Wasteland 3 - Information Thread, update: "Cult of the Holy Detonation" DLC to release on October 5

@SFLUFAN

I think we should be using platform (manufacturer) tags for exclusives or platform-centric showcases IMO.  Microsoft is blurring the lines a little bit, admittedly.  There might need to be some give and take for them.

... It just feels wrong for this game though.  Not only because it's historically a PC franchise, but because like The Outer Worlds, its still slated for PS4.  Was even crowdfunded that way on FIG.

EDIT: Thanks

I want to go through all these CRPG's that have been consolized but at least for this game my old ass can't read all the damn text on the screen from my couch. Hopefully this will be better with that. Or my old ass just needs to finally breakdown and get some glasses. 

Wasteland 3 is a prettier, more polished post-apocalypse (Polygon)

Wasteland 3 looks like a snowier, sleeker, and more substantial version of its five-year-old predecessor, Wasteland 2. I played a slice of the game earlier this week — based on a demo sent out to backers who helped crowdfund the game — and enjoyed the various tweaks and additions that have been added to the series’ team-based role-playing formula. This game’s budget, according to developer InXile, is three times larger than the last game.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Release postponed to 28 August 2020

As with most companies, we moved to a work-from-home environment some weeks ago, and that’s of course introduced new challenges that many of us throughout the world have been learning to manage. We’ve been excited to see the Wasteland 3 Beta so well received, but the reality is that with these new logistical challenges our release was going to be impacted.

We’re in a great position with both Microsoft and Deep Silver supporting our desire to ensure the game launches in the best possible circumstances, and to add a few extra months to ensure this is a stellar product on day one. With that, Wasteland 3’s new release date is August 28, 2020.

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2019 at 9:18 AM, Dodger said:

I want to go through all these CRPG's that have been consolized but at least for this game my old ass can't read all the damn text on the screen from my couch. Hopefully this will be better with that. Or my old ass just needs to finally breakdown and get some glasses. 

I know, I downloaded wasteland 2 from PC Gamepass and was unable to read the text at all, was very frustrating. I'm also playing on my Couch on my 65 inch 4k Tv. Even on a monitor it would've been tough! Sucks as I always wanted to play these games and never have . . .

• 2 months later...

Game Information

Game Title: Wasteland 3

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Aug 28, 2020)
  • PC (Aug 28, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Aug 28, 2020)

Developer: inXile Entertainment

Publisher: Deep Silver

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 85 average - 98% recommended

Critic Reviews

Saving Content - 5 / 5 stars

It took me a while to realize how much these interactions, whether it be the interpersonal conversation or combat encounters themselves, stuck with me. Wasteland 3 has rules, but they only exist for you to bend them. With limitless character creation combinations, branching dialogue choices that affect what quests you do or don’t experience, and multiple endings, Wasteland 3 is an expanse of content and opportunity. The change in locale does wonders, no longer relying on a tired post-apocalyptic biome. Wasteland 3 has a wonderful backdrop in Colorado’s frozen wastes, making it the perfect place to spend a nuclear winter.

Windows Central - 5 / 5 stars

Wasteland 3 is a testament to the power of the branching narrative, taking it far beyond binary choices and into a grand canopy of cause and effect. It gives the wintry climbs of Colorado a lifelike quality that must have been painstaking to build. The most impressive RPG in years, Wasteland 3 is a masterpiece.

PowerUp! - 9.7 / 10

If you’re an RPG fan, a Fallout fan or even just a videogame fan, do yourself a favour and play one of this year’s very best games; Wasteland 3.

XboxEra - 9.7 / 10

Wasteland 3 shines with clear dedication to crafting the best game its genre has ever seen. Excellent visuals are matched by top notch voice work and some of the best and most natural writing I have seen in a video game not made by Naughty Dog. The combat is a brutal dance where one wrong move can spell disaster, but victory is an exhilarating rush that never becomes old. Wasteland 3 cements inXile as one of the best in the business in the RPG genre and affirms that Xbox has something truly special on their hands.

33bits - Spanish - 95 / 100

After the excellent Wasteland 2, we were excited to get our hands on the new installment, and we can say without fear that it has met expectations. Wasteland 3 is a sign of the love that InXile has for his work and Brian Fargo for the genre that has created a name for him. If you are a lover of the saga or the genre, do not hesitate to enjoy it.

GamingTrend - 95 / 100

Wasteland 3 is one of the best RPGs around. The world is fantastic, the characters are interesting, it is packed with content, and combat is engaging. It has a few issues, but the game is just too good for them to distract me.

God is a Geek - 9.5 / 10

Wasteland 3 is a huge undertaking, marrying deep, choice-driven role play with fast-paced tactical combat and vast areas to explore.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

Wasteland 3 is one of the best RPGs I've played in years, and it's one you absolutely should not skip.

