Ghostwire: Tokyo (Tango Gameworks) - update: Xbox Series/Game Pass release on April 12 including free "Spider's Thread" update (new areas, more cutscenes, new skills, etc.) for all platforms

I can’t tell if this game will actually be good or not but I’m pretty damn sure it’s something that I’m going to really dig. As long as it’s not like actively irritating, I want to get into this world. 

I see there is the grapple hook thing and they talk a lot about movement and then yeah what they mostly show is slowly moving and shooting fireballs or whatever. I have a feeling this is going to be different to play than it looks in these videos, I think the gameplay variety and options will be more robust than it appears.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghostwire: Tokyo (Tango Gameworks, 25 March 2022) - update: 18 minutes of gameplay footage
Hanya_02.png
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

A preview ahead of the game’s launch

AkitoSmoke_5.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Everything in service of the first-person view

ghostwire-tokyo-preview-header.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

After playing the first couple of chapters of Ghostwire: Tokyo, it seems like ghosts, not golf, are a good walk ruined.

ghostwire-tokyo.jpg
WWW.PLAYSTATIONLIFESTYLE.NET

We recently got to sit down and check out the first two chapters of the game. We share what we learned with our GhostWire: Tokyo gameplay preview.

ghostwire-blogroll-1647211084138.jpg?wid
WWW.IGN.COM

We've had hands-on with the first four hours of Shinji Mikami's stalk through a supernatural Shibuya. Here's what we think of Ghostwire: Tokyo so far.

3951730-9999534565-393556.jpeg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

We got hands-on with the first two chapters of Tango Gameworks' upcoming FPS.

ghostwire-tokyo-preview-header.jpeg
BLOODY-DISGUSTING.COM

In our Ghostwire: Tokyo preview, Tango Gameworks heads in an intriguing new direction. Does it translate to a good horror experience though?

ghostwire-tokyo-silly-good.jpg
WWW.VG247.COM

Tango Gameworks’ latest game is proper weird, and a must if you've ever wanted a buddy cop thriller with talking animals. Yes, really.

iVcfxNt9cuq3knHrFQH7AR-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Hands-on with the first two chapters of Tango Gameworks' new adventure.

GhostwireTokyo-Combat.jpg
WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

Karate meets magic in Ghostwire Tokyo, the latest game from Tango Gameworks. We go hands on with the opening chapters for our preview.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghostwire: Tokyo (Tango Gameworks, 25 March 2022) - update: multiple final hands-on previews posted

Game Information

Game Title: Ghostwire: Tokyo

Platforms:

• PC (Mar 25, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 25, 2022)

Developer: Tango Gameworks
Publisher: Bethesda

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 77 average - 66% recommended

Critic Reviews

GameGrin - 10 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo is a phenomenal experience through and through, it didn't matter what area of the game I tackled, I found myself having a blast experiencing every single one of them.

Siliconera - 10 / 10

After watching the credits roll on Akito and K.K.’s journey, I still find myself itching to finish up every single thing in Ghostwire: Tokyo. Pray at those last few Jizo statues. Find the remaining tanuki. Figure out how to get inside of the 24th floor of the shopping complex so I can take out its pesky corruption spot. I’m forty hours in and counting and one hundred percent willing to do it all over again.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9.5 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo is the game I think we were all hoping for when it was announced. The eerie streets of an empty Tokyo draw you in and promptly scare you senseless with some fascinating enemies lurking around every corner. The story shines exactly when it needs to and then fades into the backdrop, allowing you to experience this sensational world. From the incredible voice work and writing, to the well-paced combat and city exploration, this is a must-play experience with plenty to do across its 20 hours.

Atomix - Spanish - 90 / 100

Ghostwire: Tokyo is a very deep experience full of great ideas. The way that Tokyo was build, combine perfectly with it's ghost story, open world and combat system.

FingerGuns - 9 / 10

A smaller, more condensed open world hides the ethereal reality of a game which has a touching narrative, beautifully conceptualised neon Tokyo to explore and a wealth of folklore tales to weave your way through. Ghostwire: Tokyo stays true to the well-worn formula of open-world games, but the genuineness of its ideals make it a compelling and at times, other-worldly experience. Find the time for this next 2022 gem. It deserves it.

GGRecon - 9 / 10

Ghostwire Tokyo is a bit of a surprising game. The freaky enemies and cool magical powers were expected, but I did not expect to be so engaged by the story and the characters, nor did I expect to be running and jumping across the rooftops of Tokyo in a beautiful rendering of the city. I certainly didn’t expect to smile and laugh as much as I did. Don’t get me wrong, this game is tense and the stress often had me on the edge of my seat, but it struck such a beautiful balance that I loved every twist and turn.

