On 9/26/2019 at 11:29 PM, crispy4000 said:

Will it do the license justice?

I wonder if any SW game really can. 

I am am looking forward to this game. But I cannot help but feel it will suffer from some of the same issues Battle Front did in story.  

The story is tied to a time period we are so close to. They try to make it look like a meaningful entry in the saga, but it ultimately has no impact, nor expands the lore. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I wonder if any SW game really can. 

I am am looking forward to this game. But I cannot help but feel it will suffer from some of the same issues Battle Front did in story.  

The story is tied to a time period we are so close to. They try to make it look like a meaningful entry in the saga, but it ultimately has no impact, nor expands the lore. 

Is this story considered Canon?

• 2 weeks later...

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order hands-on: Tried, true, and tough

t's the cliché to end all clichés to compare a game to Dark Souls, and I think most of those comparisons are thin. But in Fallen Order's case, Dark Souls was obviously an explicit design inspiration to a degree I haven't yet seen in any other triple-A title that wasn't made by FromSoftware. The comparison is so obvious and central I feel I can't even avoid raising it, as cliché as it is.

However, Fallen Order is a remix of past third-person action successes. It's polished, it's fun, it's challenging, and it's presented with a whole lot of style. From my three hours with it, it seems like a rock-solid game. But don't expect to see any new ideas—just old ideas executed with panache. Sometimes that's all you want, though.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order plays like a safe, conventional adventure with great lightsabers

I don't want to invoke the Dark Souls comparison, but dammit, Jedi Fallen Order makes it impossible not to. In both games, resting respawns the world's enemies, and if you die, you have to defeat the enemy that killed you to get your experience points back. But where Dark Souls' entire setting is deeply rooted in death and rebirth and souls stuck in limbo, and the world is brutally (and consistently) deadly in every way, Fallen Order uses the system because it's mechanically effective, without worrying about the internal logic of it. 

This might all sound nitpicky, because it's just a videogame, man, but it's the best way I can express that Fallen Order's mixture of game conventions can be fun and satisfying in their own right, but fail to mesh into a game that entrances me, the way the best videogames do.

Advertisement

Safe games are rarely the most memorable. Fallen Order's approach to Star Wars, too, feels conventional: the Jedi is good, there are many evil Sith to defeat, and I must become a master and restore the Jedi Order to bring hope to the galaxy. Will we ever see a Star Wars game as bold and subversive as Knights of the Old Republic 2 again? If so, Fallen Order doesn't feel like the game that has something new to say about Star Wars.

But I could be totally wrong, and I hope I am. In three hours, I saw only little bits of Fallen Order's story, and its adventure takes place across multiple planets, including Dathomir and Kashyyyk, famous in Star Wars lore as the home of the night sisters (some wicked nasty Force users) and the wookiees, respectively. Exploring that many Star Wars worlds in this fidelity is exciting. And because Fallen Order is part of the official Star Wars canon, set between Episodes III and IV, we know that Cal's quest must, somehow, end in failure. There sure as hell wasn't a new, flourishing Jedi Order when Luke Skywalker came onto the scene. A big-budget Star Wars game ending in complete tragedy would be bold, and rad.

Playing a small slice of Fallen Order didn't do anything to convince me that its protagonist isn't a boring, missed opportunity. So far, he seems like the least interesting part of his own game, but that tends to happen when you play it safe. I'm hoping Fallen Order has some surprises in store, and something new to say about Star Wars, when it's out on November 15.

Sounds like this will be a great pickup when its on sale for $30.

I'm all about watching someone on Twitch playing this on day one, lol

The gameplay looks pretty boring, imo. Once again, but not exclusively to Disney, this is a lightsaber game where you're holding a glow stick and clubbing people over the head with it. You might get some pc-friendly "glow burns" on a humanoid, but of course it's only going to be the robots and alien monsters where you'll see the appropriate violence. The first Force Unleashed had this problem, but they listened to feedback and fixed it in a non-gory way for FU2. This game clearly decided to not even be aware of the FU franchise and follow the same guidelines that fans demanded at the time...

