Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Information Thread, update: "Authority Pack Free DLCs" trailer

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (Pearl Harbor Day 2021) - Information Thread, update: Official Gameplay Trailer (8 minutes), 2 to 4-players co-op/60 FPS/ray tracing, various editions
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (Pearl Harbor Day 2021) - Information Thread, update: "Monsters" gameplay trailer
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (Pearl Harbor Day 2021) - Information Thread, update: "Nvidia RTX | DLSS Reveal Trailer"
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (Pearl Harbor Day 2021) - Information Thread, update: "Nvidia RTX | DLSS Reveal" and "Decide the Fate of the City" trailers
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (04 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: new 04 February 2022 release announced
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (04 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Dying 2 Know" Episodes 2 and 3, Developer AMAs 1 and 2, Audio Stories 1 and 2
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (04 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: Switch (cloud-based) version announced
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (04 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: : "Dying 2 Know: Episode 4"
  • 1 month later...

More hands-on previews:

oaNtfc6UpLiyDZ8SWwFcfW-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Techland's zombie survival simulator is set to land in 2022 with real momentum behind it

Dying Light 2's magic is in its momentum. Techland may have spent the better part of three years pulling focus onto the malleable open world it has engineered, where a choice can have sweeping consequences on the shape of the space around you, but the real draw is its movement. The kinetic sense of speed you are able to generate while piloting Aiden Caldwell, a survivor in search of his sister, around the decaying ruins of The City. 

I spent four hours playing a near-final build of Dying Light 2 ahead of its new released date of February 4, 2022. While I was supposed to be pushing through the story, settling boundary disputes between three warring factions – the Peacekeepers, Survivors, and Renegades – I could quite happily have spent that time (and more) exploring. And by that, I mean clambering up ledges and bounding across rooftops; shifting effortlessly from a sprint into a wall run, using slides to maintain breakneck momentum with little disruption. A mistimed leap may lead to a dizzying plummet, though the infected that amble throughout the streets are always there to break your fall. The destination be damned, The City is a world you'll want to spend time moving around in.

PWMWuujp5aVhtWAVPAyCed-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Our first hands-on was a good time, except for when Dying Light 2 rolled out the Walking Dead melodrama.

The best decision I made in four hours with Dying Light 2 was helping a guy electrocute a goat. It wasn't quite what he was going for—this wannabe inventor was trying to create an electric fence and accidentally ended up barbecuing the town goat he hoped to keep safe. But it worked out for me, because I unlocked a weapon mod that let me add stunning electrical damage to my medieval mace. I pulled that mace out for every tough fight over the next two hours and absolutely decimated bosses and the strongest zombies I came across. 

Dying Light 2 is a good time. It's been a long time coming: the first Dying Light came out in 2015, and this one was originally meant to be finished in 2020. From what I've played, there's still a lot of polishing left to do, but the action and parkour that defined Dying Light are both here, and both nice and weighty. I left convinced that I could play through Dying Light 2's whole campaign without tiring of smashing in zombie brains or taking running leaps between rooftops. 

I can't say the same for Dying Light 2's story, unfortunately. Despite an ambitious promise to make your decisions impact the path you take through Dying Light 2 and how the world changes around you, the writing and acting for those story beats feel like they belong to a game from a half decade ago that hasn't aged particularly well.

dropkick.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

The exhilirating combat and traversal of 2015’s Dying Light is supported with more RPG elements

What I saw in my three hours last week was not necessarily taut or compact, but it also felt a lot more integrated, and purposeful, than the first Dying Light. In hindsight, that 2015 work seemed mainly to establish that parkour and melee could work and be fun with a first-person camera, and then appended zombie-survival elements and plot points to it.

That does not mean Dying Light 2 appears to reject its heritage, or disown the weaker parts of its predecessor. Instead it buttresses the city environment, the role-playing choices, and the side-mission support. And it feels like, having nailed that core gameplay loop so early in this new IP’s history, Techland has been able to direct all of its attention to the supporting features that will make people want to master their newfound, exciting skills.

corruptor.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We spent hours in the bleak world of Dying Light 2 Stay Human and have multiple key takeaways.

Dying Light 2 has been one of my most anticipated games of the year for, well, three years now. It all started in 2019 when I saw a beyond-impressive gameplay demo at E3. The game, then scheduled for a 2020 release, blew away my already-high expectations. I enjoyed the original Dying Light, but felt that with a little bit of iteration and polish, the series could evolve into something truly special. Those hopes were delivered upon during that E3 2019 demo, and Dying Light 2 skyrocketed up my list of the most anticipated games of 2020.

