The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

30 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Kid clearly had his hands up.

At the end of the full video, which also shows another angle, you can see the gun is further down the way behind the fence. He threw the gun away and put his hands up as instructed. 

The story makes me feel bad all around. A 13-year-old not at home, with a gun, who gets killed after following orders. Everything makes me feel bad. =(

24 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

At the end of the full video, which also shows another angle, you can see the gun is further down the way behind the fence. He threw the gun away and put his hands up as instructed. 

The story makes me feel bad all around. A 13-year-old not at home, with a gun, who gets killed after following orders. Everything makes me feel bad. =(

Don't rule out that the video may have been edited by police to show a "gun". Chicago PD may have done so in the recent past!

mt3poz5dbjwlbsb2dymm.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

With riots raging in Ferguson, MO following the shooting death by police of an unarmed African-American youth, the nation has turned its eyes toward social injustice and the continuing crisis of race relations. Here are The Onion’s tips for being an unarmed black teen in America:

From 2014 but The Onion has been on point for some time.

15 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:
210122112503-01-marjorie-taylor-greene-f
WWW.CNN.COM

Conservative Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene is launching a new "America First" caucus, her office confirmed Friday, bringing together a group of far-right lawmakers known for their...

Was there anyone who could nazi this coming?

• Shocked 1
4000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Los Angeles officials have announced an effort to return the valuable Manhattan Beach property to the descendants of Willa and Charles Bruce

What they did to this family's land and history is what Trump tried to do to Obama's legacy. That's what it was all about, same thing. 

11 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:
210122112503-01-marjorie-taylor-greene-f
WWW.CNN.COM

Conservative Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene is launching a new "America First" caucus, her office confirmed Friday, bringing together a group of far-right lawmakers known for their...

Anglo-Saxon political tradition?  We going back to a monarchy now? 

11 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:
210323-ayurvedic-medicine-appropriation-
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

After a year of online yoga favoring white influencers, Desis in the industry are confronting the new landscape and reclaiming an appropriated practice.

Google favors white yogis

There's a lot about that I don't like. A lot of what people label as cultural appropriation can eventually morph into "only Mexicans can own restaurants that sell burritos." I do find the idea that youtube's algorithm favors white women problematic, though, and totally sHoCkEd that youtube's algorithm does that and they either don't know about it, don't care, or lie about it.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

There's a lot about that I don't like. A lot of what people label as cultural appropriation can eventually morph into "only Mexicans can own restaurants that sell burritos." I do find the idea that youtube's algorithm favors white women problematic, though, and totally sHoCkEd that youtube's algorithm does that and they either don't know about it, don't care, or lie about it.

YouTube and a lot of tech, in general, has a sort of white as default. This story of here makes perfect sense one you realize white yoga instructors are treated as the default for when people search for yoga, but if you want a yoga instructor that isn't white you need to search for like Desi yoga. They'd need to have a breakthrough outside the algorithms otherwise and even then it's not guaranteed they won't be as highly recommended as their white counterparts assuming equal production values.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

How about some actual slavery for a change of pace?

image?q=85&c=sc&poi=%5B975%2C484%5D&w=15
PEOPLE.COM

A Black man who was enslaved by his white boss from 2009 to 2014 has been awarded $546,000 in restitution for unpaid wages

Monster in human skin took advantage of a mentally disabled man and forced him to work for free while beating him whenever the guy didn't work fast enough. Now we know what the punishment for slavery is in the US today, 10 years in prison and $500k in back wages. That... doesn't seem like nearly enough.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Who are they getting that money from?

Supposedly the business owner. In other words, nobody. It'll never happen. This is one of those cases where if the guy can't pay, the state should foot the bill and then garnish his wages to recoup the costs from now until the day he dies.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

500k is not enough

28 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Supposedly the business owner. In other words, nobody. It'll never happen. This is one of those cases where if the guy can't pay, the state should foot the bill and then garnish his wages to recoup the costs from now until the day he dies.

yeah, because otherwise if they set the amount too high then he can be ruled “judgement proof” and not have to pay anything and the abused party gets nothing.