DOOM Eternal OT - Raze Hell, update: "Official GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 4K Ray Tracing Gameplay" trailer

Damn I want this game! I can see it becoming one of the best regarded shooters ever. I really need to beat the 2016 game. Not sure if I should wait though, to give myself more breathing room between these games though, and just wait for the GOTY version that will have all the DLC in it.

So are secrets useless this time around? In Doom 2016 secrets unlocked ability points and you could even get weapons a level early except for maybe one. Like, if they are just Lore and Collection secrets that don't really enhance the player then I won't be searching for them. I know there are cheat codes but those aren't a big deal either.

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So are secrets useless this time around? In Doom 2016 secrets unlocked ability points and you could even get weapons a level early except for maybe one. Like, if they are just Lore and Collection secrets that don't really enhance the player then I won't be searching for them. I know there are cheat codes but those aren't a big deal either.

Some of them are.  But there are also Sentinel Crystals, Modbots, Praetor Suit Points, etc.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Praetor Suit Points

That is what I meant by ability points. Couldn't remember the name. Kinda sucks. I was hoping they were near pointless so I could ignore them. I might skip them and then just go back with fast travel to get all the hidden stuffs. 

I'm still very very early, but yes, ammo feels more scarce than the 2016 game... but it's not really to the point of being a problem.

Partly because there is no pistol anymore, so if you run out, you're kinda screwed.

35 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I ve read some players complaining about ammo and the lack there of , making the combat feel broken up. Anyone here feeling like that ? I am considering picking it up but if this a problem iam gonna avoid it. 

I’ve only played 3 levels so far. So, take my opinion with a grain of salt. 

My opinion is that the designers want you to use all the weapons. You can’t carry enough ammo to rely on one weapon, so I have found myself switching weapons. Each demon has a different weakness, so some weapons are much better suited to killing certain demons. While there are ammo crates, I find a big part of the strategy is deciding when to use your chainsaw to get more ammo. 

I’ll admit that I’m not very good at the game, but when I’ve run out of ammo, I’ve usually had plenty of chainsaw fuel - so I look at it as bad planning on my part, rather than a lack of ammo. 

Ammo is more scarce but the recharging chainsaw evens it out, also in the fights where it is likely that you will run out there are always respawning fodder enemies to mulch into ammo. Much like the first game I've been prioritizing ammo upgrades and I haven't had much of a problem despite using the super shotgun like 70% of the time.

Somehow, I'm ten hours in and nearing the end of the game so I'll give some brief impressions.

1. Those fuckers took my stun bomb, the siege mode equivalent sucks, and no more infinite ammo perk. Cheesing Doom 2016 was a fun and beautiful art and now I'm going to need someone else to figure out how to cheese this game.

1a. Three shotgun grenades > one

1b. I'm glad the pistol is gone

2. The aesthetic changes to the game are weird, everything has a strange gloss to it compared to 2016 and all the items and pickups are much more videogamey. I don't necessarily mind the change but it is a little jarring having just jumped out of 2016.

2a. Doom 2016 was a weird combination of old school and modern game design, and Eternal is a similar amalgamation except that what they took from old and new games is different between the games. Eternal has a hub between levels and a much more detailed and lore-heavy campaign, but it also has a more antiquated aesthetic with bright colored pickups while in 2016 most of the items were integrated into the world in a less gamey way.

3. The dash and super shotgun hook are going to make going back to Doom 2016 feel bad.

4. This game is much harder, but the reviews that complain about the platforming sections being too hard baffle me. The platforming sections are easy, short, and fun.

4a. Fucking marauders. Who put this Dark Souls in my DOOM.

5. Did I just read Doom Guy lore?

6. I enjoy the enemy variety a lot.

7. The water segments would be less awful if getting out of the water wasn't a crapshoot, but it isn't and they are.

Overall, I feel like this is a 9/10 game that I have some reservations about because at times it feels more like an alternate reality version of Doom 2016 than a sequel.

2 hours ago, Moa said:

4. This game is much harder, but the reviews that complain about the platforming sections being too hard baffle me. The platforming sections are easy, short, and fun.

I am still early on -- and I can say that this platforming is the part of the game I enjoy the least.  I have never enjoyed first person platforming, and this game doesn't change my opinion.