Sadly, in the early stages of last year, Techland announced a delay to 2021. Then, after announcing a December 2021 release date, the developer delayed the game one (hopefully) final time, with the title now scheduled to release on February 4, 2022. It's been a long time coming, but more than two years after that initial gameplay demo impressed me, I finally got my hands on Dying Light 2 Stay Human. 

dying-light-2-preview-00-scaled-e1637057
BLOODY-DISGUSTING.COM

In building upon previous mechanics and providing a more personal story with impactful player choice, Dying Light 2 Stay Human offers a grim world with muc

A strong appeal for such games as Dying Light 2 Stay Human may be that of the infected-zombie monsters, but such games are far more interesting when there is human emotion at work. Though Techland would not comment much to avoid spoilers, they have expressed that that sub-heading – Stay Human – may mean more than just being infected. For whatever horrors lie ahead, I’m ready to venture forth and discover the dark secrets of the world. And while I did not get to try it out myself, the game will involve a multiplayer system, so that way you and your friends can battle the hells that await you within the City.

DyingLight2_Banditcamp_111621.jpg
WWW.DESTRUCTOID.COM

We went hands-on with a build of Dying Light 2. And though it has a few rough patches, its scale and world-building are pretty intriguing.

I’m still curious to see how the whole package of Dying Light 2 actually comes together. The pre-demo blast of story that got us up to speed for our slice of the game raised a lot of questions. And I’m really curious about how all these areas will be linking together, and what the long-term ramifications of choices will be. Some I made were small, like who gets to control a power substation. Others seemed much larger, with broader implications.

My main takeaway is that Dying Light 2 Stay Human certainly doesn’t feel like a retread. Old Villedor gave me a big slice of an improved blueprint, and Central Loop let me peer a bit into the new future. There’s some tuning to be done, but the world of Dying Light 2 definitely has my attention.

dyinglight2-screen-07.jpg
WWW.CNET.COM

We went hands-on with Dying Light 2 and survived to tell the tale.

The original Dying Light made waves for its clever blend of parkour-style action and survival gameplay in a city overrun by zombies. It was a massive hit upon its release in 2015, becoming one of the defining zombie games of the 2010s. The sequel, Dying Light 2: Stay Human, looks to not only build upon the foundations of a fast-paced survival action game but kick things up a notch by letting you decide the fate of one of humanity's last remaining cities.

It's been some time since we've seen such a substantial look at Dying Light 2. Techland, like many game developers, hit COVID-19 related snags in the making of this sequel, which itself is set during a global pandemic. That irony is not lost on the game's creators.

7fea49aec99f170ce05a5148271b42aa.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

Techland’s next big open-world zombie game is also filled with meaningful choices

While playing the preview, one of the PR people let me know that time was almost up. The four hours went fast, and I realized that I hadn’t even made it to the demo’s second area. I asked about that and was told a lot of people just get lost exploring and questing in the first area. Between the humans and their drama and all the loot to find, I get it. It’s very easy to lose yourself in the more human-focused world of Dying Light 2.

I’m excited to play more of Dying Light 2 when it (finally) comes out on February 4, 2022 for PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC. If the final game can keep the focus on humans and continue to provide big areas to explore and hard decisions to make, it might end up being really special, and more than just another zombie game. And God knows, we don’t need many more of those at this point.

dying-light-2-preview-3.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

A big game, with some big ideas. It’s not just more of the same Dying Light.

Dying Light 2, like its predecessor, knows that its setting is as much of a sell as its gameplay. The development team at Techland has moved on from Dying Light’s setting of Harran in a nuclear-powered ‘salt the earth’ parting blow, and has shifted focus to Villedor. You play as a stranger, Aiden, travelling to this once-majestic capital to locate his missing sister, and the second you step foot into its guarded walls you’re faced with a city kitbashed together from pieces of Paris, Berlin, Hamburg, Ostrow and other European landmarks. In Villedor proper – a city that’s been designed by actual town planners and urban designers – you see the scope of what Techland is going for. This is a big game, with some big ideas. It’s not just more of the same Dying Light.

That’s immediately noticeable if, contrary to your gaming instinct, you look up. The design team has been hard at work making sure the rooftops are knitted together with all the correct bits of visual language so it’s clear to you how to flow from roof to roof, avoiding the shambling undead underfoot. A reworked parkour system (which feels more fluid, and empowering) underpins a game that favours agility and poise over brute force and aggression.

Screenshot_view_DL2-1024x576.png?x72619
WWW.FANBYTE.COM

The upcoming title wants to talk about society more than it wants to talk about a virus, but the two concepts are inextricably linked.

