The Outer Worlds - Information Thread, update - "Spacer's Choice Edition" announced for $60 ($10 if you already own base game + both DLC expansions)

13 minutes ago, Biggie said:

How y’all liking this? Living up to the hype?

It is living up to my expectations. But I only thought it was going to be an OK game and it is living up to that. The combat is fine, but doesn't excite me. The story so far has actually been weaker than I thought tho. Like, I don't know if the rest of the Worlds are gonna be like the first world, but the first world you land on is very cliche and boring.  A lot of "muh corporations bad, hippies good". Now it isn't exactly like that. There is a bit more to it, but not a lot. 

Spoiler

So, everyone in the first town is getting sick because of their diet. The hippies who ran away from the town are now healthy thanks to the green diet, only, what they don't know is that their hippie leader gets plants to grow buy using human corpses as fertilizer. Of course, she hasn't been killing "good" people but there are only so many bandits and natural deaths before she needs to start using living good people.  And there is still more to it than that, but whatever. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Thoughts on controller vs mouse/keyboard for this one?

I mean, unless you go melee build, the entire game is a shooter. So, I haven't even considered a controller. This game's VATS doesn't seem to have auto aim either, so you still have to aim while in slow-mo. 

Also, this game doesn't seem to have stupid shit that makes the FO games fun. Like, part of the fallout fun was the jank and some of the ridiculous but good builds. Like, super omega teleport VATS melee man. The perks are far more simple and there doesn't seem to be anything like the Mysterious Stranger or Bloody Mess. Like, despite the flaws of the fallout games, they had some really dumb fun shit. Maybe that stuff will be in the game eventually, but the first world did not offer that. Maybe it is just a tutorial, but there is quite a lot of content in that supposed tutorial that makes me think otherwise. IMO, the tutorial ends once you get the quest "Comes Now the Power". 

No matter how good this game is by the end of it, I will never be 10/10 because companions aren't in their casual wear in the ship. Instead everyone is in the Armor you put on them at all times and it looks ridiculous and not in a good way. It really is bad enough to remove a whole point. Assuming there will be mods, I am sure it is a fixable issue, but I'll be done with the game by that point. I'd even take an option that makes all armor look like their default gear.

Also, while the PC can have no armor on, the companions are forced to wear armor. Basically you can be naked and they can't. 

• Guillotine 1

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I didn't say the first world was a tutorial world

It wasn't really directed towards you. As in I wasn't trying to be negative towards you or anything. And if it is a tut world, it is a pretty lame way to start off your game. 

For those further along: how is the exploration, anyway? I just got off the first planet and while exploring yielded some decent gear and some mildly interesting backstory, I haven't find anything truly weird like in Fallout. And I don't mean gear, I mean bizarre or beautiful locations full of weirdos. Despite me hating how Fallout played, and looked, and ran, and animated, there was a lot of cool shit to find in the Wasteland, which is what made the game worth playing for someone like me. I'm worried these smaller areas might not be able to offer that same experience if they're too small.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

It wasn't really directed towards you. As in I wasn't trying to be negative towards you or anything. And if it is a tut world, it is a pretty lame way to start off your game. 

No worries,  I didn't take it negatively. Was just relating that the devs consider the first mission to be a tutorial mission. I wouldn't have known 

On 10/25/2019 at 5:31 PM, Biggie said:

I’ve gotta be honest. I don’t care for this side of you. Did you get laid or something?

Guess they didn't use lube. 

Anyway, gonna wait for more gamer impressions and not corporate impressions. Right now seems like a sale or gaming drought buy. 

finally got a chance to put a few hours worth into this.  really enjoying it so far.  

im actually really enjoying the gunplay on it although since ive been playing on the 1X so far the aiming is rough on a controller.  will download pc version this weekend and give it a go even though it probably wont perform too well for me

edit:  also is there a way to go back or "store" party members?  i have the engineering girl with me right now but also finished the vicar quest and he said he would join but i dont want him right now.  Or can you have multiple people in a party?

