The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-man-found-guilty-of-manslaughter-in-parking-lot-shooting-that-led-to-stand-your-ground-trial/ar-AAGeyht?ocid=AMZN

Michael Drejka, who fatally shot an unarmed man, Markeis McGlockton, last summer in Florida during a dispute over a handicapped-accessible parking spot, was found guilty of manslaughter Friday night.

The judge set the sentencing date for October 10. Drejka faces up to 30 years in prison.

Drejka, who didn't take the witness stand, tried unsuccessfully to use Florida's "stand your ground' law as a defense for justifiable homicide. The case renewed a nationwide debate on the controversial law.

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This is basically the norm at high achieving high schools anymore. My wife's high school had more valedictorians (>4.5 GPA) than my entire high school graduating class had classes.

If everyone is a valedictorian, then nobody is a valedictorian.

28 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If everyone is a valedictorian, then nobody is a valedictorian.

It was like a third of the class. There is zero way to distinguish hundreds of virtually identical "perfect" students from the same upper/upper middle class background to have only one. It isn't Highlander lol

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

HELL NO!

I am damned proud of the 5.6 GPA that I graduated high school with!

LOL at GPAs that use a 5.0 scale instead of 4.0 scale. My parents used to have friends who would brag about their kids getting a 5-point-whatever while conveniently omitting the part where their high school was on a 5.0 instead of a 4.0 scale.

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

LOL at GPAs that use a 5.0 scale instead of 4.0 scale. My parents used to have friends who would brag about their kids getting a 5-point-whatever while conveniently omitting the part where their high school was on a 5.0 instead of a 4.0 scale.

Our scale was:

AP classes - 6.0

Honors classes - 5.0

Regular classes - 4.0

17 minutes ago, Jose said:

AP and honors was the same in our school. I had a 3.2 and was basically treated like a druggie.

IIRC an A+ was a 4.3 and you got a one-increment (B to B+, B+ to A-, etc) boost for AP classes, making a 4.6 the best possible result you could have factored into your GPA. 

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Actually wait I think we had an honors bump too, with AP being a two-increment and an honor being a one-increment, with both stacking with the A+ bump, so maybe it was possible to get a 5.0 result from an AP class. 

This sounds like my school as well.

Dayton just loves to keep on shooting

A homeowner in Dayton, Ohio, shot two teen trespassers dead on Wednesday night.

The homeowner, who has not been named, called 911 to tell authorities he had shot two people in his garage.

He heard voices and noises coming from the garage when he walked outside, armed, to see what was going on, Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl said during a press conference on Thursday afternoon.

The man fired several shots from a .38-caliber revolver when he encountered three individuals in the garage. Two of them were hit by the gunfire and died.

A third person fled, but returned when he saw police and firefighters arrive at the home. He was arrested on a pending charge of breaking and entering.

The two teens shot and killed were identified as Javier Harrison and Devin Henderson, both 17.

“It’s deeply tragic that two 17-year-olds lost their lives in this incident,” Biehl said.

Biehl said “there was some drug activity occurring” at the time of the incident, but it’s unclear what the teens were trying to do.

Prosecutors will have to prove that the shooting was a criminal act and not an act of self-defense, Biehl said.

He said the police have not yet searched the car the teens were in and have not determined whether the teenagers were armed. The homeowner also claims he has been a prior victim of crime, which will be investigated.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-ohio-homeowner-shoots-dead-two-teen-trespassers-20190830-in3yitqg4fgtxa2xtfmsjapefq-story.html

16 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Maybe if they didn’t want to be shot, they shouldn’t break into people’s homes.

Maybe if you want to maintain your original bullshit persona on a video game website you shouldn't claim to own a Ferrari and/or a lumber yard?

• Haha 1

People shouldn’t break into other people’s homes.

People shouldn’t shoot people for breaking into their home.

Not mutually exclusive positions :p 

I mean, it's not unreasonable to shoot someone who breaks into your home. My first thought is to call 911, wait in my bedroom and if someone comes in there, they're getting blasted. 

I don't really expect to ever be in that scenario nor is it something I spend much time worrying about, but it's always a distant possibility and I'm not going to not defend myself if the situation occurs. 

2 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Maybe if they didn’t want to be shot, they shouldn’t break into people’s homes.

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, it's not unreasonable to shoot someone who breaks into your home. My first thought is to call 911, wait in my bedroom and if someone comes in there, they're getting blasted. 

I don't really expect to ever be in that scenario nor is it something I spend much time worrying about, but it's always a distant possibility and I'm not going to not defend myself if the situation occurs. 

The garage is detached though.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The garage is detached though.

Okay, but my response was more directed at sbl's blanket statement that you shouldn't ever shoot a person breaking into your home. Different situations call for different measures. If someone just broke into my garage, my first instinct wouldn't be to shoot them, but call 911. Not every situation is the same. 

But people probably just shouldn't be breaking into other peoples' homes.

3 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

You folks are braver than I am.

If someone broke into my place, I'd probably just scream and run around in circles.

Oh, fuck no. I'm not claiming to be some badass. I'd be terrified. If I were able, I'd crouch down in a corner of my bedroom with my pistol, call 911 and be shaking in terror. If they came through the bedroom door, I'd shoot. 

That's only in the "ideal" situation. 

I don't live my life in fear and I don't carry guns in public. I've never even bothered to get a concealed carry license. I just don't feel a need.