Then it also looks like there are way too many rail events. There are a lot of clips of the main character climbing and running along large structures (dilapidated bridges, walking ATAT walkers, wall jumping/strafing for long stretches, etc). So it doesn't look like there's going to be much variation with the game aside from "get from point a to point b, have door close behind you and have to fight annoying mini boss, continue to point c, fight main level boss." Eh...

But it's the combat that looks boring. This is an f'n lightaber and force user, but he struggles with one to three Storm Troopers at a time? Each one needing to be 1-on-1 focused on? Yikes. It doesn't look like there's much int he way of environment damage, so areas look large and empty imo. Sure there are environment triggers to use (hit something to make it blow up and kill enemies, etc), but I doubt if you fought someone near a command console that it could be battle damaged by fighting near it.

This game has all the tell tale signs that it might be revolutionary for Disney and their video game makers (being a 3rd person, non micro-transactioned, linear game), but it's a few steps back evolutionary-wise for the fans and Star Wars games as a whole imo. At best it's a so-so platformer, which would be fine if the story was going to be out of this world amazing. But I can almost feel it in my soul that nothing told in this game is going to get anyone excited.

We'll see....

2 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I'm all about watching someone on Twitch playing this on day one, lol

The gameplay looks pretty boring, imo. Once again, but not exclusively to Disney, this is a lightsaber game where you're holding a glow stick and clubbing people over the head with it. You might get some pc-friendly "glow burns" on a humanoid, but of course it's only going to be the robots and alien monsters where you'll see the appropriate violence. The first Force Unleashed had this problem, but they listened to feedback and fixed it in a non-gory way for FU2. This game clearly decided to not even be aware of the FU franchise and follow the same guidelines that fans demanded at the time...

Then it also looks like there are way too many rail events. There are a lot of clips of the main character climbing and running along large structures (dilapidated bridges, walking ATAT walkers, wall jumping/strafing for long stretches, etc). So it doesn't look like there's going to be much variation with the game aside from "get from point a to point b, have door close behind you and have to fight annoying mini boss, continue to point c, fight main level boss." Eh...

But it's the combat that looks boring. This is an f'n lightaber and force user, but he struggles with one to three Storm Troopers at a time? Each one needing to be 1-on-1 focused on? Yikes. It doesn't look like there's much int he way of environment damage, so areas look large and empty imo. Sure there are environment triggers to use (hit something to make it blow up and kill enemies, etc), but I doubt if you fought someone near a command console that it could be battle damaged by fighting near it.

This game has all the tell tale signs that it might be revolutionary for Disney and their video game makers (being a 3rd person, non micro-transactioned, linear game), but it's a few steps back evolutionary-wise for the fans and Star Wars games as a whole imo. At best it's a so-so platformer, which would be fine if the story was going to be out of this world amazing. But I can almost feel it in my soul that nothing told in this game is going to get anyone excited.

We'll see....

did you watch the Easy Allies preview?

Im super excited for this. Can’t wait for it!

4 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I can't unsee that now -- lightsabers bouncing off Storm Trooper armor until the health bar depletes.

24 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m going to need to watch this.  My excitement has been fading as of late. 

I just did, and it is the worst kind of youtube content.  It's essentially a podcast-like discussion over B-role of gameplay.  If they spent the time to actually produce a video, it could have been 5 minutes long instead of 25.  They clearly liked it more than the other previews I read.  It didn't change my perception of what this game will probably be -- a generic souls game with a Star Wars skin that will Metacritic somewhere in the high 70s.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I can't unsee that now -- lightsabers bouncing off Storm Trooper armor until the health bar depletes.

I just did, and it is the worst kind of youtube content.  It's essentially a podcast-like discussion over B-role of gameplay.  If they spent the time to actually produce a video, it could have been 5 minutes long instead of 25.  They clearly liked it more than the other previews I read.  It didn't change my perception of what this game will probably be -- a generic souls game with a Star Wars skin that will Metacritic somewhere in the high 70s.

lol there was nothing wrong with the video. It’s more of a discussion than an in depth gameplay look. They’re talking about their experiences with the game. Not sure how you get a 5 minute video out of that unless you’re trying to play with the sound off. 

