Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 (Early Access) - Information Thread, update - I seriously can't keep up with this raging tire fire of a game so just read the damned thread
1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Are people still saying Jason’s reporting is inaccurate and he was only talking to disgruntled former employees? 

*largest shrug 

Were his insiders reporting on the game being borderline unplayable on last gen consoles?  I don't recall that being a huge piece of his "investigative" journalism from all his insiders and by far the biggest news of the last few weeks.

I didn't read all his work though so maybe he did?

52 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm not looking for a refund. I'm just keeping my digital copy for when the next gen update hits. I'll buy an xsx then.

Honest question that I don't mean to come off dickish... why? If you're not going to play it, by the time it hits next gen systems and you have a console to play it on... just buy it then? There's a non trivial chance it'll be cheaper, too.

Okay, question:

I keep reading that this is mainly playable on current systems, and especially on good PC systems. Well, my computer, which was top of the line last year, is running a combination of an Nvidia 2080 with a gtx 1080 together, so my question is "is this decent enough" to play the game decently, or am I going to end up having to upgrade to the 3080 line (think that's the current one). With this combination card system, I've been uncertain when I'll have to upgrade, or even to what when I do.

10 minutes ago, brucoe said:

Okay, question:

I keep reading that this is mainly playable on current systems, and especially on good PC systems. Well, my computer, which was top of the line last year, is running a combination of an Nvidia 2080 with a gtx 1080 together, so my question is "is this decent enough" to play the game decently, or am I going to end up having to upgrade to the 3080 line (think that's the current one). With this combination card system, I've been uncertain when I'll have to upgrade, or even to what when I do.

I'm not sure how the 1080 factors into this. If you just run on the 2080 my guess is you should be able to run it fine, but probably with minimal ray tracing.

57 minutes ago, brucoe said:

Okay, question:

I have an i7-3770k and a 2080 and the game runs pretty well for me. But, disclaimer: I've only played for a total of maybe three hours.

Okay, I bought it and started it. So far (about ten minutes in), the graphics are really awesome. My only concern so far (and I'll probably play later tonight...just don't have time yet) is that some of the early dialog options really seem limited, like it gives you a choice of things to say, you say the cool one, and then it turns back around and still forces you to choose the dialogue option that you didn't want in the first place. Kind of hoping this doesn't become a regular thing, because that just indicates bad writing and scripting, and I really, really, want to enjoy this game.

5 minutes ago, brucoe said:

Okay, I bought it and started it. So far (about ten minutes in), the graphics are really awesome. My only concern so far (and I'll probably play later tonight...just don't have time yet) is that some of the early dialog options really seem limited, like it gives you a choice of things to say, you say the cool one, and then it turns back around and still forces you to choose the dialogue option that you didn't want in the first place. Kind of hoping this doesn't become a regular thing, because that just indicates bad writing and scripting, and I really, really, want to enjoy this game.

Dialogue options open up as you level up different attributes. If, say, "cool" attribute is above a certain level, you'll then see that dialogue option as an option with certain people at certain times. Like a lot of us keep saying, the game continues to open up more and more - the customizability is quite deep once you're far in enough. 

And your computer can definitely run it, since it's newer than mine. Mine is pretty powerful, but a few years old now - I've maxed everything out but since I have a 1080Ti no raytracing or DLSS for me. Still, game looks phenomenal and I'm getting 60fps at 2K with everything maxed out (but with no raytracing or DLSS). Apparently the game is more CPU hog than GPU hog according to Digital Foundry over at Eurogamer.

2 minutes ago, brucoe said:

is that some of the early dialog options really seem limited, like it gives you a choice of things to say, you say the cool one, and then it turns back around and still forces you to choose the dialogue option that you didn't want in the first place. Kind of hoping this doesn't become a regular thing, because that just indicates bad writing and scripting, and I really, really, want to enjoy this game.

You get some slight variations depending on build or back story but in my experience the outcome is virtually the same

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

You get some slight variations depending on build or back story but in my experience the outcome is virtually the same

Yeah, I should have been clear that the dialogue options that open up are just for flavor - you learn a little more about the character than you otherwise would have, but the end result of the quests/stories plays out one way unless you outright fail the job (which can happen). I didn't think it was that kind of RPG, so I wasn't expecting a lot of variance in that sense though.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I didn't think it was that kind of RPG, so I wasn't expecting a lot of variance in that sense though.

My stance on that is why even give the player a choice if the out come is the same. I dont need to have control of the story but if you give me options I am going expect something from it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

My stance on that is why even give the player a choice if the out come is the same. I dont need to have control of the story but if you give me options I going expect something from it.

I think the blue options are for character depth, and the yellow options are definitive, colorful answers that lead to the same end result. I think it's, as I said, just for character flavor. I like a lot of the exchanges in the game, so I appreciate it, but I never expected Mass Effect level reverberations in the dialogue. 

Edit: What I find funny is I pick all the optional blue dialogue option choices, but some are kind of dick things to say so I hesitate to select them. But since I know they are optional and don't change the story, and I'd rather hear all the dialogue I can, I always pick them. :p Since yellow ones are definitive, those ones do make me think more, since I really am endeared to a lot of these characters. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Honest question that I don't mean to come off dickish... why? If you're not going to play it, by the time it hits next gen systems and you have a console to play it on... just buy it then? There's a non trivial chance it'll be cheaper, too.

