Microsoft Flight Simulator OT - The Sky is Calling, update: Flight Simulator 2024 announced

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Easy gamepass download. Not sure how much time I'll end up spending in the game, but it's a compelling piece of software just to check out. 

I think it's a law that everyone who downloads this has to attempt to fly over where they live and see if they can spot their house.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

The pre-load is up on GamePass PC... 152.4gb

I cleaned out all my spare space on my ssd and am 7 gb short. Considering getting another ssd since I can install so few games on my 256 gb one anyway. 

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

I wonder how popular the 10 DVD physical release will be 😂

I'm not going to lie, I want it. 

Game Information

Game Title: Microsoft Flight Simulator

Platforms:

• PC (Aug 18, 2020)

Developer: Asobo Studio

Publisher: Xbox Game Studios

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 93 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

AusGamers - 10 / 10

In 2020, Microsoft Flight Simulator leverages technology that feels as much of our current place and time as it does the immediate and distant future.

Gamerheadquarters - 10 / 10

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a once in a lifetime gaming experience, it’s incredibly detailed while being beyond the scope of anything that has come before it.

GamingTrend - 100 / 100

There is nothing out there like Microsoft Flight Simulator. It delivers the entire world in unrivaled quality, combined with pinpoint precise controls and realism at a level that is unmatched. If you want a taste of the sky, this game is virtual perfection, and if you are learning to fly in the real world, nothing will reinforce what you've already learned more than Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Gert Lush Gaming - 10 / 10

Microsoft deserves a lot of credit for what has been achieved here, gamers take note as it might be a long time until we see this sort of innovation again. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is not for the enthusiasts anymore, it’s for everybody.

Guardian - 5 / 5 stars

From craggy snow-topped mountain ranges to swooping desert valleys to bustling cities, the landscape is alive with detail.

IGN - 10 / 10

Unparalleled realism and an entire planet to explore makes Microsoft Flight Simulator a simulation like no other.

Press Start - 10 / 10

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a game that you have to play to understand just how incredible of an experience it is. It's an incomparable adventure that consistently surprises and delights. The game provides you with all the tools necessary to conquer the unthinkable task of flying the plane. Asobo has laid an incredible platform that will provide hours upon hours of joy for both casual gamers and flight experts alike, and it's only upwards from here.

Saving Content - 5 / 5 stars

Flight Simulator at launch is only the beginning, as it’s set to be a game that evolves and grows over time rather than being a static product. If this was all the game would be, it’s great as-is. No matter whether you buy it, or download it via Game Pass, you’re getting the best flight simulator to-date. Microsoft Flight Simulator soars to new heights, and has easily been worth the the fourteen year wait.

Total Gaming Network - 5 / 5 stars

Microsoft Flight Simulator is an absolutely wonderful gameplay experience. There is just something undeniably magical about flying around and seeing sights that you may have only read about in a book or seen online. With so many of us still in quarantine and self-isolation, there has never been a more perfect time for this level of escapism.

VG247 - 5 / 5 stars

It’s a technical achievement and an excellent training aid, but it’s also a brilliant piece of escapism, transcending its purpose as a tool to become something far more widely enjoyable – and I can’t recommend it enough.

Wccftech - 10 / 10

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a marvelous use of technology to create one of the most wonderful and spectacular looking games I've ever played.

PowerUp! - 9.8 / 10

There's near-limitless gameplay potential in Microsoft Flight Simulator and there's simply no denying how magnificent it is.

COGconnected - 95 / 100

I truly wonder what will come next for Flight. Whether this simulator becomes a new defacto standard for this technology, or if Microsoft will take this marriage of game engine with satellite and real time data into something even richer as an experience. For now, I’m enjoying flying from LAX, seeing my brother’s neighborhood in Newport Beach, and heading southward to Maui to see the Road to Hana again.

XboxEra - 9.5 / 10

This is not a particularly forgiving game, and for folks out there that want to see just how good it can look on your screen at home, you may find yourself unable to penetrate the heart of the simulation that lies under this beautifully crafted fuselage. And that’s okay – not every game can be made for every player out there.

There’s an enormous amount of enjoyment to be had in just exploring, and that speaks to me in a way not a lot of games have over the years. Cruising at 30,000 feet with the hum of the engine, the rattle of turbulence and the world below me, available in a way it never has been is absolutely worth sending a postcard home about.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 9.3 / 10

It's simply amazing.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9.3 / 10

A masterpiece, but above that a way to reach for the sky for all those people who would love to fly but can't. Microsoft Flight Simulator is a wonderful  gift to flight sim lovers worldwide.

