Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (02/21): "Shadow of the Erdtree" expansion to release on June 21 ($40 Standard/$50 Deluxe)

Steam Store page is live:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1628200851
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

THE NEW FANTASY ACTION RPG. Rise, Tarnished, and be guided by grace to brandish the power of the Elden Ring and become an Elden Lord in the Lands Between.

Also, VaatiVidya has made a couple more videos about the bloody trailer and the game's website :p

• Like 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elden Ring (21 January 2022) - Information Thread, update: Steam Store page is live
  • 3 weeks later...
ELDENRING_24_4K.jpg.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

The developer’s vast new open-world game offers new levels of player choice

The core combat will likely feel familiar to Dark Souls players (slow and calculating), but FromSoftware is also borrowing from the faster-paced elements from Bloodborne and Sekiro. Players can dash out of harm’s way and whittle down an enemy’s stance to deal critical damage — not quite the guaranteed kill of a deathblow from Sekiro, but deadly nonetheless, Kitao said. There’s also a new combat mechanic (Guard Counter), that will let players quickly respond after blocking at the expense of stamina. Kitao said that Guard Counter is separate from parrying, which will return from Dark Souls.

There will be other familiar elements from FromSoftware games past: fast travel via Elden Ring’s equivalent of bonfires (Sites of Lost Light); a young maiden who will help them level up and learn new skills (her name is Melina); a hub world where friends and allies met in the fields will congregate; and fragmented storytelling that will let the player interpret the events and history of this world. It will also be, in the FromSoftware tradition, a challenging game. The developer may encapsulate that best in its own description of Elden Ring: “a good, old-fashioned RPG.”

elden-ring-blogroll-1630024709388.jpg?wi
WWW.IGN.COM

After a 15 minute hands-off gameplay session, we finally know a bit of what to expect from From Software’s latest Soulsborne game.

Going back to the theme of player choice, all throughout the presentation I was reminded at just how much freedom and choice was offered to the player. The freedom to go in any direction right from the start in the open field; the freedom to engage or not engage the passive roaming enemies; the choice of whether to run or fight when the dragon swooped down; the choice of stealth or reckless violence when attacking the enemy camp; and the choice of whether to go through the main or side entrance in the Legacy Dungeon. None of this is all that new in the world of open-world RPGs, but in a From Software action RPG, it’s certainly an unprecedented level of choice, on top of the already existing customization of builds, weapons, and magic.

Q6XZDMHZ3ZB6DL75VRQCLMMNMM.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

FromSoftware gave press an inside look at the game's dungeons, character customization, fast travel and more.

In “Elden Ring,” the spiritual successor to the Dark Souls series, players will be given a powerful weapon: freedom of choice.

“We tried to give as much freedom as possible to exploration of the world,” FromSoftware spokesman Yasahiro Kitao said. “While we’re still in the process of testing and figuring out the final playtime, we feel this is going to vary quite widely from player to player depending on what sort of route they take through the world and what they find.”

3872467-eldenring.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

From Software is bringing the best of Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro to its new game.

That's not to say it'll be as straightforward a tale as Sekiro. George R.R. Martin's involvement all but guarantees that. The Song of Ice and Fire author laid the foundation for Elden Ring's mythos, creating characters, rivalries, political intrigue, corrupted lineages, and more. And From Software has built upon this foundation with its own brand of storytelling. According to Kitao, not all of Martin's work is represented in the final game, in some cases, characters he created aren't in the game, but their place within the history of the world is represented. This is the kind of thing that will no doubt serve as fodder for the obsessive Soulsborne community to dig into.

My biggest takeaway from the short gameplay demo I saw is that, yes, Elden Ring is an open-world game, but not the kind that I've become thoroughly exhausted by in recent years. It doesn't seem like we'll be going through the motions of repeating three kinds of side-mission in between moving from one designated main story point to the other, and occasionally being distracted by some sort of meaningless trinket to collect. Based on the little I saw, there's a deliberate nature to its design; a focus on a rewarding sense of exploration and discovery, and content that's curated to ensure that the experience as a whole is faithful to the design philosophy and general vibe of From Software games.

0c46eccb-7a86-4e6b-803d-ffb74a893f64-ELD
WWW.USATODAY.COM

Elden Ring is scheduled to launch on Jan. 21, 2022. USA TODAY recently watched the game in action. Here's everything we have learned.

We've seen Elden Ring up close and in action - here's the complete breakdown (Eurogamer)

It seems like Elden Ring is a more welcoming world all around - one that isn't out to kill the player at literally any given moment, at least. From says, "part of the design process for this game meant creating a world that was fun and interesting to explore and to voyage through. As a point of comparison, while Sekiro was more action-oriented, both in terms of the world and the gameplay mechanics, Elden Ring is an RPG first and foremost. Part of being a role-playing game is, you're not always focused on action and combat - sometimes you want to just travel, and sometimes you want to just explore and appreciate the world around you. And that comes into our world with the beautiful vistas and the time of day changes, which will create a lot of nice moments for the player as they journey through the Lands Between."

