The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

9 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

"An 8-year-old girl was killed last night because her mother was riding down the street," Bottoms said.

Glad the Mayor called out the "movement." This occurs far more often than all the Karen and police brutality stuff in this thread, yet it gets 10% of fervor response. 

Yes, far more people die of normal shootings than police shootings, but that's not what this thread is about.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yes, far more people die of normal shootings than police shootings, but that's not what this thread is about.

This thread is called, Existing While Black. This is a major part of black existence. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, you aren't apart of that existence? Just a guy / gal on the sideline saying on which fire the hose should be pointed? 

28 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

This thread is called, Existing While Black. This is a major part of black existence. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, you aren't apart of that existence? Just a guy / gal on the sideline saying on which fire the hose should be pointed? 

The thread was mostly for lighthearted karen / people calling cops on random black people incidents and then kind of turned into wrongdoing against black people.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Commodore D said:

"An 8-year-old girl was killed last night because her mother was riding down the street," Bottoms said.

Glad the Mayor called out the "movement." This occurs far more often than all the Karen and police brutality stuff in this thread, yet it gets 10% of fervor response. 

That's because the unwarranted violent actions of "the State" are inherently worse and therefore should be met with greater outcry by external parties than internecine violence within the community itself.

Simply put, I don't feel that it's my place as a white man to draw specific attention to violence within the black community itself, not when there are FAR more than a few whites who do just that for nefarious purposes.

You're an African-American so you are absolutely well within your "rights" to draw as much attention to the internal violence within your community as you feel necessary.  The rest of us honkies just need to keep our mouths shut.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Commodore D said:

We’re all pro gun here. Got us. 

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Commodore D said:

If I came across as snarky, I apologize. The thread, when originally created, was used to show examples of non-black (typically state) sources of violence against black people, and the title was a facetious reference to the daily threats black people face from those sources. Perhaps the title should be changed, now.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate the replies.

I will say, I don't have a problem with outside communities saying clean your "stuff" up; as it is less destructive and far better than what happens, lets protect their feelings (lower the bar, don't call a spade a spade).

I am glad that the message in the link came from a person within the community, as the black community (more so USA) seems to always struggle with calling out there own (a result of the above). 

It's definitely good that a person within the community said it, and challenged the same community to focus on it, though that's not to say I endorse the "community X needs to always call out themselves for 'bad' behaviour" concept (see news media always asking Muslims to denounce ISIS, etc).

2 hours ago, Commodore D said:

Does it, though? I can’t speak for every city, but in Pittsburgh the black community is incredibly vocal/action-oriented in terms of inner-community violence. I feel like the people who say otherwise aren’t paying attention. 

8 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Does it, though? I can’t speak for every city, but in Pittsburgh the black community is incredibly vocal/action-oriented in terms of inner-community violence. I feel like the people who say otherwise aren’t paying attention. 

When was the last time you saw 1000s of people in the streets against inner - community violence? Yeah, you'll get a couple dozen people to come out for a candle light vigil, but that is about as far as it gets. 

Like my dad said to me this weekend, he'll get with BLM (especially since it just looks like the black community is being used again) when the same people show up to clean/ paint/ build up/ police the neighborhood. You can wait on others to take action, or you can start with yourself; one gives faster results. 

To me the difference between community responses is because the police and elected officials will act like they give a damn when the 8 yr old is shot, and they will investigate and if/when they find the civilian will prosecute. With police brutality the police and elected officials all too often act like it’s the cost of doing business. 

we wouldn’t see nearly as much taking to the streets if police were held half as accountable as they should be. 

1 hour ago, Commodore D said:

When was the last time you saw 1000s of people in the streets against inner - community violence? Yeah, you'll get a couple dozen people to come out for a candle light vigil, but that is about as far as it gets. 

Like my dad said to me this weekend, he'll get with BLM (especially since it just looks like the black community is being used again) when the same people show up to clean/ paint/ build up/ police the neighborhood. You can wait on others to take action, or you can start with yourself; one gives faster results. 

Who are people supposed to march against? Who are they supposed to demand change from? Gang violence has been on the decline for years, but until we get drug laws, poverty, and over-policing of minority neighborhoods under control there's not a lot that can be demanded from the less reputable members of society.

