Sign in to follow this  
SFLUFAN

General Gaming The Outer Worlds (Obsidian's Firefly-inspired RPG) - Information Thread, update - reviews from OpenCrtic posted

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Try killing their leader... I'm willing to bet the whole town will start shooting you on sight. 

Well at this point everyone in the town other than the leader went back to Edgewater, and you even get one of them to open a workbench station (not all that helpful but hey it's something) for doing his quest. Would be curious if they all suddenly turn on you if you still go back and kill the leader. 

5 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Well at this point everyone in the town other than the leader went back to Edgewater, and you even get one of them to open a workbench station (not all that helpful but hey it's something) for doing his quest. Would be curious if they all suddenly turn on you if you still go back and kill the leader. 

It probably won't matter at this point.

I can't really dispute any of the knocks against this game, but I'm enjoying it. I'm playing a pretty boring build that's focusing on guns, speech, and tech skills. At this point I probably won't do a second playthrough, but if I do, it'll be with a Dumb character that rolls solo and only does melee. 

15 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I can't really dispute any of the knocks against this game, but I'm enjoying it. I'm playing a pretty boring build that's focusing on guns, speech, and tech skills. At this point I probably won't do a second playthrough, but if I do, it'll be with a Dumb character that rolls solo and only does melee. 

So second play through you’ll literally be playing as yourself?

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

So second play through you’ll literally be playing as yourself?

Play to your strengths, that's what I say. 

Well, I noticed I was close to getting 1000/1000 so I did a quick 4 hour session and beat it on supernova getting the achievements I missed. In 4 hours I got to level fucking 20. Game gives out WAY too much exp. I basically just killed NPC's when I could to advance quests faster. What is BS tho is that getting the secret/joke ending doesn't actually count as beating the game despite the credits rolling. Didn't make anything harder, just longer. Now I really never ever have a reason to play this game and I never will!

I'm finding the game  a chore to play, not sure how much more of a chance I'll give it, which sucks because I was super excited when MS acquired Obsidian. So far I've gotten the first two story achievements where you make your big choice between the corporations and the little guy fighting them, and of course in both instances they turn out to be dicks too. It's like Far Cry 4 without the crazy over the top villian to keep entertained that I oddly sympathize more with than any of the heroes. I ended up killing both those tools at the end of FC4 and letting the bad guy escape since both endings were fucked no matter who you worked for. This "both sides" BS is just making me want to kill everyone and just go do whatever. I'd probably have more fun that way. 

39 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Props to the people who find the game pretty mediocre to bad and complete the entire thing lol. 

I mean, who else is better to tell you that a game is bad than a person who did everything the game has to offer? 

16 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, who else is better to tell you that a game is bad than a person who did everything the game has to offer? 

Good on you. 

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Props to the people who find the game pretty mediocre to bad and complete the entire thing lol. 

They're doing god's work.

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I believe if people start a bad game they should have to finish it as punishment for playing a bad game

I will say this. Fallout just feels like shit to play. Like holly shit, I reinstalled Fallout 4 and controlling your character just feels fucking bad. Like it feels so slow and janky. It feels like the entire game just doesn't want you to play it. TOW at least feels like it really wants to be played. 

Putting more hours into this than I have an RPG in a long time. On the last world now, but distracted by Iron Banner, lol

The more I play this, the more I’m seeing how limited their budget must have been. 

The story stuff is good, I think. The way people were talking about the game, you’d think the entire way through NPCs will be shilling company lines and the “joke” will be the same, but it’s really only that first area where it’s like that, and that actually sets up a major plot point that becomes clearer the more you play. I think this game is worth playing based on the story and side stories alone. 

But man, after that it really is lacking. The weapons are pretty lackluster in design and fun in using them. This game made me realize that I actually really do managing inventory in Fallout, repairing stuff and whatnot. And speaking of fallout, it seems obsidian included stuff that’s in fallout games almost in an obligatory way. Like, there is very little reason to use sneak, or lock pick, or a number of other skills, because it just doesn’t matter. It feels extremely tacked on. 

You would think the worlds being more one off things rather than one big place would allow them to pack them full of character, uhhhh charactERs, and personality. I find the worlds, other than maybe groundbreaker, to be quite lifeless and dull in design. Again, even like the pip boy with the great music typically had by the fallout series or the talk radio that reacts to what you do goes a long way to make those games real, and this just doesn’t do that for me. 

To be fair, obsidian warned us that this is not an open, sprawling game like fallout. But that being the case I just don’t know why they then made it a fallout game in almost every other respect, just not as good. 

