DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "Official GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 4K Ray Tracing Gameplay" trailer

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What difficulty is everyone playing on?

Ultra Violent. I played 2016 on whatever normal is. Can't actually tell if this game is harder or not, but I do find myself running around more often. 

Yeah so am I. I die a lot but I haven't gotten stuck yet. You really have to play the game the way it's intended to be played. Chainsaw for ammo, gory kills for health, flame thrower for armor shards. Great game though.

Once you unlock the super shotguns mastery thing enemies will drop oodles of shields.

The boss before the final boss is hella fun and that is totes the better boss of the two, although it is quite easy. The final boss is both hectic and boring. I also still can't understand id's reasoning behind constantly adding shit that slows down the game. I said Doom 2016 would have been better if there weren't glory kills, and I still think that, but they didn't seem like they slowed down the gameplay that much in this game. But then there is the new shit. Water, purple sludge, and platforming as a whole. You get used to the platforming, but the other two things are just awful. I wish they weren't in the game. Like, they aren't the worst thing ever, but it is enough to prevent it from being 10/10. 

The combat in this game is amazing. 10/10. Easily some of the best shit I have ever played. I just wish I could swap weapons faster. I did map the super shotgun and rocket launcher to up and down on scroll wheel witch made things easier. While 10/10 there is the awful issue of weak points. Almost every weak point is basically something that requires sniping and it is just hella lame. Not bad enough to take away from the overall experience I guess. Also, the slayer gates are by far the best part of each level. Oh, well the "green eyed" bosses or mini bosses kinda suck too. The mechanics feel finicky and they also slow down the game due to you having to bait them and then counter. It is like fighting gwen in dark souls, but I can only use the parry tactic. I hated the Doom Hunters as well, but that changed when I started using the mini-gun on them. 

The story is fucking 5/10 trash. I still have no clue what the fuck was happening. Literally feel like I am missing an entire game's worth of story or even more. The lore pages are not how you tell a story, and I don't even think they actually fill in all the details. I have yet to read any of that shit tho. The only good shit in the story is Doomguy just being mad like he was in 2016. There are plenty of times where Doomguy is just being Doomguy and that's great. I mean, this is only my second doom game so maybe that is where all the story is, but 2016 seemed to be a reboot for the most part and I expected the story of Doom Eternal to just be the continuation of that story. 

Everything else in the game is like a 7/10 I guess. Could definitely get of some shit to speed level traversal up. Despite the game's shit story the cut scenes are all enjoyable. Some really good shit there. 

Assuming there is more Doom to come in the future I can't see where they go from here, combat wise. I mean, it is pretty fucking great. Maybe 10/10 was being to generous, but I had a blast. Like, I really don't want them to take away anything. The Dash and Hook are amazing additions. They really up the combat to a whole new level. But I also don't know what they could add to a sequel. I had heard people complaining that there are too many buttons to press and they really aren't wrong. I feel like I press more button in this game than I do in an mmo. 

I think I gave Doom 2016 a 7/10. I'm giving Doom Eternal a 9/10 and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being my GOTY. There is too much lame shit to give it a perfect score, but this game is all about the gameplay, which is close to flawless for this style of game. At least in my opinion. And I would have preferred the game to be more serious and gritty like 2016. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game's campaign. 

On 3/23/2020 at 3:44 PM, HGLatinBoy said:

Damn this snuck up on me and in I'm so broke I wish I could get this game!

I mean i could... thanks to Bethesda's own incompetence :p

To those who don’t want to watch a video:

Bethesda accidentally left a DRM-less executable for Doom Eternal in the original release via the Bethesda launcher. It’s in a folder called “original”. It was “patched out” via an update when they realized the mistake, but it’s obviously all over the place now. :p 

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

To those who don’t want to watch a video:

Bethesda accidentally left a DRM-less executable for Doom Eternal in the original release via the Bethesda launcher. It’s in a folder called “original”. It was “patched out” via an update when they realized the mistake, but it’s obviously all over the place now. :p 

The funny thing that the pirates eventually modded the game to remove the bethesda account page from the game so no sign in is required and now the game is pretty much freeware

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Chainsaw? Ammo has never been a problem for me.

I'd say its pretty much a necessity on higher difficulties. I played on Ultra-Violence and had to chainsaw someone probably every other arena in the beginning, every arena later on in the game.

15 hours ago, Nokt said:

I'd say its pretty much a necessity on higher difficulties. I played on Ultra-Violence and had to chainsaw someone probably every other arena in the beginning, every arena later on in the game.