“Well, the first obvious reason was COVID,” Dying Light 2 lead designer Tymon Smektala answered when I asked him why it has been delayed multiple times from its original 2020 release date. “I don’t want to use that as an excuse, but it’s the reality of the situation.”

The initial announcement for the upcoming action game, which debuted at Microsoft’s E3 2018 show via the now-largely-dissociated Chris Avellone, feels further away than it actually is. The following year, developer Techland held a demo off the show floor in a small theater in a side hallway, sharing a wall with fellow Polish developer CD Projekt Red and a new Cyberpunk 2077 demonstration that you could faintly hear in the Dying Light 2 waiting room. Over the week, journalist circles at E3 buzzed about how good the Dying Like 2 demo looked. Techland found themselves fielding more and more requests for last-minute attendees, including myself.

The first thing that really struck me about Dying Light 2 was its world. The original’s open world was a highlight due to how it was designed to be a playground for your parkour skills, but it was so grounded in reality that it really didn’t have a distinct visual style. That’s changed in Dying Light 2, which takes place 20 years after the collapse of society. Humanity has fallen back into a modern medieval period, and nowhere is that more apparent than the Bazaar, which serves as the primary safe zone in Old Villedor, the place where the bulk of my play session took place.

3906525-screenshot_dyinglight2_revenant.
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Techland's long-awaited sequel leans on genre juggernauts, but leaves its own mark too.

Along with these major inflection points, Dying Light 2 rounds out its story with more dialogue options, so even side missions and briefer interactions can change your course in some ways--it's not just about the major story beats. Things like an awesome glider that can open on demand, many more enemy types--especially among the zombies, and ample distractions via multi-colored mini-map markers signal that this is a game built on its own sturdy foundation, but with many of the tools of open-world predecessors. Dying Light didn't have a ton to do beyond the critical path, and though sandbox players have seen its new toys before, I can say as a fan of the series that I'm glad to see the sequel's world is filled in a lot more.

Dying Light 2 feels familiar, but not in a bad way. The additions, be they original or derivative, tend to feel like good fits for this world, and because the game's most special aspect, the parkour movement abilities, are clearly improved, it feels like Dying Light 2 is both a bigger and better sequel. Blatantly inspired by juggernauts such as The Witcher, Zelda, and Assassin's Creed in different parts, Dying Light 2 still feels like it will manage to leave its mark on the sandbox formula. With the fluidity of a fountain, the exciting parkour should prove to be its signature when Dying Light 2 launches next February.

dying-light-2-gameplay-downed.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Killing zombies is fun, but with Dying Light 2's parkour system I’d rather finesse my way past them

The combat feels a little sharper than in the first game, too, and there’s some superb smushing sounds when you crater an enemy’s face with a club. There are no guns in Dying Light 2, but I didn’t feel too helpless without them, as my electrified axe was more than enough to keep the zombies at bay, as long as I was careful to avoid being overwhelmed by large groups. Slashing away mindlessly isn’t the best way to approach a fight; after depleting an enemy’s stance meter, they can be staggered, allowing you to capitalise on their vulnerability.

As I gain combat experience, I unlock powerful new moves that allow me to take enemies down even faster.

Everything that made Dying Light fun has been improved on, but for me the real test will come when I can invite friends to join me. No matter how great the story is and how well written and acted the NPCs are, I’m looking for the emotional payoff from outpacing my screaming friends and leaving them to fall under a zombie avalanche as I glide gracefully into the night. And I’ll have to wait for the Dying Light 2 release date for that schadenfreudian delight.

dying-light-2-preview.jpeg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Dying Light 2 has an improved story, combat system, and traversal, but there's a lot of changes in the sequel that aren't necessarily improvements.

When I sat down to play Dying Light 2, I wanted to make a list of everything it had that the first game didn’t. Within the first 30 minutes, I had to stop trying to keep track of all the changes because there were just too many to count. I’m not surprised to see a lot of Dying Light’s core systems, like melee combat, parkour, and crafting, become more refined in the sequel, but I didn’t expect Techland to change so much - even aspects that I would have considered an essential part of the series’ DNA. Dying Light 2 takes things in a bold new narrative-focused direction that’s a lot closer to Fallout than Far Cry. It aims to be both more approachable and a deeper RPG than the original - competing design philosophies that felt mismatched more than once in my four hour preview session. I’m happy to see Techland expand its horizons, but I’m also concerned that it might be trying to do too much.

dying-light-2-interview.jpeg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Dying Light 2 lead game designer Tymon Smektała answered all of our questions about the sequel.

