Outriders (People Can Fly co-op RPG shooter) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Pikachu changed the title to Outriders (People Can Fly co-op RPG shooter) (02 February 2021) - Information Thread
  • 4 months later...

Servers seem to be working, took a good 2 hours though.

Played about 30 minutes, story seems ok. Game is Gears of War with random weapon drops, and that's a good thing!

Can't wait to dig into it more tonight. Haven't had a chance to get to the classes yet

Played the demo for a bit tonight and found the shooting mechanics quite enjoyable.  It's like Gears, but the shooting feels as if it has a bit of a twitch element which is great for players like myself who like to run in guns blazing sometimes.  Art direction really didn't do anything for me as it felt fairly generic, but I'm curious to play more.  

56 minutes ago, vaxick said:

Played the demo for a bit tonight and found the shooting mechanics quite enjoyable.  It's like Gears, but the shooting feels as if it has a bit of a twitch element which is great for players like myself who like to run in guns blazing sometimes.  Art direction really didn't do anything for me as it felt fairly generic, but I'm curious to play more.  

The shooting is pretty much straight from Bulletstorm, their other game.

Core mechanics seem fairly solid, if nothing amazing. Not a fan of cover shooting as I think it's a mechanic built around inaction rather than action, but the abilities help negate that somewhat.

That said, game's kind of rough around some edges. So far nothing gameplay-wise is rough, which is great. But... Like why are the cutscenes locked to 30? Going from 120 FPS to 30 FPS (and cutscenes have shaky cam + extreme motion blur) is extremely jarring and weird, made almost nauseating at certain moments when the shaky cam and motion blur combine to make it feel like you just got a concussion while on a rollercoaster.

Why do all the cutscenes fade out? And they fade out too early, so characters will be mid-word and the audio and visuals will already be at half volume and it feels very amateur in that regard.

I know people were comparing it to Mass Effect and stuff, but so far my impression has been Gears of Anthem, but a more finished product than Anthem? For me it's going to depend on how much the combat allows me to play it like a video game rather than a... cover shooter. If I can really get in there and fuck shit up without playing hide-and-seek/pop-goes-the-weasel then I think we're in business for at least some decent playtime. But frankly it just makes me miss the badass combat of Anthem. For all the shit Anthem got terribly, terribly wrong (if it even attempted at all) it nailed the combat.

I'm not sure how I feel about being locked in to a class you've never played. I get you can just skip the prologue and make another character, but I would've loved a little test area where I got to use my full arsenal for each class for a while. Do you get new abilities? Can you swap them? I always get way more playtime out of any game where I'm not locked into a small set of abilities.

Also, did we play the same Bulletstorm? I haven't played it in years, but I recall really enjoying it and the idea of being a Gears knockoff seems bizarre, since it's a first-person shooter where you air-juggle enemies. Which is like... not Gears at all?

I just want one of these looter shooters to have a dedicated healer role. Hell, I want ANY online game to have a dedicated healer role at this point. Even MMOs have healers doing damage now. That's one aspect I really miss about Global Agenda. For as weird as that game was, being a healer in a shooter was fucking cool. Chucking healing grenades, using my big healy beams. I guess there's Overwatch but I want character progression! I find keeping people alive way more tactical and satisfying than shooting shit! I shoot shit all the time! Let me shoot LOVE at my buddies!

22 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I just want one of these looter shooters to have a dedicated healer role. Hell, I want ANY online game to have a dedicated healer role at this point. Even MMOs have healers doing damage now. That's one aspect I really miss about Global Agenda. For as weird as that game was, being a healer in a shooter was fucking cool. Chucking healing grenades, using my big healy beams. I guess there's Overwatch but I want character progression! I find keeping people alive way more tactical and satisfying than shooting shit! I shoot shit all the time! Let me shoot LOVE at my buddies!

I always thought Division did this rather well (for a looter shooter). You could spec and be an amazing healer, and if you did you would do absolute trash damage with a weapon compared to your team. You could lay down AOE healing that could out heal enemy damage even in harder difficulty settings.