Spaziogames - Italian - 9.3 / 10

Microsoft Flight Simulator is the much awaited Microsoft Flight Simulator X's heir, built on a base that is both technologically futuristic and solid content-wise

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.2 / 10

Impressive use of proprietary Microsoft's maps and AI technologies aside, Flight Simulator is outstanding for the sheer amount of freedom we are given and how far it pushes our spirit of exploration. Sim fans will have a lot to chew on, and newcomers will love the "simcade" feeling offered by the customizable assist system. It's also on Xbox Game Pass, so go get it.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

Microsoft Flight Simulator is an absolute must for flight sim fans, but anyone with the even the slightest bit of an explorer's nature will be sure to enjoy as well.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9 / 10

“Microsoft Flight Simulator lets pilots fly around the world to essentially anywhere they want…  innovative and mind-blowing.“

DASHGAMER.com - 9 / 10

It's seamless yet comprehensive style only challenges other titles to raise their quality in standards. It's a franchise re-invigorated, and has laid a path to build a concrete legacy going forward with other titles in its category, sure to follow. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, is a must play.

DualShockers - 9 / 10

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 not only offered me a breathtakingly immersive experience, but it also helped with my fear of flying.

Game Revolution - 4.5 / 5 stars

Asobo Studio has created something truly impressive with Flight Simulator 2020.

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10

If you are an experienced pilot and already have X-Plane with premium paid content, you won't upgrade to Microsoft Flight Simulator. Well, not right away. Because if we can find problems with Asobo's baby, none of them is insoluble and will undoubtedly see improvements to strive even more towards perfection. As it stands, Flight Simulator is already a benchmark platform that will undoubtedly establish itself as the civil flight simulation of the decade. Checkmate.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

Severe performance issues aside, Microsoft Flight Simulator is a spectacular game which manages to nail the simulation mechanics with mind-blowing visuals.

PC Invasion - 9 / 10

Microsoft Flight Simulator is by all means the most complete out-of-the-box package that out of any flight sim ever. It's advancements have pushed the genre as a whole to an entirely new standard with the promise of ongoing support solidifying its rank as the defacto flight sim for the years to come. While it has its quirks, this really is "As real as it gets".

Shacknews - 9 / 10

With everyone looking to the upcoming consoles to provide the next-generation experience, don’t let this one slip off your radar.

Stevivor - 9 / 10

Long story short, make Microsoft Flight Simulator whatever you want it to be — it can handle it.

TrueAchievements - 4.5 / 5 stars

Asobo Studio has created something special with Microsoft Flight Simulator

TrustedReviews - 4.5 / 5 stars

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a triumphantly ambitious venture which pushes the boundaries of photorealism in the gaming medium. It requires a lot of horsepower and the support of Azure technology to accomplish such a feat, but these barriers are washed away when you're staring down at endless cities and thick jungles from thousands of feet in the air. It's breathtaking, and I hope it brings such simulators further into the mainstream.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

An absolutely amazing return to form for the series

Daily Star - 4 / 5 stars

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a massive generational leap from its predecessor, and every time I play the game I’m blown away by just how good it looks. From a completely simulated physics system with wind, weather and more, to highly detailed aircraft and airports, it’s truly something worth checking out.

TechRaptor - 8 / 10

Microsoft Flight Simulator is back with gorgeous graphics and even more beautiful planes to look at. Returning players will be pleased to see how many enhancements have been made while the tutorial and assist modes give an entry point to even a novice flyer.

ACG - Buy

An amazing achievement, even if it has some turbulence along the way

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Loved

A glimpse of what the next-gen games can look like with a game that's more like an imersive virtual experience that let's you travel across the entire world.

Eurogamer - Essential

A technical marvel, as well as an education and exploration of the joys of flight.

"Hmm, you weren't really supposed to land there. At this point, I think it's probably best we start the lesson over."

The tutorial lady is awfully condescending.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

How’s the performance?

I haven't done a deep dive into the settings yet, but on a 1080/old Ryzen system I'm getting perfectly fine performance on the recommended high settings. Rumor has it you basically can't run the game at 4k ultra 60 fps with current hardware, but I would say I'm pleased with the performance so far, especially considering I haven't tweaked anything. 

The loading times are rough, although my installation is split across a HDD and SSD for whatever reason.