Gamers Heroes - 90 / 100

Ghostwire: Tokyo is set up to be one of the most unique and interesting titles of the year, and it doesn't disappoint. Darken the room, turn the volume up loud, and keep out any distractions; Ghostwire: Tokyo is one hell of a spooky ride.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9 / 10

Ghostwire Tokyo is a peculiar and charismatic open world, with a rewarding combat system and a fascinating location to explore.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 9 / 10

Shinji Mikami relies on the talent of Kenji Kimura to offer something different and refreshing within the studio's catalog.

Niche Gamer - 9 / 10

Part X Files and part Yu Yu Hakusho, GhostWire: Tokyo offers a completely fresh take on the sandbox RPG formula. It has action when it needs to and it never inundates the player with constant noise or obnoxious tasks to fool them into thinking that they are engaged.

PlayStation Universe - 9 / 10

Shinju Mikami does it again, this time in a new genre. Ghostwire: Tokyo brings inspirations from the horror genre into the open world, finding great success with this combination. Despite its hiccups, Ghostwire: Tokyo is another compelling experience from the mastermind behind Resident Evil.

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5

A heartfelt story and world with a few snags.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo is, first and foremost, beautiful. Its realistic city elements blended with the ethereal and supernatural create a cornucopia of amazing visuals and sound. Even when the hardware struggles to keep up sometimes, it’s never so much so that the game loses that sense of mystery and awe. Just as well, a big part of that is Tango Gameworks’ creative adaptation of Japanese mythology and lore. Their takes on monsters, demons, ghost stories, and various legends come to life in a massive variety of fascinating ways, whether it’s the situations you encounter, the ways you fight against them, or the elements that aid you.

Stevivor - 9 / 10

If you’re looking for an open world with a different flavour to everything else, diving into the fog-filled streets of Ghostwire Tokyo is just the right fit. Stock your quiver, practice your hand gestures and get ready to be the yokai cool guy you were born to be.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

Ghostwire: Tokyo is a must-play for anyone who loves action-adventure, even with some less than inventive design choices for its structure.

WayTooManyGames - 9 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo is a delightfully intriguing and unique gaming experience that blends a wonderfully weird world with a great story and fast-paced combat. Despite some repetition in its open world activities, the pros more than outweight the cons. Tango Gameworks’ spooky adventure was worth the wait, and it is a game I can highly recommend.

Gamerheadquarters - 8.7 / 10

Ghostwire Tokyo is a great supernatural finger blasting psychological thriller filled with wild action and the odd dog petting.

Bazimag - Persian - 8.5 / 10

It’s not every day that we get to experience a Japanese ghost story of this caliber in the world of video games but Ghostwire: Tokyo utilizes its setting in the best way possible and uses the audio-visual presentation to heighten the whole atmosphere even. Although at the beginning the aiming has an imprecise feel to it, the combat is designed in a way that is quite fun and also leaves a room for experimentation but the open world’s structure feels a little outdated while the design of the city is great.

Digital Chumps - 8.5 / 10

Despite veering into a number of dated tropes and choosing not to reinvent the wheel, Ghostwire: Tokyo thrives on its devotion to Japanese folklore, a cultural touchstone propelled by unique combat and a haunted city worth exploring.

Gamepur - 8.5 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo’s story was brief and satisfying, with gorgeous visuals from beginning to end.

Geek Culture - 8.5 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo invites players on an unearthly walk through a wonderfully realised city, and captures our imagination at almost every turn when it comes to humans, relationships, loss, and the paranormal, even if there are stumbles along the way.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 85 / 100

A unique game, set in modern Tokyo but full of references to japanese folklore, yokai and oni. We love exploration and side missions, designed as small ghost stories, but combat mechanics are too basic because of the limited enemy AI.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 85 / 100

From story to combat, exploration and setting, every little detail stands out and combines to deliver one of the best games of the year. Ghostwire: Tokyo is a true love letter to Tokyo and Japan, with all its peculiarities and mythology treated with well-deserved deserved respect, delivering a unique experience that can only be created by a studio truly in love with a project.

COGconnected - 82 / 100

Where Ghostwire: Tokyo loses some love is in the overall imprecision of its movement and mechanics, and a few elements that seem arbitrary or unexplained. Ghostwire: Tokyo’s combat is engaging and its environments are impressive, but that same combat can also frustrate and the environments are balanced against less impressive character models. As a new IP or franchise, Ghostwire: Tokyo is a great, but rough-around-the-edges step in a really interesting new direction.