There are finishing moves that have already shown the light saber slicing off limbs/impaling enemies. Not sure how much more you could really expect while also keeping it still a game with some challenge. It would be stupid if Stormtroopers were all basically just cannon fodder that you run around slicing up lol. Which if we’re gonna play the “realism” game than how often do you actually see Storm Troopers sliced up in the movies? Usually they just get hit and a black mark and some sparks shoot up. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

lol there was nothing wrong with the video. It’s more of a discussion than an in depth gameplay look. They’re talking about their experiences with the game. Not sure how you get a 5 minute video out of that unless you’re trying to play with the sound off. 

Exactly, it was a rambling, unedited, unscripted conversation -- just like a podcast.

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

There are finishing moves that have already shown the light saber slicing off limbs/impaling enemies. Not sure how much more you could really expect while also keeping it still a game with some challenge. It would be stupid if Stormtroopers were all basically just cannon fodder that you run around slicing up lol. Which if we’re gonna play the “realism” game than how often do you actually see Storm Troopers sliced up in the movies? Usually they just get hit and a black mark and some sparks shoot up. 

:shrug: 

Jedi's are overpowered badasses, lightsabers slice through shit with ease.  Neither Jedi's nor lightsabers are realistic.

https://youtu.be/ZoiRJnr-rtU

Where in any of the movies do Stormtroopers get hit by a lightsaber in their armour and have it bounce off with a black mark?  I don't remember that scene.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

In this game, lightsabers will decapitate and dismember anything that isn't human.  If that's a deal breaker for some, then :shrug:

Seems a little arbitrary to me because swords,  guns or any other weapon you can think of rarely work the way their supposed to in videogames.

Yeah I’m not bothered by it. I’m concerned that the gameplay looked soulless. But I’m still a Star Wars fanatic and I’m sure I won’t be able to pass up a single player Star Wars game. 

13 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yeah I’m not bothered by it. I’m concerned that the gameplay looked soulless. But I’m still a Star Wars fanatic and I’m sure I won’t be able to pass up a single player Star Wars game. 

For me it's more about how gameplay feels than how it looks. Everything I've heard from the impressions I've seen from folks who've played it seems positive. You can definitely choose worse games to ripoff than Dark Souls, God of War, Uncharted and Tomb Raider.

To be clear, I'm not talking shit about anyone that wants to play this game at all. I'm more focused on my own experiences, and I've played this kind of game a hundred times over already:

-Disney Infinity 3.0

-Episode 1 The Phantom Menace

-Star Wars Lego

-Jedi Outcast

-Jedi Knight Jedi Academy

-Force unleashed

-Force unleashed 2

My problems is just that from all the preview videos, Fallen Order kinda looks middle of the road-ish. Four steps forward in terms of graphics, five steps back in terms of game mechanics. I'll watch someone play it with great interest to see what the story is about. But I don't need to spend $65 to do it myself, lol. Hell, spending $100 just so I can get an orange colored saber should be a big enough slap in the face to fans, but even that doesn't bother me.

I don't have much of an opinion on this game other than I'll be trying it thanks to Origin Access. That said, I've always thought a good compromise for lightsaber fighting would be a sort of agility "health bar" that you have to deplete before actually digging into the HP proper, where you and/or the enemies are actually naturally dodging the attacks, with animations as such, so basically it would be exactly the same but the animations would show you dodging each other until you came in for the kill. (In actuality, you'd still be manually dodging as often as possible, with the agility points being lost only when an enemy would've connected with you, initiating an auto-dodge that's clunkier and obviously signalling that you made a mistake.)

I originally figured that would've been best for The Old Republic, since in an MMO you kind of just stand there swinging at each other anyway, but I bet they could make it work decently even for an action game. Of course, it could also feel unsatisfying that you're "missing" them so much, which is simply the problem you run into with overpowered Jedis and their overpowered lightsabers while trying to make a video game. If you think about it for two seconds, you can ask the same exact questions while watching the movies. Instead of holding your lightsabers in a bind like a couple of idiots, why not get into the bind, adjust your stance, and flick your lightsaber on and off real quick to bypass the enemy's lightsaber and just cut them up?

It's the same reason why lightsaber fights are uncoordinated trash where everyone is missing on purpose; the weapon is simply too powerful, so everyone using one has to be totally incompetent at anything resembling swordplay. Honestly if it bothers you here, I urge you not to take an in-depth look at literally any battles in any of the movies. They can actually be painful to look at if you study them too closely. I'm not generally an advocate of "shutting your brain off" to enjoy something, but I see no other option for this if the lightsaber not being OP enough is a problem for you.