After spending four hours with Dying Light 2 last week, I met with lead game designer Tymon Smektała to ask him about some of the game's defining mechanics, returning features, and his philosophy about some of the sequel’s biggest changes. He also offered a definitive answer to whether or not Dying Light 2 is a strand game. Here’s everything you need to know about Dying Light 2, straight from one of the men who made it.

dying-light-2-preview.jpg
WWW.DUALSHOCKERS.COM

After a slightly turbulent development period which included a handful of delays, staff exits and a pandemic, Dying Light 2 is almost upon us. Launching in February 2022, the game is a follow up to 2015’s Dying Light and takes the beloved Parkour/Zombie formula from the first game into the next generation. Ahead of its <em>...</em>

Like the crazy combat, the day/night cycle returns from the original game, with the infected being more active, and dangerous, at night. However, while the night was always the most intimidating time in Dying Light, the day now feels just as perilous.

Of course, running around in the dark is terrifying, but as humanity becomes more desperate, the struggle has become more apparent. Dangerous factions patrol the street, guarding their turf and fighting anybody that dares step foot near them. Now, no matter what time it is, you can’t rest easy.

With the early 2022 release schedule, Dying Light 2 might face a bit of a tough time. It’s competing with the likes of Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring and many more.

That being said, from what I got to play, there’s a genuinely interesting world, heart-racing encounters and a deep story and mechanics that will appeal to Dying Light fans, both new and old.

123643.jpg
WWW.MMORPG.COM

Jason recently had the chance to check out the upcoming parkour RPG Dying Light 2: Stay Human at an event in San Francisco. Read on to learn more about the upcoming sequel to the first-parson zombie parkour game!

As I'm bashing my axe against this enemy's face, the adrenaline of combat races through me. I want to take this monster out and make the already brutal world of Dying Light 2: Stay Human a safer place. There are others like the one in front of me to deal with, but as long as I concentrate and don't get overwhelmed, I should be victorious. 

Oh, did I mention these are other survivors of this Infected-infested city?

I recently flew to San Francisco to play a four-hour demo of the upcoming Dying Light 2: Stay Human, a demo I couldn't see to completion thanks to its dense and branching content. All the while I was learning more about the dangerous world and what we will be doing within it.. While I expected to come in and bash some ghoulish brains out--and I did!--the real intrigue and more importantly danger of this world is not from the monsters outside, it's the ones within. Managing the living will be much more precarious than dealing with the dead. 

dying-light-2-combat.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Those looking for a real challenge can dial up the difficulty

The start of the first Dying Light game can be notoriously unforgiving, as you find yourself facing hordes of Infected without all the tools or skills needed to fend them off. But that’s not the case in the sequel, as Dying Light 2’s lead designer, Tymon Smektała, tells us in an interview ahead of the game’s launch next year.

“We got a lot of feedback from the first game, people saying, ‘Hey, it’s difficult to get into Dying Light’. Actually, that was on purpose,” Smektała explains, emphasising that players feeling “weak and defenceless” at the start of the game leads to a “feeling of empowerment” later on. “At some point they realise, ‘Hey, now I’m stronger, I can overcome those obstacles.’”

The progression in Dying Light 2 works differently, however. “It starts a little easier on regular difficulty, but we also have a difficulty dedicated to the hardcore fans of the first game – we call them ‘Harran survivors’… so if they want the same level of challenge, they will definitely get it.”

Dying Light 2 brings Techland's open world formula alive (Eurogamer)

What's really impressive about our time with Dying Light 2, though, is how Techland's made a world that's really rewarding to explore. The deeper story options make for a richer world, and a better sense of the catastrophe that unfolded beneath the rubble as well as the struggles of those still trying to piece that world together. It's got back some of that rough charm of Dead Island that wasn't such a big part of the original Dying Light, and it takes it to some interesting places too. It might be coming up to seven years since the original for Techland's follow-up to finally release, but if our hours with Dying Light 2 are any indication it's going to have been well worth the wait.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (04 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: : multiple hands-on previews posted
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (04 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: : "gold" status announced
40 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Sure was!

Hmmm hopefully the delay will serve it well then. Seems like they could have spoilt still made the December date though.

28 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Yea. I would be all over this if it was coming out in December. 

It’s my most anticipated game in December still. Gonna replay the first one before it comes out… I think I beat that game without ever using the grappling hook and I never beat the DLC.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (04 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: : "A Place to Call Home" quest gameplay and developer videos
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (04 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: Cinematic Trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dying Light 2: Stay Human (04 February 2022) - Information Thread, update: PC system requirements released