Don't think for a second that Elden Ring has gone soft on you though - this is a From Software game through and through from what I've seen, and despite this demo leaving me with more questions than ever before, I cannot wait to get my hands on the game come January.

ELDENRING_25.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

A taste ahead of next year’s launch.

One thing that hasn’t changed: Elden Ring still has the inventive and often horrifying monsters for which From games are known. During a brief gameplay video I witnessed gigantic dragons, a troll that look ripped from Attack on Titan, an unsettlingly stretchy snake-man, and a boss that looked like a whole bunch of dead bodies smushed together. At one point there was a giant bird with swords in its talons, tossing explosive barrels at the player. According to Kitao, the variety and creativity of From’s creature designs comes in part from the studio’s process

y5VoHYous5u2trpRvxydkT-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Stabbing a dragon in the eye while on horseback, using sleep arrows, and other new tidbits.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elden Ring (21 January 2022) - Information Thread, update: multiple new press hands-off previews posted

Man, theres some games that are planning on launching early next year that really need to be delayed because they are great games that are going to get lost in a sudden flood of great games. Sifu a few days before Horizon: Forbidden West. Saints Row.

And this. Wow. If your game is around this, take a long step back.

I'm just glad it doesn't come out this year. I really want to play Elex 2, but if they hit their launch window it will be out around the same time FFXIV Endwalker comes out and that takes priority. When I saw Halo's date I knew I wouldn't be playing that anytime soon. 

• 1 month later...
hAyAVzPoe4CbLc4yFJG89C-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

FromSoftware has been mum since August, but a few new tidbits come from TGS.

With Elden Ring releasing on January 21 next year, FromSoftware has been keeping relatively quiet since the last previews in August. Producer Yasuhiro Kitao gave a few brief comments to Famitsu during Tokyo Game Show, though, and reaffirmed that Elden Ring is in the "final stages of development" and that FromSoftware is "moving forward quietly."

Via an automatic translation posted to the Elden Ring subreddit, we've got just a few more tidbits of information about the game and how it'll shake up the FromSoftware formula. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elden Ring (21 January 2022) - Information Thread, update: producer says the game is in "final stages of development" and does not contain "errand quests"
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

The movement and the jumping looked absolutely terrible in that. What the hell? It was all slidey and the jump looked super awkward. I know From sucks at jumping, but that looks straight up early access.

just looks like some sekiro shit to me

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Maybe so. Nothing about Sekiro sticks out in my mind one way or another so I couldn't really say. I do recall the jump having more of an... animation, though.

I kinda get what you mean, but I thing From doesn't know what to do with the arms since you can have more than one style of weapon including two-handing a weapon. So we get this moon skipping animation. 

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That looked pretty awful in all regards. I have high hopes for this game but that looked like an early build of some sort.

Looked fine to me. It's a last gen game after all. It looks just as good as Dark Souls 3. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That looked pretty awful in all regards. I have high hopes for this game but that looked like an early build of some sort.

I was kind of thinking that but thought I might be being too negative. Stripped of its pedigree I bet most people would say it looked like some sort of sad Dark Souls clone.

That doesn't mean I think it will be, the actual trailers looked awesome. Just some rough footage.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

Looked fine to me. It's a last gen game after all. It looks just as good as Dark Souls 3. 

I guess...

11 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I was kind of thinking that but thought I might be being too negative. Stripped of its pedigree I bet most people would say it looked like some sort of sad Dark Souls clone.

That doesn't mean I think it will be, the actual trailers looked awesome. Just some rough footage.

I'll mark it up as 27 seconds of rough footage. I hope it turns out awesome!

WWW.ELDENRING.COM

YOUR GAMING WORLD. GET CONNECTED. Visit our web site to learn the latest news about your favorite games. Tekken, Dark Souls, Dragonball, Naruto, Pac-Man and much more. Sign Up today and join the next generation of entertainment.

ELDEN RING – Closed Network Test Announcement

Also thought the game looked pretty rough in that small snippet there. The jump does look like Sekiro...which looks really weird in context because it's a dude with armor and a heavy sword flying ten feet high instead. I do think it's some early/test/whatever footage though as well. There don't seem to be enemies or anything and the grass and trees almost look semi-placeholder-ish even compared to From's usual environmental assets. 

I really haven't been excited about any of the footage shown so far so I think I might just be finally burnt out on the Souls formula. Still signed up for the network test just now though :dab2:

• Pikachu changed the title to Elden Ring (25 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: producer says the game is in "final stages of development" and does not contain "errand quests"