33bits - Spanish - 80 / 100

The charisma and the overwhelming personality of Ghostwire Tokyo shine with their own light, but the playable section is not at the same level as its overwhelming aesthetics. The story is intriguing, the setting is fantastic, the control is very fluid and the technical section is up to the best, but with the hours everything ends up weighed down by the weight of some mechanics that make it a much more conservative title than expected, trapped in the worst topics of the open world video game.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5

While it still has room to grow, Ghostwire: Tokyo is truly a one-of-a-kind experience thanks to its breathtaking atmosphere, gorgeous open world, impressive stories, and exhilarating combat.

Checkpoint Gaming - 8 / 10

When Ghostwire: Tokyo capitalises on its spooky surroundings by whisking you off into strange dimensions, fighting evil with powers you shoot from your hands, it’s excellent. The haunted, deserted Shibuya is a thrill to explore, and helping spirits with their final requests provides some engaging mini-adventures. Where it fumbles slightly is in the delivery of its open world, which regularly feels a bit old school as you chip away at the fog of the map, cleansing fast travel points as you go and repeating some filler tasks. Still, with a curious mystery laid out before you and a creepy atmosphere that will keep you on your toes, Ghostwire: Tokyo provides plenty of spooks and intriguing diversions around every corner that are just begging for your attention.

ComingSoon.net - 8 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo isn't Bethesda Softworks' best first-person shooter, but it still earns its spot within that publisher's peerless shooter pantheon through the sheer ingenuity found in its mechanics and world.

EGM - 8 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo offered Japanese developer Tango Gameworks a chance to mix things up after the first two The Evil Within games, and the result is an open-world action adventure that definitely has its moments. Unfortunately, those moments come together with some missed potential and a lack of truly fleshing out all of the ideas presented. In the end, Ghostwire: Tokyo is a good game-but one that could have been something more.

Filmweb - Polish - 8 / 10

It's a battle for the souls and of the souls in Tokyo. And it's fun as hell. Although "GhostWire: Tokyo" is hardly treading new waters, Shinji Mikami's imagination alone elevates it to the level unattainable for many game designers. Deeply rooted in Japanese folklore, it perfectly balances action and adventure.

Game Informer - 8 / 10

The things I like about GhostWire, I really like. I'd go so far as to say that some elements – its world, enemy design, etc. – are among my favorites in a game in years. That said, there are plenty of elements, such as story and gameplay, where GhostWire is hardly up to snuff.

Game Revolution - 8 / 10

Despite these issues, it has a compelling story, and I enjoyed the journey from start to finish.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10

Ghostwire Tokyo's charm, bizarre world, and engaging story shine in spite of the rather empty world.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

If you like games that are fast-paced and that don’t bog you down with gameplay elements that can feel like busywork, Ghostwire: Tokyo may not be for you. If you don’t mind the slower pace, however, and are excited by the prospect of busting ghosts with magic thrown from your hands, chances are you’ll love it. It may feel like virtual tourism during a cataclysmic event at times, but that’s the charm of it. And there’s plenty of it to be done as you traipse back and forth across Tokyo trying to thwart a Hannya mask-wearing psycho.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo's unique supernatural combat and eerily beautiful open-world paper over the cracks of its subpar story and inconsistent side missions.

Gaming Nexus - 8 / 10

I didn't know what to expect with Ghostwire: Tokyo at first. It uniquely meshes aspects of horror and action with the deep mythos of Japanese folklore. The game absolutely crushes it in terms of visual and technical performance, utilizing every feature of next-gen on the PlayStation 5. However, its disappointing narrative and repetitive open world features hold it back from being truly amazing.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo mixes unique ideas with formulaic design, and though the latter does affect the experience, it is ultimately still a solid, enjoyable game that's well worth experiencing.

GamingTrend - 80 / 100

Ghostwire: Tokyo is a unique blend of FPS, RPG, and horror with a creative twist on how we approach fighting in an FPS. Despite a few grievances about the length and ambition of the project, it is still a good game, but unfortunately it merely toes the line between good and great, never quite finding its footing. Still, Ghostwire: Tokyo is well worth picking up.

Glitched Africa - 8 / 10

Tango Gameworks crafted an exceptional horror action game in Ghostwire: Tokyo with some incredible combat and thrillingly dark story even if the world is less than impressive at times.

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo looks stunning throughout, with impressive enemy designs and interesting locations, despite a few issues with its gameplay.

Hey Poor Player - 4 / 5

Ghostwire: Tokyo ends up being a satisfying experience. With a wonderful world to explore, excellent combat that gets quite deep over time, and an interesting story, there’s a lot to recommend about it. Somehow it also ends up feeling a bit incomplete, though. There was room here for more gameplay variety and to really explore more with some of these characters, and doing so might have turned a good game into a great one. As is, the ending feels like it comes a bit out of nowhere, leaving me to wonder if the team’s original vision was a bit larger. Still, if you’re looking for a creepy game where you strike fear into the creatures that go bump in the night, check out Ghostwire: Tokyo.