Honestly it's because I'm too lazy to attempt a refund. Not joking. :lol:

• Haha 1

Complaints about lack of choice in games always bother me. It's absolutely impossible to write a good story with the amount of variability necessary to satisfy gamers' expectations. No game has ever done it or will ever do it. There's a reason choose your own adventure books are not a serious literary genre. The trick is not to make you decisions matter, it's to make it feel like your decision matter, and these are two very different goals.

3 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Were his insiders reporting on the game being borderline unplayable on last gen consoles?  I don't recall that being a huge piece of his "investigative" journalism from all his insiders and by far the biggest news of the last few weeks.

I didn't read all his work though so maybe he did?

I mean, the crux of the reporting was that the developer was forcing mandatory overtime after they promised not to to fix the bugs in the final stretch of game development. 

Somehow the message many people took from that is that Schrier was just trying to sensationalize something for clicks? Instead of maybe the game wasn’t coming together as planned and the people at the bottom were suffering for it. 

14 minutes ago, Moa said:

Complaints about lack of choice in games always bother me. It's absolutely impossible to write a good story with the amount of variability necessary to satisfy gamers' expectations. No game has ever done it or will ever do it. There's a reason choose your own adventure books are not a serious literary genre. The trick is not to make you decisions matter, it's to make it feel like your decision matter, and these are two very different goals.

I think you're missing the reason behind my criticism. It's not that there is a lack of choice, but in that they give you choices that are completely irrelevant. And even that is somewhat fine, except my complaint is that they give you a choice, you take it, and then they cycle back around and force you to then take the choice you didn't want to take (because the game won't get you out of the dialogue options UNTIL YOU DO). So, why not just force the required dialogue option from the start, so I don't feel like I had a choice that was then swiped away from me to choose something I WOULD NEVER SAY. It's basically the complete destruction of any immersion a player might have.

And for games that did it well, Skyrim is a good example. You still had to take a certain, somewhat similar path that everyone else would take, but it didn't force decisions upon you that you wouldn't normally make. I also look at practically any Bioware game made from a few years back. That was good writing, and it still pushed the story forward.

Now, keep in mind, I'm still way new into this game, so maybe they redeem themselves. I just haven't had time to see that yet, and I'm only pointing out something that immediately stuck with me less than two minutes into the game.

2 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I think you're missing the reason behind my criticism. It's not that there is a lack of choice, but in that they give you choices that are completely irrelevant. And even that is somewhat fine, except my complaint is that they give you a choice, you take it, and then they cycle back around and force you to then take the choice you didn't want to take (because the game won't get you out of the dialogue options UNTIL YOU DO). So, why not just force the required dialogue option from the start, so I don't feel like I had a choice that was then swiped away from me to choose something I WOULD NEVER SAY. It's basically the complete destruction of any immersion a player might have.

And for games that did it well, Skyrim is a good example. You still had to take a certain, somewhat similar path that everyone else would take, but it didn't force decisions upon you that you wouldn't normally make. I also look at practically any Bioware game made from a few years back. That was good writing, and it still pushed the story forward.

Now, keep in mind, I'm still way new into this game, so maybe they redeem themselves. I just haven't had time to see that yet, and I'm only pointing out something that immediately stuck with me less than two minutes into the game.

No, I get what you're saying and I agree that from my experience Cyberpunk doesn't accomplish making your decisions in dialogue feel important, and they split the difference between tabula rasa protagonist and well-defined protagonist in a way that isn't very satisfying. I was speaking more broadly about people's expectations for narrative games and generally that the more control a player has over the narrative the less well-constructed that narrative will end up being.

59 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I think you're just misunderstanding the system. The blue choices are all optional dialog that may (but often do not if they're just info gatheing) affect the dialog tree, but you don't even have to say any of them. However, you must always choose a yellow dialog option to advance the conversation. If there is only one yellow dialog option, then you can't avoid it by making an optional blue response. When there are multiple yellow dialog options, then you do have to suffer the consequences of your chosen response of them. (For some the consequences may be minimal, for others your choices can be as extreme as leading to fights to the death or not.)

On some occasions, you'll also be forced to choose one of multiple yellow options on a time limit and have to think quickly about what you want to say.

I'm not really paying that much attention to this, but it sounds bonkers... how bad are these bugs? Is the game unplayable?

What percentage of people do you think are frustrated enough to want their money back? I feel like most gamers would just hold onto the game... but who knows.

25 minutes ago, ort said:

I'm not really paying that much attention to this, but it sounds bonkers... how bad are these bugs? Is the game unplayable?

What percentage of people do you think are frustrated enough to want their money back? I feel like most gamers would just hold onto the game... but who knows.

The console version is total and utter garbage. It looks like poop, runs like poop, and is buggy.

The PC version is pretty demanding but on a high end system looks great and the bugs are not super out of the ordinary.

Perhaps the worst part of it all though, is CDPR's management team seems determined to keep making things worse in their handling.

PC user have another issue to worry about. If you craft a lot of gear it will cause your save file to increase in size ,around the 7mb size causes the game to load slow and 8mb cause the save file to corrupt with no fix. 

You can also get the same issue by playing for more then 80 hours

800x418_Forum_Cyberpunk.png
FORUMS.CDPROJEKTRED.COM

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/any-way-to-recover-saves.11052509/ 55 hours in and all of my saves and auto saves load me back to the title screen with the message "saved data...

What a shit show

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Moa said:

Tell Me Why had some impactful dialogue choices, in fact they determine if you've

Spoiler

got friends at the end or you're forever alone. :p