The Outer Worlds - Information Thread, update - "Spacer's Choice Edition" announced for $60 ($10 if you already own base game + both DLC expansions)

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And I'm saying I'd rather you not have third.

Well, you are wrong. I just want third person when I am not in combat. Doesn't really matter how shitty it is. I mean, I played the CoD third person game modes all the time. Shit was fun. 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Since MS owns Obsidian now I wouldn’t worry much about the giving money to the devs thing. They will be watching gamepass subs and downloads just as closely as full purchases.

Also you can play now on Xbox if you are using game pass and set your console to New Zealand.

Not to mention the EGS exclusivity means they got paid anyway.

Played for about an hour or so, until you get to the first town so my impressions will be limited.

I'd say the game runs very well, no jankyness or hitches. Tearing is bad so make sure you turn on vsync. It looks good for the most part. The characters look slightly better than a Bethesda game character. It would be nice to see developers take the next step and have these people look like people.

Character creation, appearance wise, is a bit limited. You've only got a handful of faces so you can't customize the whole thing. You can just take a premade face and then give it a long nose or something. :p I was disappointed initially with the selection because they look ugly when you're making them but when you get to the game and see the character in your inventory they look way better.

People were ragging on the combat it seems but I didn't take issue with it, the game runs well enough that it all seems to work. I guess the biggest issue I would have is that you have to level up your stealth skill high enough to do stealth attacks.

I chose to play on normal but the hardest difficulty sounds intriguing, you have to eat and drink and all these other restrictions.

?

Why does every game need a Glados now?

Here's an amazing screenshot!

Spoiler

Outer.jpg

25 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Played for about an hour or so, until you get to the first town so my impressions will be limited.

I'd say the game runs very well, no jankyness or hitches. Tearing is bad so make sure you turn on vsync. It looks good for the most part. The characters look slightly better than a Bethesda game character. It would be nice to see developers take the next step and have these people look like people.

Character creation, appearance wise, is a bit limited. You've only got a handful of faces so you can't customize the whole thing. You can just take a premade face and then give it a long nose or something. :p I was disappointed initially with the selection because they look ugly when you're making them but when you get to the game and see the character in your inventory they look way better.

People were ragging on the combat it seems but I didn't take issue with it, the game runs well enough that it all seems to work. I guess the biggest issue I would have is that you have to level up your stealth skill high enough to do stealth attacks.

I chose to play on normal but the hardest difficulty sounds intriguing, you have to eat and drink and all these other restrictions.

?

Why does every game need a Glados now?

Will it run on my 5 year old shit-ass laptop? And if it won't, will you buy me a new one?

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I can't believe the aiming/turning speed is tied to frame rate. This isn't 1992.

Other than that, loving the game!

I’m more upset with putting all “special effects” into one setting (other than motion blur) because I’d like to turn off that chromatic aberration.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That just means you made some choices you’re ashamed with. I like to see my helmetless face in all RPGs :sun:

Nah, my dude looks fine enough.

b134afeab9b0bf2dc04e9b9554982f28.png

A bit generic white hero, but I am fine with that.  I only go helmetless if there are cutscenes that show my character. 

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

This game certainly seems OK so far. Still waiting for it to turn into something special.

It's special because it's a fallout game from the makers of the best fallout game and doesn't run like butt. If you're expecting more than that then you should probably check out now.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I’m more upset with putting all “special effects” into one setting (other than motion blur) because I’d like to turn off that chromatic aberration.

Are you on Windows Store version or EGS? In both cases you can modify a .ini to remove CA, as well as mouse acceleration, if that annoys you.

If Windows Store Version:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Open Engine.ini

Add at bottom:

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

For mouse acceleration:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Open Input.ini with any text editor (it may be completely empty, that's okay)

Enter this:

[Engine.PlayerInput]
bEnableMouseSmoothing=false

For EGS version, the files are located in AppData\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor, but same rules.

:dab:

• Thanks 1

More graphics .ini tweaks here: https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/comments/dmq2fj/pc_disable_that_pesky_taa_and_dof/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=6fe390459914426c9e428de47d5c164d&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=dmq2fj

EDIT - Make sure to add [SystemSettings] above these settings, eg:

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1
r.MipMapLodBias=-1
r.ViewDistanceScale=5
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.25
foliage.LODDistanceScale=5

• Thanks 1

I only got to starter town last night but the combat is fine. It's basically Modern FPS Fallout combat which I understand is suddenly over a decade old now but it's perfectly fine combat. It's just not revolutionary or anything. But it's certainly not terrible or something you deal with to experience the rest of the game. 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's special because it's a fallout game from the makers of the best fallout game and doesn't run like butt. If you're expecting more than that then you should probably check out now.

I've found the performance to be pretty spotty given the (blurry as hell) visual quality, actually. You'd think a game with these smaller zones and... antiquated visuals would run without a hitch. But boy does it hitch. It's good to know we're awarding the word "special" to something whose description we end with "if you're expecting more than that, then..." though. Pretty cool. Marching ever onward towards pretty much what we got a decade ago. Woo.

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I've found the performance to be pretty spotty given the (blurry as hell) visual quality, actually. You'd think a game with these smaller zones and... antiquated visuals would run without a hitch. But boy does it hitch. It's good to know we're awarding the word "special" to something whose description we end with "if you're expecting more than that, then..." though. Pretty cool. Marching ever onward towards pretty much what we got a decade ago. Woo.

No hitches for me. Your computer needs to git gud!

50 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Thanks for all this!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No hitches for me. Your computer needs to git gud!

It's mostly when you get near big settlements, it's not terrible or anything but it still feels like a game that should be running absolutely flawlessly for how relatively simple it looks.
Anyway, capping the framerate in game seems to help out a bit, so at least that's an option.

One thing I do really like is the companion abilities. I heard Jeff talking about how he just uses them whenever on Normal since it's so easy, but on Supernova they have been indispensable. They can interrupt enemy attacks, act as crowd control, protect other companions, just buy you time, etc. Plus, since they work instantly, they're effectively player abilities, so they're also satisfying to use. Just tap the button and it happens. Makes keeping my companions alive feel all the more important.