INVEN - Korean - 8 / 10

'Ghostwire: Tokyo' is an exciting action game with unique depiction of scary urban legends and an exorcism. The combination of creepy ambience and stylish exorcism-action give us a good reason to love this game. However, sloppy boss fight and lack of variety on monsters can be a bit of demerit for those  who wish to deep dive into this neon-covered streets of Tokyo.

Next Gen Base - 8 / 10

A fun, supernatural romp in a wonderfully recreated depiction of one of the most recognisable cities on the planet, Ghostwire: Tokyo is let down somewhat by combat that feels simplistic in places, and borderline clunky at worst. The location, unsettling atmosphere and story are by far the stars here, with a really fun plotline that will do more than enough to convince most people to see it through. A true example of next-gen visual flair, Ghostwire: Tokyo is a curiosity that will allow you to pet, rather than kill, the cat.

RPGamer - 4 / 5

While there’s plenty of room for improvement in the main narrative and in establishing its antagonists, the content of the side missions ensures the game remains interesting throughout. Its ability to transport players into its supernatural Tokyo is not to be understated, and uncovering the different Japanese spirits while helping those unable to move on gives the game a thoroughly engaging loop that is hard to put down.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

Great world design that begs to be explored for hours on end, which made overlooking the blah story and repetitive combat that much easier

Saving Content - 4 / 5

Ghostwire: Tokyo has a fun setting and a great vibe, but is held back at times by inconsistent combat and it’s adherence to the open world zeitgeist.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8 / 10

Ghostwire Tokyo pays tribute to japanese folklore and criticizes the contradictions of society. it deals with existential themes and tells a story of loss and resilience.

The Independent - 8 / 10

If the idea of yet another 50+ hour open-world game sounds exhausting, then Ghostwire: Tokyo might be for you. Even if you aren’t a fan of horror games, then don’t be dissuaded. While it leans heavily into the iconography and some of its enemy designs can be unsettling, it’s firmly rooted in the action genre and rarely deviates beyond the very occasional jump scare.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo was not the game I was expecting from Tango Gameworks, but I definitely enjoyed it. Blending magic-filled FPS action with Japanese mythology and an open world Tokyo that reminds me of the Yakuza series, it stands out from the crowd even if it's not truly groundbreaking. Ghostwire has a lot of potential as a new franchise and I'm looking forward to seeing what Tango Gameworks does with it next.

Tom's Guide - 4 / 5

Ghostwire: Tokyo offers a varied arsenal of paranormal powers, and a well-realized deception of the Japanese capital. However, it does fall into some familiar open-world grooves.

Twisted Voxel - 8 / 10

Ghostwire Tokyo is a one-of-a-kind first-person action game with a distinctly Japanese feel. There aren't many games like this on the market, and despite some monotonous combat and progression loops, it manages to provide something new for genre enthusiasts.

VG247 - 4 / 5

While its leading pair and open world design stumble at times, Ghostwire’s wonderfully weird side stories and engrossing combat, more than pick up any slack and work in harmony with the game's more zany and offbeat elements to create a world that hasn't just got looks, but one hell of a spirit, too.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo may be the best game yet from developer Tango Gameworks. It's a great and meaty action/adventure game featuring an enticing universe, solid combat, and excellent exploration of the wonderfully designed Tokyo.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 76 / 100

GhostWire: Tokyo has managed to present a realistic Tokyo atmosphere with its basis based on Japanese folk tales, and despite its shortcomings in storytelling, it has managed to be a fun action-adventure game.

AusGamers - 7.5 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo is an experience where immersion and originality is born from the technical and artistic brilliance on display, and the care and attention to detail Tango has put into every building and alley-way you discover.

Destructoid - 7.5 / 10

Solid and definitely have an audience. There could be some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.

GameByte - 7.5 / 10

For those that like the supernatural and action-adventure games you’ll have a great time with Ghostwire Tokyo. If you’re coming into the game expecting a terrifying horror experience you’ll be disappointed. There are still moments there though that will get under your skin. Bethesda’s PlayStation swan song might not hit all the right notes but it still delivers a melody that’ll be stuck in your head for a while.

Infinite Start - 7.5 / 10

Overall, I would say I enjoyed playing through Ghostwire: Tokyo. Some of this might just be my love of the setting and overall culture, though it’s unique and often fascinating. It’s just a shame a wide variety of choices hold it back. Turning an open-world game into a long series of checkboxes is rarely good, with combat following an odd curve. It starts fun, then feels unsatisfying, followed by it slowly building back to being fun. Given it eventually becomes a satisfying experience I would say it’s worth considering, though it is absolutely not an experience I’d say is for everyone.

