Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Information Thread

Coming in 2019, FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered marks the 20th Anniversary of its original release with a new visual refresh and brings the game’s beloved story to modern platforms: Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. With overhauled visuals, see your favorite characters come to life like never before!

17 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I just really don't think the battle system has help up well. I first played it in the mid-2000s and while I enjoyed the characters and story, the grinding got to be a drag.

It's probably the least grind-y game in the series though if you just wanna experience the story. 

It has a level scaling system that allows you to finish the game at pretty low levels. Plus, the GF system, though I love it, is essentially broken, and with a little focused grinding you can become overpowered very quickly. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

It's probably the least grind-y game in the series though if you just wanna experience the story. 

It has a level scaling system that allows you to finish the game at pretty low levels. Plus, the GF system, though I love it, is essentially broken, and with a little focused grinding you can become overpowered very quickly. 

Draw grinding was awful, so I'm gonna have to disagree. It's been over a decade since I played it. I beat it back then, but I don't remember a ton, other than not caring for the battle system but liking most everything else. It's one of those that while I liked it decently, playing through it once was enough for me.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Draw grinding was awful, so I'm gonna have to disagree. It's been over a decade since I played it. I beat it back then, but I don't remember a ton, other than not caring for the battle system but liking most everything else. It's one of those that while I liked it decently, playing through it once was enough for me.

But you don’t have to draw grind is what I’m saying. If you wanna become OP’d, you can use that system to do so pretty easily. 

I cant remember the exact details but I think you can beat Ultemacia at like level 5 or something lol. 

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

But you don’t have to draw grind is what I’m saying. If you wanna become OP’d, you can use that system to do so pretty easily. 

I cant remember the exact details but I think you can beat Ultemacia at like level 5 or something lol. 

Doom train breaks like 99% of the game. Works on most bosses i think. I just remember summoning Doom Train and basically making sandwiches for most enemies 

22 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

That's not how I recall it. Like I said, it's been over a decade. My husband had played it when it was new and loved it and even he said the gameplay hadn't aged well at all when we did our playthrough together.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That's not how I recall it. Like I said, it's been over a decade. My husband had played it when it was new and loved it and even he said the gameplay hadn't aged well at all when we did our playthrough together.

Yeah if you aren't aware of those systems it can certainly be a grind. But if you are actually interested in replaying it, just know that it literally is the least grindy in the series. I'm sure they'll have the systems in place where you can just click a button and suddenly be invincible or whatever as well, like they do with 7 and 9. 

I'm really excited for it. The music alone gets me hyped. 

15 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Yeah if you aren't aware of those systems it can certainly be a grind. But if you are actually interested in replaying it, just know that it literally is the least grindy in the series. I'm sure they'll have the systems in place where you can just click a button and suddenly be invincible or whatever as well, like they do with 7 and 9. 

I'm really excited for it. The music alone gets me hyped. 

The rerelease already has a booster to give 100 of a list of spells and another for 100 each acquired spell.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/39150/FINAL_FANTASY_VIII/

With those boosters the game should be quick to finish, the most tedious thing left would probably be manipulating the rules of the card game so that you can reliably win.

I didn't bother with the rerelease but if the remaster has the same booster's it might be worth another playthrough.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

13 and 15 are absolutely far worst games than 8, if thats what you're talking about. 

I haven't played enough of FFXV to get enough of a feeling for it. I stopped playing after they said story DLC would come out after the game released. Just been waiting for the right time to jump back in. 

I also feel FFXIII isn't a great final fantasy game, but I also don't think its as horrible as people claim it to be. I enjoyed what I played of it. 

FFXIII-2 is definitely worse than 8 and so is FFX-2, but I don't consider those main titles. 

17 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I haven't played enough of FFXV to get enough of a feeling for it. I stopped playing after they said story DLC would come out after the game released. Just been waiting for the right time to jump back in. 

I also feel FFXIII isn't a great final fantasy game, but I also don't think its as horrible as people claim it to be. I enjoyed what I played of it. 

FFXIII-2 is definitely worse than 8 and so is FFX-2, but I don't consider those main titles. 

I think XIII is by far the worst of the series. 

39 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

I don't think it ever opens up right?  I remember there was just a section that was "open" but it was meant only to grind enemies for mats to get the best gear in the game

It was open in the way OoT’s overworld was.  You could choose a few different locations attached to the hub to explore.  Except there was only like 3 or 4 places to go to.  And were also sort of linear side trails themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually played this at Pax West.

Honestly the 4:3 didn't bother me that much and I honestly didn't even notice it until I read those steam reviews.

The quality between character models and background textures is hilarious. They put pretty much 0 time in making background textures at least half decent. It extremely jarring

32 minutes ago, prevail said:

This kind of sucks for me because I already purchased this game on Steam years ago. I have the version that isn't remastered. They should make the older versions on Steam remastered for free, kind of like how Skyrim was remastered for free to owners of regular Skyrim.

They put in work to remaster the game. They deserve to be paid for that work. If the remastered parts don’t seem worth it, wait for an inevitable sale. 

I get frustrated when companies resell the same versions of games on a new system without any discount if you’ve purchased it on an earlier system. I’m happy to pay a few bucks for the port or the emulation, but if you’re charging full price I think it’s shitty. 

But a remaster is different. 

47 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

If the remastered parts don’t seem worth it, wait for an inevitable sale.

It's not.  The technology now exists to AI upscale original the backgrounds to a much richer fidelity.  PC mods of FFVII and IX have done some miraculous work.

So as much as I appreciate Square Enix updating the character models, it's still a half-assed port.  I won't consider touching it until the fans fix it.

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

They put in work to remaster the game. 

But a remaster is different. 

Remasters are mostly a compatibly update so that they can get it to run on new systems (like ps4) and they clean up the graphics a bit so they look better at higher resolutions but it feels like they didn’t even do the bare minimum to call it a remaster. 

It could have been a free upgrade like he suggests or at the very least a discount for those that own it like the Dark Souls remaster.

but overall it sounds like there is very little reason to upgrade if you have the previous version on steam.