27 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

got a chance to put a few hours worth into this.  enjoying it so far.  

actually really enjoying the gunplay on since ive been playing on the 1X so far the aiming is rough on a controller.  download version this weekend and give it a go even though it probably perform too well for

:  also is there a way to go back or "store" party members?  have the engineering girl with me right also finished the vicar quest and he said he would join but want him right now.  Or can you have multiple people a party?

You can have two people in your party... go back to your ship to get him and you can have him and Parvati in your party at the same time. I have four party members now and have left the first planet. 

Game is solid so far... basically a better running Fallout mashed up with Mass Effect. It hasn't really "grabbed" me yet but if you love Fallout and Mass Effect it may be for you. I'm glad it's on gamepass though. I probably would have been a little underwhelmed if I bought it day one at full price. Being on Gamepass will probably benefit this game in the long run as more people will get to try it out.

I’ve played it about 5 hours today. Very chill game. It’s like a mix of Fallout and SW KotoR. And it has a Bioshock feel to it. Pretty cool change of pace type game for when I get tired of CoD and Ghost Recon. Only complaint so far is I wish there was a way to assign a certain button to bring up the map. Going through the menu interface is cumbersome. 

Unless I am missing something, there is no way to reduce Weapon Mod weight (you can with consumables) and that really sucks cuz they are all have a pound. Like, I don't think they should weigh anything in the first place like with lock picks and weapon parts. 

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't get the mass effect comparisons.

I dunno, it might be the fact that it's an RPG set in space where you take your ragtag crew that you gather from around the galaxy (2 at a time, using a party select screen right out of Mass Effect, they love exchanging banter on elevators and you can slow time and make them use abilities as you level them up) with your snarky ship AI and visit different planets and listen to wacky vendors on what might as well be the Citadel.

Pretty tough to say, really.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't get the mass effect comparisons.

Literally cuz you have companions on a space ship that sometimes offer their 2 cents and talk to each other and you can only take two of them out of with you at at time. Also, EDI ADA. However you can not romance any of them and I swear the made the character everyone would want to romance an asexual lesbian just to spite anyone who wanted romance. 

13 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I dunno, it might be the fact that it's an RPG set in space where you take your ragtag crew that you gather from around the galaxy (2 at a time, using a party select screen right out of Mass Effect, they love exchanging banter on elevators and you can slow time and make them use abilities as you level them up) with your snarky ship AI and visit different planets and listen to wacky vendors on what might as well be the Citadel.

Pretty tough to say, really.

I haven't gotten that far!

Also, I hate companions in Fallout games. I didn't even know there were such things as companions in Fallout 3 right before I beat the game. So, I did everything solo. And this game basically does everything it can to make you use companions to the point where it feels like I am missing out if I don't take them. Like, if they were full Bioware companions then I wouldn't have minded, but you can't really build any kind of relationship. They are half-friend/half-subordinate the entire time and with that, and with what I am going to say next, makes them a bad mix of Fallout and Mass Effect companions. The companions all have their own personal quests, but they are only used to learn about that character and it doesn't really change your relationship with them. As this is by the people who made New Vegas and I am sure each character will have various endings depending on what happened. Like, how in New Vegas you can sell Arcade Gannon into slavery. What I mean is that I am sure you can change your half-friend/half-subordinate relationship for the worse, but you can't advance past that. You aren't going to be seeing Garrus levels of Brohood with companions like these. 

So, this game wants you to care about the companions more than you would in a Fallout game, but less than in Mass Effect. You can kick them off your ship at anytime as well, which creates that distance that makes them barely more than a subordinate. I just wish they would have went all-in in one direction. Instead they made them insanely useful but with little reason for the play to get attached to them outside of that. I wish they were full Fallout so I could basically abandon them and have my grand solo adventure. While that is what I prefer, I would have zero issues if they went full BioWare/Mass Effect.