Remnant: From the Ashes - Official Thread, update - Next Gen Upgrade trailer

The Worlds they created are pretty impressive too.  Ive found quite a few Locked doors and areas where its clear I'll need to find items or do something in order to access them.  

The sound effects and atmosphere as well are really well done.  Being in an enclosed close quarters area and just hearing big hulking footsteps nearby and trying to find where they are, and then hearing the screeches of the other smaller adds coming, just all well done and can be horrifying.  

I really do love the world variety I've been seeing so far. Just completely different areas, with corresponding differences in level design (which I think is procedurally generated outside of main story stuff??) like a jungle being a lot more open than a facility which is full of narrow corridors, so the areas FEEL different as well, and have enemies that take advantage of that. Like the fucking tunneling dog monsters in the jungle. You feel so exposed, especially solo. Can actually get a little frustrating if you keep falling for the same shit, but all in all I really, really like it.

I hope this game has a lot of content, because I keep wanting to play it in longer and longer sessions.

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I really do love the world variety I've been seeing so far. Just completely different areas, with corresponding differences in level design (which I think is procedurally generated outside of main story stuff??) like a jungle being a lot more open than a facility which is full of narrow corridors, so the areas FEEL different as well, and have enemies that take advantage of that. Like the fucking tunneling dog monsters in the jungle. You feel so exposed, especially solo. Can actually get a little frustrating if you keep falling for the same shit, but all in all I really, really like it.

I hope this game has a lot of content, because I keep wanting to play it in longer and longer sessions.

I think there are only 4 Worlds at launch, but after you complete the main campaign, the NG+ is essentially a completely new playthrough.

I finished the 2nd world, but joined up with ARZ to help him out, and literally all the dungeons were completely, and i mean completely different.  like 4/5 Different enemy types I never saw in my game, the gameplay was different due to the way they played as well, in terms of their combat style.  3 new bosses with new gear I never saw in my game.  I believe they said it'd take quite a while for people to see everything the game has to offer, but it is kind of tied to RNG of the world you roll when you reroll it.   

Spoiler

My world 2 dungeons were essentially like futuristic, alien type areas, with futuristic looking enemies and tight corridors.  The bosses were like that as well, and I ended up getting a Beam Rifle as a reward for one of the dungeons.  The final boss of world 2 I got a Particle Accelerator from.  A gun that shoots beams, and its mod is it shoots a black hole that sucks up enemies then explodes.  So it kind of felt like the entire theme was a futuristic alien invasion with the guns to match.

When I joined ARZ's world, his dungeons in world 2 were like historic cave dweller type setting with primitives shooting as us with rifles, so they'd be behind cover taking shots, the gameplay felt totally unique as it turned a bit more into a cover shooter.  

17 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I am trait level 137...I believe I have a problem, which works because I also have a four day weekend! :sun:

Have u been joining frineds or randoms games? I know you can get all their extra tombs to get higher trait level.

Have you beat the main storyline playthrough already?

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Have u been joining frineds or randoms games? I know you can get all their extra tombs to get higher trait level.

Have you beat the main storyline playthrough already?

I think I'm only half way through my campaign. I've been placing a LOT of public games. I think I've experienced the whole story non-sequentially over a 100 pick up games! :lol:

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Curiously I got to 6 then never found another simulacrum in the last 10 hours of game play. I wonder if i’m Limited by my own campaign progress?

Nah, if you are in a persons world and they grab them you should also get one.  There is just only 1 per World I think, so might just be bad luck getting into games with them.

Or at least that'd be my guess

11 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Nah, if you are in a persons world and they grab them you should also get one.  There is just only 1 per World I think, so might just be bad luck getting into games with them.

Or at least that'd be my guess

I hope so! From what i’ve Read, it’s a rare drop, but I didn’t know it was limited to one per world. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I hope so! From what i’ve Read, it’s a rare drop, but I didn’t know it was limited to one per world. 

I don't know that for sure, but from my experience it seems like its 1 per world.  Might not be though, I didn't find one in my 2nd World.  But I found 1 in my 1st/3rd/4th.  Also some in ARZ and Skillz's worlds.

39 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I don't know that for sure, but from my experience it seems like its 1 per world.  Might not be though, I didn't find one in my 2nd World.  But I found 1 in my 1st/3rd/4th.  Also some in ARZ and Skillz's worlds.

I’ll let you know if I find a pattern!

Beat the main playthrough last night.

Starting up on hard today.

Main boss was interesting.  I'm not sure if I did it right, but it was kind of a boring and simple fight.  I have a feeling there was a different way to go about it, but my way worked, just took awhile.

20 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Beat the main playthrough last night.

Starting up on hard today.

Main boss was interesting.  I'm not sure if I did it right, but it was kind of a boring and simple fight.  I have a feeling there was a different way to go about it, but my way worked, just took awhile.

Well if it took a while, I have a hunch you did it... well, maybe not the wrong way, but definitely not the intended way.

