Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

17 hours ago, Brick said:

Well it's not like I'm going to be playing this at 4K anyway. I only have a 1440p 60hz monitor. Even if I'm only able to get it to 30fps, that's acceptable, and not worth spending another small fortune for a 3080Ti. 

https://www.gamerjet.uk/2020/06/cyberpunk-2077-preview-ran-at-1080p-on-pc-with-dlss-2-0-enabled-on-an-rtx-2080ti-card.html?m=1

2080TI with DLSS ran at 1080p with RT and couldn't maintain constant 60fps

See, I saw a (second-hand) comment about someone playing it and saying it ran at a steady 60-80 FPS. Now I'm curious if the GeForce now stuff was confusing some people or obfuscating actual frame rates or what. I only grow more curious!

Well it is still being worked on, so kind of pointless to be talking about performance now anyway. After launch with patches and driver updates, then we can see how well optimized it is, and how well it runs at max settings with all the ray racing goodies turned on. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Well it is still being worked on, so kind of pointless to be talking about performance now anyway. After launch with patches and driver updates, then we can see how well optimized it is, and how well it runs at max settings with all the ray racing goodies turned on. 

It will run flawlessly!

(on @Mr.Vic20's computer)

Im considering upgrading to a 3080ti, but id literally be doing it for this game. I can afford it if I start putting away a bit of cash every pay right now. But its a lot of money to make this game look better. I can offset the cost by selling my 2080ti to a friend of mine who wants it. I know im playing this game on pc. 

https://press-start.com.au/news/playstation/2020/06/29/cyberpunk-2077-wont-be-censored-in-australia-but-japans-version-will-be-fairly-different/

Japan better import:

The Japanese version will receive the following changes: 

• Added underwear to naked male/female characters
  • Revised some sexually explicit content
  • Selective revision of severing human body/exposed guts
  • Revision/removal of billboard/graffiti shaped as genitals

Cyberpunk 2077's wall running scrapped due to design reasons

If you've followed Cyberpunk 2077's development you've most likely seen the extensive gameplay presentations of the game and in one of the gameplay sessions, namely the 48-minute session from August of 2018, a snippet was shown of a mantis blade-equipped V using the wall running mechanic to prop herself up on a wall above a group of enemies. After having played the game for four hours earlier this week (read our hands-on impressions here), we had a chat with Cyberpunk 2077 level designer Max Pears about the vertical traversal in the game.

We asked whether or not wall running would come to be part of the vertical exploration of Cyberpunk 2077 and got a surprising answer.

"Ah, the wall running" Pears exclaimed, "that is something that we removed due to design reasons, but there's still going to be a lot of flexibility in how you move, that's for sure".

So there was this post and the comment below it.

135c0ea10a2e61adcbf450904073a698.png

I agree that cut content is normal, but I feel that guy and some other are giving CDPR too much credit here. Removing 3rd person cutscenes doesn't feel like cut content, but a failure. And an I am not sure exactly how wardrobes and outfits were supposed to work in CP77, but that being removed seems like... idk not good? I mean, I don't really care if the character can't change clothes, but like, I can't believe that is something they had to cut. 

Stuff like the Subway rides is what I'd call classic cut content. I feel like I am always hearing about some method of transportation getting cut. But like, they literally only have two classes in the game now. Not saying the game won't be good, but I think it is very OK for people to be worried about the state of the game.

My gut feeling is that, post-launch, once the "YES DOOD, SOMETHING NEW DOOD" feeling goes away, the main feelings towards the game will be something like, "I mean, it's OK, but when compared to the witcher series it feels kinda weak." And "We really waited X years for this?" This is ignoring all the hate the game will get for bigoted reasons. 

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

So there was this post and the comment below it.

135c0ea10a2e61adcbf450904073a698.png

I agree that cut content is normal, but I feel that guy and some other are giving CDPR too much credit here. Removing 3rd person cutscenes doesn't feel like cut content, but a failure. And an I am not sure exactly how wardrobes and outfits were supposed to work in CP77, but that being removed seems like... idk not good? I mean, I don't really care if the character can't change clothes, but like, I can't believe that is something they had to cut. 

Stuff like the Subway rides is what I'd call classic cut content. I feel like I am always hearing about some method of transportation getting cut. But like, they literally only have two classes in the game now. Not saying the game won't be good, but I think it is very OK for people to be worried about the state of the game.

My gut feeling is that, post-launch, once the "YES DOOD, SOMETHING NEW DOOD" feeling goes away, the main feelings towards the game will be something like, "I mean, it's OK, but when compared to the witcher series it feels kinda weak." And "We really waited X years for this?" This is ignoring all the hate the game will get for bigoted reasons. 

