The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

9 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Is there nothing in this country Black people are seen equitably in? Seriously, is NOTHING free from unequal treatment?

Keeping blacks and other minorities out of white neighborhoods was literally legal when MY parents first tried to become home owners. There is no reason to think there is anything free of unequal treatment.

28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Also this! I remember this article from who knows back when because time is illusory

This reminds me of my cousin. He found a house in a very white neighborhood. He wouldn't be shown the house unless he was pre-approved. When he was, they showed him the house, but also jacked up the price $50k above market value. He really wanted the house in that neighborhood, so he brought the real estate agent a new pre-approval to cover the additional $50k. The sellers wound up deciding they'd go a different direction with the house. That's what they told him, at least. It's still on the market with no pending sale or anything. It's been more than a month now. Just tossing extra cash out the window to spite themselves over the scary brown man with the bad English.

• Guillotine 3

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

This reminds me of my cousin. He found a house in a very white neighborhood. He wouldn't be shown the house unless he was pre-approved. When he was, they showed him the house, but also jacked up the price $50k above market value. He really wanted the house in that neighborhood, so he brought the real estate agent a new pre-approval to cover the additional $50k. The sellers wound up deciding they'd go a different direction with the house. That's what they told him, at least. It's still on the market with no pending sale or anything. It's been more than a month now. Just tossing extra cash out the window to spite themselves over the scary brown man with the bad English.

Christ, they're not even going to be living in the neighborhood any more.

56 minutes ago, Jason said:

Christ, they're not even going to be living in the neighborhood any more.

They don’t want to fuck in the property values for their former neighbors. I know tons of generally well intentioned, super liberal people who have gotten pissed when POC move into the neighborhood because of this and who actively tried to “not leave the neighbors with a bad taste in their mouths” when they moved out. It’s gross. 

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

Is there nothing in this country Black people are seen equitably in? Seriously, is NOTHING free from unequal treatment?

Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents (NPR review)

Wilkerson's central thesis is that caste, while a global occurrence, achieves its most violent manifestation in the treatment of American Blacks, set at the lowest level in society through historical and contemporary oppression, marginalization and violence — all legally maintained through systems of law and order. "The English in North America developed the most rigid and exclusionist from of race ideology," Wilkerson writes, quoting the anthropologists Audrey and Brian Smedley.

Wilkerson's argument is based on an exploration of what she names the three resonant caste systems in history: the Indian caste system, the Nazi caste system and the American caste system — which the Nazis researched when creating their own. "There were no other models for miscegenation law that the Nazis could find in the world," Wilkerson writes, citing Yale legal historian James Q. Whitman as evidence: "'Their overwhelming interest was in the 'classic example,' the United States of America."

Wilkerson supports her analysis with an immense compendium of documented research that spans centuries. Through her detailed historical research, she unearths evidence that the violence toward Blacks that the American caste system espoused was too much even for the Nazis; they balked at replicating some of the more horrific acts of American racism toward Blacks. "[Herbert] Kier was just one of several Nazi researchers who thought American law went overboard," Wilkerson writes, while others, like Hans F. K. Günter, thought the American laws so outrageous as to be untrue.

I'm really curious what and when the Nazis were turned off. Cause uh, slavery, official second class status, business boycotts, forcible wealth transfer, ghettoization, sterilization, and human experimentation and more is a perfect circle of the Venn diagram of "horrible things the US did to black citizens" and "horrible things the Nazis did to Jewish and other ethnic and racial minorities"

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'm really curious what and when the Nazis were turned off. Cause uh, slavery, official second class status, business boycotts, forcible wealth transfer, ghettoization, sterilization, and human experimentation and more is a perfect circle of the Venn diagram of "horrible things the US did to black citizens" and "horrible things the Nazis did to Jewish and other ethnic and racial minorities"

The Nazis were softies—they urged the Japanese to ‘tone down the rape and murder stuff’ during the Rape of Nanking.

We give them a lot of shit for trying to exterminate the Jews and take over the world, but other than that they were quite reasonable—and, really, who *hasn’t* tried to exterminate the Jews?

BoTh SiDeS

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My guess is the idea of sundown towns and public lynchings. Why allow anyone to kill off your undesirables in public settings that need to be cleaned up when you can kill them out of the public eye with the utmost German efficiency.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

White militia member shot three people and killed one at the Kenosha protests shortly after being thanked by cops for being there.

Known but worth repeating ACAB & Fuck the police. They let the guy go when he was being chased down by protesters and pointed out to as being the shooter but the cops ignored him to go after protesters instead.

• Guillotine 2

1 minute ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

We just prefer that word not be used, even if the context is to illustrate the depravity of those who use it.  That's been this board's policy since its inception.

To be honest, I’d completely forgotten that this board has no-no words. It’s been a decade since the last time I logged into IGN.