DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "Official GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 4K Ray Tracing Gameplay" trailer

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "The Ancient Gods, Part Two" teaser trailer has leaked
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "The Ancient Gods, Part Two" - teaser trailer released, full trailer release on March 17, rumored DLC release on March 18

Part One was such a challenge... if they make part 2 ramp up from that, I don't think I'll be able to finish it... even on easy...

Especially if I just drop in cold... I'm probably going to have to play through it all again from the start if I have any hope of completing this...

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "The Ancient Gods, Part Two" to release tomorrow 18 March 2021
1 hour ago, ort said:

Woah, tomorrow? That's a weird way to roll something like this out, right?

I think I paid for both of these when I got the first DLC, but now I can't remember...

I think it is an awesome way to do it.  I loved last summer when the new Xcom was announced and released within about a week.  I'm a fan of not teasing everyone for years and then disappointing them later.  

The final boss fight for this DLC could very well be one of the ABSOLUTE WORST I have ever experienced in all my years of playing video games.  How the hell (pun fully intended!) did they ever think THAT was a good idea?!?!

Overall, TAG2 is definitely easier (and maybe shorter?) than TAG1 which isn't a bad thing in and if itself...

...but that final boss fight...my God it's AWFUL!

I keep hearing that about the boss. Maybe they will patch it before I get to the boss. Overall it seems like most people aren't overly impressed by this DLC.

I beat the first level and yes, so far it has been WAY WAY easier. Like by a lot.

Although some of the platforming is really pissing me off.

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I loved that Hugo Martin interview where all the bad feedback about the Marauder is brought up and he basically says, "no it's super fun actually and you're wrong".  That was a universal complaint, and it definitely was the worst part of the game, so the refusal to acknowledge that was hilarious.

There are new enemies in both DLCs that make you agree with Hugo about the Marauder.

• Haha 1

I play on easy, so my opinion may not matter much, but the marauders don't bother me that much. That said, they certainly aren't fun to fight.

The only new bad guy I've encountered are those stone imps... and while I think they are fine bad guys... the idea that their weakness is the full-auto shotgun is just so dumb. How does that make any sense? Were they just looking for a reason to make people use full auto because the sticky bombs feel 10 times better? Once you get the double shotgun, the regular is basically useless... and full auto just drains your double shot ammo twice as fast so no thank you.

25 minutes ago, ort said:

I play on easy, so my opinion may not matter much, but the marauders don't bother me that much. That said, they certainly aren't fun to fight.

The only new bad guy I've encountered are those stone imps... and while I think they are fine bad guys... the idea that their weakness is the full-auto shotgun is just so dumb. How does that make any sense? Were they just looking for a reason to make people use full auto because the sticky bombs feel 10 times better? Once you get the double shotgun, the regular is basically useless... and full auto just drains your double shot ammo twice as fast so no thank you.

Oh, wait until you encounter the "Cursed Prowler" :p

1 hour ago, Brick said:

What makes the final boss the worst? Super difficult, or there are some stupid mechanics that make it like a puzzle, or something like that? 

It's a 5 stage fight where each stage is practically identical in the strategy you use to get through it.

Oh, and you have to be near-perfect in your execution otherwise the boss's health regenerates.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Oh, wait until you encounter the "Cursed Prowler" :p

Oh wait, yes... I have encountered those. They suck big time... especially if you don’t have any blood punches saved up. 

I love the giant tentacles. 

Game Information

Game Title: DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part Two

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Mar 18, 2021)
  • Google Stadia (Mar 18, 2021)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 18, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 18, 2021)
  • PC (Mar 18, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Mar 18, 2021)

Developer: ID Software

Publisher: Bethesda

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 76 average - 75% recommended

Critic Reviews

XboxEra - 9.5 / 10

DOOM Eternal The Ancient Gods Part 2 is tight, focused, and a gripping end to the rebirth of the franchise that is an easy recommendation to any fan of the genre. Breathtaking graphics, great music, and an over-the-top story combine with the best gunplay in the business to give us a rousing send-off for the series for the time being.

WayTooManyGames - 9 / 10

DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2 is a brilliantly designed expansion providing some of the most fun and fast-paced shooting action I’ve ever seen. Each of the DLC’s main missions provide plenty of variety and challenging encounters to really dig into.

Windows Central - 4.5 / 5 stars

The final DLC for Doom Eternal was worth the wait, providing some gorgeous new locations and challenging fights worthy of concluding the Slayer's saga. However, they won't let you pilot the big mechs, and that's disappointing.

