The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

Ving Rhames had police called on him for entering his own home.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/07/29/police-held-mission-impossible-actor-ving-rhames-at-gunpoint-for-entering-his-own-home/?utm_term=.f37250099725

“I get up, I open the door, and there’s a red dot pointed at my face from a 9-millimeter, and they say, ‘Put up your hands.’ Literally,” he said. “Now, I just walked and opened up the door.”

The police, he said, told him to open the door with one hand and exit the house. One officer kept a pistol trained on him as he walked outside, where Rhames found another officer, the captain of police and a police dog.

Suddenly, one of the officers recognized Rhames — not because he was an actor but because the two men’s high school-age sons played against each other in basketball. The situation de-escalated, but Rhames naturally wanted to know why they came to his house in the first place.

“He said to me, ‘A woman called 911 [and] said a large black man was breaking into the house. And so we came,’ ” Rhames told Cane.

That kind of reminds me of what happened to my dad years ago. He came by to fix some things on the house and he said he turned the corner and a cop said, "show me your hands, show me your hands" or something like that. I guess someone called the cops on him, thought he was breaking in. It was kind of odd since most of my neighbors know who he is.

25 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

How much of that accounts for cultural cooperation with the police? Not that the police have not fostered a breakdown in trust and cooperation with black and other minority communities. 

18 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

How much of that accounts for cultural cooperation with the police? Not that the police have not fostered a breakdown in trust and cooperation with black and other minority communities. 

My wife's aunt was beaten by a group of six people at a party. When the cops were called, they jumped in a car and drove over her, killing her. Multiple witnesses, all cooperating. After many months, they arrested only one of the girls involved. This was in spite of the driver of one of those cars leading the police on a chase and crashing into a house. Half a year later, the one girl was let go, and the driver of the car was never arrested. The guy driving the car was on Facebook threatening to kill anyone that spoke, on a public profile. None of it mattered. The police dropped it and left it as a case of self defense for the six on one. Even the guy that drove over her, lead the police on a chase, crashed into a house, and broke into a hotel to hide was never arrested.

So yeah... This is all anecdotal, but that's quite a lot happening for police to just up and throw out a case. I highly doubt the case would have been dropped if it weren't a murder involving a bunch of Hispanics at a party.

• Sad 1

Doesn't need its own thread but depressing nonetheless.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/26/17613844/racial-diversity-poll-twitter-white-people

It is striking for a couple of reasons. For one thing, the question is not about illegal immigrants, or even immigrants at all; it’s not about crime, or welfare, or jobs ... it’s just about racial diversity as such. And more Republicans are against it than for it! (So much for “economic anxiety.”)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/woman-tells-police-she-s-very-clean-thoroughbred-white-girl-n899066?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Cutshaw, 32, told the arresting officer she shouldn’t be jailed because she was a cheerleader, a dancer and a sorority girl who graduated from a “high accredited university.”

Taken to the police station in handcuffs, she described herself as a white “thoroughbred” and “went on to say ‘I’m a white, clean girl,’” the officer wrote in his report.

“I asked what that had to do with anything?” wrote the officer, who also is white.

She replied, “You’re a cop, you should know what that means,” and, “You’re a cop, you should know based on the people that come in this room.”

• 2 weeks later...