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

Wasteland 3 is a lovely return to the post nuclear apocalypse with fun gameplay and interesting choices at its forefront, though at times it can be a bit clumsy in its implementation.

COGconnected - 90 / 100

Wasteland 3 doesn’t pull any punches with its subject matter in sexuality, violence, and language. But if you are fine with that, I would highly recommend you give Wasteland 3 a shot, especially if you were (or still are) a Fallout fan.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9 / 10

Wasteland 3 does an amazing job of keeping players invested in its world through its writing, sound, and visuals. When it comes to world-building and characters, Wasteland 3 leaves its predecessors in the Wasteland franchise in the dust.

DualShockers - 9 / 10

Improving on its predecessor in almost every way, Wasteland 3 is one of the best and most reactive RPGs I've played in a long time.

GameCrate - 9 / 10

Wasteland 3 is an outstanding RPG. It features a rich world with fun battles, great characters, and plenty of choices to keep you busy for a very long time. This is a best-in-class game that achieves what it sets out to accomplish. Players who opt to take the deep dive into the game's awesome end-of-the-world landscape are in for something spectacular.

GameSkinny - 9 / 10 stars

Wasteland 3 invokes feelings of classic RPGs such as Fallout and manages to nail the feel and tone perfectly in a modernized setting.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

Wasteland 3 is a meticulously crafted RPG with a world that you’ll truly want to throw yourself into.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

Wasteland 3 is a heady crescendo of post-apocalyptic story-telling. Its combat is compelling and fun while its characters and overall plot are engrossing, even when it goes to some dark places. A must-play for tactical RPG fans.

Gert Lush Gaming - 9 / 10

Wasteland 3 is the defacto strategy experience and one that every gamer owes themself the pleasure of playing.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

Wasteland is back and better than ever with all new settings, narratives and gameplay, but with that same wacky flavor the franchise is known for.

PCGamesN - 9 / 10

Lurid characters, a deep RPG system, and captivating combat set in an unhinged apocalypse - inXile Entertainment's latest shouldn't be missed.

Paste Magazine - 9 / 10

Every choice you make, from dialogue options to money management, gives the feeling that you really are in a wasteland, just trying to get by.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

If you’re a big fan of the original Wasteland games, or just an RPG fan in general, then I highly recommend picking up Wasteland 3 and giving it a try.

WayTooManyGames - 9 / 10

All in all, this is the game I wanted so badly for Wasteland 2 to be. It doesn’t just repeat what came before, but expands upon it all. Not just mechanically, but story wise as well.

Wccftech - 9 / 10

Wasteland 3 features everything only the best role-playing games do: an engaging story powered by excellent writing, compelling characters, tons of customization options, and a deep tactical combat system that feels fresh even after dozens of hours. But, most of all, it features a living world that reacts to what the player does, and changes depending on how the player decides to deal with the troubles ahead, providing a role-playing experience of the highest degree, one that very few games can boast of.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.8 / 10

On Paper Wasteland 3 sounds like the perfect RPG-Dream but the execution leaves much to be desired. Bugs, Glitches and graphics that doesn't really represent a game that releases and the end of this console generation are a bit of a letdown. Everything else from the great story, entertaining NPCs, solid battle system, clever leveldesign over to the love for details is amazing, besides some flaws that should soon be fixed, as inXile and Brian Fargo promise. Everyone that wasn't happy with the latest Fallout Games will surely love Wasteland 3.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.7 / 10

Wasteland 3 is a good role-playing game, technically passable but enriched by a dense network of intriguing subplots that will push the most dedicated to play it several times. Watch out for the ever-present release bugs, though – best to wait a couple patches if you want to avoid unnecessary hurdles.

Cram-Gaming - 8.5 / 10

Wasteland 3 can be a bit of slog if you're gunning for marathon gaming sessions with it at the helm. Combat, whilst exciting initially can fall into the traps of repetition. A little more variety could have negated some of the repeated player actions.  That said, the story is compelling and the characters an interesting assortment of misfit survivors, although perhaps fitting post-apocalyptic stereotypes.  It's a fun, easy to play game overall though that should well-please fans of the series and keep players entertained for quite some time with its high replay-value. However, aside from some bugs here and there, the impressive amount of voice-work on offer, the character building is the best part of the experience where you can really nurture your ranger squad in this snowy post-apocalyptic world.

Game Informer - 8.5 / 10

The world is yours to shape and form however you choose. While a bit rough around the edges, the exploration and discovery entertainment is top-notch.

GameWatcher - 8.5 / 10

A fantastic RPG that superbly mixes player choice and great combat to something bigger than the sum of its parts.

