Build-A-Bear 'pay your age' offer abandoned amid 'chaos'

So successful, it failed.

Per local authorities, we cannot accept additional Guests at our U.S. Build-A-Bear Workshop locations due to crowd and safety concerns

We have closed lines in our U.S. stores. We understand some of our Guests are disappointed and we will reach out directly as soon as possible.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/allthemoms/2018/07/12/build-bear-shuts-down-one-day-pay-your-age-sale/778835002/

"Please be aware: Based on the unprecedented response to our Pay Your Age Day event in our early opening stores, we are experiencing significantly longer than expected lines and large crowds. Local authorities are requiring us to limit the lines and crowds due to safety concerns. We understand this is disappointing, we are working to address the situation, and we will be reaching out to our valued Guests soon."

Build-A-Bear handed out $15 vouchers to those who were turned away in line.

My wife and I long ago vowed to never participate in free or discount events like that...brings out the absolute worst in people.

And that was when we were living on $20k a year while I was in school. Free/cheap stuff was tempting!