DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "Official GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 4K Ray Tracing Gameplay" trailer

52 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

My God - some of these combat encounters are such HILARIOUSLY PURE BULLSHIT :rofl:

46 minutes ago, ort said:

Yes, this game is just pissing me off at this point. They maybe should have warned people that this expansion was designed to be as difficult as possible. The crap they throw at you is flipping insane.

I kinda got that impression at the end of the trailer for the DLC when they showed you having to fight TWO Marauders. I'm looking forward to breaking my controller playing this soon :p

I'm 2/3 of the way through and two marauders is what I would call a light breezy encounter.

Maurauders are nothing. The worst are these blue ghost things that possess demons. If they manage to get into one of the big bads in a fight, just die on purpose and start over.

2 hours ago, ort said:

I'm 2/3 of the way through and two marauders is what I would call a light breezy encounter.

Maurauders are nothing. The worst are these blue ghost things that possess demons. If they manage to get into one of the big bads in a fight, just die on purpose and start over.

Oh yeah I think they mentioned in one of the interviews that that could be a problem :p What difficulty are you guys playing on?

I'm playing it on the easiest setting and still having tons of problems... but I'm not really a gamer anymore and my skills have atrophied like crazy. 20 year ago me would be mocking me right now.

My 11 year old was making fun of me because my aim was so bad.

This isn't really that much content. It's basically 3 levels that are all very insanely difficult. The first level is pretty boring and looks like any other DOOM metal military level. Level 2 is a cool Hell level I liked the look and feel of (even though it was hard as hell and frustrating, and the boss was extra stupid annoying) and so far level 3 is also very cool aesthetically, but I've just started.

5 hours ago, ort said:

I'm playing it on the easiest setting and still having tons of problems... but I'm not really a gamer anymore and my skills have atrophied like crazy. 20 year ago me would be mocking me right now.

My 11 year old was making fun of me because my aim was so bad.

This isn't really that much content. It's basically 3 levels that are all very insanely difficult. The first level is pretty boring and looks like any other DOOM metal military level. Level 2 is a cool Hell level I liked the look and feel of (even though it was hard as hell and frustrating, and the boss was extra stupid annoying) and so far level 3 is also very cool aesthetically, but I've just started.

I played through the main game on the next to hardest difficulty so I'm wondering how hard this will be in comparison.

Game Information

Game Title: DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part One

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Oct 20, 2020)
  • PC (Oct 20, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Oct 20, 2020)

Developer: id Software

Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 81 average - 88% recommended

Critic Reviews

XboxEra - 9.5 / 10

A direct continuation of DOOM Eternal’s main campaign, The Ancient Gods Part 1 is a non-stop adrenaline-fueled slaughter fest. It takes all the best parts of the main campaign and turns them up to 11.

Atomix - Spanish - 90 / 100

The Ancient Gods - Part One is just the thing that you are expecting: more of Doom Eternal.

Game Revolution - 4.5 / 5 stars

The Ancient Gods Part 1 is a fantastic piece of DLC partly because of those narrative implications, but also for how it wonderfully continues and expands upon the base game’s legacy. Seamlessly dialing up the difficulty leads to more rewarding combat, especially with the banging metal soundtrack and horde of new hellspawns. Environments divulge from the typical Doom template, but are undeniably Doom and beautiful regardless. Part 2 has a lot to live up to, but if it’s anything like Part 1, it shouldn’t have a problem shattering high expectations .

PC Gamer - 89 / 100

A frankly terrifying exercise in pushing Doom as far as it can go.

Movies Games and Tech - 8.5 / 10

The Ancient Gods Part 1 is more of what made the main game so much fun and a stand out game of 2020 but it does feel held back by its own stubbornness to stick to the frustrating problems which should and could be ironed out. The ending sets up something very special to come in 2021 and it did remind me just how brilliant DOOM Eternal is if you had perhaps put it down since release but as 2020 comes to a close and silly season is about to launch some heavy hitting games and new gen consoles, this DLC is a perfect “remember why you loved me” reminder for fans of DOOM.

Press Start - 8.5 / 10

Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods – Part One does a great job of setting up some genuinely intriguing plot points while also committing to the aspects that I loved so much about the base game. In the process, it’s bound to frustrate some players – it’s bloody difficult, has more platforming elements and the Marauders just keep on coming – but it’s still more of Doom Eternal and that’s hardly a bad thing.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Doom Eternal – The Ancient Gods Part 1succeeds in its goal: to give the fans more action, gore and fun. If we put aside the small step backwards made with the soundtrack, this DLC will undoubtedly appeal to all those gamers who are still not satisfied with Doom's adrenalinic gameplay loop.

Cubed3 - 8 / 10

Spewing larger-than-life encounter after larger-than-life encounter The Ancient Gods - Part One can get a bit on the repetitive side, but it's easy to forgive it for this minor misstep, since more DOOM Eternal is never a bad thing. Don't let the low level count fool you. The three available maps are fairly large, and the high challenge will manage to keep you on your toes, especially due to how some new demons affect the battlefield. As a whole, and while a bit more variety would be more than welcome, the first DLC is very enjoyable, looks great, carries some new, and pretty neat tunes, and finally leads the narrative down a pretty intriguing path. Can't wait for Part Two!

Gamelite - Italian - 8 / 10

The Ancient Gods is a real extension of the base game. Some of the uncertainties, especially related to the narrative arc, have been swept away. The narrative is more linear and solid, although quite short at this time.