26 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Honestly if it bothers you here, I urge you not to take an in-depth look at literally any battles in any of the movies. They can actually be painful to look at if you study them too closely. I'm not generally an advocate of "shutting your brain off" to enjoy something, but I see no other option for this if the lightsaber not being OP enough is a problem for you.

This is literal true of any on screen fight scene involving light sabers or not... none if this shit is "realistic" and any one who thinks it is has never seen a real fight much less been in one. Deliberate misses are what keeps fight scenes from being over in two seconds vs ten minutes.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is literal true of any on screen fight scene involving light sabers or not... none if this shit is "realistic" and any one who thinks it is has never seen a real fight much less been in one. Deliberate misses are what keeps fight scenes from being over in two seconds vs ten minutes.

What I mean is that it's even worse for Star Wars since the choreography is generally really silly and/or bad and nobody uses their weapons in SUPER obvious ways that would make them more deadly, like I said, the ability to flick your lightsaber on and off automatically means no one can properly guard against your strikes, so it's gonna be over even faster than regular swordplay, add on top of that that everyone has magical powers that they never seem to use in tandem with their OP ass laser swords, and you've got yourself fights that are just frustrating (in retrospect, usually you don't notice *too* much the first viewing) to look at, even moreso than typical movie fighting.

In one scene near the end of The Last Jedi, they literally edit a dagger out of one of the stormtrooper's hands (he wields two during the entire fight, and clearly was holding it during this moment) because the choreography was so off. It reappears mere seconds later. It's fun to watch and laugh at, but if you're gonna get upset about it then no Star Wars property is going to satisfy you.

People need to get over the lack of dismemberment. It's not like it's in the movies all that often. The original trilogy had the arm chop in the cantina before they decided that lightsabers cauterized the wounds, and they needed to retcon that scene, then Vader chopping at Obi-Wan only for him to magically disappear, Luke getting his hand sliced off, then Vader too in Return of the Jedi only to show it was a mechanical hand. The prequels had Jango Fett getting decapitated, and then Anakin getting his limbs chopped off. That's basically it in terms of human characters. Sure droids were sliced and diced all the time, but any living, humanoid characters weren't, and when it was, like in the aforementioned scenes, it was done quickly, and stylishly to not focus and dwell on it. It's never been a big thing in the movies, just fans want it in video games because that's the collective fantasy of the power of a lightsaber. Respawn has already said that there will be some dismemberment, but it will be not in a cinematic fashion, just like the movies, so quick cuts/cutaways, obscuring it, and for big dramatic scenes that are important.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like the game is going to play like a melee version of Tomb Raider, which should be fine.  I also be in it for the story and lore, too.

The game looks a bit better than what they showed at E3, but graphically speaking it seems a bit off.  Lighting and shadows bug me; I wonder if there will be a ray-tracing patch or a remaster when the next gen consoles come out because that would solve the issue.

On 10/18/2019 at 9:41 PM, Brick said:

People need to get over the lack of dismemberment. It's not like it's in the movies all that often. The original trilogy had the arm chop in the cantina before they decided that lightsabers cauterized the wounds, and they needed to retcon that scene, then Vader chopping at Obi-Wan only for him to magically disappear, Luke getting his hand sliced off, then Vader too in Return of the Jedi only to show it was a mechanical hand. The prequels had Jango Fett getting decapitated, and then Anakin getting his limbs chopped off. That's basically it in terms of human characters. Sure droids were sliced and diced all the time, but any living, humanoid characters weren't, and when it was, like in the aforementioned scenes, it was done quickly, and stylishly to not focus and dwell on it. It's never been a big thing in the movies, just fans want it in video games because that's the collective fantasy of the power of a lightsaber. Respawn has already said that there will be some dismemberment, but it will be not in a cinematic fashion, just like the movies, so quick cuts/cutaways, obscuring it, and for big dramatic scenes that are important.

I don't care about dismemberment in this game, but saying, "it's not in the movies all that often," and then listing out how it's actually been in almost all of them is silly. :p It happens in each of the first 6 movies, more than 10 times if I'm counting right.