Press Start - 7.5 / 10

A compelling concept and a beautifully realised world, Ghostwire: Tokyo leverages Japanese folklore and a unique combat system to provide a unique open-world experience. While some aspects of the combat feel underdeveloped and the game structure has been done-to-death, Ghostwire: Tokyo's uniqueness helps it stand well above where you'd expect it to.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 7.5 / 10

Japanese take on demons  in open world of Tokyo is something new and comes with good story and deep combat, but also with repetitivity.

Sirus Gaming - 7.5 / 10

Ghostwire Tokyo is not a bad game, but it never reaches the greatness I’d seen Tango Gameworks do previously. If you’re a fan of open-world games, collecting things, and love side content, it might be something you enjoy, but be wary of the game’s narrative and battles. With those, you’re in for a bit of corporeal punishment.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo is a game that fails to live up to its potential, trapped by a lack of ambition and an uninspiring old-school open world. The audiovisual presentation is good, if flawed, but on its own it can't elevate a short and monotonous game. A pity.

WellPlayed - 7.5 / 10

Despite its awkward pacing, one-note combat and tedious open world collectible hunting, Ghostwire: Tokyo is as unique and atmospheric as they come. Side-stepping its horror roots, Tango Gameworks delves into the depths of Japanese folklore and urban myth through the lens of the modern world and the results are as refreshingly charming as they are routinely unnerving.

Worth Playing - 7.5 / 10

Despite my perceived flaws of Ghostwire: Tokyo, I'd still recommend it as something to experience to players of all levels, simply for the fact that I did enjoy playing it and learning from it. Also, I wanted to give respect to Tango Gameworks for heading in a somewhat different design avenue. It's a ghostbusting romp through Tokyo, and if someone asks if you want to play it, say yes.

ZTGD - 7.5 / 10

As a brand new IP, Ghostwire: Tokyo shows a lot of promise with its strong animation work, solid combat and interesting world design, but it falters along the path to the finish line with a story arc that feels rushed along with an excessive use of typical and tired open world game design tropes.

PC Gamer - 72 / 100

Fun combat and a sophisticated city burdened with the unfulfilled potential of a far scarier experience.

But Why Tho? - 7 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo offers a lot of good but it’s hidden behind even more tedium. I'm left wishing that the team had more time to polish their ideas. It's hard for me to recommend Ghostwire: Tokyo. That isn’t to say I didn’t have fun with what's made well. What doesn’t, though, feels like it patches and ultimately bogged down my experience.

Cubed3 - 7 / 10

Level design is perhaps too restrained when it comes to eclectic set pieces, but the open world packs itself full of secrets while pacing its main content out appropriately. Ghostwire: Tokyo is a worthy entry in Tango Gameworks' catalogue.

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5

Ghostwire: Tokyo dazzles with its supernatural set pieces and folklore-driven storytelling, though its open-world tropes lack the same creative edge.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 7 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo manages to create a beautiful experience, guiding us through the city through a different perspective, but achieving its goal nonetheless.

Game Rant - 3.5 / 5

Tango Gameworks' Ghostwire: Tokyo builds a paranormal mystery in a grounded setting but loses some of its shine in its pacing and combat.

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

Ghostwire Tokyo is a pretty good game, entertaining, but it shouldn't be unforgettable. Artistically, it is very beautiful, the city of Tokyo is pleasant to explore but gameplay mechanics do not follow and are a bit outdated.

Gamersky - Chinese - 7 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo has a unique "modern ghost" cultural setting, but the tedious open-world design dilutes this feature, leaving the gaming experience repetitive and monotonous. The boring battle experience and dull main storyline will down its rating from "worth a try" to "not very recommended". Of course, for players who love Japanese "oni" culture and various urban legends, or who don't feel repulsed by checklist-based open-world games, this game is still worth watching.

GamesRadar+ - 3.5 / 5

Ghostwire: Tokyo feels like a throwback to a different era of action game design. It takes an off-beat approach to world design, story encounters, and combat pacing that won't be for everyone, but if you can get it to click into place you'll have a resoundingly chill time hunting ghosts throughout Tokyo.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5 / 5

A common criticism you've no doubt identified throughout this assessment is that certain aspects don't offer enough - not least when the foundation is clearly there - to give Tango's latest that critical edge over its peers.

IGN - 7 / 10

With superb visual design and an incredibly well-realised rendition of Tokyo, Ghostwire gets a lot right, but just doesn't quite have the gameplay chops to push it over the top.

