Destiny 2 heading to Steam on October 1, PC version account transfers begin on August 20

From Engadget article that was posted too early and then pulled:

• The core game will be renamed to Destiny 2: New Light
  • Once Shadowkeep launches on September 17th, the base game will go free-to-play and include "all year one content, including "foundational modes, activities and rewards."" So you'll be able to play the base game, as well as the content added as part of the Curse of Osiris and Warmind expansions, for free
  • "This represents a change for the Destiny franchise as it seeks to lure gamers away from popular free titles like Fortnite. Previously, players paid upfront for the game and bought big expansions to gain access to new raids, missions and in-game items, either separately or as an annual pass subscription. Now, the core game will stay free, while additional content will be made available in the form of paid "à la carte" offerings like Shadowkeep."
  • Going forward, no more content will be made exclusive to one platform over others. All platforms will have the same access to all new content at the same time
  • Cross-save will be added for Xbox One, PC, and Google Stadia. No PS4 support for now
  • Soon, the game will move from Battle.net to Steam on PC. Existing Battle.net players will be able to migrate all characters and purchases over to the Steam version once this happens

4 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

From Engadget article that was posted too early and then pulled:

• Once Shadowkeep launches on September 17th, the base game will go free-to-play and include "all year one content, including "foundational modes, activities and rewards."" So you'll be able to play the base game, as well as the content added as part of the Curse of Osiris and Warmind expansions, for free

This part seems the weirdest to me. You just had a new season, raid, content launch and if people were semi interested to buy it, I'd just wait now. I'll get it for free later.

I'd have announced it closer to the release of Shadowkeep and just said that its a standalone expansion.

4 hours ago, Nokt said:

This part seems the weirdest to me. You just had a new season, raid, content launch and if people were semi interested to buy it, I'd just wait now. I'll get it for free later.

I'd have announced it closer to the release of Shadowkeep and just said that its a standalone expansion.

To be fair, the people still playing destiny 2 have already bought this year's season pass. And for new people, they're going to get all of year 1s content for free, but that doesn't include forsaken or the annual pass. What bungie has done has removed the necessity for you to own everything to play the end game. If you don't want to buy forsaken or the next dlc, you can still play gambit with friends, hop in the crucible, run strikes, etc. You can even visit all the locations that would otherwise be locked to the dlc and run patrols and explore and ay the activities there, hoping you get interested and buy the content to play the story that came along with all these places. 

It's a pretty good system, I think it'll liven up the playerbase's quite a lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mo1518 said:

To be fair, the people still playing destiny 2 have already bought this year's season pass. And for new people, they're going to get all of year 1s content for free, but that doesn't include forsaken or the annual pass. What bungie has done has removed the necessity for you to own everything to play the end game. If you don't want to buy forsaken or the next dlc, you can still play gambit with friends, hop in the crucible, run strikes, etc. You can even visit all the locations that would otherwise be locked to the dlc and run patrols and explore and ay the activities there, hoping you get interested and buy the content to play the story that came along with all these places. 

It's a pretty good system, I think it'll liven up the playerbase's quite a lot. 

Oh I definitely think its a great system that they are putting in place. I just think its really weird timing.

• 2 months later...

Bungie reveals Destiny 2 Steam date and cross save details

Destiny 2 will arrive on Steam on October 1, which is the same day that Shadowkeep and New Light (the free to play version) will launch. Existing players can sign up to transfer their accounts, which include all owned content—expansions, passes, Silver, the works—beginning on August 20. And you'll definitely want to do that (if you want to keep playing Destiny 2, anyway), because if you don't move it, it sounds like you'll lose it.