The Outer Worlds - Information Thread, update - "Spacer's Choice Edition" announced for $60 ($10 if you already own base game + both DLC expansions)

Where ‘The Outer Worlds' gets its sense of humor (Engadget)

In The Outer Worlds, there are specially bred swine called "cystypigs." You find them in a factory farm near Fallbrook, a smuggler's town on a distant planet. Maybe you climbed through the sewers and emerged face to ass with one, or entered through the front door for a sweeping view of their pens. But there they are: swine coated in bulbous, meaty tumors that swell up, drop off and are ground and canned to be sold commercially as "boarst wurst." As one in-game ad says: "You haven't tried the worst until you've tried boarst wurst."

Obsidian's The Outer Worlds Sure Feels Like A Lot Like New Vegas In Space (GameCrate) - @cusideabelincoln :p

At least from what we've seen so far, The Outer Worlds doesn't offer the gleaming future of Destiny or the tongue-in-cheek chaos of Borderlands. It has a sense of humor, but also seems ready to tackle serious issues of power and wealth - just like Fallout: New Vegas did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In The Outer Worlds, the best weapon is being able to lie about everything (PC Gamer)

A lot of games have extra-difficult ways to play: you can finish Deus Ex without killing anyone, sneak through Dishonored without ever once being detected, and play Thief with absolutely zero combat. Earlier this month Phil and I each played about 90 minutes of The Outer Worlds, Obsidian Entertainment's upcoming first-person RPG, and I can already predict the toughest way to complete it:  By making it through the entire game without ever telling a lie.

44 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I’m looking forward to this but I kinda do wish it was more chunky with content. I guess if the stuff that is there is really good stuff that could be cool to then be replay it a few times and make different decisions. 

I just checked the price on EGS and it's the usual $59.99.

Huh?  I could've sworn that the entire point was that this was going to have smaller content for a cheaper price?

Fallout with the locals: The Outer Worlds let me be an utter jerk, and I duly obliged (PCGamesN)

I can be whomever I want, go in whichever direction I see fit, kill anybody that suits me, and embody the role which excites me the most. Every decision feels neither wrong nor right, but mine. After mere moments with the game, it feels as if it’s moulding to my input, like dystopian clay. I may not spend as long on a single playthrough as the most grandiose of RPGs on PC but, in The Outer Worlds, I’ll be living numerous lives, each utterly unrecognisable to the last. Every unfamiliar horizon unexplored, dialogue dilemma posed, and perk point unspent yields further stories ready to be written, and I’ll be savouring each and every one of them.

The Outer Worlds Is Just As Screwed Up As Real Life (Kotaku)

The Outer Worlds doesn’t create something new out of whole cloth. It weaves familiar things from history and our current political issues together into something that allows you to understand yourself better. Even Heins said that he felt challenged by some of the points of view of different factions in the game, but the exercise of judging your reaction to differing viewpoints is what helps you form your own.

You can kill everyone in The Outer Worlds. It’s a development nightmare (Polygon)

The Outer Worlds is being made by the same minds behind the original Fallout games and Fallout: New Vegas. Those games, unlike the Fallout titles made by Bethesda Game Studios, allow players to kill every single living being. Whether you think this is a good or bad thing is up to you and your god, but there are certainly folks who enjoy that level of moral freedom in their video games.

The Outer Worlds is space cowboying which offers options all the way down (Rock, Paper, Shotgun)

It’s hard to know if the full game will be able to keep up the same density of surprises and options, but the preview for The Outer Worlds was options all the way down. Stacking options for easy storage and convenience. I can’t, hand on heart, say the broad strokes of The Outer Wilds are original. It’s quite an old-school style of RPG – but it’s one made with modern polish and, crucially, no one else is doing it or has done it for a while now. So yes. Good. Keep doing that.

How I wasted my hour with The Outer Worlds (Eurogamer)

The real question is how many of The Outer Worlds' quests are going to be as good as the one shown at E3: something I cannot answer in this preview. And while this may have brought my expectations down to earth, I somehow found myself wanting to explore the rest of The Outer Worlds - feeling instead that I'd only just scratched the surface.

The Outer Worlds Hands-On: You Should Tap the Brakes Slightly on the Hype for Obsidian's Space RPG, But Not for the Reasons You Think (USgamer)

I've been of the opinion that people should tap the brakes on The Outer Worlds hype for a little while now. It's not that I don't think it has a chance to be an excellent game⁠—everything I've seen suggests that it will very good. It's just tough to match the scope of a Bethesda open world game with a comparatively small team and budget like the one afforded Obsidian.

The Outer Worlds preview — The Fallout: New Vegas successor you've been waiting for (Windows Central)

Fallout: New Vegas fans will be pleased Outer Worlds manages to include the standout design mechanics from the older game while also adding new elements to keep it fresh. Having all of that alongside an eye-popping artstyle, varied and loose gameplay, and solid and plentiful environmental storytelling sets up Outer Worlds to be the appropriate New Vegas successor for Obsidian.

'The Outer Worlds' Feels Like the Fallout Game I've Always Wanted (Vice Games)

With that context, The Outer Worlds feels like a game made by… well, workers. That sounds like a silly thing to say—everything is made by workers—but the tone feels pointed and personal to a degree that feels refreshing for this scale of game. I want this in an RPG/action/shooter of the Fallout Variety. I want the big-budget game that lets me shoot or stealth around nasty factories, simultaneously tackling branding and marketing bullshit. I’m down for dialogue that never stops skewering the insanity of modern medical insurance.

The Outer Worlds swaps Fallout’s post-apocalypse for art deco in space (The Verge)

For all of the emphasis on choice, the Fallout influences are also still pretty heavy. There’s a time-slowdown mechanic that allows players to specifically target areas on enemies, which is basically Fallout’s VATS system. There’s a variety of factions — corporations, in The Outer World’s future — that are at odds with each other that players can help out or antagonize. There are companions that you can recruit who’ll join you on your journey and comment along the way. While the art deco stylings help set The Outer Worlds apart, it can only do so much to differentiate the gameplay.

The Outer Worlds makes even being a failed pig murderer fun (GamesRadar+)

I still have a lingering sense of guilt I had to leave the demo before I finished the search for Nyoka's lost friends. The few hours I spent in the game just weren't enough, dammit. Playing a demo of The Outer Worlds is like trying to dance in someone else's shoes. Sure, you're feeling the beat and enjoying the party - but there's no escaping the fact you wouldn't have chosen bright yellow suede loafers a size too small. The last time I felt like that? Playing a demo of Skyrim for the first time. I can't wait to get lost in The Outer Worlds on my own terms, and with my own renegade but ultimately charming and well intentioned firearms expert.

The Outer Worlds hands-on preview – Fallout’s funnier cousin, now with improved V.A.T.S. (VG247)

I just witnessed something absurdly violent and strangely comical in The Outer Worlds. In a weird way, it reminds me of The Wizard of Oz. An X-rated version. It seems the game wants me to say, ‘I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore’?

• 5 weeks later...