The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

12 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Even without any details, Trump’s announcement on Thursday at the White House was enough to send markets tumbling.

Between 3:15 p.m., when news of the Friday press conference hit, and the 4 p.m. close of trading, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 300 points, giving up its positive gains for the day and ending down half a percent.

57 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Any insight into the legality of this. It is illegal to deploy the military in a policing action on American soil as far as I know. Is this drone a state government thing, or is there an assumption that deploying a drone is not the same as deploying troops? Or am I missing something?

Anyway, it really speaks to Trump's brutality and how far he would go as a dictator if he actually got that power that in the middle of a pandemic where 100,000 Americans have died he so casually cheers for more blood. I mean, I realize they are not directly tied together, and I am not an overly emotional person myself, but I think the natural reaction from most normal people in the midst of so much death and suffering would be to shy away from it and be less likely to want more. Not to call for people to be shot for stealing a tv.

8 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Any insight into the legality of this. It is illegal to deploy the military in a policing action on American soil as far as I know. Is this drone a state government thing, or is there an assumption that deploying a drone is not the same as deploying troops? Or am I missing something?

Anyway, it really speaks to Trump's brutality and how far he would go as a dictator if he actually got that power that in the middle of a pandemic where 100,000 Americans have died he so casually cheers for more blood. I mean, I realize they are not directly tied together, and I am not an overly emotional person myself, but I think the natural reaction from most normal people in the midst of so much death and suffering would be to shy away from it and be less likely to want more. Not to call for people to be shot for stealing a tv.

It's not a "military" Predator drone. 

It's a Customs and Border Patrol drone which means that there are no posse comitatus issues for its operation on US territory.

7 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

It's a Customs and Border Patrol drone which means that there are no posse comitatus issues for its operation on US territory.

As an M1 Abrams rolls through the streets of Detroit, Nov 2020: "This equipment is on temporary loan to the local police unit, as are the soldiers! Perfectly legal to deal with THUGS trying to illegally vote!"

Imagine if the US had police forces with the same internal discipline and rules of the US Army. Obviously the Army can't be used for internal policing (nor should it), but imagine if officers were held to a similar standard of action (not saying soldiers are perfect, by any means).

Also, from The Atlantic:

Trump Is The Looter - Frum

You’d think Donald Trump would have more sympathy for looters, being a looter himself. The president has helped himself to money from the U.S. Treasury, using political power to direct public money to his personal businesses. It’s not as visual as a riot, but until 2017 it would have been regarded as equally criminal.

But no, he seems to think they deserve the death penalty: “These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won’t let that happen,” he said on Twitter about the protesters in Minneapolis. “Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts.”

The Trump years have confronted all Americans with stark contrasts in the treatment of crime depending on the status of the criminal. The day before the police killing of Floyd, the president and his supporters were voicing passionate concerns for the alleged maltreatment of Michael Flynn by the justice system. Then a helpless man is choked to death on a public street in full public view and—well, he was no choirboy, the president’s supporters explain.

22 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

As an M1 Abrams rolls through the streets of Detroit, Nov 2020: "This equipment is on temporary loan to the local police unit, as are the soldiers! Perfectly legal to deal with THUGS trying to illegally vote!"

Right.

And I won't even bother asking whether there is legal recourse to challenge the idea that CBP needs drone reconnaissance of fucking Minnesota. I am sure whatever pretext they can cook up is valid.

My prediction: Two years in minimum-security minus time served pre-trial, and he will be released early. Total time in prison: 2 months.

And that's if they can get a conviction. These cases are notorious for ending with "while it's unfortunate the officer acted the way he did, his actions were reasonable given the fear for his own life." That's the blanket excuse that is allowed currently under US law for law enforcement.