4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I just feel like we've heard a bunch of stories of EA studios being forced to use Frostbite despite all their objections. That, and Respawn had only used Source for their previous games, so I would have expected that if they did get to use an engine of their choice, they'd go with that.

When this game started development they weren't owned by EA yet, just partners, so they probably had freedom to use whatever engine they wanted. Who knows if that will change with their next game. If EA really wants Frostbite to be their premier in-house engine, hopefully DICE can make improvements to it so that it's open to more games that aren't first person shooters, and is easier to use. 

As for why Respawn didn't use Source, maybe because they liked something in the Source engine for multiplayer (netcode perhaps), and that's why they used it for Titanfall and Apex Legends, but since Jedi: Fallen Order is singleplayer they felt Unreal was better suited to it. 

I played for a few hours tonight. The game definitely feels a bit like a souls-lite game mixed with uncharted/tomb raider exploration. I’m playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty and I’m finding it a decent enough challenge that it’s not frustrating or rage inducing. 

the combat is a bit janky, esp in tight quarters. Trying to fight without being locked onto an enemy is terrible, even worse with multiple enemies. 

the story is cool and the characters have some personality. Game runs smooth for the most part on x1x. A little dip during cut scenes. It definitely looks pretty. 

I finished up the first world. About mid point there is an optional boss. Took a few tries early on but it’s basically a OHK if you get hit with the unblockable attack. 

Spoiler

Came back later after you complete the main story and there’s a way to do like 1/2 damage on him immediately. Then just clean up. It was pretty cool to find that. 

my biggest issue on the x1x is the load times after death can be like 30sec. It’s a PIA when you are trying to fight a hidden boss and die a few times and need to make your way back. I bought physical but it’s installed on my SSD. Still slow. 

overall though I’m enjoying the game. I don’t know if I’ll feel inclined to search every nook and cranny...but if the pacing stays consistent with the first world, i think it’ll be a fun ride. 

37 minutes ago, atom631 said:

my biggest issue on the x1x is the load times after death can be like 30sec. It’s a PIA when you are trying to fight a hidden boss and die a few times and need to make your way back. I bought physical but it’s installed on my SSD. Still slow. 

overall though I’m enjoying the game. I don’t know if I’ll feel inclined to search every nook and cranny...but if the pacing stays consistent with the first world, i think it’ll be a fun ride. 

yeah the load times after death are annoying. I'm about halfway through the 2nd world, I think, and I have to say while I think it's a fun game so far, it's not blowing my mind. Combat is indeed as many have said, kind of janky. And while I love having a saber...as Han would say 'hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side' Definitely would like to be able to take some of these bastards out long range! Based on what I've played thus far, I'd give it a 7. 

Finished up the the 2nd planet.  After doing the main story stuff, I tried to explore all the areas I now had access too, and it made the world feel really huge.  It took a long time to get around and explore everything, unlock all the short cuts, ect.  Ran into new enemy types.  I'm really digging the exploration.

Its a very good solid game, and for a Star Wars game, that's pretty damn good when you compare it to a lot of what we've gotten.  The combat definitely gets more and more fluid as you get more abilities.

Word of advice for people just starting:

Spoiler

Don’t go to Dathomir first. 

it’s definitely odd they give you this option when you make your way through a big chunk of the level, only to hit a roadblock that requires you to acquire a new skill to continue. I’ll now have to re-run the entire level. Also - doing it early on was a PIA. I left and went to 

Spoiler

Zeffo 

And it’s a much more enjoyable experience. 

also - the combat skill that allows you to sprint and hit x is OP...but I actually feel more like a Jedi with it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, atom631 said:

Word of advice for people just starting:

Reveal hidden contents

it’s definitely odd they give you this option when you make your way through a big chunk of the level, only to hit a roadblock that requires you to acquire a new skill to continue. I’ll now have to re-run the entire level. Also - doing it early on was a PIA. I left and went to 

Reveal hidden contents

And it’s a much more enjoyable experience. 

also - the combat skill that allows you to sprint and hit x is OP...but I actually feel more like a Jedi with it. 

Don't know how far you are yet but I haven't found an OP skill yet. Game isn't QUITE as tough as a Soulsborne game but it's pretty difficult. I'm playing on the next to hardets difficulty. Also I still haven't gone 

Spoiler

to Dathomir yet

I'm more interested building up force powers and exploring the planets I've been to already. I don't know if it's because it's Star Wars or what but exploring never gets old. They did a very good job with exploration and Environmental puzzles which remind me a lot of Tomb Raider's. I wouldn't mind seeing Respawn do a sequel where you get to play as a non-force user. I would love a third person star was game done in this style with a Han Solo/Bobba Fett- style gun shooting camera. 

• Shocked 1

41 minutes ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

Clearly most of you have played this game so your opinions are biased. I eagerly await Biggies' fair review; he watched videos!

Final conclusion: The game is a weak representation of the Star Wars universe. Game sux

Also I’ve literally played this game. It’s called Uncharted/Tomb Raider and both were better than SW. 😂

• Guillotine 1

25 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Shame about the console load times. As expected pretty instant on PC, hopefully next generation finally puts an end to long load times for everyone. Their tyrannical rule has gone on long enough.

Also shame about Biggie being literally insane.

The console load times after a death are pretty painful... not as bad as Control, but still pretty bad.

Backtracking to previous planets is definitely worth it.

Found some pretty cool things going back, and its fun uncovering the different hidden paths and secret areas of the old areas you now have access to.

I'm on PC so luckily load times are roughly 3 seconds after death.