I think the loop of using the chainsaw, glory kill, flamethrower, blood punch is a necessity on most difficulty levels.

10 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think the loop of using the chainsaw, glory kill, flamethrower, blood punch is a necessity on most difficulty levels.

I wasn't sure the difficulty jump from whatever normal is called to Ultra-Violence. I unlocked mastery for Super Shotgun super early in the game and almost stopped using the flamethrower entirely. I'd only really use it when I needed to double up the armor, cast flamethrower on a random group of possessed and finish one off with the meat hook for double armor shards. 

Just finished the game and I thought it was, for the most part, incredible.  The few sour notes for me were the timed combat challenges, the buff totems, and the boss fights.  The timed challenges were too often sandwiched between checkpoints, which meant that attempting them again if you failed required you to repeat a couple minutes of gameplay to get back to where you could activate them.  To add to that, if you failed them but survived, you often wouldn't have enough of the right ammo to try again, so your options are limited to using the chainsaw on an enemy and then retreating, or reloading the checkpoint.

The buff totems failed to change the combat in any meaningful way and instead were just awkward and frustrating.  When a buff totem spawned nearby, I basically ran around trying to find it and would often get stuck on something and be overwhelmed by the faster and more powerful enemies.  Similarly, the boss fights felt slightly out of place, and were too bullet spongy and long to be very fun.  The first time meeting the Doom Hunters or the Maurader felt more appropriate as boss encounters to me.

The more I played, the more I was able to settle into the game's rhythm and by the end I appreciated the addition of weakspots and new equipment.  For the first half of the game it felt like too much, but once you get used to it the game feels absolutely amazing to play.  I soldiered through the first half of the game on Ultra-Violence, but ended up turning it down to Hurt Me Plenty for the second half and I enjoyed it more - it was still challenging but less frustrating and more appropriate for my skill level.  I still don't understand what on earth they were trying to do with the story, but the environments and levels were much more varied and interesting than Doom 2016.  I also really appreciated the platforming and environmental hazards and if anything I wish that there was more of it; the game only challenges your movement meaningfully toward the end, and doesn't fully explore some of the really cool ideas it lays out early on.  Overall, it's certainly one of the best FPS games I've played in recent memory and I'm looking forward to going back through the Master Levels at some point soon.  9/10.

On 3/22/2020 at 10:09 PM, Bacon said:

I chainsawed an zambo and the lunge somehow put me halfway under the floor. Nothing would get me out either. Had to reload. 

I have been stuck inside the map now in 2 different areas, one time i did it 2x in the same spot! doing a glory kill on the floating tomatoe guys over a ledge, thus using the dash to get back on the ledge backwards and ending up going through an invisible wall. For the most part it's a beautiful chaotic romp thats for sure. I am having an issue playing with HDR on where the map is all but completely invisible. if you google it, it's a known issue. sucks because it looks great with HDR on, but everything else @4k Ultra settings, V-sync on {Qled 65" samsung q8fn} and 60Hz. never ever will you see it dip below 60fps so I'm happy as a get go . . . lol

GPU: 2080Ti

I've been enjoying the game, playing on Ultra- Violence difficulty and the game just reached a point with me where it crossed from challenging to cheap in the difficulty. I'm wondering if I'm just having a bad day or if the devs just ran out of time in tuning he difficulty. Giving the option of "Sentinel Armor" which is essentially a cheat code that doesn't hinder progress tells me that they realize the game is probably TOO tough in spots through no fault of the player. I've only used it once on the second phase of a particularly frustrating boss fight and the fight went from. hard and cheap to boringly easy. That's not great difficulty tuning if you ask me.  

I've been enjoying the game, playing on Ultra- Violence difficulty and the game just reached a point with me where it crossed from challenging to cheap in the difficulty. I'm wondering if I'm just having a bad day or if the devs just ran out of time in tuning he difficulty. Giving the option of "Sentinel Armor" which is essentially a cheat code that doesn't hinder progress tells me that they realize the game is probably TOO tough in spots through no fault of the player. I've only used it once on the second phase of a particularly frustrating boss fight and the fight went from. hard and cheap to boringly easy. That's not great difficulty tuning if you ask me.  

The difficulty balance in the game is strange - I played a lot of the game on UV and then turned it down and had a lot more fun.  It's still challenging on Hurt Me Plenty but less cheap and stressful, especially toward the end.