52 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I am still early on -- and I can say that this platforming is the part of the game I enjoy the least.  I have never enjoyed first person platforming, and this game doesn't change my opinion.

Nothing is going to be everyone's cup of tea, I just thought that the early coverage way overstated the quantity and difficulty of the platforming. 

48 minutes ago, Moa said:

Nothing is going to be everyone's cup of tea, I just thought that the early coverage way overstated the quantity and difficulty of the platforming. 

I love the platforming, and the crank in me attributes the negativity to the press sucking at games. 

I'm really enjoying it so far, and there are moments when I'm awestruck at how everything is working together and how the game pushes you to utilize everything at your disposal.  The game looks incredible and the gibs flying off the enemies are fantastic.  I'm enjoying the levels themselves much more than the previous game and while they are still mostly made up of various combat arenas, there is much more happening in between.  Some of the fights introduce very clever mechanics either through the design of the space or through the types of enemies that you have to fight in tandem.  I am starting to wonder though if they just added one or two layers too many.  Every fight is like a puzzle, but there is so much happening that it's easy to forget a few of the pieces.  I can see it becoming incredible the more you play and are able to adapt to the game's systems and flow, but I do find myself wishing it was a bit simpler and more straight forward in some respects.

I agree that the platforming is fun and mostly there to break up the fighting.  I also don't understand the whining because these sections are usually very obvious and short, outside of the secret areas and other specific platforming challenges that are completely optional.  The dash mechanic is amazing and absolutely necessary to survival.  Whoever thought this story was cool or interesting is absolutely insane, and it boggles my mind that so much effort was put into it, even though it's easy to ignore.

I kinda feel like having lives on is cheating, but there isn't much difference between using a life and just restarting. I mean, I have used a life and instantly when back down to 40hp. The weak point stuff is kinda lame as well. Maybe it was in 2016, but I don't recall ever going after weak points. Kinda just feels like I'm playing "DOOM says" at times. Or like someone a id saw that clockner video and said "we need to force people to play like that."  

I'm only a few hours in but was there some DLC after doom 2016 that I missed? I remember Doomguy being trapped by Hayden and this game starts out with him on some space station/church thing, is this explained? 

Also the platforming is horrible 

I have to say that after 5 levels, I am really enjoying this game.  I think the combat design is really well balanced, it looks fantastic, I love finding the secrets, and I am really enjoying how FAST it plays.

I still hate the platforming -- it's not that its hard, it's not that I die on it all that much.  For me, this game would be much better without it.

So many small things annoy me about Eternal and its changes from 2016. 

This is super easy to fix, but why wouldn't you keep your key bindings from 2016 and build on them. Why move weapon mods and punch/glory kill around. Its such a weird change and playing 2016 right before release really screwed me up until I swapped everything over.

The HUD is functionally better, but the colors are just so bright and colorful. Though the top right progress bar could be established a little better, maybe put pentagrams for combat and ? for secrets. I had no idea what any of that even meant because I blew through the post level screen on the first couple levels. 

Environments are much more varied than the UAC, Mars, and Hell levels of 2016, but I don't think Eternal comes close in terms of the atmosphere and tone that 2016 creates. Its something I miss a lot, instead of dark and gritty everything seems way more video gamey and sci-fi. I guess it really comes down to preference, but I really do wish they had kept the same philosophy behind 2016. 

Is there really a point to having to collect the batteries in the map to use in the Hub/Ship thing instead of just having that collectible on the map somewhere? It seems like a rather unnecessary part of the game, though the prison fighting thing is alright I guess. I've only used it twice so far.

Most of the enemy and weapon redesigns I'm okay with except a few. The Combat Shotgun and Super Shotgun sound extremely weak compared to their 2016 counterparts. The Cacodemon, Revenant, and Possessed/Unwilling are changes for the worst. Cacodemon is a small change, it has a pupil now, just makes it seem less demonic. The Revenant looks so clean compared to 2016, 2016 has blood spattered across his head and soulless gray eyes, while Eternal has the bright yellow eyes with a clean head. Possessed/Unwilling go from a mutated human to a basic zombie. Just small changes that make Eternal lose that feeling of 2016. 

