Microsoft Flight Simulator OT - The Sky is Calling, update: Flight Simulator 2024 announced

Coming 2020, Microsoft Flight Simulator is the next generation of one of the most beloved simulation franchises. From light planes to wide-body jets, fly highly detailed and stunning aircraft in an incredibly realistic world. Create your flight plan and fly anywhere on the planet. Enjoy flying day or night and face realistic, challenging weather conditions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

The last one i played had a 300 page manual from what i remember which was 2000 version i believe.

Assuming I don't have to read a really long manual and can just fly around decently easy I would love to play this.

I also think this would be an awesome game for VR.

On 6/10/2019 at 2:20 AM, Nokt said:

Assuming I don't have to read a really long manual and can just fly around decently easy I would love to play this.

I also think this would be an awesome game for VR.

If it lives up to the name you will. 

I remember IL-2's manuel having a detailed guide to level and dive bombing and having to read it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The sky is calling in the next generation of Microsoft Flight Simulator. Available August 18, 2020.

Travel the world and experience over 2 million cities and expansive environments from mountains down to roads, trees, rivers, animals, traffic, and more. From light planes to wide-body jets, test your piloting skills and experience the challenges of night flying, real-time atmospheric simulation and live weather in a dynamic and living world.

Pre-Order on Windows 10 or Pre-Install with Xbox Game Pass for PC Now.

• 3 weeks later...

How Flight Simulator delivers maximum fidelity visuals (Digital Foundry)

Microsoft's Flight Simulator is every bit as spectacular as we hoped it would be. Footage released to date has highlighted its almost photo-realistic approach to rendering - and yes, the game fully delivers there - but what's more difficult to illustrate is the unprecedented detail level from the macro to the micro level, on a literally global scale. This is one vision for the next generation of graphics: it looks incredible but at a price: be prepared for daunting PC system requirements to deliver anything close to 60 frames per second on its highest quality presets. Flight Simulator will run relatively well on the hardware of today, but it's designed to scale onto the PC components of the future.

I played the new Microsoft Flight Simulator for a week and I can't believe it's real (PC Gamer)

You can go anywhere in the world in Microsoft Flight Simulator. You rotate a 3D globe, find somewhere you want to fly, click on it, and after a loading break, you're there—either on the runway ready for takeoff, or in the air in mid-flight. Hong Kong, the Grand Canyon, Chernobyl, the French Alps, Hawaii, the tiny town you grew up in, the city where your office is. Anywhere you can think of, it's all there, and it all looks stunningly realistic. I don't know how they pulled this off, but it's an incredible technical and artistic achievement.

Well, I know a little about how they did it. Microsoft Flight Simulator uses satellite scans of the planet, courtesy of Bing Maps, which an algorithm then turns into a convincing 3D game world. I'm sure this is a gross oversimplification, but that's the basic idea. Get really close to the ground—closer than you ever would playing the game normally—and it's clear what you're looking at is satellite data. But from the air it is, in a very literal sense, photorealistic. That term is used too freely these days, but at certain times of day, when the weather and light are just so, it really is like watching footage of a real flight.

EAygco4YqohhNgPr8CVKDL.jpg

x8QM8M9LEhCoTfBUgeZMQP.jpg

3j32NRfpTsx45YQunA5QiS.jpg

QB6MSqAVfeFXrA5XZngGEW.jpg

Se4W2qDYWihgk6caBwvS7a.jpg

qGPShpD4aPtg3cVwdB2b6e.jpg

qZGLTUU38xAtqdREaoFHj.jpg

CSHymRyD9KRfaBgUC75MPh.jpg

W8d2WFZnxQchHZewbfLb2m.jpg

2yXEjnYHfDoZ8bmTUwFZK7.jpg

tbya86g2SyivYAcR5D6JDB.jpg

KvEmTdaRZduVgmsxTCgqkJ.jpg

Flight Simulator hands-on: Microsoft looks different 20,000 feet in the air (ArsTechnica)

And I like that there are enough other similarly striking locales in MSFS to replicate this experience for a lot of pilots around the world—though clearly not all of them, not while Asobo is still building out the promise of a full planet to fly over. MSFS won't be everyone's cup of high-flying tea, but it's absolutely the best thing to ever happen to Microsoft's Bing and Azure divisions, in terms of a PR coup. This is a gorgeous proof-of-concept of how an authentic physics system, a top-to-bottom feed of weather and navigation data, and a mother lode of global imaging and mapping can deliver an exhilarating, one-of-a-kind experience—especially while many of us are stuck at home, wishing we could get away.

I really thought Google would beat everyone to the punch with a product of this scale. Instead, it's Microsoft—and they did it while respecting consumer-friendly options like an open third-party marketplace, easy access via Xbox Game Pass, Steam as an immediate option, and simple-to-toggle bandwidth limits. I don't fully recognize this Microsoft, but up here, 20,000 feet above the world, I like what I see.