I like the game, I’m going to finish it. But it made me reinstall fallout 4 last night and honestly I think that game is severely underrated, and I’m gonna start a game of that and play through the DLC I never got to. 

It definitely feels like a once-through type of game...but that once through is memorable and enjoyable.

14 minutes ago, ARZ said:

It definitely feels like a once-through type of game...but that once through is memorable and enjoyable.

Outer Worlds and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order are neck and neck for mediocre game of the year 

Just played this at a friends house and whew what a nice change of pace.  I honestly was worried I'd be spending the rest of my year playing Death Stranding 5 minutes at a time(cause that's as far as I can get before falling asleep).  Then I got home and cleaned out my garage and realized I actually enjoyed it!  So I was gonna light Death Stranding on fire but now I think i'm gonna keep it so I can play it for a few minutes before doing unbelievably monotonous house hold chores in order to make the chores actually seem fun!!!

23 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Just played this at a friends house and whew what a nice change of pace.  I honestly was worried I'd be spending the rest of my year playing Death Stranding 5 minutes at a time(cause that's as far as I can get before falling asleep).  Then I got home and cleaned out my garage and realized I actually enjoyed it!  So I was gonna light Death Stranding on fire but now I think i'm gonna keep it so I can play it for a few minutes before doing unbelievably monotonous house hold chores in order to make the chores actually seem fun!!!

George Lucas called........he wants his license back from EA.  

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

Not his anymore though...

Ahhhhhhhhh, that would explain the giant frogs and lizards. 

9 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Jabba had a giant frog in his palace so....

Maybe for the next Star Wars game they can ask Kojima to make it. That way you’ll know it’ll be great. 

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

Outer Worlds and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order are neck and neck for mediocre game of the year 

Dude, what happened to you? This is just sad.

3 minutes ago, ARZ said:

Dude, what happened to you? This is just sad.

Sad? How so? Expressing my opinions on mediocre games is sad? 

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Sad? How so? Expressing my opinions on mediocre games is sad? 

Sad because you get on people about hating on a game without playing it, but that's all you've been doing since SW landed. Does peoples dislike of Death Stranding bother you t hat much?

27 minutes ago, ARZ said:

Sad because you get on people about hating on a game without playing it, but that's all you've been doing since SW landed. Does peoples dislike of Death Stranding bother you t hat much?

So I just wanna make sure I understand correctly. It’s okay when other people did it in the Death Stranding thread but not okay when I do it to a game you like? 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

So I just wanna make sure I understand correctly. It’s okay when other people did it in the Death Stranding thread but not okay when I do it to a game you like? 

No, it's not ok there either. Just seems beaten to death at this point.

I thought you liked Star Wars. Shouldn't you be happy it's reviewing well and people are enjoying it?

1 hour ago, ARZ said:

No, it's not ok there either. Just seems beaten to death at this point.

I thought you liked Star Wars. Shouldn't you be happy it's reviewing well and people are enjoying it?

I love Star Wars. But I’m sorry this game is not good. 🤷‍♀️

Greetings fellow spacers,

We want to let you all know that our Patch 1.1.1.0 has been released for all platforms!

Resolved Issues for Patch 1.1.1.0:

The game crashing at a specific point when the player has reached Tartarus has been resolved

Toggle to increase the font size (found in the UI tab under Settings). Increases font for conversation text, cinematic subtitles, bark subtitles, and terminal text.

Players will no longer experience muffled sounds when playing on the PlayStation 4

The Prismatic Hammer has been rebalanced.

Foliage on the Xbox One now has parity with the foliage on PlayStation 4

Various quest fixes made including "Radio Free Monarch"

The achievement/trophy for "It's Not the Best Choice" will pop correctly

Existing Botched companion quests will have their status reset to Active allowing the player to add them to a party when leaving the ship in order to un-botch the quests, unless the death occurred prior to unlocking the companion quest.

Kinda a nothingburger patch.

It still doesn't fix the game not launching at 4k and having to switch it back.

The large text is barely larger and it's only for dialogue, NPC  text is still small. Also the dialogue is still confined to a box that would fit a 4:3 screen. Can we make it wider?

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Kinda a nothingburger patch.

It still doesn't fix the game not launching at 4k and having to switch it back.

The large text is barely larger and it's only for dialogue, NPC  text is still small. Also the dialogue is still confined to a box that would fit a 4:3 screen. Can we make it wider?

Hey don’t shoot the messenger. lol