Remnant: From the Ashes - Official Thread, update - Next Gen Upgrade trailer

Remnant: From the Ashes is a spooky co-op survival shooter from Perfect World and the makers of Darksiders 3, and it features some really cool looking monsters.

PC Gamer article: Remnant: From the Ashes gets a new story trailer, 'VIP' access for pre-orders

The devs are clearly going for a Souls feel, with giant, grotesque bosses that lay down big attacks for players to dodge. While Remnant can be played solo, Gunfire recommends playing co-op to "increase your chances of survival." Fair enough. In the trailer above, one enemy easily grabs a player with horrible hook hands and raises them like an animal to be slaughtered. Having friends to help is probably a good idea.

• 5 weeks later...

Remnant: From the Ashes is a secret-filled shooter with an unlikely inspiration: Terraria (PC Gamer)

That Makes Remnant: From the Ashes sort of a weird hybrid of loot-driven games like Destiny and Diablo, designed to be endlessly repeated, and more traditional, linear games. When the game generates a world for you, the layouts of the environments will be different, and there's no telling what quests will be available or what other quests they'll connect to. And because there's a layer of meta progression in Remnant, where you go back to your main hub before "rolling" a new world to explore, progress between related quests can end up carrying over between runs.

Remnant: From the Ashes takes Bloodborne’s chalice dungeons and makes them better (PCGamesN)

Remnant bills itself as a challenging game, and you’ll be punished for sloppiness. When you die you’ll respawn at the last checkpoint, as will all the enemies you’ve killed. Your reserve ammo and dragon hearts – a quick-healing item that’s basically a Dark Souls Estus flask – are replenished, but other consumables are not. These include bandages that cure the health-sapping ‘bleed’ status, and ammo boxes that can refresh your reserves if you run dry mid-dungeon. Most status effects also persist, so if you’ve run out of the appropriate healing item, you’ll have to sit and take it.

• 2 weeks later...

Played the tutorial and to the first check point. I’m really digging it so far. The gameplay is fantastic. Going up against my first non basic enemy i was switching between different guns and melee with ease. Dropped a healing aura. Dodging. It’s all really responsive. The different “perks” seems really cool. All in all i like it a lot. Can’t wait to get to some harder stuff with friends. 

56 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Played the tutorial and to the first check point. I’m really digging it so far. The gameplay is fantastic. Going up against my first non basic enemy i was switching between different guns and melee with ease. Dropped a healing aura. Dodging. It’s all really responsive. The different “perks” seems really cool. All in all i like it a lot. Can’t wait to get to some harder stuff with friends. 

Wasn't a huge fan of the class I picked, so I might start another character just to see if its like beginning gear I don't like or if I actually would like a different class.

I've also really enjoyed what I've played so far. It's like a weird mash-up of Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, Dark Souls and a few other titles in terms of gameplay. With the Dark Souls element coming through most clearly with the checkpoints resetting enemy spawns and refilling what is essentially your Estus Flask. Not sure if you lose anything on death, I've died twice to the first (what I assume is a) boss encounter so far, but didn't see any corpse or anything to pick items off of. Game's more difficult than I would've thought, definitely seems designed for co-op play.

You've got a decent amount of gear slots, all the armor you find visually changes your character (and it doesn't appear to be just little reskins, either, which I've noticed on a few games recently) so that's really good. You've got an advanced stats screen with all kinds of resistances and DPS numbers, good stuff. Feels like a proper RPG in that way.

Realized I could swap the mod on my shotgun to my pistol, which I use far more often, so I did that and can use it more frequently, which is nice. I'm very curious about the amount of locations we get to go to, as the first area you head out to for your first mission is under the "Earth" tab, so that could be interesting! I'm really digging the weird setting, and hope the story doesn't just vanish, as I like what they're going for. You can tell they didn't have a massive budget, especially when characters talk up close and you see their mouths snapping into the correct shape for each syllable, which I actually... kinda like? It's a look I haven't seen before, it's a little robotic, but is charming in its own weird way, but I could definitely see it bothering people if they continue to have those cutscenes.

I think the early access achievements are bugged, as simply accepting my class got me 6 achievements (3 for traits, 3 for leveling) and then getting my gear upgraded got me several more, so let's hope they get that fixed in the next couple of days. Doesn't bother me since I don't care about achievements, but I'm sure someone will flip out over it.

Moving and shooting feels good, everything is very responsive and the game runs very well, looks pretty decent, too! Well, aside from the first area having a giant tree as part of the skybox, a big compressed jpeg tree that stands completely at odds with everything else in the area being crystal clear, but I've yet to see anything else like that.

Color me pleasantly surprised so far!