Inverse - 7 / 10

'Ghostwire: Tokyo’s vision of Shibuya is eccentric and captivating. Exploring every nook and cranny to learn more about the Japanese myths and legends that inspired the game makes for a compelling gameplay hook. It’s a shame that despite some interesting ideas, parts of the story campaign feel like they were left on the cutting room floor.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

The main story soon falls into repetition, and its side content is bloated with busywork, but exploring and fighting your way through Tango’s eerie, detailed rendition of Shibuya is where Ghostwire: Tokyo shines.

PowerUp! - 7 / 10

There’s a great game just beneath the surface in Ghostwire: Tokyo obscured and pained by the pretty good one layered on top. Not too dissimilar to the men that lead it, the game is flawed and prone to mistakes that drive away affection it rightfully deserves. But it’s trying and in the end, that’s all that really matters.

UnGeek - 7 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo is a game with an excellent atmosphere and great visuals but is let down by average gameplay and a forgettable story.

VideoGamer - 7 / 10

Most potent of all, there is a strain of urban fear running through its design—not of monsters but of the city itself as an isolating entity, rendering you unreachable.

XGN.nl - Dutch - 7 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo is a thrilling paranormal rollercoaster with ups and downs. Exploring the city of Tokyo is fun and defeating your first few enemies is a blast, its flaws also become apparent very quickly. The game lacks enemy variety and the same goes for Akito's weapon arsenal. Ghostwire gets a little repetitive and sadly doesn't find a way to fix that problem before the credits roll.

Prima Games - 6.5 / 10

If being screamed at by giant crows appeals to you, then boy howdy here’s a videogame for you specifically.

New Game Network - 62 / 100

Ghostwire: Tokyo has an interesting setting, but a lackluster story, monotonous combat, and disappointing visuals make for a forgettable adventure that doesn't justify its next-gen-only status, or the full asking price.

CGMagazine - 6 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo envisions a world that is wonderful and interesting to explore at first glance, but soon reveals itself to be shallow and lacking in its writing and combat.

Daily Star - 3 / 5

There’s clever use of the new controller options. But when it comes to video games, gameplay is ultimately everything and this title simply won’t blow you away.

GamesHub - 3 / 5

Ghostwire: Tokyo’s open world city is beautiful, and its world-building, environment and creature designs are also excellent. But even with a sensible runtime and a brisk plot, the game spends too much time engaging you in repeating, unchanging, and unexciting activities. It’s the terrible and taxing curse of open world monotony, plaguing a piece of work that otherwise has so many unique and original ideas.

Kakuchopurei - 60 / 100

In a world that's already saturated with open-world games, it's disappointing that Ghostwire Tokyo doesn't do much to distinguish itself and instead relies on tired tropes. Add simplistic combat and annoying mechanics to that mix, and the game doesn't have much to stand on. The only saving graces are the flashy visuals and aesthetics, as well as attention to detail in other areas such as environments and creepy monster designs.

Push Square - 6 / 10

Ghostwire: Tokyo feels like a step back from what Tango Gameworks has produced in the past. While its combat system is fun in bursts, it becomes repetitive far too quickly. The open world is jam-packed with busywork, and the story doesn't go anywhere interesting either. Excellent PS5 DualSense controller support, haunting elements, and nice visuals aside, Ghostwire: Tokyo will have to go down as a miss.

TrustedReviews - 3 / 5

Ghostwire: Tokyo introduces a creepy take on Tokyo with a fascinating exploration into the themes of death and spirits through the lens of Japanese folklore. But the combat can be both boring and frustrating, while the open-world map feels a little too formulaic to offer any joy in exploration. With so many superior action RPGs already releasing in 2022, it’s hard to recommend adding this to your wishlist.

VGC - 3 / 5

At times it feels like the game’s incredible art direction, music and visual style deserve a game that’s better mechanically, but when it all comes together, Ghostwire Tokyo is one of the more memorable recent games in the triple-A space, if you can ignore its gameplay stumbles.

We Got This Covered - 3 / 5

Ghostwire: Tokyo is, heartbreakingly, not spooky. It's also not particularly interesting, and I certainly didn't find it very fun to play. I'm sure genre-fanatics will find something to latch on to, but nothing ever quite hooked me enough to make the journey feel compelling.

Luis Alamilla - 5.5 / 10

Tokyo is overrun by deadly supernatural forces leaving Tokyo’s population to vanish in an instant. Now Akito must join forces with the powerful spirit KK if he's ever going to be able to save his sister along with the rest of Tokyo from the supernatural threat. Ghostwire Tokyo is available on PS5 and PC.