Look, I Iunderstand full well the changes that need to be made to reduce gang and other forms of inner city violence. I'm an inner-city born and raised minority. My first encounter with gang violence was a buddy of mine being stabbed on the playground when we were in sixth grade. The most severe was another buddy of mine getting killed in a drive-by outside a pizza place because he was dating the wrong girl. Hell, the triple decker apartment I lived in while I was in middle school was a literal crackhouse one floor down.

The police deserve the protests they're getting here. Everybody you and I know puts more and more of our tax dollars into funding their military LARPing adventures while taking money away from the very social services and education we need to improve things in the impoverished neighborhoods like the one I grew up in.

My current city only spends like 8% of their annual budget on police and fire while dropping some 50% on education. It's one of the reasons I moved here. My home town has started to do much better when they did the same. Now they're spending some 8% on police and fire and a whole crazy 70% on education. Also, shocker. Crime has gone down and we don't have a police killing people problem. Those are the kinds of demands people need to make for their towns and cities and the same ones police departments across the nation are trying to avoid.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah, but there were no black people involved. :p

We, to be fair there were very few black people in my hometown. My graduating class in high-school had a couple hundred people and we had one black kid.

28 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

We, to be fair there were very few black people in my hometown. My graduating class in high-school had a couple hundred people and we had one black kid.

Sounds like my school. I was the black kid :o

Actually I believe there was one or two other guys. :p

• Shocked 1

On 7/3/2020 at 10:46 PM, mclumber1 said:

The people who legally carry a gun are one of the most statistically the most law abiding group of people in America.  The people who illegally carry a gun are obviously not very law abiding.

Yeah I just don’t believe that. So white people that probably have cop friends and live in racist communities don’t get charged. Ok.  How is that shit measured?

54 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sounds like my school. I was the black kid :o

Actually I believe there was one or two other guys. :p

My highschool was less than 50% white with the rest being a mix of Latinx, Asian, and African American. I know most smaller cities' and towns' demographics aren't as wildly mixed, but I guess that's what happens when your home town is mostly made up of the Irish, black, Hispanic, and Vietnamese immigrants that came in as cheap labor after children were barred from working in the textile mills.

11 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Serious question:  Is the term "Latinx" used within Spanish speaking countries very much?  For a language that relies heavily gendered nouns, it seems weird - but I'm not a Spanish speaker or have much of a connection to those cultures. 

Absolutely not. At least not within any TV or Spanish media I've seen in recent years or with any native speakers that includes my entire family along with my in-laws.

I use it mostly when writing formally or in a business setting when communicating with mostly white people...which, well, I work in IT, so that's mostly every business setting I've experienced in my entire career. I also use it because Latins isn't a thing in my head. It should be Latinos. However, I've latched onto Latinx since it has fewer letters and it's clearer in intent...at least in my head.

13 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Serious question:  Is the term "Latinx" used within Spanish speaking countries very much?  For a language that relies heavily gendered nouns, it seems weird - but I'm not a Spanish speaker or have much of a connection to those cultures. 

I don't know anyone that uses it. I only see it used in English articles.

I do have a friend in CDMX who purposely likes to use the feminine version of a word instead of masculine by default, which I thought was pretty cool.

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

Isn’t latinx also supposed to be more inclusive for those who do not identify as male or female? Or maybe I just added that myself. 

It is but it's not something popular. Like I have spoken Spanish all my life I have no clue how to pronounce that. Aside from my aforementioned LGBTQ I mainly see it in articles.

1 minute ago, johnny said:

Isn’t latinx also supposed to be more inclusive for those who do not identify as male or female? Or maybe I just added that myself. 

Latino is normally the gender default to refer to all people of Latin-decent, particularly in the Caribbean, and Central and South America. It's also a masculine noun for Spanish speakers. Latina being the feminine version of the word, specifically referring to women, but not as a general catch-all term. Latinx was, I believe, started to catch those that didn't see themselves as masculine or feminine and be more inclusive.

Once that caught on, I saw no reason to not switch to it in formal writing since there's no need to not be more inclusive in my writing. It's also more specific in it's usuage as, I can imagine in written English, it has wor will become the common word for the group with Latino and Latina being used as more specific terms.

4 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It is but it's not something popular. Like I have spoken Spanish all my life I have no clue how to pronounce that. Aside from my aforementioned LGBTQ I mainly see it in articles.

It's not a Spanish word. It's a purely English concoction. It is however, pronounced as it's spelled, so at least the made up English word learned something good from Spanish. So, that would be latinex.