PC Invasion - 8.5 / 10

There are a few misgivings related to Wasteland 3's technical aspects, mechanics, and overall challenge. However, its cast of characters (both old and new), the switch to a traditional turn-based combat system, and branching paths filled with decisions and dire consequences make for a superb journey with the Desert Rangers.

PC Gamer - 84 / 100

A wilfully strange setting explored through a predictable but enjoyable old school RPG thats been streamlined just enough.

Fextralife - 8.3 / 10

Wasteland 3 is a throwback to the old School RPGs of yesteryear, while providing a new combat experience and a bigger world. Players that liked previous Fallout Games, or games like Wasteland 2 or Baldur's Gate will feel right at home with this title, and will have the opportunity to try X-Com like combat. For the amount of content provided, 60 USD is a very good price, and fans of the genre should get more than their money's worth.

GAMES.CH - German - 83 / 100

Wasteland 3 is absolutely worth the money - the RPG brings dozens of

hours of fun gameplay to the table.  A must-buy for roleplayers.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Wasteland 3 doesn't change its predecessor's successful formula but, outside of certain design limitations, it perfects and modernizes it. It's easily the best game in the franchise, in terms of pure technique, and one that clearly gives you an idea of what inXile is able to achieve.

Digital Trends - 4 / 5 stars

Wasteland 3 is a rewarding game that offers unprecedented choice and is a great jumping on point for new players.

Game Revolution - 4 / 5 stars

Wasteland 3 is a marvel of a game, especially from a small studio like inExile. It’s not without its flaws, but the excellent writing and enthralling world overshadow those.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

Wasteland 3 doesn't bring much new to the table, both as a CRPG and as a piece of post-apocalyptic fiction. But, it's a terrifically executed role-playing game that rewards player investment from beginning to end.

IGN - 8 / 10

Choices with major consequences, satisfying combat, and a boldly distinctive and humorous post-apocalyptic world make Wasteland 3 a memorable RPG.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Wasteland 3 knows how to open to new players keeping the old school essence. It's not a revolution on the genre or in the post apocaliptic proposal, but it won't matter to the franchise lovers.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5 stars

Wasteland 3 takes players to a new location and presents them with equally unfamiliar challenges, yet still perfectly demonstrates all of the reasons why this series has had die-hard fans for over three decades, and is absolutely worth playing for anyone looking for their next post-apocalyptic fix.

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

Wasteland 3 is a solid tactical RPG that will keep fans of the genre entertained for hours upon hours. But it doesn't do enough to bring the genre forward to a mainstream audience.

Niche Gamer - 3.5 / 10

We’ll update this review if the game is fixed, and the issues outlined are fixed or at least addressed; and then I’ll pick it back up. As it stands now, I’ll be playing something else that isn’t as apt to crash. Buyer beware.

ACG - Buy

Chicas Gamers - Spanish - Unscored

Wasteland 3 is a old-school role-playing game, with a compelling story, a combat system that promises but is not groundbreaking and some funny moments and black mood, which always remind us that we are in a post apocalyptic world, but with a smile. Don't forget the powerful character editor, rhythm voices, and the beautiful scenery that puts you in that atmosphere of cold and snowy Colorado.

EGM - Unscored

At least in my time with it, Wasteland 3 has been a fascinating experience. I’ve come to appreciate its depth of gameplay, character, building, and exploration, even if some of its pieces and parts still feel very foreign to me.

Entertainium - Unscored

I will be even happier with Wasteland 3 once it’s patched and most of the bugs that bit me end up getting squashed. Even in its current state I’m having a grand ol’ time bringing some justice to the cold depths where no Ranger has dared to before. But for as much of a blast as I’m having out northeast in the cold, I hope I can make it back to sunny Arizona in time to save my fellow lawmen!

Eurogamer - Recommended

inXile's old-school RPG is the Fallout game we've been craving.

Player2.net.au - A or higher

With a focus on freedom of choice that is second-to-none,  Wasteland 3 has set the benchmark for CRPG narratives, all the while being supported by wonderfully engaging gameplay and roleplaying mechanics.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

If I have to fight through listless combat, buggy UI, and an onslaught of juvenile gags to see one of the many endings, I’d rather leave the snowfields of Colorado behind. To hell with the consequences.

I played for about 3 hours today on pc and loved it. Plopped on the couch just now and fired up the Xbox... And found out this is not a play anywhere title so the saves don't follow you. 

What a bummer. Hope they patch that in. Life is better when everything works the way its supposed to. 

2 hours ago, number305 said:

I played for about 3 hours today on pc and loved it. Plopped on the couch just now and fired up the Xbox... And found out this is not a play anywhere title so the saves don't follow you. 

What a bummer. Hope they patch that in. Life is better when everything works the way its supposed to. 

Not play anywhere, odd.  Wasteland 2 transfers my saves from PC to Xbox.