How Microsoft Flight Simulator Returned to the Skies (The Verge)

Microsoft Flight Simulator can’t please everyone. There will undoubtedly be die-hard members of the flight sim community who find that certain things are missing, while others new to the idea might find it overwhelming. But what Microsoft is shipping from day one looks like it will be an incredible technical achievement, one with a central idea so compelling that it should be easy to appreciate the release for what it is.

And this is only the first step. “When I pitched this product, the thing that Phil [Spencer] said to me was, ‘Hey, Jorg, if we go in, we’re going to stay in,’” Neumann says. “We know we can’t just go make a product and boogie and do something else. That is not how this works. We’re taking on a responsibility here for a hobby, and people trust us and we know that. It is our oldest franchise in the company. It is older than Windows and Office. It has a special place.”

“I often struggle with finding the right words — I think there is sort of an intrinsic human desire to fly. I don’t know if it’s flight or if it’s the perspective change, I don’t know what it is, but it’s something like that. There’s something really special about seeing initially where you live from a different perspective, and then going other places. It has nothing to do with the simulation, even. I can show it to my daughters. My dad is 91. Almost everybody can relate to it because it’s real. It is so close to feeling real.”

Microsoft Flight Simulator is nothing short of astounding (VG 24/7)

There’s much else to talk about and look at in flight simulator as I get access to more of the game and for longer nearer to release. But in a time that few of us can hop on a flight and cross the world, Microsoft Flight Simulator feels pretty perfectly timed – and its canny use of new technologies work to easily make it a worthy and brilliant successor to its genre-defining predecessors.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a once-in-a-generation wow moment (Eurogamer)

If you've ever been lucky enough to fly yourself, you'll know that rush you get when you're first given control and you realise that not only is the act of flying yourself as exhilarating as you'd hoped, it's actually not all that difficult to grasp. Flying in Microsoft Flight Simulator is freeing and fun, and perfectly possible without an encyclopedic knowledge of aviation law and a PhD in aerospace engineering. I've even guided a Boeing 747 into the skies from Heathrow with nothing more than an Xbox controller - and at a certain point, it's possible to just engage the autopilot, kick back and enjoy the flight. If you feel bold enough to land there are prompts, assists and racing-line-style virtual overlays to help bring you safely to ground.

There's even the lightest throughline provided by way of a flight school and missions in the shape of landing challenges and bush trials that have you navigating your way through the wilderness. Or you could play it as the sandbox Microsoft Flight Simulator has always intended to be. Take whatever plane takes your fancy, spin the globe and take off from anywhere in the world - maybe somewhere you've always dreamed of visiting, or maybe somewhere a bit more local so you can get the new sense of home that flight gifts you. And then, you ask yourself - where next?

Microsoft Flight Simulator pulls off an amazing trick, mostly (Polygon)

But that same ease of use and diversity in the game’s smaller planes puts players up against the weird incongruities of its landscape. Luckily, Microsoft Flight Simulator includes an entire other world — the clouds. The game’s true volumetric clouds are an absolute joy to explore. And that’s in part because they’re not real. While the game pulls real-world weather data in real time, in part to allow pilots to practice flying where they live, the minutiae of each weather system is procedurally generated. The developers say they have the world divided into 2 million boxes — roughly 100 square miles each — where each box is running its own simulation of the weather in real time.

I’m no real-world pilot, but I’ve looked at the sky for about 40 years now. I’m here to tell you: These clouds look damn good.

Flight Simulator 2020 is as much a zen masterpiece as it is a hardcore sim (GamesRadar+)

I really hope, despite the fact Flight Simulator is launching in beta on August 18, that the majority of these early access quirks can be fixed in good time. The patience it can require to get to the eventual reward could mean many miss out on the real treats the game has to offer. 

Hopefully, bugs squashed, everyone who wants to find a slice of peace will get to experience this phenomenal achievement. Oddly enough, despite the series' history, this feels like a Flight Simulator title everyone can enjoy. Graphically gorgeous, controls that are accessible but ramp up to ultimate hardcore, and a whole world to fly across. There's something here for everyone – if you can get it flying without encountering any turbulence.

Playing 'Flight Simulator' at home feels like meditation (Engadget)

Hummm. 

That sound has been playing on a quiet loop at the base of my brain for the past few days, propping up all of my other thoughts with soothing white noise. It’s the background tone of Microsoft Flight Simulator, which I’ve been playing in preview ahead of its full launch on August 18th. The sound is subtle, buzzy and distinctly mechanical, and it reminds me of traveling. Mostly it evokes those calm moments on an airplane, in between the stress of boarding and deplaning, when all you can do is sit as your body is flung over the planet and on to new adventures. With global travel restrictions in place for yet another day, I find myself craving that small, strange bubble of peace. I miss that sound. 

• Like 1