Spoiler

When you get sent through to the hell zone or whatever, I'm sure you figured out you get a stacking buff from each enemy you kill, otherwise you would've never killed the boss. This stacks up to 25 times, but getting it to 25 means wiping out the entire first wave of enemies.

You don't need 25 stacks, but basically after you leave via the portal, you're entering a DPS check. You need to pump as much damage into the boss as possible to force him to open his chest cavity and reveal his human body. I was slappin' that dude for 60k+ per shot on my assault rifle-ish weapon. I only opened the cavity twice and that was more than enough to kill him. Basically if you don't get enough stacks or aren't really built for DPS (it took me a while to work it out since I'm built for staying alive over pure damage) then it's a lot trickier, but still doable no matter what if you get full stacks.

Also running underneath/behind the boss is a great way to avoid those annoying ass orbs, so you leave the portal, dash under him, and just unleash hell.

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Well if it took a while, I have a hunch you did it... well, maybe not the wrong way, but definitely not the intended way.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah I sorta figured out the mechanics as I went but went with a slow but steady approach. 

Started up another playthrough and luckily had 2 new areas in world one for some drops. 

Just beat the main campaign with @JPDunks4 and @ARZ definitely tougher in a group. Enjoyed this game overall despite some annoying polish issues... they really need to fix the revive mechanic because it doesn't always activate. Looking forward to trying other builds and playing content that I didn't see in my play-through... I pretty much played with the same build from the start of the game. These guys did a great job with this game and I'm definitely going to support them.

Critical consensus is pretty much right where I expected it to be!

Game Information

Game Title: Remnant: From the Ashes

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Aug 19, 2019)
  • Xbox One (Aug 19, 2019)
  • PC (Aug 19, 2019)

Trailer:

Publisher: Perfect World Entertainment

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 79 average - 79% recommended

Critic Reviews

GameSkinny - 9 / 10 stars

Remnant: From the Ashes is a tough-as-nails cooperative shooter that brings together the best elements of games like Dark Souls and Left 4 Dead.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Remnant: From the Ashes is an interesting mashup of genres, ultimately creating an experience that can stand alongside even the best Soulslikes

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

Remnant: From the Ashes is a surprisingly good combination of Gears of War-like third-person shooting with Souls-like difficulty.

GameSpace - 9 / 10

All in all, Remnant is an excellent game and definitely hits on both of our "MUST BUY" lists. Other than a bit of input lag on commands there really isn't anything we can complain about, which is pretty damned rare for the both of us, since the years have made us both bitter and picky when it comes to games. If you have the money, and you have access to a platform that will support it, you should be playing it. NOW.

Softpedia - 9 / 10

Truth be told, maybe I will try it again some day, just not right now, I'm still suffering from Remnant-induced PTSD.

GideonsGaming - 8.5 / 10

Remnant is overall a fantastic action RPG and great souls-like sibling. The enemy variety, stellar combat, and procedural aspect skyrocket its replay value and the meaningful loot is exciting in this gaming climate. It's challenging even on normal, but far less brutal than Dark Souls, but you can kick up the heat on a harder setting. If you enjoy games like Dark Souls or action RPGs this is an instant buy, especially if you have friends to play with.

GaminGuardian - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

Although it is clearly inspired by the work of FromSoftware, the game has managed to go beyond giving its own imprint, providing the closest experience to Dark Souls with firearms that one could wish for.

Heavy - 8.5 / 10

Remnant: From the Ashes is best categorized as an enjoyable diamond in the rough.

WellPlayed - 8.5 / 10

Remnant has somehow distilled key aspects of popular games and brewed something that stands on its own merit

MMOGames - 8.5 / 10

Remnant turned out to be an amazing achievement and a game that can proudly stand as a great Souls-like, despite having its own identity and focus. Everything about it works almost flawlessly, from its combat mechanics to the way that the procedurally generated world offers fresh trials without feeling hastily stitched together. If there is one challenge that you need this year, that challenge is fighting the Root in Remnant: From the Ashes.

Gameplanet - 8.5 / 10

Remnant: From the Ashes is a spectacular co-op experience when played with friends, and a potentially frustrating one when played with strangers. While procedural generation can lead to some monotony, a solid combat engine and incredible creature design make it a punishing, yet incredibly satisfying joy to play. The game is held back by several bugs and crashes, but this shouldn't stop you from giving it a go.

Boomstick Gaming - 8 / 10

Video Review - Quote not available

Shacknews - 8 / 10

Remnant: From the Ashes is immediately familiar and infinitely enjoyable. Gunfire Games has created something really special.

IGN - 8 / 10

Remnant: From the Ashes is a co-op action-RPG that's punishing and grotesque, but exciting and beautiful all at the same time. Despite the occasional difficulty spikes and slightly disappointing gear system, the thrill of finally beating a boss that's had your number for hours is unmatched.