If load times after death was 30 seconds, I'd prob turn down the difficulty.  I can get around most of the game just fine without dying much, but some of the mini boss's take me quite a few tries.  One thing I can't stand is the "slow motion" effect that happens when you get your XP/Health/Force back after you hit the guy that killed you.  Fighting a mini boss, almost every time that happens, I can't tell what attack the boss is doing, and then get 1 shot.  This game is all about timing, and that dumb slow motion thing throws off my timing for the start of the fight.

26 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I feel like the death loading is something they could patch. It makes no sense. 

i guess if you’re close to death and are able to, just throw yourself off a cliff. Faster load times, free health, no XP loss. 

You don't die when you fall off of a cliff. They just put you back where you were minus a little health. If you fall enough times, you WILL die and then your XP will be where you fell in a pool until you pick it up. This is because there's so many jumping puzzles, they give you a bunch of tries before you actually fail. That's why the loads are non existent. When you die from an enemy, everything respawns that you had cleared. Still doesn't excuse the long load times, but no, you won't cheat the system by killing yourself by jumping off of something when you're low on health.

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It really doesn’t excuse the long load times since I do not have to endure a long load time when I rest at a meditation spot. 

I agree I think they'll be able to patch it and reduce them significantly.  For a game like this, those long load times can really ruin the experience.  

Wow I wasn't expecting to love this as much as I do.  It's the perfect Star Wars game: the action, spectacle and sense of adventure of Uncharted, the exploration and satisfying game design of Metroid, and on top of all that there's Souls-esque lightsaber combat plus force powers.  It feels like an interactive Star Wars movie with production values that match the films and the controls have that Respawn touch of smoothness and responsiveness. Only on the second or third planet but its amazing so far.  Now I'm struggling trying out figure out if I should put Death Stranding on hold to play through this, or finish DS first with this to look forward to.

Man, I just completed the story part on Zeffo, and I had thought I explored rather heavily... turns out I’m 39% through the planet, with only half the chests opened, and only 2 of 14 secrets. :shock:

I think I’m going to stay on this planet for a while just exploring and getting better at combat. I’m playing on the default difficulty, and the combat is still challenging. 

Also, for anyone starting the game—scan everything. You get infinitely more XP from scanning than you do through combat. 

17 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

don't know about Control, haven't picked that one up yet, but yeah the load times for death stink, which makes no sense since respawn after fall is damn near instant

They're PAINFUL in Control... I timed one instance at damn near 90 seconds :| Another thing I've noticed about this game is the the platforming feels less forgiving than Uncharted or Tomb Raider. In those games you almost feel like you're sticking to handholds and stuff. THIS game you have to be a little more precise.

3 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Backtracking to previous planets is definitely worth it.

Is it only cosmetics? I really don’t care to go back just for a color change to the robot Or something. But if it’s another stimpack or life/force essence it would be worth it. 

2 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Man, I just completed the story part on Zeffo, and I had thought I explored rather heavily... turns out I’m 39% through the planet, with only half the chests opened, and only 2 of 14 secrets. :shock:

I think I’m going to stay on this planet for a while just exploring and getting better at combat. I’m playing on the default difficulty, and the combat is still challenging. 

Also, for anyone starting the game—scan everything. You get infinitely more XP from scanning than you do through combat. 

It’s amazing isn’t it? After I completed the story and they were like ok, head to the next place..I was like nah I wanna look around..... 3 hours later I was still discovering new shit. It’s absolutely amazing level design with so much depth and verticality. I got back to the ship figuring I saw most of the world and Im only at 48%. Lol. 

I'm really liking the game for the most part, but is there any kind of unlockables outside of customization? I have absolutely zero desire to customize my lightsaber or poncho. Would like some armor or upgrades or something practical for my efforts. Anything like that anywhere? I know there's stim packs, which is better than nothing, but I want like secret abilities and shit, that's my favorite.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm really liking the game for the most part, but is there any kind of unlockables outside of customization? I have absolutely zero desire to customize my lightsaber or poncho. Would like some armor or upgrades or something practical for my efforts. Anything like that anywhere? I know there's stim packs, which is better than nothing, but I want like secret abilities and shit, that's my favorite.

Don't know how far you are into the game but there are more abilities that you unlock...

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Don't know how far you are into the game but there are more abilities that you unlock...

I know there's abilities you can unlock as part of the story, that's fine and dandy. I mean as a reward for exploration, which so far has been lightsaber and poncho nonsense that I couldn't care less about. Maybe if they offered advantages, but it's literally like lightsaber handles and stuff that you can't even see during combat because your fucking hand is wrapped around the thing, only part that is actually noticeable is the color.

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yup. The scans. It’s all about the hidden scans. It levels you up at a ridiculously fast pace, so you can unlock more skills. 

I’m also curious how may stimpacks you can unlock. 

Yeah that's just bonus XP,  you get that from farming enemies as well, so I mean, it's fine, but is there anything I can find by exploring that I can't find elsewhere? Some of the scans do tell a pretty nice little story but I dunno, gimme a blaster or something! Or a lightsaber with a different moveset or something cool! You know, like when you go off the beaten path in Dark Souls and there's a new weapon or armor or any other item that has a practical function but that you also can't get unless you do the exploring.

1 minute ago, Emblazon said:

Yup. The scans. It’s all about the hidden scans. It levels you up at a ridiculously fast pace, so you can unlock more skills. 

I’m also curious how may stimpacks you can unlock. 

I literally just got my fourth. I've also found some upgrades for the droid that unlocks more abilities that aren't necessary to the story but give you more options in combat.