33bits - Spanish - 85 / 100

The Ancient Gods part 2 is the epic conclusion of the character that has accompanied us for all these years and does so in an incredible way, showing all his potential in confrontations that will make us sweat a lot. The novelties included in this new installment are very satisfactory and bring a touch of freshness to an expansion that ran the risk of being more of the same. Totally recommended as a whole.

Game Revolution - 8 / 10 stars

The Ancient Gods Part 2 is the least impressive segment in Doom’s rebooted trilogy with its stages, level of difficulty, and slightly off-kilter story beats that all come in just below the previously established baseline. But it’s still one heck of a high baseline since the strategic, blazing-fast gunplay and ever-growing lineup of unique demons still have no equal in the first-person shooter space. The Doom Slayer was directed to rip and tear until it was done and now that it is indeed done, he has earned his rest even though his final showdown wasn’t his finest ripping and tearing.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 2 is a notable step up from the game's previous DLC.

IGN - 8 / 10

The Ancient Gods Part 2 is a challenging, smart conclusion to Doom Eternal's story arc.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8 / 10

The Ancient Gods brings a new level of challenge but it lacks a really new content.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

The Ancient Gods Part 2 is an insanely fun ending to the saga of the Doom Slayer. While the narrative aspect of the DLC is a little underwhelming, what really matters is that I got to fight two high-speed buffed Marauders at once. Doom Eternal rocks.

Cubed3 - 7 / 10

The Ancient Gods - Part Two is very good… or, more precisely, just very good. Compared to the near flawless core game, and the slightly rough around the edges, but still great Part One, this feels kind of rushed, with the new additions once again following the tired formula of gimmicky enemies. As for the story, and most importantly, the presentation, it's a blatant mess. A disappointing one at that, as this isn't just a simple expansion, but the culmination of what was basically the resurrection of the venerable franchise that 2016's DOOM initiated.

Just Push Start - 3.5 / 5

I would be hard-pressed to say Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods – Part Two was a bad experience. It honestly made me appreciate Doom Eternal's desire to make every weapon have some kind of purpose, be it destroying armor or instantly blowing up an enemy, but the conclusion is a mixed bag. At most it makes the seemingly endless waves of demons seem manageable and Doomguy legitimately feels like the killer the story suggests he is, it just doesn't stick to landing. It doesn't add much of a new experience and one the conclusion hurts more than it helps. I don't think anyone will dislike Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods – Part Two, though I also don't think anyone will be blown away by it either.

Screen Rant - 2.5 / 5 stars

Doomguy deserves his beauty sleep after this one.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "The Ancient Gods - Part Two" reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been on an FPS kick and decided to double dip on Doom Eternal so that I could get the DLC's to play on my XSX.  After remapping the controller and really coming to grips with the mechanics, I think it's easily in the top 3 or 4 best FPS games I've ever played.  For its particular style it's probably the best.

I beat the game on PS4 last year and thought it was great, but I can't stress enough how much I missed by using the default control scheme.  I had settled into a repeating pattern of taking down all enemies in certain ways, and thought that it was fun but got pretty tiresome towards the end.  It is clear to me now how integral a K+M setup is to getting the most out of this game, but since I don't have that option, I remapped the controller to get the mobility options off the face buttons (LB for jump, R3 for dash) and moved the equipment launcher to L3 (which isn't used in the default control scheme).  This added layer of movement and offensive control completely transforms this game, and makes it several times more fun than it already was.  I did not realize how layered the strategy is for every fight, and mastering the controls allows you to combo certain skills and do things I didn't even realize were possible my first time through the game.  Playing through it again I'm awestruck by how tight the design is and how expertly balanced every element of the game is.

If anybody else is playing this on console or with a controller, I can't recommend the above changes enough.  It fundamentally transforms the game.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

yuppppp I’m hoping this runs 1440p 120 on a 3080, that would still look damn nice. Wish I liked the game more.

Im more excited for that RDR2 dlss patch actually. RDR2 4k/120 probably looks pretty decent. 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Probably? 

i was just being a silly willy, it’s obviously going to look pretty cray what we will be able to do with a potential 40% or so.

ALSO rdr2’s biggest problem is it’s shitty taa, this should be one of the games where dlss actually will look sharper than native because it will replace the crap taa currently there

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

i was just being a silly willy, it’s obviously going to look pretty cray what we will be able to do with a potential 40% or so.

ALSO rdr2’s biggest problem is it’s shitty taa, this should be one of the games where dlss actually will look sharper than native because it will replace the crap taa currently there

taa? The game will look stunning for you.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "Official GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 4K Ray Tracing Gameplay" trailer
  • 4 weeks later...