I also think that guy who's responding is taking it the wrong way. Or at least partially so. CDPR are the ones who decided to show off these features, and then quietly cut them.

That's fine, he's perfectly right in that tons of stuff gets "cut" out of every game because eventually you gotta build the damn thing. But I also think getting a feel for the community reaction to each feature both being there and being removed pre-launch can be a quality indicator of what your actual playerbase may find interesting.

I, personally, for example, love wallrunning and enhanced mobility (real enhanced mobility, not slowing the game down and then adding ledge grabs) and hearing that it's gone is, joke above aside, an actual blow to my excitement for this game. Know a feature they added in the meantime that literally no one asked for? Braindancing. Give me Batman detective vision with 50 layers of shit I have to scrub through to find a highlighted item. These fucking modes are literally one step away from those hidden object games you can buy in a 10-pack for a dollar. And you watch the cutscene that plays out and all the tools in the engine to get it functioning and you know it can't be cheap.

Now, is there a scale where this one feature is directly weighed against another and the dev puts one on the chopping block? Of course not. But as someone who laments how first-person games in particular are getting slower and slower and less interesting to actually move around in, I'd have been delighted to hear they hit a bit of a roadblock with wallrunning and then overcame it rather than hearing that it's gone and now I can listen to the same cutscene 14 times while I scrub around the timeline looking for a glowy orange gun.

I wish I hadn't know there was originally going to be wall running :cry:

Cut features aside, it looks fucking amazing.  I can't put my finger on why it seems extra immersive, but it absolutely does.  Something about the presentation of everything makes you feel hyper aware of your character's body moving through a living, breathing space in a way that's unprecedented compared to any first person game I know of.  And if it's true that most buildings are explorable and the physics system is as indicated in the new footage then I'm gobsmacked at how this is running on current gen hardware.  Man I hope this doesn't get delayed again.

I'm fairly certain that the wall-running was scrapped because there was no way to make it work effectively in combat with the game's building geometry.

The games where wall-running has been effectively implemented (the Titanfall series, Ghostrunner, etc.) have relatively simple building geometry that involves lots of long flat, unbroken surfaces.  There isn't a lot of variation in the geometry of the building surfaces in those games which therefore makes it much more feasible to implement wall-running as a core part of the gameplay loop.

• Thanks 1

So... there’s a few 20+ minute gameplay demos on YouTube from the newest build (of real people playing it and not basically a hype-trailer). The combat doesn’t look... umm... too great. I hope I’m wrong and that it plays better than it looks “being played”. :/ 

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

So... there’s a few 20+ minute gameplay demos on YouTube from the newest build (of real people playing it and not basically a hype-trailer). The combat doesn’t look... umm... too great. I hope I’m wrong and that it plays better than it looks “being played”. :/ 

Everyone ive seen talk about playing says its great. Also, apparently your character gets better at gunplay and stuff as you level.

33 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

TBH, I don't think the game is gonna be as amazing as everyone thinks it is gonna be and that is why if I can't get someone else to get it for me I don't think I will get it. At least not right away. 

12 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I'm fairly certain that the wall-running was scrapped because there was no way to make it work effectively in combat with the game's building geometry.

The games where wall-running has been effectively implemented (the Titanfall series, Ghostrunner, etc.) have relatively simple building geometry that involves lots of long flat, unbroken surfaces.  There isn't a lot of variation in the geometry of the building surfaces in those games which therefore makes it much more feasible to implement wall-running as a core part of the gameplay loop.

It certainly didn’t work well in Spider-Man when running side to side. Up long stretches worked great though.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It didn't? I don't remember any issues with this in the game.

I meant from building to building, and don’t get me wrong, its one of my favourite games. I just always found the sideways running wonky. Especially as it relates to a few of harry’s station quests

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cyberpunk 2077 interview: Mantis blades, recoil and Legendary guns – everything you need to know about the weapons of Night City (VG 24/7)

In the second episode of the publisher’s Night City Wire video series, members of the development team took a deep dive into several aspects of the game, including weapons and combat. Following on from our chat about all things narrative and story last time around, we again had a chance to take things even deeper, sitting down with senior gameplay designer Pawel Kapala, also a Witcher 3 veteran at the studio, to talk all things weapons.

Below you find the full, lengthy transcript. We cover everything from ongoing improvements to melee and how players will get their hands on legendary weapons as quest rewards to weapon mods, character progression with firearms and that nebulous but vital concept of ‘gun feel’.