

USgamer - 2.5 / 5 stars

If Marvel's Avengers was just the single-player story campaign, it would be amazing. There, Crystal Dynamics sells you on its version of the Avengers and introduces the charming and endearing Ms. Marvel to players everywhere. Combat has depth to it, and each hero truly feels distinct. Unfortunately, the endgame is where our heroes falter, with broken matchmaking, rough options in terms of progression, and endlessly reused environments and enemies. Surely, Marvel's Avengers will see improvements, but here at launch, the endgame needs a good deal of work.

EGM - 4 / 10

Marvel's Avengers squanders the potential of what might have been a fun superhero romp by grafting on an annoying, overly repetitive games-as-a-service component. Playing as the cast of heroes offers decent thrills, and the campaign tells an enjoyable enough story, but odds are good you'll get bored long before you grind your way to the top.

Slant Magazine - 2 / 5 stars

Everything truly good in Marvel's Avengers is compromised by its mercenary feature set.

The Digital Fix - 4 / 10

If Thanos snapped Marvel's Avengers out of existence, no one would travel through time to get it back.

GameSkinny - 3 / 10 stars

Marvel's Avengers is the most broken gaming experience in 2020, and even if it was polished, it would be severely flawed.

Stevivor - 3 / 10

I’m about done. Avengers would have been a great story-driven title but its Games as a Service elements completely destroy it. Steer well clear, at least until Achievements and progression are fixed. To date, Square and Crystal Dynamics haven’t even bothered to officially acknowledge the issues the game is facing. For shame.

ACG - Unscored

"Avengers is fun for a bit but than just gets lost in weird level design, boring gameplay, spotty performance, and lack of true character."

Chicas Gamers - Spanish - Unscored

Marvel's Avengers is a game more focused on the future console generation than the present ones and so we can see on the PC version, however, those of us who will play it on current generations can still enjoy it to its fullest. Likewise, developers wanted to cover so much that in the end they failed keep it together. There are still some mechanics that are quite poor and too much content for some newbie players.

Console Creatures - Recommended

Marvel's Avengers includes a compelling campaign that is mismatched with a bare bones live service which includes a boring loot system, tons of repetitive missions and glitches.

Entertainium - Unscored

Marvel's Avengers is an average character action game with a fun single player campaign. Unfortunately it’s saddled with a tiring, formulaic and repetitive mission-based multiplayer that hinges on gear score progression and feels tired and wholly unnecessary.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation / Blank

A likeable campaign can't make up for unexciting design.

GameByte - Unscored

From what we’ve played of the game it seems like something that fans of the heroes will love, even if it’s just the story mode that you play. The multiplayer elements won’t be for everyone but there’s plenty there to keep coming back to.

Kotaku - Unscored

Marvel’s Avengers isn’t the best comic book game out there, but it’s certainly the best team-based comic book game I’ve played. It’s not simply that it gathers iconic heroes together and lets me become them, but that each one of them is equally enjoyable.

Polygon - Unscored

OK multiplayer stitched onto a great campaign

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

PlayStation, playing on Brutal and as the Hulk the heavy attacks can be a pain to use it seems like because the enemies get in hits faster. The shielded enemies can be rough.

@JPDunks4 beat it on brutal. I use The Hulks Elbow drop and his rage thing to armor him up. I focused his build on strength and Defense. 

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
  Hide contents

Having a hard time on the Abomination fight!

Oh I got my ass kicked a lot there initially.

The real game plays quite a bit harder than the demo did.

I enjoyed the challenge though.  As long as I could stun an enemy and perform takedowns I was just fine handling fights.  My main issues came from the Elite Squads with the extra over shield that prevented staggering.  Those guys messed me up a lot.

Also this game doesn't claims to let you change difficulty on the fly but I'm not sure it works.  I could only choose Brutal Difficulty all campaign missions.

I'm only a few hours into the campaign, but I'm really enjoying it. It looks good, is running well on my PC, and the campaign feels very solid. The main character is a really great addition, and her enthusiasm is just so contagious.

From what I've seen of the end-game multiplayer, I'm not impressed. From what I've played so far, I don't get the impression this will lend itself well to a long term Destiny style time sink for me. Still, I think I'll get my money's worth on the single player, and the multi will be gravy.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I'm only a few hours into the campaign, but I'm really enjoying it. It looks good, is running well on my PC, and the campaign feels very solid. The main character is a really great addition, and her enthusiasm is just so contagious.

From what I've seen of the end-game multiplayer, I'm not impressed. From what I've played so far, I don't get the impression this will lend itself well to a long term Destiny style time sink for me. Still, I think I'll get my money's worth on the single player, and the multi will be gravy.

To be clear, there really ISN'T any endgame content in the game right now. There's plenty of POST game content and as a player who played Destiny for years, I can say there is plenty to keep you busy post game if only to level up your characters and concentrate on builds. Oh and I've been playing mostly solo. Character progression is so well done that people will spend weeks just leveling up and building each character.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

To be clear, there really ISN'T any endgame content in the game right now. There's plenty of POST game content and as a player who played Destiny for years, I can say there is plenty to keep you busy post game if only to level up your characters and concentrate on builds. Oh and I've been playing mostly solo. Character progression is so well done that people will spend weeks just leveling up and building each character.

How do you do the weekly challenge?