Just Push Start - 4 / 5

So much of the success of this expansion hinges on the second part, so we're cautiously optimistic. The story is building to interesting things that we would like to see, it just depends on how well they capitalize on the momentum. As for the content we did see, it's basically more of the main game, so if you want to fight even more intense waves of the same seven or so enemies, you'll love this expansion, whereas those who struggled with the base game will likely be underwhelmed.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

Like most DLC it doesn't introduce much in the way of new ideas but if you enjoyed Doom Eternal you're going to love these new levels and their uncompromising challenge.

Push Square - 8 / 10

DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part One is so much more of the PS4's best first-person shooter. It doesn't do anything dramatically different from the base game, rather letting its phenomenal gameplay loop revel in new environments and against new enemies. Difficulty spikes present more problems than we'd like, though, to the point where casual players might feel like giving up. Nevertheless, bring on Part Two.

The Digital Fix - 8 / 10

DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part One offers a meaty expansion that doesn't dramatically differ from the base game, and despite a crushing difficulty and dodgy platforming sections, it's an essential purchase for those clamouring for their next DOOM fix.

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

The Ancient Gods a great addition to DOOM Eternal. Gameplay is still very nervous, fast and its difficulty makes it more exhilarating than ever.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5 / 5

Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods – Part One is an addendum to the base game experience.

Wccftech - 7 / 10

Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part One is a solid, meaty, and strong piece of DLC for Doom Eternal. It removes some of the chaff, cutting needless exposition, and makes some strong steps in gameplay. However, strange inclusions like enemies that kill the pace of combat, as well as even more ultra-precise platforming sections can throw off the whole "Doom" feeling of Doom Eternal. Also, and this is more of a subjective gripe, it's just too difficult right out of the gate with some combat sections feeling like they last forever.

Destructoid - Unscored

If you're desperately looking for more Doom Eternal, The Ancient Gods – Part One will give it to you.

Spaziogames - Italian - Unscored

In short, we reiterate what has already been said in our technical analysis already presented on our pages, because in essence there are no differences whatsoever and those who had faced the doomguy adventure to the maximum detail know well what kind of experience to expect from this first part of the DLC, which pushes on the accelerator and gives players a content with a high challenge rate and at the same time gives yet another confirmation that the brand is in shape , in excellent hands, and in the midst of a new youth.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "The Ancient Gods, Part One" reviews from OpenCritic posted

I beat this (on easy mode).

I had more trouble with level 2 than level 3. I think that's because I got more into groove and figured out better strategies for dealing with the insanity they throw at you.

I had more trouble with the level 2 boss as well.

Overall, pretty fun, but nothing that doesn't feel like just a couple of (super hard) levels tacked on. There were at least 10 times I said to myself... "Well, I won't be able to beat this, I guess this is the end of this expansion for me... oh well..." and then I powered through. You have to pick off the demons one by one, focus on the biggest threat and ignore the others. It's the only way to do it. Stay alive, keep your health and armor up and just get a shot in where you can. 90% of this game is spent in pulse pounding insane chaos... even mores than the normal game.

What's funny is that I started the game over just for fun, and the first level feels so comically easy. In Ancient Gods, every single part of the game is inhabited by respawning zombies, soldiers and imps... they serve as power-ups and they are there to help you get ammo and health. Starting over, they throw them at you as if they are a real threat. The big difference being that you aren't all the way powered up... but still it feels laughable...

• Thanks 1

I was paying slightly more attention to the music because I was somewhat aware of all the drama and I have to say I thought it was quite good throughout. They didn't miss a beat. Fit right in with the first two games and was nice and moody when it had to be and insane and pounding when it had to be.

I'm far from an expert, but I thought the music was great like it always is. If I didn't know about what happened, I don't think I would have even paid it a second's thought... and not in a bad way.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Wasn’t this game supposed to get a next-gen patch at launch of the XSX? 

TESO_DE_Next-Gen_HERO_1920x870.png?fm=jp
BETHESDA.NET

Here’s everything you need to know about upgrading your Xbox One and PlayStation 4 copies of DOOM Eternal and The Elder Scrolls Online to your next generation console.

No, the upgraded next gen versions of DOOM Eternal and The Elder Scrolls Online will not be available day 1. However, both titles will still be playable on Xbox Series X/Series X and PlayStation 5 with backwards compatibility on day 1.
When we know the timing for the availability of the upgrade, we will let everyone know.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It really is that crazy. Some of the later encounters are just bananas. You just run around in a circle going OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK, getting in shots here and there while you scramble around constantly killing weak demons for health and ammo.

My advice is to always pick the strongest baddie on the field and focus on it. Ignore everything else. Kill one thing and survive. Rinse and repeat.

1 minute ago, ort said:

It really is that crazy. Some of the later encounters are just bananas. You just run around in a circle going OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK, getting in shots here and there while you scramble around constantly killing weak demons for health and ammo.

My advice is to always pick the strongest baddie on the field and focus on it. Ignore everything else. Kill one thing and survive. Rinse and repeat.

That is EXACTLY what I've been doing, especially when the goddamned spirits show up!

• 3 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "The Ancient Gods, Part Two" achievement/trophy list leaks
  • Pikachu changed the title to DOOM Eternal (20 March 2020) OT - Raze Hell, update: "The Ancient Gods, Part Two" achievement/trophy list leaks plus concept art and screenshot of new enemy type
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "The Ancient Gods, Part Two" teaser trailer to debut on 15 March 2021