Speaking of Possessed/Unwilling, I'm not really sure I understand the changes made. In 2016 they were essentially cannon fodder to help you regain health if you need it. Now they can't be one punched into a Glory Kill (its several punches now) and you don't have a pistol to stagger them. Not worth it to waste chainsaw on them for ammo, not worth wasting ammo on them either. Not to mention the extreme range of their lunge to attack you. You're essentially just avoiding them in every instance they aren't needed to be killed. 

Platforming is still mind-numbingly boring, but with dash, grappling, and having to time jumps at least they made an attempt to make it more interesting. Its easily the worst part about the Doom reboot series.

While I appreciate the extra mobility in combat, I feel like standard strafing tactics don't work anymore. Added with weak points that pretty much have to be focused, its like Bacon says. Doom is forcing me into a specific playstyle. Weaknesses still existed in 2016, but you aren't shoehorned into exploiting them at every single moment. I feel like whenever a Arachnotron is in the Arena you HAVE to focus its head canon or it will just lay into you and Cacodemons take so many bullets to kill that its by far easier just to lob a grenade in their mouth.

Don't take this the wrong way. I still think highly of this game and am having a lot of fun with it. Its just small changes that I wish wouldn't have changed. 

• Like 2

Ok overall gameplay is solid, but the wall climbing shit needs to go. It has zero difficulty and feels like it only exists to make shit take longer.

And I have no clue what is going on with the story. Like, they really fucked that up. It is like I went from playing halo 1, skipped the rest of the series and went straight to halo 4 or 5. Like, I loved the simple story of Doom 2016. I loved that the Doom Slayer was the monster that lived under Demonity's bed. Now there is this dumb bullshit. Like, I don't even know who Khan Maykr is. Why am I actually going after these priests? Why the fuck are there priests? Are they hell priests? Why is doom guy kneeling to some bitch ass ghost? The betrayer? Betrayer of what? And no, I am not going to read your shitty fucking lore pages. I don't play an FPS to fucking read. 

9 hours ago, elbobo said:

I'm only a few hours in but was there some DLC after doom 2016 that I missed? I remember Doomguy being trapped by Hayden and this game starts out with him on some space station/church thing, is this explained? 

As far as I can tell, that hasn't been addressed at all in my playthrough so far, but I'm still really early in the game.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

I was looking forward to my copy coming this Tuesday from Amazon. But the office at my apartment is currently closed and i don't think my package will get delivered!

Probably too late to have the shipping changed, but maybe they could drop it in an Amazon Locker nearby. 

The story in this game is laughingly bad.

In the first game it kind of made sense, I don't even know what the hell they are talking about in this game. Who are these people and things and huh?

Good thing I don't give a crap about the story.

1 hour ago, ort said:

The story in this game is laughingly bad.

In the first game it kind of made sense, I don't even know what the hell they are talking about in this game. Who are these people and things and huh?

Good thing I don't give a crap about the story.

It’s not for everyone. I never took you for a Doom fan anyways. 

The only problem I have with the game is the story so far. It has been more convoluted this time around and they are dumping way too much lore with the little readable pickups. I loved those things in 2016, but this time they are a chore to read. Several different factions with no clear timeline or who is supposed to be human vs demon and jesus christ it's just too much to take in.

Everything else, platforming included, I love. It just plays so damn smooth, and I love all the progression shit they're doing. 

32 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The only problem I have with the game is the story so far. It has been more convoluted this time around and they are dumping way too much lore with the little readable pickups. I loved those things in 2016, but this time they are a chore to read. Several different factions with no clear timeline or who is supposed to be human vs demon and jesus christ it's just too much to take in.

Everything else, platforming included, I love. It just plays so damn smooth, and I love all the progression shit they're doing. 

I agree that the story/lore isn't worth paying any attention to -- its a hot mess.  Are there any humans in Doom Eternal?  I've come across Argentians, a Makyr and demons so far.

I don't think the story of Doom 2016 gets enough credit. It's obviously not the focus of the game, but much like how the gameplay was a commentary on how boring most FPS games are, the story was a riff on the trope of guy in ear tells you everything to do while having possibly nefarious motives.