Worth Playing - 8 / 10

All in all, Remnant: From the Ashes is a solid attempt at changing up the Soulsborne formula. It doesn't quite hit the same marks that make From Software's franchise so delightful, but it has its own strengths. Co-op is a lot of fun, and having a game genuinely built around it is a welcome change from phantoms and the ilk. Remnant is at its strongest when you're playing with other people and working together to take on huge Root monsters or figure out the answer to a riddle. If you're looking for a co-op based Souls game, then Remnant is worth a look.

Cultured Vultures - 8 / 10

From the Ashes is a brilliant game that takes what is good about Soulsborne and combines it with a satisfying co-op shooter.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

If you like loot shooters and some of the core systems from the Souls games, Remnant: From the Ashes shouldn't disappoint.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4 / 5 stars

Remnant: From the Ashes finds a nice balance of emulating the Soulsborne games while retaining what makes a great third-person shooter, all set in an Action RPG world. Possessing a nice amount of combat, interesting gaming world mechanics, and a healthy amount of replay value. This is a must-play sleeper of 2019.

Gamers Heroes - 8 / 10

Brilliantly crafted boss encounters, challenging enemies, immersive environments – Remnant: From the Ashes has everything you could want from a Souls-inspired game and more.

PC Gamer - 77 / 100

A flawed but fascinating hybrid, Remnant: From the Ashes is a looter-shooter charged with potential.

COGconnected - 76 / 100

My time with Remnant was a total roller-coaster. There were moments of pure, unfiltered rage, peaks of elation, ah-ha moments, and quiet zen grinds. For the most part though, it’s just a steady climb.

TechRaptor - 7.5 / 10

Remnant: From the Ashes boasts a beautifully realized world with awesome enemy design and top-notch gunplay. There's plenty of customization and incentive to go back for more. Unfortunately, the experience is ruined a bit by repetitive boss battles and lacking social features.

New Game Network - 74 / 100

Presentation and polish aren't its strong suit, but Remnant: From the Ashes features gripping third-person gunplay and simple but satisfying progression that enable enticing entertainment regardless of whether you're playing cooperatively or solo. The visceral variety and delightful design of the environments and enemies elevate Remnant above other Dark Souls doppelgangers.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5 / 5

In one sense, Gunfire Games have seemingly achieved the impossible in providing us with a shooter-focused RPG whose gameplay loop is validated by its plentiful, challenging encounters.

Fextralife - 7 / 10

Remnant From the Ashes is bound to be a polarizing game, much like Dark Souls was when it first released, and I highly anticipate scores to swing wildly from outlet to outlet. Players may find that their first playthrough is not what they had hoped for, and they might write the game off because of this, and I nearly did so myself. However, there is much more to Remnant than it appears, and the deeper you dig, the more you will find that the things you loved about the Souls series are present, just in smaller quantities.

GamingBolt - 7 / 10

Remnant: From The Ashes is a game with a terrible title and extremely derivative design, but good gunplay, solid co-op play, and smart randomization means it's still fun, if not original, solo or with friends.

GameSpew - 7 / 10

As a base to be built on, Remnant: From the Ashes has a lot of promise. In a year from now, I can imagine it being truly excellent. Hopefully Gunfire Games can make that happen.

Slant Magazine - 2 / 5 stars

Even when the game isn't actively shooting itself in the foot, it never entirely succeeds.

ACG - Wait for Sale

At times a very enjoyable coop and single player 3rd person shooter, held back by a number of issues.

OK, campaign one done and on to my third boss in my second. Still enjoying my time with this game! At this point i’m Just looking to max out my last two trait cards and pick up a few more weapons that I didn’t get so far. I’m looking forward the next content update. 

Ah. I haven't done any multiplayer yet so I haven't had a chance to revive anyone, but I can't recall my heal ever not working. Wracking my brain, I remembered that I thought I was experiencing some sort of delay on reloading one of my weapons, but I later figured out the weapon had an animation for being drawn that needed to finish first. Not exactly related but that one bugged me real bad until I figured it out.

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's input lag when trying to revive fallen teammates and sometimes when trying to use dragonhearts... I'm not sure if it exists on P.C. but it's DEFINITELY a thing. 

it exists on PC! and yeah, its a lag bug. Stadia is going to be great, huh?!:p

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

it exists on PC! and yeah, its a lag bug. Stadia is going to be great, huh?!:p

It's pretty blatant and I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet. I can't tell you how many times I've died because the game took too long to heal when I've pressed the button... or trying to revive someone and seeing the dragon heart animation start, then stop for no reason forcing you to press "X" a second or third time. It happened yesterday when I was playing with @JPDunks4 and @ARZ  They may THINK it's a feature but it feels like a bug.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's pretty blatant and I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet. I can't tell you how many times I've died because the game took too long to heal when I've pressed the button... or trying to revive someone and seeing the dragon heart animation start, then stop for no reason forcing you to press "X" a second or third time. It happened yesterday when I was playing with @JPDunks4 and @ARZ  They may THINK it's a feature but it feels like a bug.

Yeah, when it happens to me Its always 1 puff of red light but no heal,,2 puff of red light but no heal,and then on the 3rd it completes the animation. Magical! :p