Persona 5 Royal - Information Thread (Launching 03/31/20)

Pikachu

https://atlus.com/p5r/home.html

The Phantom Thieves return in Persona 5 Royal, launching in the West in 2020!

Two years ago, the Phantom Thieves stole the hearts of millions of fans around the world. Now, they’re getting ready to make their triumphant return in Persona 5 Royal, an enhanced release of ATLUS’s acclaimed JRPG Persona 5.

In this E3 2019 trailer, reunite with Persona 5’s English voice cast and take a look at some of the new cutscenes, locations, abilities, and characters that you’ll meet in Persona 5 Royal, including the brand new playable party member, Kasumi Yoshizawa!

Persona 5 Royal steals the show for the PlayStation®4 system on March 31, 2020 with a Phantom Thieves Edition, Launch Edition, and special digital bundles, all available for pre-order today.

Digital pre-orders will come with an original Persona 5 Royal theme as a bonus and all the original Persona 5 DLC will be free for all Persona 5 Royal players.

Prepare for an all-new RPG experience in Persona 5 Royal based in the universe of the award-winning series, Persona! 

https://atlus.com/p5r/

Eh. Maybe if they do a PC release. I didn't even finish this one, which is weird since I finished 3 and 4 and loved them. This one just felt like it put all its effort into trying to be super cool stylish rather than... I dunno, having an interesting story or good characters? I liked every single character less than I did any character from 3 or 4. I found this game so disappointing. At least you could bang your middle-aged teacher in your creepy uncle's attic.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 8:21 PM, Xbob42 said:

Eh. Maybe if they do a PC release. I didn't even finish this one, which is weird since I finished 3 and 4 and loved them. This one just felt like it put all its effort into trying to be super cool stylish rather than... I dunno, having an interesting story or good characters? I liked every single character less than I did any character from 3 or 4. I found this game so disappointing. At least you could bang your middle-aged teacher in your creepy uncle's attic.

I mean yeah... it'the story is a bit edgier and pretentious (rebelling against the adult world), but at the same time I'd rather have that than some Japanese Scooby Doo murder mystery? 

Spoiler

Adachi is a better villain than Akechi however.

2 hours ago, darkness35 said:

I mean yeah... it'the story is a bit edgier and pretentious (rebelling against the adult world), but at the same time I'd rather have that than some Japanese Scooby Doo murder mystery? 

Reveal hidden contents

Uh, I don't think Scooby Doo ever did murder mysteries.

1 minute ago, darkness35 said:

In comparison to the themes/stories in the other games, I find P4 to be one of the most juvenile.

I found the theme and story in every game to be pretty much "Why are the grown-ups so mean/shitty/dumb, also let's team up and kill God" with a different superficial skin.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

I found the theme and story in every game to be pretty much "Why are the grown-ups so mean/shitty/dumb, also let's team up and kill God" with a different superficial skin.

?

I mean... Persona 5 sure?  But like even with my rather unfavorable experience I definitely don't recall Persona 1 being exactly that.

1 minute ago, darkness35 said:

?

I mean... Persona 5 sure?  But like even with my rather unfavorable experience I definitely don't recall Persona 1 being exactly that.

I mostly mean modern Persona, Persona 1 and 2 in my head are just very different things.

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I mostly mean modern Persona, Persona 1 and 2 in my head are just very different things.

I'm actually surprised you're lumping Persona 3 into that summary however.

Spoiler

I mean part of lore itself does involve the adults being the main antagonists/causation of the events that led to P3, but with the except of Ikutski, almost none of the adults in the main game that you directly interacted were were antagonists.  Strega members were definitely not adults, but they were affected by them.  Did they choose to go after the adults?  No, they chose to relish on their revenge killing job.

And even then, it was definitely not the case of adults vs adolescents, especially when we are looking at Yukari's and Misuru's fathers and their obligation to be responsible to accept or prevent the catastrophic things from happening.  And all of them have went through growth that meant overcoming their flaws (again, the aforementioned characters).  And then there's also the concepts of self-sacrifice and duty, which almost all of the characters have their own role to play, but in particularly Minato/Minako with Pharos/Nyx and Shinjiro with Ken.

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2019 at 7:02 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

P5 is one of my favorite RPGs ever, but I don’t think I can buy this. I spent 105 hours with the game and I just don’t have time to replay long games like that these days with so much other stuff out there. 

Exactly this for me as well. I put in nearly 5-6 months and over 110 hours into the game, there's zero chance I have the time or patience to replay a game which will be like 80% the same, even if I made different choices/decisions. Great game, but no way I'm gonna replay it.

For those who haven't though, I definitely recommend it, and I'd recommend Persona 5 Royal over the original.

38 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Exactly this for me as well. I put in nearly 5-6 months and over 110 hours into the game, there's zero chance I have the time or patience to replay a game which will be like 80% the same, even if I made different choices/decisions. Great game, but no way I'm gonna replay it.

For those who haven't though, I definitely recommend it, and I'd recommend Persona 5 Royal over the original.

Wait if you're not gonna replay it, how can you recommend it over the original? What if Royal adds a bunch of stupid bullshit no one wants? You can't do that!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

41 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Wait if you're not gonna replay it, how can you recommend it over the original? What if Royal adds a bunch of stupid bullshit no one wants? You can't do that!

Also a lot of people these days now have a lot of time to replay the game. :p

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I honestly dislike this trend in JRPGs.

When the remake is done this well (Persona 4 Golden also), and the original game is great on its own, it’s cool. People can choose whether to revisit it or not and those that didn’t play it yet can get a souped up version.

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Hahaha, I meant that as a completionist myself, I'd rather play the "full" game if I had a choice and from what I've heard there's a lot of quality of life improvements in the game to make battling faster/easier. :p 

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also a lot of people these days now have a lot of time to replay the game. :p

True, personally I'd rather play new games, but if ever there was the time, now is it.