Metro GameCentral - 4 / 10

Rarely has such a big budget game been based on such a thin gameplay premise, with this bafflingly dull first person action adventure that begins to run out of steam by the end of the tutorial level.

ACG - Wait for Sale

Video Review - Quote not available

Chicas Gamers - Spanish - Unscored

One of the best games of 2022 so far. The oppresive and mysterious atmosphere of an empty Tokyo is the real protagonist of the game during KK and Akito's adventure trying to discover the secrets behind the mistery man with the Hannya mask. The visuals are absolutely stunning and the smart use of the DualSense funcionalities creates an inmersive experience. If you love the japanese folklore and culture this is a game you will enjoy the world that Tango Gameworks have created in Ghostwire: Tokyo.

Console Creatures - Recommended

Ghostwire: Tokyo oozes with style but its combat and traversal hold it back from making it a standout.

Entertainium - Recommended

Even though it’s “another one of those games”, I still found it surprisingly compelling. I liked doing the little sidequests to help a young girl’s spirit find her grandmother’s old umbrella (which had become possessed), or helping a group of friendly tanuki (Japanese racoon dogs) reunite with their boss. I liked reading the thoughts of the cats and dogs, wondering where all the humans went. If it had been a bit more adventurous, Ghostwire: Tokyo could have been something very special, and although gameplay-wise it plays it safe, there’s enough weirdness and personality here to make it worth a visit.

GameOnAUS - Liked

For the world and the combat alone, it’s an open world game worthy of your time. Flaws aside, it was a lot of fun and delivers an enjoyable experience for fans of the occult and open world adventure.

Goomba Stomp - Recommended

Ghostwire: Tokyo also offers a surprisingly robust education in traditional Japanese folklore and horror. As an open-world experience, the game is not without its flaws. But for the curious who are fortunate enough to own a PlayStation 5 (or decently specced-out PC), Ghostwire‘s unique storytelling and setting raise it to instant cult classic status.

One More Game - Buy

Overall, Ghostwire: Tokyo is a decent game that provides a surprisingly fun time with its open world and intriguing side quests, but it may not be a game for everybody as the action and open-world mechanics will expect some effort from its audience. Despite that, the game deserves a playthrough for its unique immersion and thematic elements, and I hope Tango Gameworks takes this groundwork and improves on it for future titles.

Polygon - Unscored

Ghostwire: Tokyo’s charm can’t make up for its frustrations

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

Open world Tokyo hosts ghost-fighting, soul-collecting and a little too much flimsy busywork in between.

Windows Central - Unscored

Despite all of the quirks I've come to experience, I absolutely want to play more.

gameranx - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ghostwire: Tokyo (Tango Gameworks, 25 March 2022) - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Can't wait to check it out. Seems weird in a good way. The little prologue VN thing they released for free got some really rotten reviews from people (Dunno if that's changed) but as I figured it was just a little 20-30 minute setup for the game I found it interesting enough. Seemed like it had a few options for branching dialogue too.

Also game unlocks on Steam at like 10AM PDT on the 24th, assuming we can use a VPN to unlock it early. Otherwise we wait 11 more hours.

47 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Can't wait to check it out. Seems weird in a good way. The little prologue VN thing they released for free got some really rotten reviews from people (Dunno if that's changed) but as I figured it was just a little 20-30 minute setup for the game I found it interesting enough. Seemed like it had a few options for branching dialogue too.

Also game unlocks on Steam at like 10AM PDT on the 24th, assuming we can use a VPN to unlock it early. Otherwise we wait 11 more hours.

Enjoy being the only one here playing it you freak!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone play this? Seems to be my kinda jam so far. Some Murdered Soul Suspect vibes. It’s sillier than I realized, it can be atmospheric and scary but also it has kind of a light hearted vibe for a lot of it. Esp with the banter with your host. Has a good gameplay loop of exploring, doing side missions, and upgrading going on, and it’s not overly bloated so I’m doing all that stuff.

Combat is fun enough, nothing special, but I do like how you can chain rip out the cores. It’s pretty slow as you’ve seen in videos but also ammo is limited so it’s kind of more managing that and picking up ammo from objects as you fight and chaining things. 

But the core of the gameplay seems more so exploring and puzzles and such. It’s an adventure game with some combat and open world exploring it feels more than say a survival horror or a fps. 

6 hours ago, Bloodporne said:

I still kinda want this because I like weird, experimental games but yea, won't be for more than a $19.99 deep sale.

I feel ya’ll on this. It does feel like a game that should have launched at $40. Nothing bad here, but it’s pretty repetitive and not super huge in scope or ambition. 

