Nintendo E3 Sale

Spork3245

5 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

How much would you consider “fair” for Tropical Freeze?

I would pay $20 for it. Fair is a weird word because it’s so personal and subjective. 

But it’s a 5+ year old game. Spider-Man is $20 and it came out less than a year ago. 

I think Nintendo is absurd with their pricing models. I think they probably ignore objective information that guides your ideal pricing models likely due to some stubborn traditional old-school thinking.

22 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

@Paperclyp

Yeah, prices on stuff is always subjective, I think. What’s expensive to one person may be no big deal to another.

Is Spider-Man as good of a game as Tropical Freeze? Both are with $20? Regardless of what year they are released? 

Honestly asking, I haven’t played either game yet.

I haven’t played either, uhhh, either. 

Generally speaking though, games go down in price as time passes. Nowadays it’s not unusual to see games as old as tropical freeze routinely under $20. Certainly under $40 at a baseline price, let alone a sale. And that’s regardless of game quality. 

Games aren’t really priced according to how good they are. 

8 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Games aren’t really priced according to how good they are. 

You’re not wrong, just wondering about “bang for buck” ratio. Though it should be noted some games that aren’t good go down in price faster. Mostly because they don’t sell. Which I don’t think is an issue for Tropical Freeze, or, I assume, Spider-Man.

19 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

You’re not wrong, just wondering about “bang for buck” ratio. Though it should be noted some games that aren’t good go down in price faster. Mostly because they don’t sell. Which I don’t think is an issue for Tropical Freeze, or, I assume, Spider-Man.

Well, Spider-Man is more of an open world game with plenty to do, so it's arguably more bang for your buck. But that's not what determines price. 

I've played and enjoyed both games, btw. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

@Paperclyp

Yeah, prices on stuff is always subjective, I think. What’s expensive to one person may be no big deal to another.

Is Spider-Man as good of a game as Tropical Freeze? Both are with $20? Regardless of what year they are released? 

Honestly asking, I haven’t played either game yet.

Spider-Man is a bunch of games you've already played but with Spider-Man in it.

Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers ever made, and is a complete audio/visual/aesthetic triumph.  If I didn't still have it on Wii-U, I would buy it again for $60 on Switch without batting an eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Bad games drop in price very fast. Good games also drop in price, not as fast but they should come down to a reasonable level after a year, especially if it's just a port of a 5 year old game. God of War came out last year (a month before Tropical Freeze) and is $19.99

You guys are comparing Spiderman and donkey Kong when there's a better comparison - doom 2016 is $20 on PSN right now, and $40 on the eshop. What justifies Nintendo charging twice as much? That they didn't get a port until more recently? That the game runs worse and at a lower resolution than on ps4? 

This stuff has never made sense. They've gotten so much better with their sales since the switch launched, but they have to understand their prices are dumb. I would have taken doom for another rip and tear if it were $20 just for the portability novelty. At $40? No. 

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Bad games drop in price very fast. Good games also drop in price, not as fast but they should come down to a reasonable level after a year, especially if it's just a port of a 5 year old game. God of War came out last year (a month before Tropical Freeze) and is $19.99

Holy crap for real?!? ....why would anyone ever pay full price for any of Sony's games? A little bit of patience can save someone a bunch of cash, it seems. 

8 hours ago, mo1518 said:

What justifies Nintendo charging twice as much?

For DOOM, is it really Sony or Nintendo that sets the price for that game on their respective platforms? Or is it the publisher's call on that? I assumed it was up to the publisher, but I'm realizing I know less and less about modern video games lately. 

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Because they make some awesome games and a lot of people don't want to wait months or a year to save a few bucks?

Ha ha, fair enough! Yeah, gotta admit...sometimes there is just something "special" about playing the new hotness when it first comes out, and the hype level is through the roof. Especially so if it's a game your friends are also playing either at the same time, or with you. 

Still though! Think of the savings! The savings! :daydream:

Just now, GameDadGrant said:

Ha ha, fair enough! Yeah, gotta admit...sometimes there is just something "special" about playing the new hotness when it first comes out, and the hype level is through the roof. Especially so if it's a game your friends are also playing either at the same time, or with you. 

Still though! Think of the savings! The savings! :daydream:

It's all about priorities. There are many games I most certainly wait for a price drop on. But something that I really love, that I've been excited for years about, I'm not going to wait a year or more to play it so I can save a few bucks.

That'd be a miserable way to be a gamer.

25 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Holy crap for real?!? ....why would anyone ever pay full price for any of Sony's games? A little bit of patience can save someone a bunch of cash, it seems. 

So, you never buy any game at/near release and wait for a price-drop/sale on all games? JFC.

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

So, you never buy any game at/near release and wait for a price-drop/sale on all games? JFC.

I generally only buy 1 or 2 games at release per year, generally instead buying the base game + DLC for $10-$20 the following year. I also take quite a bit of time going through games as I tend to play most games in about 30 minute sessions.