The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

Turns out the police were called BECAUSE Jacob Blake was there, and the officers on scene knew about his outstanding warrant for violent crimes which is why they attempted to arrest him. The “he was just there to help!” story is total nonsense.

Benjamin Crump is a lying grifter too

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Turns out the police were called BECAUSE Jacob Blake was there, and the officers on scene knew about his outstanding warrant for violent crimes which is why they attempted to arrest him. The “he was just there to help!” story is total nonsense.

Benjamin Crump is a lying grifter too

This definitely changes some of the calculus...but it doesn't justify firing handfuls of rounds into his back while he's getting in his vehicle (with kids inside!).

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This definitely changes some of the calculus...but it doesn't justify firing handfuls of rounds into his back while he's getting in his vehicle (with kids inside!).

I agree, these are somewhat separate issues IMO. But I think the fact that

1.) Blake was the subject of the 911 call

2.) The officers knew he was wanted for violent crimes

3.) Blake fought off three officers when they attempted to arrest him

4.) Blake then attempted to either flee or get a weapon from his vehicle

all inform the state of mind of the officers at the moment of the shooting. I think you’d have a very difficult time getting a conviction.

I don’t think the man should have been shot anyhow

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The bar by which officers in the US can kill people is so low...the only justification they need is "I felt that there was a possibility that maybe they were going to try and find or get a weapon somewhere." 

Judge: Good reason! *slams gavel*

It’s simpler, they only have to have a fear of their safety that is reasonable. That being said, it is unreasonable in this scenario to believe a known violent criminal who just fought off multiple officers to avoid arrest who is now reaching into his car is about to produce a weapon, in America?

Not really. But I don’t know why police shouldn’t be required to make an effort to get to a defensible position as opposed to just being able to unload on a guy.

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That being said, it is unreasonable in this scenario to believe a known violent criminal who just fought off multiple officers to avoid arrest who is now reaching into his car is about to produce a weapon, in America?

Not really. But I don’t know why police shouldn’t be required to make an effort to get to a defensible position as opposed to just being able to unload on a guy.

Or to, you know, actually see the weapon first. 

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s simpler, they only have to have a fear of their safety that is reasonable. That being said, it is unreasonable in this scenario to believe a known violent criminal who just fought off multiple officers to avoid arrest who is now reaching into his car is about to produce a weapon, in America?

There are more guns in America than there are humans and something like 30% of adults own guns. Might as well plug everyone just to be safe. 

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

There are more guns in America than there are humans and something like 30% of adults own guns. Might as well plug everyone just to be safe. 

Cops are already on it

2 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Well, they can afford it up 3-1 against the Tragic.

TBH they can afford a couple and still be 15 point favorites in game 7

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Unless they take an L, this is kinda weird.

These were my initial thoughts as well. Of all the pro sports orgs, the NBA has been the most well-intentioned towards the recent civil discourse. But, I think if all other NBA teams follow suit then it might be more meaningful. Rumors are swirling about your guys sitting their game out today, too.

17 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I'm probably gonna hate the answer to his question, but if he's 17 years old, how did he have a gun?

Laws vary by state, but you do realize minors hunt with guns all the time? My parents bought me my first gun(that was exclusively mine) when I was 15.

I think the general rule is you can't buy a long rifle until the age of 18. Again, it varies by state.

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Laws vary by state, but you do realize minors hunt with guns all the time? My parents bought me my first gun(that was exclusively mine) when I was 15.

I think the general rule is you can't buy a long rifle until the age of 18. Again, it varies by state.

I know minors hunt. I guess I just assumed the rules / laws were different with a minor brandishing a gun in public.

Just now, osxmatt said:

I know minors hunt. I guess I just assumed the rules / laws were different with a minor brandishing a gun in public.

Wisconsin has open carry. Not sure if there's an age restriction on that, but it's not like police were checking IDs on these guys.

But, yeah, it's not a crazy notion that a minor would be able to simply possess a gun.