That said if I like the gameplay loop, which I do, repetitive is fine. It really feels a lot like a 360 game but with current gen graphics. I think it will be a fantastic addition to gamepass whenever exclusivity runs out and they port it.

I think my initial impression made this seem more mediocre than it is. After a good session yesterday I can see how much bigger and more vertical the city is than I initially thought. The vibe of this game, looking for hidden tanuki’s, talking to cat vendors, feeding dogs for hints, helping ghosts move on, it’s all very my sorta thing.

And then the gameplay loop of collecting hidden souls to level up abilities, it’s very Gravity Rush/Crackdown feeling as you glide around and explore.

Im definitely thinking about it and can’t wait to be able to really dive back in this weekend.  Still understand it’s more of a $20/$40 kinda game for most people, but it would have been worth $60 for me. This is actually more my kinda jam than I thought before I bought it.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't got back to it yet, but I was enjoying it. It's very different than what I was expecting but it's kind of relaxing and enjoyable in a strange way. For me it's like a weird zen open world game, probably due to the rainy night atmosphere and the lack of many human characters. Wish there was more enemy variety, I can definitely see how many were disappointed, and while it's hardly The Evil Within 3, I like it. Feels like a decent B-game, and it's still pretty rare to get those.

30 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Haven't got back to it yet, but I was enjoying it. It's very different than what I was expecting but it's kind of relaxing and enjoyable in a strange way. For me it's like a weird zen open world game, probably due to the rainy night atmosphere and the lack of many human characters. Wish there was more enemy variety, I can definitely see how many were disappointed, and while it's hardly The Evil Within 3, I like it. Feels like a decent B-game, and it's still pretty rare to get those.

Yeah this is all right on, and why I figured you would be liking it. It’s absolutely a relaxing game which is the total opposite of what people probably expected it to be.

There’s a new patch out now for performance. People complained about stutters but you just set streaming to auto and then it’s not a problem for me. Maybe this lets you manually set that now but ya not gonna fix what isn’t broken on my end but maybe this helps with that.

But anyway the rad thing is dualsense is working properly now. Wish it was since the beginning but cool to play it like this. Can’t wait until microsoft either comes out with a game pad that competes with it or sony releases drivers to unlock its full functionality wireless in Windows. Ideally I’d like MS just to release a pad that has the same haptics and also the gyro and then the extra buttons of the elite series.

I don't believe Sony CAN release drivers to utilize its full functionality via wireless, at least not without a dongle. I believe it's a weird bluetooth limitation. Bluetooth holding us back for years. High latency, low features, awful for audio, etc. Need a new wireless standard on PC so we can expand our horizons!

28 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I don't believe Sony CAN release drivers to utilize its full functionality via wireless, at least not without a dongle. I believe it's a weird bluetooth limitation. Bluetooth holding us back for years. High latency, low features, awful for audio, etc. Need a new wireless standard on PC so we can expand our horizons!

Oh interesting! So what does dualsense use on ps5 to work then?

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Oh interesting! So what does dualsense use on ps5 to work then?

No idea! For all I know they just use some custom Bluetooth or something but in all cases where you can use the advanced features of DualSense pads outside of a PS5, it's wired only, and no one has made any progress otherwise, including Valve, Sony, and individual game support from developers, so I assume there's some limitation like bandwidth.

• Thanks 1

What a fantastic game this was. It’s something you could play quick at like 15 hours if you wanted to, but I explored a ton and got like 3/4th of the souls and upgraded every ability I wanted to and did all the side quests and it took me about 38 hours. 

I definitely recommend this on sale which it already has been for like $40. A true 8/10 with no real problems or annoying sections, just a solid fun game that can get a little repetitive. Problem elevated to a 9/10 for me because of just personally really digging the vibe.

Also wanted to give kudos to Tokyo itself which is just gorgeous especially on pc maxed out with ray tracing. It’s almost like too good for this game, and I loved the game. But for something kinda niche like this, it’s crazy how nice the city is. They should honestly just reuse it by populating it and making some third person open word action game thing.

Reminder it’s not a horror game, but if a mix of Gravity Rush and Murdered: Soul Suspect sounds like your thing, then give this a shot.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Something about it is just like the ultimate weekend morning game. 

It’s such a good Game Pass game tbh. I have playing this game in small chunks. I hop in, explore, rescues souls, do a quick side quest and hop out. When I know I have a good chunk of time, I hit up the main story stuff. The vibe and Tokyo really encourages you to chill and soak it all in.

• Like 3

Is this something you guys think I'd like?

I'm OFFICIALLY starting up gaming tomorrow with Horizon Forbidden West. I plan to beat that then maybe squeeze a game in before I attempt to finish Elden Ring. I have so much to play including Psychonauts 2 which I delayed forever!