Watch Dogs: Legion (29 October 2020) - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Comparison

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

:lol:

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

:sick:

It's always good business when legit purchasers of a game have to hope for a cracked .exe file to appear so the game doesn't run like shit. I heard that Denuvo-free Avengers has like a 10-15% performance boost over the DRM game. :| 

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

So, rumors are that the oddball performance issues are directly related to it having 3 layers of DRM, including denuvo and VMProtect

Isn't it sad that we've arrived at a time where we have to wait to hear how the game runs pirated to know the veracity of such a claim? 

16 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Isn't it sad that we've arrived at a time where we have to wait to hear how the game runs pirated to know the veracity of such a claim? 

It seems likely: 

Denuvo-Logo-Feature-640x353.jpg
WWW.EXTREMETECH.COM

For years, there have been persistent rumors that solutions like Denuvo have a negative impact on overall PC game performance. Denuvo has strongly pushed back...

Just now, Rev said:

I can't believe how passionate people are about it being amazing on the Reddit. Maybe it's just a problem with the downvote system that makes the praise so disproportionate.

Tbh it does it does do some really amazing things check out this video:

There's some really cool depth there, however none of that matters to me if it runs like garbage.

• Thanks 1

Luckily I play enough switch and console still that I don’t hate 30fps enough that I can’t enjoy a game at it so I’m having some fun actually by just locking there. Despite how it runs, its a really impressive looking game a lot of the time and does some cool stuff.

So coming from the perspective of someone who has not played this game, the RT looks good but it really seems to veer into the overdone and unrealistic to the point of me not liking it. Every puddle and glass seems to give off this pristine reflection with little to no regard to light and the reflections can be seen at long distance and weird angles. The puddles looks like like cut and pasted glass surfaces and when someone walks "thru it" it looks like they are skating on it. I am not shitting on the devs for "unrealistic" puddles but prior to this  the lack of reflections masked the puddle when someone walks in it. It reminds of when an older movies gets a scan to 4k and now you can see the faults that were once hidden.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

So coming from the perspective of someone who has not played this game, the RT looks good but it really seems to veer into the overdone and unrealistic to the point of me not liking it. Every puddle and glass seems to give off this pristine reflection with little to no regard to light and the reflections can be seen at long distance and weird angles. The puddles looks like like cut and pasted glass surfaces and when someone walks "thru it" it looks like they are skating on it. I am not shitting on the devs for "unrealistic" puddles but prior to this  the lack of reflections masked the puddle when someone walks in it. It reminds of when an older movies gets a scan to 4k and now you can see the faults that were once hidden.

Like I've mentioned before you really have to incorporate ray traced lighting into the mix in order for things to get good

Spoiler

spacer.png

The reflections might be exaggerated, but they are absolutely not all pristine perfect mirrors. There's all kinds of different warped and rippled and diffuse reflections absolutely everywhere. I'm not saying they're all perfect or anything, lord knows they're not, but most of them are damn good and are infinitely better than the shit we've had since forever.

• Like 1

Interesting that DF's optimized settings bring the game's benchmark to 30fps+ @ 1440p on a 2060 Super, sans DLSS.  Meanwhile, the scenes shown in the Series X video allegedly show nighttime drops up to 1440p, hovering closer to 1512p on average.

It's certainly plausible the next-gen consoles can do the 2060 Super one better at native res.  Or they could be relying on reconstruction techniques found on the Pro/X1X (bumping some settings higher?).  Or maybe the PC port is weak all around.  

We'll find out soon enough.