The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

On 7/18/2018 at 8:04 AM, 2user1cup said:

Not much you can do when 

Researchers everywhere are at the mercy of government, but it’s particularly challenging here. So far, country policymakers across sub-Saharan Africa have been reluctant to see the value of the work and agree to put more money toward science. Rotimi, who is now 61 and considers H3Africa a lifetime achievement, is well aware that politics could sabotage the whole effort. “Bad government,” he says, “is probably the number one risk factor for health in Africa.”

Someone called the cops thinking this man was robbing his own lemonade stand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/07/23/it-took-this-black-man-years-to-open-his-lemonade-stand-then-someone-thought-he-was-robbing-it/?utm_term=.3ac860f5a709

He had arrived at the stand before 7 a.m. the next day to start squeezing lemons, but spent those first few minutes leaning against the building, on the phone with the alarm company. At some point, he saw a police car “cruising up the block,” he said. “I started to pay more attention to my surroundings, looking for anything that I need to not be a part of.”

Then two officers got out.

“They’re walking toward me . . . and I’m still looking for this crime scene,” he said. “Did something happen behind me? It didn’t hit me until the officer was in front of me like a foot away. I said ‘hey, did I set off the alarm system? If I did, my apologies, because I’m on the phone with the security company now.’

“They said ‘No, someone called and said there was a break in here.’ ”